GTX 980 has 2048 CUDA cores, not 1920

Bloodyvalley

I will be buying a 980, you can wait for the next big thing until you die in this market. Gotta bite sometime.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

dont care for rumours until they are confirmed. keep spinning dat rumour mill :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I only have 480 :(

And that shit is still hot, how does your triple card system survive?

Oh yeah it's like having three hair driers in the rear of my system

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Any chance this thing (whatever it ends up being) WON'T outperform the 780ti?

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Any chance this thing (whatever it ends up being) WON'T outperform the 780ti?

I am willing to speculate that it will slightly outperform the 780ti, but no one really knows, well, no one can really say publicly.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Time to save & replace my 560ti.... no job dangit

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Are you saying the Gigabyte GTX 780(Ti) GHz Edition? :3 Fail backplate.

I believe the mars had one too.

As long as the 980 meets or beats the 780 Ti I ill be buying two as soon as the high end aftermarket ones are available.

So lets look at some numbers... (Amount of CUDA cores)

GTX 650ti BOOST         768

GTX 770                      1536

GTX 780                      2304

GTX 780ti                    2880

GTX 750ti                      640

GTX 980                      2048    (rumored, I guess?)

Considering the 750ti does a lot with what it has, I guess you could expect the 980 to do the same, so is it just going to perform the same as the 780? Is it pretty much going to be a 780 with better power consumption, perhaps better overclockability?

Pretty boring considering the amount of hype it's had if you ask me.

I know it's not that easy to guage performance based on the amount of CUDA cores alone, but clock speeds and the like won't make that much of a difference, will they?

Edit: Threw the 650ti BOOST in there since it has a similar amount of CUDA cores as the 750ti. After having a quick squizz at some reviews, it looks like the 650ti BOOST and the 750ti trade blows despite that CUDA core difference. So if they perform the same, based off some quick, rough maths, should Maxwell perform 16.67% better with the same amount of CUDA cores or have I done something wrong?

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

So lets look at some numbers... (Amount of CUDA cores)

GTX 770          1536

GTX 780          2304

GTX 780ti        2880

GTX 750ti        640

GTX 980          2048    (rumored, I guess?)

Considering the 750ti does a lot with what it has, I guess you could expect the 980 to do the same, so is it just going to perform the same as the 780? Is it pretty much going to be a 780 with better power consumption, perhaps better overclockability?

Pretty boring considering the amount of hype it's had if you ask me.

I know it's not that easy to guage performance based on the amount of CUDA cores alone, but clock speeds and the like won't make that much of a difference, will they?

2048 maxwell cores is still a lot more then performance then a titan non black.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Header.jpg

GeForce GTX 980 has 16 Streaming Multiprocessors Maxwell (SMM), which give us 2048 CUDA cores in total. For comparison, GTX 970 has only 13 SMMs (1664 CUDAs), so there’s a 384 CUDA difference between these two cards.

GeForce GTX 980 is advertised as GK104 replacement, it is much more power efficient and much more powerful than first Kepler processor.

We will cover 2nd Generation Maxwell in detail very soon. Maxwell GM204 has some very neat features for gamers.

This post was only meant to confirm there are 2048 CUDAs in 980, hence not the most detailed table below.

Stay tunned.

Source

Also, it will feature 3 displayport connectors:

Source

Hopefully it will be good

Any idea on how much it's going to cost?

Any idea on how much it's going to cost?

likely the same as usual

2048 maxwell cores is still a lot more then performance then a titan non black.

A Titan with 2688 CUDA cores? Yeah, I don't know about that, mate.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

More rumors I don't care about. Seriously people. Unless Nvidia actually posted it on their site, don't post it in the news subforum since it isn't news.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

A Titan with 2688 CUDA cores? Yeah, I don't know about that, mate.

nvidia-maxwell-performance-kepler.jpg

2048 x 0.35 = 716.8 + 2048 = ~2,764 kepler core performance.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I Still don't believe it... I'm going to be really pissy till I see final specs.

Forcing AMD to go second and reveal their hand. If the 390 and X are strong competition, BOOM: 3200-core 980Ti.

Classic Nvidia.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Forcing AMD to go second and reveal their hand. If the 390 and X are strong competition, BOOM: 3200-core 980Ti.

Classic Nvidia.

Well AMD would need 20nm to make anything better then what they have.

Computing enthusiast. 

This is why I'm going to wait. I want to see if their is locked parts of the chip.

I wonder if they'll have a GM/GK 210 or a kepler replacement.

MARK MY WORDS

THERE WILL BE A TITAN X.

hzTkUwW.png

It's already called Prometheus.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well AMD would need 20nm to make anything better then what they have.

And Nvidia knows that, just as I know that. The 4096-core Hawaii WCCF is sounding good about now :P

It's already called Prometheus.

Where can I learn more?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Where can I learn more?

Somewhere on this forum. I saw it early last week.

If there is 2560 cores on the die and only releases 2048, nvidia would have pulled a HUGE DICK MOVE ON THEIR PART.

Just leaves room for a "Maxwell" Titan xD just be glad it has 2048 instead of 1920 (assuming this is accurate at all) and it's even supposed to be a GK107 replacement I believe xD sounds like they're gonna repeat the 680 as a lowball followed by le titan

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Just leaves room for a "Maxwell" Titan xD just be glad it has 2048 instead of 1920 (assuming this is accurate at all) and it's even supposed to be a GK107 replacement I believe xD sounds like they're gonna repeat the 680 as a lowball followed by le titan

Titan's would be 3200 cuda cores.

Computing enthusiast.