GTX 980 has 2048 CUDA cores, not 1920

Bloodyvalley

I don't know, but, something seems..... off about it

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

Great way to misinterpret. Of course they'll stick to 28nm on older SKU's.

For newer ones too. The 300s series is 28nm(not AMD's fault) The refresh is going to be 28nm. Carrizo is 28nm (not AMD's fault). Carrizo enterprise is 28nm (yes AMD's fault unless they change the launch order so it goes first). Do we need to quote the interview in which Reed claimed 28nm had a lot of room for profit over the next 4 years?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

For newer ones too. The 300s series is 28nm(not AMD's fault) The refresh is going to be 28nm. Carrizo is 28nm (not AMD's fault). Carrizo enterprise is 28nm (yes AMD's fault unless they change the launch order so it goes first). Do we need to quote the interview in which Reed claimed 28nm had a lot of room for profit over the next 4 years?

Do we also need a quote from Lisa Su saying how the transition to 20nm is confirmed for 2015? Of course there's profit to be had in 28nm considering how mature it is. And so what if the 300-series is on 28nm, since so are the 800-series from the green side.

Edit: I'm also deeply concerned about the Carrizo's enterprise lineup possibly sticking with 28nm. That'd be an utterly stupid decision.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

No, DVI and VGA should both disappear. No more big connectors. HDMI 2.0 is as good as DP 1.3.

DP 1.3 has twice the amount of bandwidth available as HDMI 2.0, and also supports adaptive sync and lots of other new features.

I think another big factor will be clock speed and functional units. Maxwell has more TMUs, ROPs and all that good stuff, which definitely improves performance.

Also, why you can't obviously compare clock speeds apples to apples between generations, the 980 is speculated to opperate at 200-300 Mhz higher base, non turbo clock speed, which should give fairly huge performance gains

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

im gonna guess 980 will perform on par or better then a 780ti, which makes sense since since its technically the 780 replacement.

It's quite obvious that nvidia wants to milk us for another year before they release a X10 GPU which will then make a big leap and cost a fortune, just like the original Titan.

Anyways, I'm stoked for official performance reviews from LTT, overclocked + non overclocked.

A gtx 780 might still be the better option for top end bang/buck wise.

who cares...

Might as will buy our PhysX cards now? xD

No need! I still have a boxed AGEIA PhysX card. All sorted. :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I'm happy that there is a hdmi 2.0 port, but I hope the displayports are in 1.3 standard...

Do we also need a quote from Lisa Su saying how the transition to 20nm is confirmed for 2015? Of course there's profit to be had in 28nm considering how mature it is. And so what if the 300-series is on 28nm, since so are the 800-series from the green side.

Edit: I'm also deeply concerned about the Carrizo's enterprise lineup possibly sticking with 28nm. That'd be an utterly stupid decision.

Double check your quote. Production on 20nm begins in 2015. Carrizo is in full swing right already. Nothing other than Zen is currently slotted for 20nm on AMD's roadmaps.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

DP 1.3 has twice the amount of bandwidth available as HDMI 2.0, and also supports adaptive sync and lots of other new features.

HDMI 2.0 guarantees 4K @60Hz, and no one is breaking tha barrier anytime soon. It also works with G-sync.

All I'm saying is DVI should go. It takes too much real-estate.

I'm happy that there is a hdmi 2.0 port, but I hope the displayports are in 1.3 standard...

1.2a. 1.3 was just ratified. It's not coming to hardware until late 2015 at the earliest.

HDMI 2.0 guarantees 4K @60Hz, and no one is breaking tha barrier anytime soon. It also works with G-sync.

All I'm saying is DVI should go. It takes too much real-estate.

Yes i agree with you, we only need a hdmi port and 2 or 3 d.p. ports .

Yes i agree with you, we only need a hdmi port and 2 or 3 d.p. ports .

2 HDMI and 3 DP, for those of us who like to hook up to a projector or TV or have older monitors.

Yep, not going to upgrade till Pascal or unless AMD releases something that's actually worth upgrading.
Maxwell cores or not 2048 cores is a joke and if the 256bit/7ghz bus rumors are true than the card will have poor 1440p/4K performance.

RTX2070OC 

970 looks to be more impressive than the 980 imo.

Thats how the 670 was when 600 series launched.

No, DVI and VGA should both disappear. No more big connectors. HDMI 2.0 is as good as DP 1.3.

Actually its not just even looking at the resolution much less everything else it can do but thats fine since their aimed at different markets.

No need! I still have a boxed AGEIA PhysX card. All sorted. :P

Is it PCI or PCI-E? I might be interested.

Is it PCI or PCI-E? I might be interested.

It's the original PCI one from BFG.

It's quite obvious that nvidia wants to milk us for another year before they release a X10 GPU which will then make a big leap and cost a fortune, just like the original Titan.

Anyways, I'm stoked for official performance reviews from LTT, overclocked + non overclocked.

A gtx 780 might still be the better option for top end bang/buck wise.

The 780 won''t be cheaper much....at least not where I live. Prices for old flagship GPUs doesn't fall, since the only people buying them are for SLI.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

It's the original PCI one from BFG.

dang I would have been interested in the native PCI-E one.

The 780 won''t be cheaper much....at least not where I live. Prices for old flagship GPUs doesn't fall, since the only people buying them are for SLI.

itll fall eventually, just not right away because most people wont even know the 800 series launched but I imagine by the next quarter it will have dropped in price.

dang I would have been interested in the native PCI-E one.

The PCIe was made by Dell for their XPS 630 systems. It was OEM only. All the others were PCI, bar another Dell special MXM laptop one.

The Dell OEM one was the Dell W056C if you want to try finding it, although there are some super rare BFG, and ASUS OEM's somewhere hidden away.

The PCIe was made by Dell for their XPS 630 systems. It was OEM only. All the others were PCI, bar another Dell special MXM laptop one.

The Dell OEM one was the Dell W056C if you want to try finding it, although there are some super rare BFG, and ASUS OEM's somewhere hidden away.

Aren't the Ageia Physx-cards actually worth some money to the few computer tech collectors? I remember a couple years ago some fella bought one of the earliest ones for ~150 euros here in Finland.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

I thought there were some that were PCI but adapter to PCI-E onboard like many things back then. If not that might be what the dell it. It happened with a bunch of stuff back then and fopr quite a few years to come.

Aren't the Ageia Physx-cards actually worth some money to the few computer tech collectors? I remember a couple years ago some fella bought one of the earliest ones for ~150 euros here in Finland.

There's always someone that wants something, and I'm sure some do want to collect them. I'll be holding onto mine for some time. :)

I thought there were some that were PCI but adapter to PCI-E onboard like many things back then. If not that might be what the dell it. It happened with a bunch of stuff back then and fopr quite a few years to come.

I checked online and it seems PCIe was PCIe x1, so a different connector entirely, and OEM only. 

I am really pumped for this no matter the specs. I've been holding off with my 6790 for to long and was waiting for new nvidia to drop.