Nvidia engages in combat with Samsung: Which will win, the Titan or the Dragon

brownninja97

lol.jpg

So then the spark has been triggered, will the flames of war burn bright again

Nvidia is attacking Samsung, this is because the galaxy Note Edge, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S4 mobile phones; and the Galaxy Tab S, Galaxy Note Pro and Galaxy Tab 2 computer tablets use snapdragon processors or some mobile chips but thats not where the problem lies.

This is a software issue, nvidia has noticed some shaders and processing styles look crazy similar to their own, they are pissed about this, people are gonna die, the old op already has. Nvidia has everything on their side, they have the patents, they have the money and a pretty nice legal team, the cards are stacked up against Samsung.

At the current moment in time the court is determining which software has been taken, as samsung has a godly legal team they will drag this out and probably pull some strings and make some under handed deals, yet the question remains. Actually i forgot what the question was, will edit it in later if i remember.

As for Qualcomm they have had their fair share of fights in the past but i dont remember them being backed up against the wall will being in cohorts with Samsung, well i guess Nvidia can show its fang now that they have the evidence to put them down.

As for how big this could go, Nvidia could potentially get billions from this, this could injure the defendants badly.

Nvidia then start talking about what they have done to the graphics world and passively giving the other guys the finger.

Edit: small update, courts est that if there is a solid case then courts could begin as early as January which to me doesnt seem early, but i dont know much about law.

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/News/NVIDIA-Files-Complaints-Against-Samsung-and-Qualcomm-for-Infringing-Its-GPU-Patents-bb4.aspx

http://www.techpowerup.com/204899/nvidia-files-complaints-against-samsung-and-qualcomm-for-patent-infringement.html

http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-Files-Complaints-For-GPU-Patent-Infringement-Against-Samsung-and-Qualcomm/#!bPPW6U

someone please link this to the old op

drop-the-mic.jpg

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

thank you for this good post on the matter. :) 

finally someone that can take on samsung and qualcomm and win at it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Nvidia is going to own samsung's ass, but samsung can afford to pay any fine and go on with their business.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Uh oh somebody is in troubleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Huzzah, a cracking report on a topic of potentially great business importance, albeit likely will make next to no difference at all to the great majority of customers due to ignorance.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Nvidia is going to own samsung's ass, but samsung can afford to pay any fine and go on with their business.

Not when nvidia has them by the neck, this isnt a million dollar fine, this one is in the billions and it against more then one company.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Edit: small update, courts est that if there is a solid case then courts could begin as early as January which to me doesnt seem early, but i dont know much about law.

That's VERY early, trust me ^^ these megacorps have the means of delaying courts for DECADES.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not when nvidia has them by the neck, this isnt a million dollar fine, this one is in the billions and it against more then one company.

i really in a way hope NV gets them good, just so they stop being as elitist as they are now, with crap phones...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

That's VERY early, trust me ^^ these megacorps have the means of delaying courts for DECADES.

either way someone is gonna die.

Listen if you care.

Samsung made 35+ billions in profits last year, I'd be surprised if they were seriously damaged by a single fine. But, who knows, I guess it depends on the extent of patent infringement. I wouldn't want samsung to die off, I just hope they learn the lesson and go on about their business.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nvidia has everything on their side, they have the patents, they have the money and a pretty nice legal team, the cards are stacked up against Samsung.

You do realize that Samsung absolutely dwarfs NVidia, right? Samsung literally has about 7 times as much CASH stockpiled as NVidia takes in in a year (And that's before accounting for NVidia's expenses). NVidia might be a giant in the PC/Tech Enthusiast world, but they are nothing when compared to samsung.

Nvidia:

Revenue
  • 11px-Decrease2.svg.png US$ 4.13 billion (2014) [1]
  • 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 4.28 billion (2013) [1]
Operating income
  • 11px-Decrease2.svg.png US$ 496.227 million (2014) [1]
  • 11px-Decrease2.svg.png US$ 648.239 million (2013) [1]
Net income
  • 11px-Decrease2.svg.png US$ 439.99 million (2014) [1]
  • 11px-Decrease2.svg.png US$ 562.536 million (2013) [1]
Total assets
  • 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 7,250.894 million (2014) [2]
  • 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 6,412.245 million (2013) [1]
Total equity
  • 11px-Decrease2.svg.png US$ 4,456.398 million (2014) [2]
  • 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 4,827.703 million (2013)

Samsung:

Revenue 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 327 billion (FY 2013)[1]Net income 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 30.1 billion (FY 2013)[1]Total assets 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 100.4 billion (FY 2013)[1]Total equity 11px-Increase2.svg.png US$ 70.3 billion (FY 2013)[1]

So frankly, NVidia damn well better have a SLAM DUNK legal case, or else they stand no chance.

Now I'm not defending Samsung, but I'm just pointing out that your post seems to be incredibly NVidia biased in it's tone.

Do you have a link showing a little more evidence of this allegation? So far all I can see based on these articles (one of which is completely irrelevant, as you can't trust a news post from the NVidia homepage on this topic - just the same that you couldn't trust one from the Samsung homepage), is NVidia accusing them of patent infringement, but I haven't seen any documents or articles actually showing which parts are infringing and showing evidence that it is correct.

However, IF THEY ARE TRUE, then that's really disappointing news about both Samsung and Qualcomm. Samsung has been the butt of many stupid patent battles with Apple. It would be a shame if Samsung ended up becoming the "father that they hate" so to speak. If they really are using Nvidia technology, then they should rightfully pay for that technology.

However, if they aren't using NVidia technology, then this is just another stupid patent troll. I guess we'll see once it heads to court and we see real evidence.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5041a488afa96f6c00002f83.gif?w=400&h=332

Samsung is going to get:

☐ Not REKT

☑ REKT

☑ REKTangle

☑ SHREKT

☑ REKT-it Ralph

☑ Total REKTall

☑ The Lord of the REKT

☑ The Usual SusREKTs

☑ North by NorthREKT

☑ REKT to the Future

☑ Once Upon a Time in the REKT

☑ The Good, the Bad, and the REKT

☑ LawREKT of Arabia

☑ Tyrannosaurus REKT

☑ eREKTile dysfunction

either way someone is gonna die.

If it came to an all-out "No Holds Barred" battle, I'd bet on Samsung. They have the diversity, the size, and the cold hard cash. They could literally close up shop and continue to pay every employee for years, with their huge cash reserves.

But let's hope that doesn't happen, yes? We as consumers want both Samsung and NVidia to survive.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If it came to an all-out "No Holds Barred" battle, I'd bet on Samsung. They have the diversity, the size, and the cold hard cash. They could literally close up shop and continue to pay every employee for years, with their huge cash reserves.

But let's hope that doesn't happen, yes? We as consumers want both Samsung and NVidia to survive.

noone will die. but samsung may lose some value on its stock, and nvidia may get some more RD money

You do realize that Samsung absolutely dwarfs NVidia, right? Samsung literally has about 7 times as much CASH stockpiled as NVidia takes in in a year (And that's before accounting for NVidia's expenses). NVidia might be a giant in the PC/Tech Enthusiast world, but they are nothing when compared to samsung.

However, if they aren't using NVidia technology, then this is just another stupid patent troll. I guess we'll see once it heads to court and we see real evidence.

yeah my post is sided to nvidia in this case because i cant find any sources that are neutral on this, the only source is basically from nvidia themselves and then all the other news sites have reported it and one site talked about a potential date as well, from what we know so far regarding the evidence, nvidia is winning on paper, samsung will not play nice, they never have so this may not end well for nvidia even if they have a solid case. This is just how i see it and you have some really good points in return however i cant confirm anything yet so ill act as if nvidia is winning for now.

Listen if you care.

I think if Nvidia's claims are true, Samsung can throw as much cash as they want at it, they're gonna get rolled to infinity and beyond, especially if Nvidia lobs the punitive damages bomb along with everything else. 

I'll wait for more information on what the actual violation is before deciding.  Too many times we hear about these cases and they turn out to be mountains made from mole hills.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'll wait for more information on what the actual violation is before deciding.  Too many times we hear about these cases and they turn out to be mountains made from mole hills.

This is basically my stance on the matter.

All the news articles are essentially taking it for granted that NVidia is "right" and that the allegations are true. I don't know if they are or not. I'll wait and see before condemning Samsung or praising NVidia.

This is basically my stance on the matter.

All the news articles are essentially taking it for granted that NVidia is "right" and that the allegations are true. I don't know if they are or not. I'll wait and see before condemning Samsung or praising NVidia.

remember all sources at the moment go back to nvidia themselves it wouldnt be the first time nvidia has written in a way to make them look like angels.

Listen if you care.

Interesting topic. Nvidia is more business with samsung and Samsung sretches their boundries with everyone.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

wait this doesnt make any sense

shouldnt nvidia just sue qualcomm they are the one at fault here

by that logic nvidia should sue EVERYONE that uses qualcomm GPUs

which is ...... everyone

since they are only attacking the big guys it means they just want money or a part of their business which lets face it nvidia is doing horribly at

also they are suing  because

this is EVERY single modern GPU

they should sue ARM them selves because those fall under their Mali line of GPU

this is clearly an attack for specific reasons and not because "they are stealing our IP"

maybe im missing something here

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wait this doesnt make any sense

shouldnt nvidia just sue qualcomm they are the one at fault here

by that logic nvidia should sue EVERYONE that uses qualcomm GPUs

which is ...... everyone

since they are only attacking the big guys it means they just want money or a part of their business which lets face it nvidia is doing horribly at

also they are suing  because

this is EVERY single modern GPU

they should sue ARM them selves because those fall under their Mali line of GPU

this is clearly an attack for specific reasons and not because "they are stealing our IP"

maybe im missing something here

You're talking a lot of sense here. I know Samsung does manufacture some ARM CPU's, but those are licensed designs. What about all the other ARM manufacturers besides Qualcomm? And this seems to be about the Snapdragon in particular. So you're right, what about EVERY OTHER ANDROID MANUFACTURER THAT USES SNAPDRAGON CPU's? Which is basically all of them. Most major phones use the Snapdragon lineup.

There's definitely more to the story here. But perhaps NVidia is just testing the waters, making sure they get a win on Samsung first, since then any further court battles would be a lot easier?

You're talking a lot of sense here. I know Samsung does manufacture some ARM CPU's, but those are licensed designs. What about all the other ARM manufacturers besides Qualcomm? And this seems to be about the Snapdragon in particular. So you're right, what about EVERY OTHER ANDROID MANUFACTURER THAT USES SNAPDRAGON CPU's? Which is basically all of them. Most major phones use the Snapdragon lineup.

There's definitely more to the story here. But perhaps NVidia is just testing the waters, making sure they get a win on Samsung first, since then any further court battles would be a lot easier?

there is always the chance that this could be a ploy, samsung has a lot of enemies and nvidia could be getting controlled by any number of companies behind the scenes, they would make for a nice scapegoat, the relationships between all these companies is dangerously close to the Hilter and Stalin relation, its never gonna end well.

Listen if you care.