Discussion: Should Minors Be Able To Buy/Have E Cigarettes?

JoshK

I want other peoples opinion. I am 14 and I know so many 14, 15, 16 year olds who smoke cigarettes regularly. Conventional cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and carcinogens which obviously will give you cancer, make it harder for you to breathe etc. Compared to e cigarettes, liquid that is heated up to create a vapor that is then inhaled, they contain vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, food flavoring and (sometimes) liquid nicotine. E cigarettes are used to help smokers quit smoking by vaping juice that has less and less nicotine until they are down to a 0 nicotine juice. Very little is know of the long term health effects but what they do know is that they are considerably healthier for you than conventional cigarettes. The reason I personally think minors should be able to buy and own e cigarettes, with regulation, is so that minors that do smoke can kick the habit. Even though this will raise the amount of minors that use e cigarettes that have never smoked in their life, wouldnt it be better to have the minors that do smoke cigarettes to be able to use e cigs so that they are not killing themselves? I want to hear other peoples opinion because I want the people I know to stop smoking, but I dont want them to get an MIP because they have an e cig.

and if you dont know what an e cig looks like \/\/

post-77334-0-20127000-1406682401.jpg

ecigarette = cigarette = no

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

no. most places in canada have company policies barring minors from purchasing ecigs already.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

E cigs are a joke. They're can be just as harmful as regular cigs because cig use in teens has been declining but e cigs might be a gateway cig. Also the "unknown" effects probably make them just as harmful. It still burns so you are still inhaling CO and CO2 so it is plenty harmful still. 

meeeeeeeeeeh.

lets all get cancer and take a shit on pentium Cpu's.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

A better solution is to prosecute retailers that sell cigs to minors...

It's never that easy.

The retailers may not be who is doing it, it may be friends that are old enough purchasing it for minors or people selling them off after they *at legal age* purchased it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Yea like @JAKEBAB said, most young-adults/kids don't want to stop smoking. They, for some reason, think it's cool.

Source: I'm 16.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

No because one leads to the other.

Fuck no. Hell, they're WORSE for you than a regular cigarette.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

No, its better if cigarettes and ecigs become a thing of the past and just die and burn in a fire.   All of them.  

Smoking kills and the last thing we want is younger generations smoking and dying in their 40s or 50s

e cigarettes are worse than regular ones in almost every way...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol, no, just .... no

I know minors who smoke too, they are usually in the "dumb" classes that do not even count towards college. They are disruptive and are just stupid overall, I know like 2 maybe 3 who are not retarded out of like 30

Also I remember reading multiple articles saying doing e-cigs (or some other drug I forget) while under 18 impairs emotional and mental development 

person below me is a scrub

As a minor who has used them at parties to do smoke tricks, I'm going to go with no.

The e-liquid is usually unregulated, and often contains unlisted ingredients just like real cigarettes.

If there was more strict regulation and studies to show there is little risk of developing illnesses from them, I'd say yes, but they just aren't as safe as they are marketed.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I'll stick with my copious mary jane, thank you very much.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Nope. During my last two year of education, a tonne of students were smoking crap like weed & tobacco. I don't think anyone should smoke not even that herbal stuff. It's not entirely great from your lungs from a scientific standpoint.

I remember a quote from one of my favourite youtubers who said that "Youtube as a hobby is an expensive hobby" this was relating to how he was recently upgrading his hardware to play better but how I want to relate this to smoking is once you're addicted or rather interested in the relief of smoking it's a money magnet.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

As someone that started smoking at 11 (And quit about six months ago) i have to say.... Wait for it... No.

They'll either quit when they can't buy any more cigs. (Unless the parents are buying for them) Or they won't. And that is a choice that they can only make themselves...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The minors that are smoking now are the people that dont want to quit...

A better solution is to prosecute retailers that sell cigs to minors...

Both of these :)

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

NO. NO. NO.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think it's also worth noting that E-cigarettes in Canada are not allowed to contain nicotine, rendering them non-addictive.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

Honestly I don't see why not.  If kids want to make bad decisions let them.  Either they'll learn from it or they'll die from cancer, leaving less people on the earth to make bad decisions.

I have slightly skewed visions on world issues.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Nope. But of course they aren't supposed to be smoking at all. .. not just because they're still developing and young, not just because the laws against it, nor from a moral view, but it seriously hurts a person (regardless of age). So, No.

But that's just stating the obvious.

There will always be people who somehow will justify it being a good idea.

Also they look dumb. Super dumb. Cigs are dumb looking enough, like a poser. Ecigs take dumb to a whole new level

Honestly I don't see why not.  If kids want to make bad decisions let them.  Either they'll learn from it or they'll die from cancer, leaving less people on the earth to make bad decisions.

I have slightly skewed visions on world issues.

Cancer costs taxpayers tons of money, even in the US.