1. 1. What OS?

• Windows 7
    • Windows 8/8.1
    • Windows 10
    • OSX
    • Linux
    • Other

:wacko: :o  i'm not able to play BF-4 and Far cray 4 on it then ? :(

You can also dual-boot both operating systems. I believe it would just ask you which one to use on a restart. I'm not aware of any downsides to dual booting, if it's done correctly,

no not yet :/  

so laptop on ubuntu and rig on windows .....period

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Honestly, I think the only reason to stick with Windows would be software compatibility. Linux generally seems to beat Windows on most, if not all, other aspects.

You can also dual-boot both operating systems. I believe it would just ask you which one to use on a restart. I'm not aware of any downsides to dual booting, if it's done correctly,

i've seen dual booting of windows 7 and 8 but not linux and windows at a time on same system ....

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Honestly, I think the only reason to stick with Windows would be software compatibility. Linux generally seems to beat Windows on most, if not all, other aspects.

from a businessman's view what i am reading about ubuntu .......man......... i need ubuntu not windows for my office work ...

i've seen dual booting of windows 7 and 8 but not linux and windows at a time on same system ....

You almost definitely could do it. Here's some info on it.

That's how a man helps ......much appreciated man....hats off to you .....Thanks :)

by the way how big is the download file ? 64 bit?

That's how a man helps ......much appreciated man....hats off to you .....Thanks :)

No problem dude! Happy to help!

by the way how big is the download file ? 64 bit?

Oh you're testing my memory here LOL. According to Linux Mint's website, the 64bit OS, with the codecs, is a 1.4GB download, but I thought I remember it being more than that. Regardless, it should be enough to fit on a DVD (not a CD, unfortunately), or a USB drive. If you don't have any blank DVDs, you can get some at a local store or on Amazon for pretty cheap. They're handy to have around, anyway.

Why is linux mint and ubuntu two different options? Just why...

Windows 10 TP, because.. screw it, I don't need a reason

Also, a myriad of linux version on my little army of arm devices

Why is linux mint and ubuntu two different options? Just why...

Because Mint owners don't like their OS to be compared with lesser distros.

:P

Selected Mint even though I spend most of my time in Win7 for work.  However if I really have the choice, I'd run Vista. 

There are more Linux distros than Ubuntu and Mint. I favor Deepin and would completely abandon Windows were I not a gamer.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Windows 8.1 Pro on my Desktop because better game optimization and i love the menu. Ubuntu on netbook because it runs better on the low spec netbook.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Because Mint owners don't like their OS to be compared with lesser distros.

:P

Selected Mint even though I spend most of my time in Win7 for work.  However if I really have the choice, I'd run Vista. 

Thats not the problem, the problem is that mint/ubuntu are both essentially the same, just different DE's and applications, etc. There needs just one option called "Linux Distro" or have an option for every different major version like Debian/Arch/Fedora/etc...

Windows 7, because windows vista can suck it, and windows 8 can shove it. I'll see how windows 10 pans out, and maybe buy that.

Windows 7 and above users will have the ability to upgrade to W10 for free for a year.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Windows 7 for Creative Cloud.

Arch Linux for everything else. And I'm just starting to get into FreeBSD. 

I use Windows 8.1 personally. I personally find it works better for me than Windows 7.  Although some would argue Windows 7 is way better, I still prefer 8.1. Not 8.  8 was a mess. 

I also like Ubuntu, I don't like Linux Mint, mainly because of their lack of security by default, so I don't recommend them.   But Ubuntu is fine, I like pure Debian too.  

I also do like Windows 7, its a good operating system and is great for people who like the start menu.  

I'm using Windows 7. I really don't have any reason to switch/upgrade.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

• 1 month later...

What do you prefer Windows, Linux, or Mac? 

Massively depends.

I'd much rather be sat at my MacBook Pro for the evening on the sofa browsing the web than I would be my PC.  For work purposes I prefer windows just because I know it inside and out which is kind of a necessity in my job...

Linux I use for FTP and that's about it.  Never really spent much time with it.

OSX is worst IMO.

Like Windows best, just because I have not used Linux that much.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/