Technology that should never be invented

WaruSaru

The microprocessor.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

are you talking about the large hadron collider 

Yes that.....we already "dodged" almost total annihilation with nukes and now we want to make something more powerful that nuclear energy but way way smaller. Mankind doesn't seem to be getting any better in morals and values, so explain to me how this could be a great idea apart from the, as you say, "cool data" that is being collected. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

The microprocessor.

No way Jay, now if you said the Atom microprocessor well then yeah,,,,,yeah....nothing good came from that other than knowing what not to make ever again. Oh wait they re-vamped it didn't they....there we go again reinventing stupid again.

30Hz isn't a technology... and everyone probably thought it was the shit when 15Hz was available. 

Yeah when your frame rate is literally the speed at which frames are spun in front of a projector the jump from 15 to 24 fps would have been pretty great. It's just a shame that even though actual film plays such a small role in modern cinema and especially gaming technology 24, 25 and 30 fps are still considered standard.

No way Jay, now if you said the Atom microprocessor well then yeah,,,,,yeah....nothing good came from that other than knowing what not to make ever again. Oh wait they re-vamped it didn't they....there we go again reinventing stupid again.

It's not stupid to try and go for power consumption comparable with mobile ARM chips but on the x86 architecture running much more sophisticated operating systems.

OK I will clarify what I meant.

Nuclear reactions instigated and controlled by humans, there are a host of benefits to harnessing the power held in atomics, but there have been a couple of large scale disasters with long lasting effects, and our development of atomic weapons which is what I'd call the evil side.

You mean building one fifty years ago on an island surrounded by fault lines and never upgrading it since? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG THERE!? Nuclear power is pretty safe these days, but for cases caused by sheer human stupidity.

Yes that.....we already "dodged" almost total annihilation with nukes and now we want to make something more powerful that nuclear energy but way way smaller. Mankind doesn't seem to be getting any better in morals and values, so explain to me how this could be a great idea apart from the, as you say, "cool data" that is being collected. 

Lolwut what's wrong with the LHC? Are you referring to the scaremongering a few years ago about black holes? Because you know even if you could create a black hole from two protons, it would still only have the mass and the gravitational attraction of those two protons and wouldn't be able to generate the forces needed to even sustain its own existence, much less cause the apocalypse the more anti-science sections of the media would have you believe.

-Uggs

This.

Titan Z

"Phablets"

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Yep seen that thread, those damn 8 year olds probably hacked into his pc to delete all his work so he got mad and said that.

Tonight hot topics, a 16 years old kid hanged himself after he took a breath of fresh air, lets ban fresh air guys! We need more pollution in our air please! come on glenn, come on.

I played Watch_Dogs, and now I have an insatiable desire to hack into every device I see. We better start some W_D Anonymous groups, this could be an epidemic.

Phones bigger than 4". No one needs a freaking tablet at makes calls. And people with small hands get cheaper hardware :(

I concur with ^

My contribution is the anti-matter making thing-a-ma-jig they made with the two atoms colliding at high speed. 

If you dont even know the name of it or what it does, then I dont think you are in a position to say if it should have been invented or not.

If you dont even know the name of it or what it does, then I dont think you are in a position to say if it should have been invented or not.

:angry: I know the name and what it does, i just could not remember at the time of posting. :(  :ph34r:

It's not stupid to try and go for power consumption comparable with mobile ARM chips but on the x86 architecture running much more sophisticated operating systems.

:rolleyes: so you are one of those who support Atom CPUs......shame on you fella shame on you....

the point with the large hadron collider is to explore new boundaries, see how particles act at energy levels we have never seen before, to split up atoms find the smallest pieces and see how they act, it is not to manufacture anti matter particles, in fact you can't even contain anti particles unless you use some kinda energy field, they only exist for a fraction of a fraciton of a fraction of a second because by coming in contact with the matter equivalent they destroy eachother and cease to be, anti particles isn't something we can just scoop up and casually start making weapons out of.

OK I will clarify what I meant.

Nuclear reactions instigated and controlled by humans, there are a host of benefits to harnessing the power held in atomics, but there have been a couple of large scale disasters with long lasting effects, and our development of atomic weapons which is what I'd call the evil side.

well yes, there have been accidents and spills related to being careless or natural disasters earthquakes and the like, and there is waste that we basically can't do anything about, lock it up and secure it all you want, that's not going to last a few hundred thousand years, that just means we need to address those issues and be more cautious, there are nuclear reactors with very clever designs that will naturally just shut themselves down if something were to go wrong, completely unattended, and thorium has great potential to address the waste issue, atleast to some extent, then again, admittedly i haven't really done my homework when it comes to nuclear power and the like so i really shouldn't be saying too much.

when it comes to bombs i don't want to talk about that, you can say nuclear bombs is a terrible invention by itself, i want to know everything about everything, i always say that more knowledge is always good no matter what, it's the people that are at fault for abusing that knowledge, knowledge is good, what people decide to use it for is a different matter.

:rolleyes: so you are one of those who support Atom CPUs......shame on you fella shame on you....

I'm one of those who thinks ARM shouldn't be the only company designing mobile processors and thinking that different approaches and competition aren't a bad thing :rolleyes:

And besides when iOS was first marketed Steve Jobs specifically said that he didn't want a stripped down (he used the word "crippled") version of OSX, he wanted actual OSX that shipped on Macs on the phones. Which it isn't. Atom processors allow there to be Windows 8 tablets actually as Steve Jobs described, which I do think is pretty neat.

the point with the large hadron collider is to explore new boundaries, see how particles act at energy levels we have never seen before, to split up atoms find the smallest pieces and see how they act, it is not to manufacture anti matter particles, in fact you can't even contain anti particles unless you use some kinda energy field, they only exist for a fraction of a fraciton of a fraction of a second because by coming in contact with the matter equivalent they destroy eachother and cease to be, anti particles isn't something we can just scoop up and casually start making weapons out of.

Well that's one part of it, but particle physicists two years ago did succeed in making and trapping Anti-Hydrogen

History has shown a undeniable pattern of some thing being shown as it is being used for X when it is really to do Y and that fact still stands today and it will be so tomorrow and the day after. If you are the type of person that believes what they are told by people you have no interaction with, then that is your prerogative. 

I'm one of those who thinks ARM shouldn't be the only company designing mobile processors and thinking that different approaches and competition aren't a bad thing :rolleyes:

And besides when iOS was first marketed Steve Jobs specifically said that he didn't want a stripped down (he used the word "crippled") version of OSX, he wanted actual OSX that shipped on Macs on the phones. Which it isn't. Atom processors allow there to be Windows 8 tablets actually as Steve Jobs described, which I do think is pretty neat.

I am for supporting the mobile processors and i too don't think that ARM should be the only maker of mobile processors but Atom is really bad in laptops/netbooks. I had two in the beginning of the Atom craze and boy was it shit!

This Steve Jobs guy was a great asset to Apple and his thoughts were great for Apple but if i am not mistaken, he is the one or part of the group who instilled this "mind control" thinking into selling Apple products and they were very successful in doing so to many and this is why i will never own an Apple product, please don't get me started on Apple and the few companies who tried to follow this way of thinking.

I am for supporting the mobile processors and i too don't think that ARM should be the only maker of mobile processors but Atom is really bad in laptops/netbooks. I had two in the beginning of the Atom craze and boy was it shit!

This Steve Jobs guy was a great asset to Apple and his thoughts were great for Apple but if i am not mistaken, he is the one or part of the group who instilled this "mind control" thinking into selling Apple products and they were very successful in doing so to many and this is why i will never own an Apple product, please don't get me started on Apple and the few companies who tried to follow this way of thinking.

...so in two posts you have said that the LHC is some massive conspiracy and Apple are using mind control... wut

again, i don't even know where to begin, i wouldn't exactly call it an invention of ours, geothermal energy is to some extent a result of so called "nuclear energy", the world wouldn't function as it does without it, and how about those deep water microbes that survive nearly exclusively off geothermal heat aka radioactive decay, that gives us more hope to believe in extraterrestrial life, besides it has great potential to provide us clean energy, and it kinda is the stuff that holds everything together, all the matter you love and are so familiar with, i'm just mixing everything together to a messy crock pot as the post is too vague, "nuclear energy" can be alot of different things, besides isn't nuclear energy in the conventional view awesome? you are basically splitting atoms.

Controlled Nuclear Energy. Lolno. If we don't dig the shit out of the ground, the world would be a better place. In the ground as geothermal it's clean and fine, but once it's out, meh, I'll be saying no. Especially when you put human error into it, there's a lot of things that can go wrong.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Definitely Google Glass and 'Phablets'! Both make you look like an arsehole and both will probably, unfortunately, be what everyone will be using. Plus the other privacy issues related with Glass

wow yeah progress in science sucks right

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Apple

lol'ed at this but you have to admit apple did chafe the market place for some things and made computers more 'general consumer' friendly. :P

My PC:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe | RAM: 32GB Kingston fury DDR4 | GPU: Asus Strix 980 | Case: Corsair 700d | Storage: 256gb Samsung 950 pro ssd - 2x 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - 120gb Samsung 840 SSD - 60gb Kingston SSD - 30gb Kingston SSD - 1tb WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair 700d | OS: WIndows 10 |

Controlled Nuclear Energy. Lolno. If we don't dig the shit out of the ground, the world would be a better place. In the ground as geothermal it's clean and fine, but once it's out, meh, I'll be saying no. Especially when you put human error into it, there's a lot of things that can go wrong.

well, to some extent i agree, there is a fair bit of activity here on the surface aswell, right up in our faces, we don't necessarily have to spend resources and energy to go out of our way to dig it out of the ground.. doesn't really seem like the most clever thing to do, and when we have finally dug it up and used it we don't know what to do with the rest of it so we put it back into the ground..

History has shown a undeniable pattern of some thing being shown as it is being used for X when it is really to do Y and that fact still stands today and it will be so tomorrow and the day after. If you are the type of person that believes what they are told by people you have no interaction with, then that is your prerogative. 

well, atleast i'm not the type of scientifically illiterate person that gets in the way of progress by being scared of things that i don't comprehend, this is something that has in the past and is happening again and again, as a tech community i think we have a certain responsibility to be better than average at this kinda stuff, just fyi, the LHC was a cooperative project between several nations, i doubt they would fund the weapon research that could potentially destroy or give one an advantage over the other, just the existence of the LHC in itself is a cool thing, we need more of these kinds of projects,

Intel Atom, Intel Pentium... Just godawfull.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG