565 members have voted

1. 1. What OS?

• Windows 7
    • Windows 8/8.1
    • Windows 10
    • OSX
    • Linux
    • Other

I mean as long as you have an antivirus and are browsing wisely, you should be alright with Windows for the most part. However, I believe I heard a statistic (no idea where), that on average the Windows user comes across a virus every 30-40 minutes. I have no idea if that's true or not.

The statement that Linux is safer because it's less used is for the most part a myth. Most servers, I believe, use a Linux variation, so there's a lot of incentive for hackers to exploit security issues. I believe the two best reasons that Linux is relatively secure is that it requires an admin password for pretty much any change you try to do to the system, and that it's open source community tends to report and fix security problems.

As far as differences between Ubuntu and Linux Mint, I believe the biggest one is the desktop environment. Linux Mint seems to be more similar to Windows, with some OSX-like features, whereas Ubuntu looks to me like an iOS/OSX hybrid, but I haven't used that OS personally. I believe it's just a matter of preference.

every server in company is based on Linux . my I.T manager put all of them on " Linux Backtrack RC3" as i remember the name when i approved it .

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

will the docs created on the alternative open on MS-Office coz not all of managers have ubuntu and they are not that change lovers lol. they are above 40 and they like to have MS-office .

You can create MS-Office readable files, in .docx, yes. It gives me an alert that some features may not work properly, but I've tested all major ones, and they seem to work fine. I don't know if Stock Exchange Spy will work in it, but there's probably an alternative out there. Like I said, not a lot of software is directly compatible (but you can use Wine or something similar to use Windows applications in Linux, if you need), but there are a lot of open-source alternatives like LibreOffice, Gimp (not sure if it's open source, but it's at least free) and Firefox.

windows 7 on my desktop because its the only windows OS i have like recently. linux mint 17.1 on my laptop because i like its interface and it runs what i need. xenserver on my server as its a nice hypervisor and i enjoy it. most of my virtual machines are ubuntu server. but i do have one running windows server 2008R2 and then one with debian.

are you running ISP or you are a stock broker ?

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Win 8.1 and Ubuntu on laptop, 7 on desktop.

Windows were more for convenience at the time. I got Ubuntu for software development work.

You can create MS-Office readable files, in .docx, yes. It gives me an alert that some features may not work properly, but I've tested all major ones, and they seem to work fine. I don't know if Stock Exchange Spy will work in it, but there's probably an alternative out there. Like I said, not a lot of software is directly compatible (but you can use Wine or something similar to use Windows applications in Linux, if you need), but there are a lot of open-source alternatives like LibreOffice, Gimp (not sure if it's open source, but it's at least free) and Firefox.

i actually love to play with compatibility issues and make them working in even real life . .....its will be fun ... and as i'm reading about linux .... its seems like more of an real operating system then windows ......may be i'm wrong but according to my low level of information ...Linux is operating system it self where windows is a GUI of dos ..am in wrong ?

Win 8.1 and Ubuntu on laptop, 7 on desktop.

Windows were more for convenience at the time. I got Ubuntu for software development work.

so Ubuntu is a developer's OS too?

i actually love to play with compatibility issues and make them working in even real life . .....its will be fun ... and as i'm reading about linux .... its seems like more of an real operating system then windows ......may be i'm wrong but according to my low level of information ...Linux is operating system it self where windows is a GUI of dos ..am in wrong ?

Windows hasn't been DOS for a long time..

every server in company is based on Linux . my I.T manager put all of them on " Linux Backtrack RC3" as i remember the name when i approved it .

"backtrack"... wat

I'd have a talk with you're IT guy...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Windows 7

+Its easy to use

+Media Center

+Avoids metro when using Media Center

Windows 8 (soon to be upgrading to 8.1)

+Easy to use familiar interface, aside from Metro

+Supported Software

+Great for gaming

+Works better on older hardware than 7.

OpenElec

+Lightweight and snappy even on old hardware

+XBMC is a great Media Center

+Easy to Use

+Free (edit cant believe I forgot this

-Creating and playing around with Config Files

Linux Mint 12.04

+Looks nice

+Easy to Use

+Runs well on Old-timey Netbook

+Windows XP is no Longer Supported.

+Long Term Support

+Free (edit cant believe I forgot this)

-Doesn't work as well as XP with certain drivers

-Linux can be more fiddly

OSX 10.9

+Even easier to use then Windows

+I like user the interface more

+Works well with some other Apple Devices

+Bootcamp was a nice thing, no longer used though

"backtrack"... wat

I'd have a talk with you're IT guy...

Is there a problem ? plz advice coz security is information is my main concern.

do you know that you can make a poll 

windows 8.1 because fast boot times 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

Is there a problem ? plz advice coz security is information is my main concern.

Backtrack is old hacking software bro

googlez...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

Windows 7

+Its easy to use

+Media Center

+Avoids metro when using Media Center

Windows 8 (soon to be upgrading to 8.1)

+Easy to use familiar interface, aside from Metro

+Supported Software

+Great for gaming

+Works better on older hardware than 7.

OpenElec

+Lightweight and snappy even on old hardware

+XBMC is a great Media Center

+Easy to Use

-Creating and playing around with Config Files

Linux Mint 12.04

+Looks nice

+Easy to Use

+Runs well on Old-timey Netbook

+Windows XP is no Longer Supported.

+Long Term Support

-Doesn't work as well as XP with certain drivers

-Linux can be more fiddly

OSX 10.9

+Even easier to use then Windows

+I like user the interface more

+Works well with some other Apple Devices

+Bootcamp was a nice thing, no longer used though

That's what i call an answer ......:)

Backtrack is old hacking software bro

googlez...

Actually we had 2 hacker's attacks 5 months ago we were on redhat at that time . the i.t manager is an ethical hacker too. he told me he can bash any hacker trying to get in to severs if we have Backtrack on them coz you have to be shooter to fight a shooter. if he is wrong explain a little why.

Windows 7 on my main pc

Ubuntu 14.04 on my htpc

Mac OSX 10.10.2 + Windows 7 on my macbook

i have no idea ubuntu is in use this much

Actually we had 2 hacker's attacks 5 months ago we were on redhat at that time . the i.t manager is an ethical hacker too. he told me he can bash any hacker trying to get in to severs if we have Backtrack on them coz you have to be shooter to fight a shooter. if he is wrong explain a little why.

don't exactly get what he's doing with backtrack... Sounds OK though given those details IMO

i have no idea ubuntu is in use this much

If you don't want to spend hours to set up the OS ubuntu is the best.

don't exactly get what he's doing with backtrack... Sounds OK though given those details IMO

may i call him now to join us here to talk to you ?

If you don't want to spend hours to set up the OS ubuntu is the best.

but as i'm reading a windows user need much more info about ubuntu like drivers , software , compatibilities before start using it.

may i call him now to join us here to talk to you ?

maybe later; I gotta get back to homework.  don't worry tho

maybe later; I gotta get back to homework.  don't worry tho

Thank you so much for your time and input. Poll is up too. plz input there too.:)

but as i'm reading a windows user need much more info about ubuntu like drivers , software , compatibilities before start using it.

Yes, there is a learning curve, but that is true for any software. Open-source software, in general, is more "you do it itself" in terms of installing and using software, where closed-source is more "we do it for you".

will the docs created on the alternative open on MS-Office coz not all of managers have ubuntu and they are not that change lovers lol. they are above 40 and they like to have MS-office .

You can export as Microsoft Office extensions.