565 members have voted

1. 1. What OS?

• Windows 7
    • Windows 8/8.1
    • Windows 10
    • OSX
    • Linux
    • Other

I use Windows 10 on a dual boot setup with Ubuntu 16.04. I also use OS X in a VM from time to time.

"What's a webpage? Something ducks walk on?"

Windows 10 for desktop and Centos 7 minimal for my server

Windows 10 Pro on my two main desktops, Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center on my third desktop.

OS X El Capitan on my MacBook, Windows 10 Pro on my old notebook.

Windows 10 Mobile on my smartphone, Windows Phone 8.1 on my back-up phone.

Windows Home Server on my server.

Overall, I'm very content using Windows. My work has me handling a lot of Macs, so my MacBook is there mostly so I know how to use one when dealing with customers. There are a lot of things about OS X that are not up to Windows' level. But there are a few things that I really love about the Mac an would like to see implemented into PCs, most of all the multi-touch trackpad gestures. I know that some manufacturers offer gesture support, but it should be standardised across the platform, and Microsoft is in a position to do that.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

My Laptop running Windows 10.

And my Desktop running CentOS 6.8.

Right now both my desktop and my laptop run 10 but on my old laptops because they where older and not meant for gaming i had variations of Ubuntu on them. Plan on getting a second drive for my desktop and put Debian on it.

Error 404 humor not found.

• 2 weeks later...

I choose other for the simple reason of it is single choice.  

I have 10 pro on the desktop. 7 on my old thinkpad laptop (sitting in a box somewhere, but fully functional). And 7/Fedora on my HP laptop, but I next to never boot into windows. To be completely honest, I would reformat the desktop if autoCAD and Fallout New Vegas would emulate decently under wine/playonlinux (I know the they are both wine). 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Windows 10 and archLinux

Tech unrelated stuff: Check out my web novel Amauga.

On 8.4.2016 at 8:14 PM, Huntsman said:

Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 for my laptop

Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS for my server

pfSense for my firewall/router

openElec for my Raspberry Pi 2

Android for all smartphones and tablets

yea.. all linux

pfSense is not related to Linux at all.

Write in C.

16 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

pfSense is not related to Linux at all.

It's freeBSD which came from Unix. Linux came from Unix.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Sorry, but you're wrong. FreeBSD is based on BSD Unix. Linux was written from scratch and modeled after Minix. (Most Linux distributions are even "GNU/Linux", meaning that they're Not Unix. ;))

In fact, even FreeBSD is not a "real Unix" although it was forked off BSD Unix in the early 90s. There are definitions what "Unix" is, additionally to the code history. (The Linux distribution Inspur K-UX is a certified Unix but it does not share any Unix heritage.) On Linux, there are ongoing processes to establish their own "Unix specification" (Linux Standard Base), but compatibility to the Unix specification was never a goal of the developers. Gentoo, for example, doesn't even have vi anymore.

But we're slowly getting off track. Long story short: pfSense has a heritage that reaches back to the first BSD Unix "distribution" from the late 70s, Linux does not. Also, there is probably no single Linux code file anywhere to be found in pfSense. So: No, pfSense is not Linux at all.

Write in C.

• 3 weeks later...

It feels really good to see Win 7 users are more than twice than the Win 8 users. I am a Windows 7 user myself and I have no idea whether I will use any other Windows operating system or not. Even if I do, it would definitely not going to be use Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I like Windows 10 but my computer is too old to run Windows 10 smoothly. 

Windows 10 user here

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

• 2 weeks later...

Dual boot windows 10 and arch linux, windows is only there for the games i can't get on linux yet:(

windows 7 on my acer aspire notebook and windows 8.1 on my mom laptop

Debian for pc at school

linux xubuntu 16.04 for desktop, mac osx for my mbp and cent os 6 server edition for handling a client's server..

1 minute ago, Windows 10 said:

Hey

Hey what?

Welcome to the forum... :)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Hey what?

Welcome to the forum... :)

You like my username?

On 5/30/2013 at 10:21 AM, colonel_mortis said:

Which operating system(s) do you use?

If linux, put the distro below.

I use win7

Need multiple choice.

I use both Win7 & Win10

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER