GTX 980 has 2048 CUDA cores, not 1920

Bloodyvalley

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Header.jpg

GeForce GTX 980 has 16 Streaming Multiprocessors Maxwell (SMM), which give us 2048 CUDA cores in total. For comparison, GTX 970 has only 13 SMMs (1664 CUDAs), so there’s a 384 CUDA difference between these two cards.

GeForce GTX 980 is advertised as GK104 replacement, it is much more power efficient and much more powerful than first Kepler processor.

We will cover 2nd Generation Maxwell in detail very soon. Maxwell GM204 has some very neat features for gamers.

This post was only meant to confirm there are 2048 CUDAs in 980, hence not the most detailed table below.

Stay tunned.

Source

Also, it will feature 3 displayport connectors:

With its next-generation GeForce GTX 980 graphics card, NVIDIA has taken the initiative to help phase out DVI, the digital display connector that has had its reign since the dawn of flatscreen monitors. In its place, NVIDIA is promoting DisplayPort. A picture of the rear I/O shield of a GeForce GTX 980 graphics card reveals that the card features no less than five display connectors, a staggering three DisplayPorts, and one each of HDMI 2.0 and dual-link DVI (with analog/VGA pins for compatibility with D-Sub only monitors). The rear vent pattern has been revamped to triangles, so vents can be cut through in vacant spaces between the connectors, without compromising on the shield's structural rigidity. This pattern made its debut with the dual-GPU GeForce GTX TITAN-Z.

Source

Hopefully it will be good

I Still don't believe it... I'm going to be really pissy till I see final specs.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I fucking hate rumours but should I even consider stepping up from SLI 780TI classifieds?

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I for one, am super duper pumped for this shit!!!!!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I haven't seen this yet so give or take the performance Maxwell should have, this'll be fuckin' fast.

2048 cuda cores should equal the performance of 27xx kepler cores in 1st generation maxwell and 2867 kepler cores in 2nd generation maxwell... Not impressed if Nvidia does this... I'd rather see a 970ti. If there is 2560 cores on the die and only releases 2048, nvidia would have pulled a HUGE DICK MOVE ON THEIR PART.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

That'll be awesome.

But is no one going to point out the fact that the GEFORCE GTX logo is on the wrong side? I know it's a rendered picture but can't you just show off the other side instead?

Not saying its the art department... but its the art department.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

That'll be awesome.

But is no one going to point out the fact that the GEFORCE GTX logo is on the wrong side? I know it's a rendered picture but can't you just show off the other side instead?

Its on the correct side its just upsidedown for a general atx spec case.

780ti Will be faster. X04 GPUs are worthless X10 gpus are where it's at

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

2048 cuda cores should equal the performance of 27xx kepler cores in 1st generation maxwell and 2867 kepler cores in 2nd generation maxwell... Not impressed if Nvidia does this... I'd rather see a 970ti. If there is 2560 cores on the die and only releases 2048, nvidia would have pulled a HUGE DICK MOVE ON THEIR PART.

They're obviously keeping it up their sleeve until AMD releases something even remotely competitive to the 980. Nobody said you had to buy in RIGHT. AT. LAUNCH. anyway lol

Edit: Not defending them, btw, I hate it just as much but there's a finite amount of care I'll give about American companies using shady tactics.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

780ti Will be faster. X04 GPUs are worthless X10 gpus are where it's at

What you just said... MEANT NOTHING TO ANY OF US! 

and it's Gm200 so far. GM204 are mobile parts and thats what these are...

They're obviously keeping it up their sleeve until AMD releases something even remotely competitive to the 980. Nobody said you had to buy in RIGHT. AT. LAUNCH. anyway lol

I know and i'm probably not going to buy it at all. 960/970 is plenty for me till 20nm. AMD has nothing up their sleeve till Q2 2015... Not unless they throw more CU's into existed hawaii with ~300+W and call it something competetive

Nvidia is just pissing on their consumers now... I know they can make a 2560 core maxwell chip on 28nm. 

Computing enthusiast. 

If this sh.. is true, that's plenty of CUDA cores and bandwidth lost just for 4GB's of RAM and a lower TDP.

Feels like Nvidia is saying: chill out, just buy these cards because we're not ready for 4K yet but when we are you'll have to buy a new GPU again, beyotch!

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

This is why I'm going to wait. I want to see if their is locked parts of the chip.

I wonder if they'll have a GM/GK 210 or a kepler replacement.

MARK MY WORDS

THERE WILL BE A TITAN X.

hzTkUwW.png

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What? It's upside down yes, but it's still wrong.

It being upsidedown is no where near as bad as it being on the wrong side. Also said and other brands have released whole cards with logo's and text facing the wrong direction.

It's a transitionary architecture, the revolutionary stuff will be released in the next series.

It being upsidedown is no where near as bad as it being on the wrong side. Also said and other brands have released whole cards with logo's and text facing the wrong direction.

Are you saying the Gigabyte GTX 780(Ti) GHz Edition? :3 Fail backplate.

It's a transitionary architecture, the revolutionary stuff will be released in the next series.

Even kepler from fermi was a big move... They better realize a nice 960 though... I'm not even buying this generation's flagship. I just hate companies milking. 

This is why I'm going to wait. I want to see if their is locked parts of the chip.

I wonder if they'll have a GM/GK 210 or a kepler replacement.

MARK MY WORDS

THERE WILL BE A TITAN X.

-snip-

I think they should name their next "titan" Gtx tianhe

Computing enthusiast. 

148 Watts on a 70 series card is insane. If an 960 can use sub 120 watts that would be a whole new world of efficiency

PSSSHHHH I have 1056 Fermi CUDA Cores in my beastly machine

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I'll just keep waiting, and waiting. Not getting caught buying what is a midranged chip labeled as flagship. Going to wait for the full maxwell flagship ( GM210 ) before I decide on anything

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

PSSSHHHH I have 1056 Fermi CUDA Cores in my beastly machine

I only have 480 :(

And that shit is still hot, how does your triple card system survive?

I'll just keep waiting, and waiting. Not getting caught buying what is a midranged chip labeled as flagship. Going to wait for the full maxwell flagship ( GM210 ) before I decide on anything

Might as will buy our PhysX cards now? xD

Computing enthusiast.