GTX 980 has 2048 CUDA cores, not 1920

Bloodyvalley

2048 cuda cores should equal the performance of 27xx kepler cores in 1st generation maxwell and 2867 kepler cores in 2nd generation maxwell... Not impressed if Nvidia does this... I'd rather see a 970ti. If there is 2560 cores on the die and only releases 2048, nvidia would have pulled a HUGE DICK MOVE ON THEIR PART.

Well AMD would need 20nm to make anything better then what they have.

I really get what you mean and I hate milking too, but this makes sense for Nvidia.....Why should they show their hand?

Want a big upgrade too, but I doubt we will get you.

Will have to buy a 980, no matter what. im without a GPU at the moment and there isn't much sense in buying a 780:P

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

That's about 3.2x the performance of a GTX 750 Ti.

750 Ti = 640 Cuda Cores

(allegedly GTX 980 specs) : 2048 Cuda Cores

2048/640 = 3.2

3? half life 3 confirmed

according to anandtech bench GPU 14 the 750 ti gets 28.7 FPS on Ultra in BF4.

bAL3d.png

so in theory a GTX 980 would get 91.9 FPS in BF4.

meanwhile a 780 Ti gets 81.6 FPS in BF4.

No more DVI? Sacrilege!

If they want to ditch anything they should be ditching HDMI.

The bright side of this paradigm shift is that if it catches on and DVI gets phased out, DVI/VGA/HDMI only monitors should go down in price.

how does this compare to the gtx 780?

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

This is why I'm going to wait. I want to see if their is locked parts of the chip.

I wonder if they'll have a GM/GK 210 or a kepler replacement.

MARK MY WORDS

THERE WILL BE A TITAN X.

hzTkUwW.png

Pretty sure a Titan X would be two Titan Z's

Titan's would be 3200 cuda cores.

Meh maybe Nvidia's getting cheaper xD or maybe they're planning the fully unlocked chip to be 980TI or 985 or 1080 xD

No more DVI? Sacrilege!

Idk man I prefer HDMI... No annoying locking mechanism, Lower Profile connector, No more damn cheap converters to VGA, and HDMI can carry an audiosignal...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

~sniiiip~

2048 x 0.35 = 716.8 + 2048 = ~2,764 kepler core performance.

Whereabouts did you find that?

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Idk man I prefer HDMI... No annoying locking mechanism, Lower Profile connector, No more damn cheap converters to VGA, and HDMI can carry an audiosignal...

Gonna leave this here for you to watch:

The "annoying" locking mechanism is in fact a functional part of monitor cables since it improves connectivity and prevents accidental loss of connection. You don't have to lock a DVI connector after all, but the option is nice if you're setting something up for a (semi-)permanent basis.

Whilst it's less bulky than DVI I wouldn't call HDMI "low profile", I mean realistically it's going to take up the exact same amount of space in the vast majority of circumstances. DVI is also technically capable of carrying an audio signal I believe, but it was never implemented - which isn't a big deal because who uses the onboard speakers in a monitor anyway?

The simple fact is that DVI is way older than HDMI yet has consistently managed to stay ahead in terms of specification because it was designed with added capacity for the future whereas HDMI was designed for 1080p @ 30Hz. It's also more flexible - DVI can carry analogue signals so it'll work with legacy equipment, without compromising on working with modern equipment since it can carry a digital signal at the same time, and as mentioned has managed to stay ahead of HDMI all this time because it's just better.

That said, DP is obviously superior to both so I am ofc glad to see Nvidia at least replacing DVI with that.

HIGHER NUMBER! BETTER THING!!!!!

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Gonna leave this here for you to watch:

Yeah IMHO DisplayPort>HDMI>DVI>VGA ... Do you not know common AV cables? HDMI is 2160p compatible (and gonna gain 60hz with the hdmi 2.0 refresh)  DVI is falling behind with 1600p max, and it's nearly as ancient as VGA to me it's sort of a stepping stone between the two

/snip

the locking mechanism is just bulky for those who don't use it... Yeah Lowprofile was bad terminology on my part...  Yeah this part sucks and who said anything? about on monitor sound (my monitor actually has  an inmonitor amp compatible with sound through HDMI or DP) between that and my speaker system (which is getting a bit old sadly) I've got pretty good sound and with DVI it's essentially dying at this point it IS legacy ... and idk 1600p 60 hz vs Hdmis 2160p @ 30 60hz (when 2.0 drops) w/ sound and much less bulky connector... it's mostly a matter of opinion but my opinion as that dvi should just die and make way for DisplayPort and HDMI (but mostly display port) 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Whereabouts did you find that?

the picture you snipped... maxwell cores are 35% better then kepler cores so of course 2048 maxwell cores x 0.35 (35%) should give you the the core count when comparing to kepler.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

The "annoying" locking mechanism is in fact a functional part of monitor cables since it improves connectivity and prevents accidental loss of connection. You don't have to lock a DVI connector after all, but the option is nice if you're setting something up for a (semi-)permanent basis.

Whilst it's less bulky than DVI I wouldn't call HDMI "low profile", I mean realistically it's going to take up the exact same amount of space in the vast majority of circumstances. DVI is also technically capable of carrying an audio signal I believe, but it was never implemented - which isn't a big deal because who uses the onboard speakers in a monitor anyway?

The simple fact is that DVI is way older than HDMI yet has consistently managed to stay ahead in terms of specification because it was designed with added capacity for the future whereas HDMI was designed for 1080p @ 30Hz. It's also more flexible - DVI can carry analogue signals so it'll work with legacy equipment, without compromising on working with modern equipment since it can carry a digital signal at the same time, and as mentioned has managed to stay ahead of HDMI all this time because it's just better.

That said, DP is obviously superior to both so I am ofc glad to see Nvidia at least replacing DVI with that.

There are mini and micro HDMI but I really dont like either. There is also mini DVI which is something that should have never happened.

HDMi is roughly half the width of DVI and is thinner but yea I wouldnt consider it "low profile". The DVI spec can not carry audio at all.

HDMI exceeded DVi with 1.4 if not 1.3b. Initial HDMI wasnt even designed for 1080p30 the non high speed rated cable can only do 720p30. Analog DVI really isnt used as its just carrying the signal for VGA in a different pinout and almost always converted to the other cable type. It can not carry digital and analog signals at the same time.

The HDMI spec was never designed for the PC it was designed for the Home Theater and evolved along with that technology.

Youll likely still see DVI-I for quite some time since it can be VGA, DVI, and HDMI with passive adapters. DP can be all of these things but it can only be properly passively adapted to HDMI 1920x1200p60 with stereo audio.

Addition: Also miniDP is pretty solid I just wish it was locking or had a retention mechanism.

the picture you snipped... maxwell cores are 35% better then kepler cores so of course 2048 maxwell cores x 0.35 (35%) should give you the the core count when comparing to kepler.

Nah I mean where did you find that picture?

What you just said... MEANT NOTHING TO ANY OF US! 

By X04 I mean any 04 revision of an architecture IE GK104 and now GM104

the Full fledged X10 and (blank)10 chip aka GK 110 and GF110 were the chips people cared about. The lower end chips are like GK104 forgettable as is the 770 which uses it. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

By X04 I mean any 04 revision of an architecture IE GK104 and now GM104

the Full fledged X10 and (blank)10 chip aka GK 110 and GF110 were the chips people cared about. The lower end chips are like GK104 forgettable as is the 770 which uses it. 

I know what you meant. but it wasn't really helpful. we already know this chip isn't their best.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Getting pretty excited if these rumours are true. Still kinda worried that we'll be stuck on 28nm for a while.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Ah cheers

Keep in mind though, these companies love to puff themselves up. All of them do it, AMD, Nvidia, Intel, all of them. I never really expect anything they say to be accurate, I just go by what the reviewers say.

What you mean is x1.35 so it's equivalent to 2765 kepler cores vs 2880 for the 780Ti and 2304 for the 780. Of course clockspeeds will be different so it remains to be seen how close the performance will be to the Ti.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

No more DVI? Sacrilege!

No, DVI and VGA should both disappear. No more big connectors. HDMI 2.0 is as good as DP 1.3.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Getting pretty excited if these rumours are true. Still kinda worried that we'll be stuck on 28nm for a while.

Again, dumb AMD CEO says 28nm is here to stay for a few years har har!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

970 looks to be more impressive than the 980 imo.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

970 looks to be more impressive than the 980 imo.

^ this :)

What you mean is x1.35 so it's equivalent to 2765 kepler cores vs 2880 for the 780Ti and 2304 for the 780. Of course clockspeeds will be different so it remains to be seen how close the performance will be to the Ti.

We have yet to see I guess... But maxwell is mainly doing more with less so I guess we could be surprised.

Computing enthusiast. 

Again, dumb AMD CEO says 28nm is here to stay for a few years har har!

Great way to misinterpret. Of course they'll stick to 28nm on older SKU's.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling