1. 1. What OS?

• Windows 7
    • Windows 8/8.1
    • Windows 10
    • OSX
    • Linux
    • Other

Added Win 10 option

I was wondering why win 10 was so unpopular when its free for most people.

Linus is my fetish.

Pfft. No BeOS or Solaris?

OpenIndiana?!

*Sarcasm*

I use Xubuntu on my laptop, openSUSE on my Desktop, and CENT on my Server.

I was wondering why win 10 was so unpopular when its free for most people.

Free =/= Quality.

When a product is free, you are the product.... Unless it's open source.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 on Gaming PC, Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8200, OS X El Capitan on Mac, Windows 8 on Main PC in house. Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 530 (And that computer needs to be repaired). Don't judge me.

arch linux all the way

First computer my family had, when I was a wee lad, had Windows 95.  Had a cheap eMachines computer that I believe had XP.  It died a quick death :D.  My old cheap laptop that lasted forever has Windows 7.  On my first build I use Linux Mint.  Mint is my favorite so far.

My desktop main rig has Windows 10 on it and my business laptop has Windows 7 on it.

windows 10 for my desktop and 2 laptops going to try Linux this weekend any versions worth trying?

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

13 hours ago, kelvindeschutter said:

windows 10 for my desktop and 2 laptops going to try Linux this weekend any versions worth trying?

Kubuntu is a good one. Linux Mint KDE is vaguely similar. I've always been a KDE guy myself so I'd always recommend those two.

Xfce is also really good so Xubuntu is worth a try.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

On 2/3/2016 at 6:11 AM, acdcman200 said:

arch linux all the way

Hell yeah!

1 hour ago, ManWithBeard1990 said:

Kubuntu is a good one. Linux Mint KDE is vaguely similar. I've always been a KDE guy myself so I'd always recommend those two.

Xfce is also really good so Xubuntu is worth a try.

Good one, but I don't recommend KDE for beginners, probably the regular Ubuntu or XFCE as you said, Xubuntu.

19 hours ago, NewBieToPC said:

What would the best OS be for gaming.

Windows...

On 1/24/2016 at 9:28 PM, MagnesiumPC said:

Free =/= Quality.

When a product is free, you are the product.... Unless it's open source.

I beileve you're logo is GNU.

That means if you follow Richard Stallman Open Source is not free, and free is not no price.  Free is being totally editable, sharable, distributable and is totally open source too. 

The word for free software used commonly is Libre.

Open source is good but it's not free as in freedom.  I personally don't beileve Richard Stallman is correct.  I think he is totally delusional. 

I'm an advocate for Bruce Schneier.

Windows 10/Ubuntu 14.04.3 for my Vaio Laptop (Windows 10 ugraded from Windows 7)

Windows 10 for my Toshiba Laptop (Ugraded from Windows 7)

Windows 10 for my Desktop (Upgraded from WIndows 8.1)

used to have win 8,1 fek that sheit got win 10 then deleted windows on accident, fek that shiet, then i was like " o shiet m8 my dad is gonna go ape" den i try and install win 10 again from ISO usb thingy and according to windows my hdd is fucked up and something is wrong with it then im like SHEEIIT so i try and install Ubuntu 15.10 then that fucks up destroying my bios and grub then im like O MY FUCKING SHIET so im like " fuck you os i dont need you" but i have a new idea and install the almighty ONE FUCKING OS THAT WORKS WITH ME Ubuntu 14.04 AND HERE I FUCKING AM ALL HAPPY SKIPPING IN RAINBOWS FUCK YEAH!

but seriously that is what happened, i deleted windows 10 on Christmas then everything is good on new years day coincidence?

1 hour ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

used to have win 8,1 fek that sheit got win 10 then deleted windows on accident, fek that shiet, then i was like " o shiet m8 my dad is gonna go ape" den i try and install win 10 again from ISO usb thingy and according to windows my hdd is fucked up and something is wrong with it then im like SHEEIIT so i try and install Ubuntu 15.10 then that fucks up destroying my bios and grub then im like O MY FUCKING SHIET so im like " fuck you os i dont need you" but i have a new idea and install the almighty ONE FUCKING OS THAT WORKS WITH ME Ubuntu 14.04 AND HERE I FUCKING AM ALL HAPPY SKIPPING IN RAINBOWS FUCK YEAH!

but seriously that is what happened, i deleted windows 10 on Christmas then everything is good on new years day coincidence?

Yeah I haven't been very happy with 15.10 either. Holding off on upgrading my desktop until support for the newer kernel is a little better.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

7 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

I'm an advocate for Bruce Schneier.

Well my friend, to each his own.

I personally do believe both parties have good points, but I have always believed in software being Libre Open Source, instead of Bruce Schneier's point of it being insecure, and it should stay closed source.

3 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Well my friend, to each his own.

I personally do believe both parties have good points, but I have always believed in software being Libre Open Source, instead of Bruce Schneier's point of it being insecure, and it should stay closed source.

True, I do think that Open Source has it's benifits but it's important for developers to understand where both excel.

Take for example Apache.  Why is it so widely used, partly because it's open source for a webserver this is great.   It adds security and capabilities while also being partly closed-source to keep it secure.

Apache is used all over the place, and it's because its so feature-rich and so open that it can be modified however. 

This same thing goes for office suites and media tools, pdf readers they all benifit from being open source or even Libre but it's because they add opportunities and enhance the software experience.

An antivirus for example would suffer being open source, this is because it needs to be hidden a lot more from the public eye, and and needs to remain resistant to threats.  The same goes for Operating Systems, operating systems must remain secure and to prevent instability should remain closed-source.

Open-source helps in certain situations as previously stated.  I do not think Richard Stallman is wrong but I think he is dillusional and might not realize the real threat in the world.

Bruce Schneier frequently deals with computer security systems and understands the threat and because of the government's power, wealth and people-quanitity it has the capabilities to exploit almost any software.

Even worse is that most governments purchase software from hackers who offer products for a hefty fee, or maybe even criminals who write complex malware for corperations.

While antivirus vendors do not purposely write malware to harm anybody they do write malware to get other antivirus vendors.

There have even been cases of antivirus vendor hacking another antivirus vendor.  It mainly is only around the big guys a.k.a the guys who offer robust endpoint protection suites.

21 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

True, I do think that Open Source has it's benifits but it's important for developers to understand where both excel.

True.

As with any two different things (such as Electric vs Gasoline Cars, or Torrents vs Direct HTTP Downloads), they all have their benefits and drawbacks, some greater than others.

For instance, it is far quicker to spot bugs in Open Source Software, due to it being easier for the community to view. On the other hand, it can be far more vulnerable due to the same principle of the source being easily viewable, and exploitable.

Depends on the machine.

Wraith/main rig: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (Activated)

Ghost/Test rig: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (Trial)

Lenovo X200T Laptop: Windows 7 Pro N SP1 (Activated)

Parvati IV/Home Server: Debian 7.8 (Going to change to OpenSUSE 13.2 or newer when I get round to it)

Phantom/Win 98 rig: Windows 98 Second Edition (OEM key from 1999)

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT | Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | XFX Radeon R9 290 DD 4GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

I use a healthy mix of everything, voted OS X as it is my daily driver.

• DreamCorvette: Windows 10 Pro (planned: OS X El Capitan)
  • Battleship: No OS (planned: Windows 10 Pro)
  • Dinosaur: Windows 10 Pro
  • NASter: Ubuntu Server 15.10
  • Battlebird: OS X El Capitan
  • Jarvis: DreamOS 1A0317a

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

Well I mostly use my Macbook Air for work and for serious I use my Windows 10 and/or Hackintosh OS X. Sometimes for fun I use Remix OS :D 

Main Rig:
Mainboard: MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic | CPU: Intel Core i7 (7700k) @5GHz| RAM: Crutical Ballistix Sport LT (32GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 | Storage: SanDisk Ultra II (1TB) & Samsung 950 Pro (512GB) | PSU: Corsair RM550i | Case: Thermaltake Urban S31 (Snow)

Work Rig:
Mainboard: MSI H170A PC Mate | CPU: Intel Core i3 (6100T) @3.3GHz| RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530 | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro (256GB) | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Case: Thermaltake Urban S31