How can the LTT Forum community be better?

Maybe provide some context as to why you feel it is lacking something? 

Evoking discussion is great and all but if there is no foundation or reason behind the question, it bears to mind the agenda or premise for the question asked. 

The forum in its current form is the culmination of the last 10+ years of changes, improvements by necessity and of course community feedback.

FYI we have a forum suggestions section specifically available if you have specific feedback to provide. https://linustechtips.com/forum/81-forum-suggestions/

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The reason that I think that there are things that could be better is because when I asked a tech question that might seen a little dumb to some but is pretty valid for me, I got essentially cussed at and my question was stopped by a moderator.

I don't want to upset anyone, just ask tech questions and talk about tech which is what I love.

Mans gotten 2 mods act so fast by a simple vague question.

I understand I'm simply missing some improvements However not all improvements can be applied since they don't have most resources to do that.

One improvements can be done is more stability I've noticed that forum can be slow at times or not responding at all.

So after hour or so it's back normal running although it happens regularly.

So all it does is just kicking me out and do something else and come back later.

Don't worry about those mods they're trying help you not bite you. 🧔

And if your post is in wrong category they'll move it for you.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

12 minutes ago, Anonymous1234 said:

The reason that I think that there are things that could be better is because when I asked a tech question that might seen a little dumb to some but is pretty valid for me, I got essentially cussed at and my question was stopped by a moderator.

If you mean this thread

You asked a question which made no sense and could at best only be interpreted as a "dream build" thread, which is against the rules because it's a waste of people's time. Nobody "cussed at" you, though. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

For the most part id say this forum is very amusing and helpful but I agree there are occasional disgruntled attitudes, that should be dialed down a bit, at least towards those who are obviously only beginner to intermediate levels, doesn't grow the community if we run out all the noobies...id also say to the noobies, don't be so sensitive, this forum is as with many tech forums are a widely varied mix of people, from pro's with decades of experience leading in their field, down to some sweaty gamer surrounded by empty pizza boxes and mountain dew bottles, some will troll, some sound like they're trolling but are really just talking from a place of been there done that, and its hard to convey mannerism's or tone of voice through text only

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Whats wrong with the current community and why you feel the need to improve things?

not enough linus memes on the homepage

11 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

One improvements can be done is more stability I've noticed that forum can be slow at times or not responding at all.

So after hour or so it's back normal running although it happens regularly.

I haven't experienced this problem much (really the only time I do is when I'm on an unstable cellular connection). It could just be your internet or the servers you're connecting to.

Personally, I don't really have any problems with the forum. If you follow the rules pretty well, it can be a pretty dope place to be. However, the second you stop following the rules, things get pretty messy.

Edited by GoStormPlays

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

40 minutes ago, Anonymous1234 said:

You asked for an unlimited budget PC just to run Windows sound recorder.

Thank you for posting it in the appropriate subforum, but we have rules against vague fantasy build requests. (If we didn't, we would be flooded with window-shopping posts about how great it would be to build a $100,000 gaming rig full of RTX 4090s.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

hey wouldn't  it be great to build a Fortnite machine with a xeon platinum and like 6x 4090ti,super,ti's?

couldn't resists 🤣

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

I took a look at your history and only 2 of the threads you made got locked.

The 2 threads you made that got locked was pretty much a shitpost IMO. One of it even oozes out vibe that you were trolling peoples who actually took you seriously and tried to help.

And then you posted pretty much the very same kind of question but with more daydreaming in it at January 2. Which is the one @Middcore linked earlier.

And yep, no one cussed you in either even after all that.

The threads where you actually wanted to talk about tech, the "What do you like about Mac / iPhone" didn't get locked. And although I was only quick-reading it, pretty sure no one cussed at ya in there.

The thread where you actually asked a question that doesn't seem like it's a shitpost didn't get locked either. The "What NAS setup should I have"

Edited by Poinkachu

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

35 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

not enough linus memes on the homepage

I haven't experienced this problem much (really the only time I do is when I'm on an unstable cellular connection). It could just be your internet or the servers you're connecting to.

💯 Agree for not enough memes

It's possible but thank god it's not cellular issue since i could visit other websites.

But yeah probably routing or server issue *shrug* out if my reach.🤷

Now staff knows about it and prolly already took note of it.

Low priority though. 🧑‍🦲

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

I'm sorry for doing things about dream builds. I'll try not to waste people's time but I will say that I have been cussed at before, in general.

On 2/27/2024 at 9:11 AM, Needfuldoer said:

You asked for an unlimited budget PC just to run Windows sound recorder.

Thank you for posting it in the appropriate subforum, but we have rules against vague fantasy build requests. (If we didn't, we would be flooded with window-shopping posts about how great it would be to build a $100,000 gaming rig full of RTX 4090s.)

Okay, good to know!

I just want it known that I wasn't intending to waste anyone's time or disobey they rules.

16 minutes ago, Anonymous1234 said:

cussed at before, in general.

from what I've seen, you haven't been. if people have made fun of your threads before it's because it would seem absurd to us. Or because it violates the community guidelines. It's most likely nothing against you

14 minutes ago, Anonymous1234 said:

I just want it known that I wasn't intending to waste anyone's time or disobey they rules.

We all make mistakes

Exhibit A

Silly me, didn't check

Exhibit B

Once again, didn't check the community guidelines, should've been a status update

if you can't see it because it's in test posts 

image.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I'm glad I've learned what and what not to talk about and I'll keep it in mind. I wasn't trying to waste time or mess around but now I know better. 🙂

I am new here so I'm still learning just fyi.

1 minute ago, Anonymous1234 said:

I am new here so I'm still learning just fyi.

pro tip, make a reply, then edit that reply instead of making a new one just seconds after

Sorry if I came across as petty or annoyed, but it just clumps up the thread

Current parts list

i think there should be a mod vote if something should be removed or not. because some times its w/e the mod feels at the time and some might have a bios with serten people or topics. posbaly move the topic to a some were els. i no this is not redit but i dont no. there times were questions are fine. and times were talk is stomped out. ya there alot of crap but i dont no. imo

i also thing a tutorial of how to use the forms would save mods time like and probly get post with more info. i asked about this before and it was shot down for w.e reason.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i also thing a tutorial of how to use the forms would save mods time like and probly get post with more info

you mean as soon as you sign up you get a pop up before you continue? that could be a good idea, but to make it effective it would have to be compulsory, and that could be annoying

Current parts list

26 minutes ago, filpo said:

from what I've seen, you haven't been. if people have made fun of your threads before it's because it would seem absurd to us. Or because it violates the community guidelines. It's most likely nothing against you

We all make mistakes

Exhibit A

Silly me, didn't check

Exhibit B

Once again, didn't check the community guidelines, should've been a status update

if you can't see it because it's in test posts 

image.png

So as far as I'm aware, we can't talk about our preferences? I don't know if that's a good way to word it. I'm not getting the full picture on what you're trying to say. I'm sorry!

20 minutes ago, filpo said:

you mean as soon as you sign up you get a pop up before you continue? that could be a good idea, but to make it effective it would have to be compulsory, and that could be annoying

ya or a short video on what to do and not and what each from is. and like quoting people. what a bloge post is for things like that. i still finding out new stuff i had no idea.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

8 minutes ago, Anonymous1234 said:

I'm sorry!

sorry for what? you're just asking a question. Nothing to be sorry about

8 minutes ago, Anonymous1234 said:

So as far as I'm aware, we can't talk about our preferences?

Oh you mean my post. No it's because there was already a post on music already been made so mine was locked so fair play (this was a thread made by me back when I was just learning the forum)

image.thumb.png.caef76afeee2147fd262409324d599f0.png

Current parts list

3 hours ago, Anonymous1234 said:

As others have pointed out, both threads that got locked were against the rules. The note about dream builds is mentioned in New Builds guidelines, and "Company vs Company" posts are in Community Standards. We don't expect people to read the rules when joining. Thats why we lock with note on why its not allowed. Only if you would ignore our notes about how things are run here would we actually have to do something drastic.

Also, we are open to discussion. If you disagree with action taken, you can PM the mod who did it or report the message so that others can review it. We are human, we make misjudgment at times.

3 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

How many times out of those you visit forums daily/weekly/monthly? Because for me (several times a day) its very occasional. More processing power and/or networking capacity would come with a cost, and forums are net negative for LMG already. Most slowness you actually see is caused by external sources, and there's little to none LMG can do about those.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

i think there should be a mod vote if something should be removed or not. because some times its w/e the mod feels at the time and some might have a bios with serten people or topics. posbaly move the topic to a some were els. i no this is not redit but i dont no. there times were questions are fine. and times were talk is stomped out. ya there alot of crap but i dont no. imo

We do watch each others actions and review things. Also, any move/lock etc. reported gets reviewed. Also, reporting is our downvote system, but unlike other sites, our policy has been very lenient. This has drawbacks, but overall it keeps community more welcoming for new members.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

i also thing a tutorial of how to use the forms would save mods time like and probly get post with more info. i asked about this before and it was shot down for w.e reason.

1 hour ago, filpo said:

There used to be one. I don't remember whether link to Community Standards was/is on sign-up page or not, and whether link to tutorial was. But any popup isn't going to work. We have used them occasionally (The Hack, Gamers Nexus drama etc.) to focus surge of threads posted into one place. But people are ignorant and lazy. If they want to just get on posting, they will dismiss anything without bothering to read.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, Anonymous1234 said:

Ohhhh so they don't want us to make multiples of one topic?

In general, no. We have megathreads for discussions that are constantly on. Like for music, cars, guns, setups etc. Also, posting about same subject more than once overall and across multiple subforums is form of spamming. This too is mentioned in Community Standards. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

As others have pointed out, both threads that got locked were against the rules. The note about dream builds is mentioned in New Builds guidelines, and "Company vs Company" posts are in Community Standards. We don't expect people to read the rules when joining. Thats why we lock with note on why its not allowed. Only if you would ignore our notes about how things are run here would we actually have to do something drastic.

Also, we are open to discussion. If you disagree with action taken, you can PM the mod who did it or report the message so that others can review it. We are human, we make misjudgment at times.

How many times out of those you visit forums daily/weekly/monthly? Because for me (several times a day) its very occasional. More processing power and/or networking capacity would come with a cost, and forums are net negative for LMG already. Most slowness you actually see is caused by external sources, and there's little to none LMG can do about those.

We do watch each others actions and review things. Also, any move/lock etc. reported gets reviewed. Also, reporting is our downvote system, but unlike other sites, our policy has been very lenient. This has drawbacks, but overall it keeps community more welcoming for new members.

There used to be one. I don't remember whether link to Community Standards was/is on sign-up page or not, and whether link to tutorial was. But any popup isn't going to work. We have used them occasionally (The Hack, Gamers Nexus drama etc.) to focus surge of threads posted into one place. But people are ignorant and lazy. If they want to just get on posting, they will dismiss anything without bothering to read.

i dont see why there not a sandbox form for new people. other forms have done it. i get it is will be post of saying hi or making up post to enter the froms but i still think it would help. i dont no i mean you can try it and have people check it out to see if it works on not. i mean can be too hard to make a video and post it?

not everyone is born on forms an has been doing since there were a baby... back then forms were vary different from each other but now they look then same. like today im on corsair forms to ask a question i didnt get an  answer too here... but the form looks the same. pluse there people like me that would find a video helpfull. ya i get it this is forms and froms you read.

i dont no just imo