How can the LTT Forum community be better?

Personally I wish the forum would request people check Google before posting.  About 90% of the topics I respond to just involves me looking up their question on Google, which they could have done themselves.

However I also understand that as a noobie its about reassurance from people more experienced.  I can look at Google, think of the right search string and find the answer, thanks to my years of experience doing so can quickly identify if its likely a trustworthy answer I found.  Its easy to underestimate how much filtering I'm doing subconsciously that someone without experience wont have the benefit of.

That said when they ask a question which is already answered on the forum itself (someone seems to ask about which WiFi card they should buy at LEAST once a week) or on the product manufacturers own forum, it is quite frustrating.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Personally I wish the forum would request people check Google before posting.  About 90% of the topics I respond to just involves me looking up their question on Google, which they could have done themselves.

However I also understand that as a noobie its about reassurance from people more experienced.  I can look at Google, think of the right search string and find the answer, thanks to my years of experience doing so can quickly identify if its likely a trustworthy answer I found.  Its easy to underestimate how much filtering I'm doing subconsciously that someone without experience wont have the benefit of.

That said when they ask a question which is already answered on the forum itself (someone seems to ask about which WiFi card they should buy at LEAST once a week) or on the product manufacturers own forum, it is quite frustrating.

When I first started posting on computer forums (overclockers.com) if you asked a basic question, people would tell you to google it, ask if you googled it, or post a link to a google search that solved the question.  It helped people learn, and actually fostered community.

Now, people create an account, post a question, and never reply, because they get spoon fed the answer.

It's unfortunate that the LTT forum isn't being used to create the learning and community of past generations of online forums.

9 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

When I first started posting on computer forums (overclockers.com) if you asked a basic question, people would tell you to google it, ask if you googled it, or post a link to a google search that solved the question.  It helped people learn, and actually fostered community.

Now, people create an account, post a question, and never reply, because they get spoon fed the answer.

It's unfortunate that the LTT forum isn't being used to create the learning and community of past generations of online forums.

We do unfortunately seem to be seeing the results of the generations of instant gratification.

Its certainly concerning for the future given the main reason I suspect a lot of us visit the forum is because every once in a while we get to learn new things we didn't know before.  If we can't successfully convert people into that way of thinking, rather just expecting an answer, there will be nobody left to provide help once were too old to do so.

Then we have the flip side of people taking advise from TikTok videos, its downright terrifying.  Where the influencers not only are grossly unqualified, but often post outright dangerous ideas.

That's a good thing about this forum, you build a reputation based on if you solve peoples problems and if your advise is bad there is usually someone else around to correct you.  I've always HATED being corrected when I get things wrong, but this forum especially has been great for putting me back on the right track when I have a brain-fog moment.  I think there is only one poster I can think of that can be quite offensive about it, most of the regulars are great.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

We do unfortunately seem to be seeing the results of the generations of instant gratification.

Its certainly concerning for the future given the main reason I suspect a lot of us visit the forum is because every once in a while we get to learn new things we didn't know before.  If we can't successfully convert people into that way of thinking, rather just expecting an answer, there will be nobody left to provide help once were too old to do so.

Then we have the flip side of people taking advise from TikTok videos, its downright terrifying.  Where the influencers not only are grossly unqualified, but often post outright dangerous ideas.

That's a good thing about this forum, you build a reputation based on if you solve peoples problems and if your advise is bad there is usually someone else around to correct you.  I've always HATED being corrected when I get things wrong, but this forum especially has been great for putting me back on the right track when I have a brain-fog moment.  I think there is only one poster I can think of that can be quite offensive about it, most of the regulars are great.

I dislike being corrected.
I hate being wrong.

It is better to learn than to remain ignorant and proud.  

14 minutes ago, da na said:

Good idea with the NFTs. Have post count on the forum pay out in a cryptocurrency which definitely has real-world value and absolutely is not a scam and totally is not a net loss after fees when you withdraw your $0.03 

But then the quality of posts would go down and spam up.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:39 PM, Anonymous1234 said:

Does anyone have any ideas how the Linus Tech Tips forum could be better?

More hostility

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

More hostility

More cage matches

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Then again, those who stay usually stay longer and are for the better of the community.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

53 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Then again, those who stay usually stay longer and are for the better of the community.

I suppose there is something to be said for being seen as a useful resource so that just maybe they will stick around and learn how to problem solve themselves.  After all, we all needed the motivation from somewhere.

My pet hate are people who post a problem then follow up with "solved it" without bothering to explain how.

16 hours ago, Erioch said:

df0.gif

I dont like this meme ... because its used against me. :old-wink:

7 hours ago, gravitywave said:

I tell ya what would improve LTT Forum community: collectible crypto avatars like on reddit. 😁

7 hours ago, Ripred said:

Linus NFT's

mmm no.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

what're you talking about?

Settle down.  I'm (mostly) joking.

3 hours ago, Erioch said:

Settle down.  I'm (mostly) joking.

oh sorry lol, I couldn't tell

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 2/27/2024 at 7:30 PM, Erioch said:

Mods here REALLY don't like memes.

Which I am really glad for.

A quick way to ruin a forum is to fill it with the same bad jokes over and over. 

I am fairly sure that at some point there was a "no memes" rule, because at the time every topic was just a bunch of reaction images. There was basically zero discussion going on, just people trying to find the same overused joke that vaguely fits the topic at hand and then posting that.

But I can't find that rule now so maybe I am misremembering.

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's a good thing about this forum, you build a reputation based on if you solve peoples problems and if your advise is bad there is usually someone else around to correct you. 

If you ask me, I think the reputation and post-count system isn't that good. It encourages people to shitpost and jump on bandwagons to rake up points, regardless of whether their posts are correct or good. It's important to not confuse post count or reputation for some kind of "knowledge indicator", but I think a lot of people fall for that trap. 

I prefer when posts are judged by their content, not who posted it.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Which I am really glad for.

A quick way to ruin a forum is to fill it with the same bad jokes over and over.

WHAT THATS THE BEST PART OF ANYTHING

35 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

WHAT THATS THE BEST PART OF ANYTHING

I strongly disagree. I think using the same jokes/images over and over is the absolute lowest form of "humor". It's awful IMO. Especialyl since it's mostly just people posting the exact same things over and over without adding their own ideas to it.

I don't have anything against memes, but memes are funny when people put their own twist on them. When they change it slightly. Just posting the same joke someone else made over and over isn't funny. It's lazy, low-effort, and boring.

But if you like that kind of thing then I think it is more suitable for a chat service like Discord, not a forum. Discord and other chat services are more "in the moment". Once something is posted then in a few minutes later they are gone and nobody will see it again. That's not the case with forums.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

But if you like that kind of thing then I think it is more suitable for a chat service like Discord, not a forum. Discord and other chat services are more "in the moment". Once something is posted then in a few minutes later they are gone and nobody will see it again. That's not the case with forums.

we have used the same wide linus selfie for years and years and it's funny every single time

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

i tried this once and i was told we dont tell people to just gXXXe it. so no its in the form rules. i guess in that case if you dont no the answer then dont say anything.

but there lots of info that was there now gone or are way deeper to find so...🤷‍♂️

well other form post i think try and clean up the info after removing alot of talk in between then pin it.

but they want things to be archived but no way to archive it... like people keep asking about fans and info given about it over and over. i guess they think people will i guess type in xxx fan and read thousands of post to see if your question is there i guess... but if people dont no to do that in the first place...

people are sapos to mark a post to the solution but most dont. and some want to keep the talk going.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i tried this once and i was told we dont tell people to just gXXXe it. so no its in the form rules. i guess in that case if you dont no the answer then dont say anything.

I guess it comes to back to me being on the forum to learn things, so finding questions I do not know the answer to and Googling it for the OP is a good way to do that.

5 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

Yup, "let me Google that for you" is against the rules. It's unnecessary snark. 

Honestly, what bothers me more is when someone asks a vague question but expects a precise answer, and getting more information about their setup, problem, and steps they've already tried is like pulling teeth. The worst ones get indignant when people ask follow-up questions. I don't mind looking up an answer for someone (or even posting a link to or screenshot of the relevant page in their manual) if they at least tell us what hardware they're working with and what it's doing.

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If you ask me, I think the reputation and post-count system isn't that good. It encourages people to shitpost and jump on bandwagons to rake up points, regardless of whether their posts are correct or good. It's important to not confuse post count or reputation for some kind of "knowledge indicator", but I think a lot of people fall for that trap. 

That's why karma farming is also against the rules. It won't stop people from trying, but calling it out and stopping it is justified.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:45 AM, colonel_mortis said:

Spam and Non-Constructive posts

• No spamming or non-constructive posts, including:
    • Posting the same topic multiple times
    • LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) links or comments in the same spirit
    • Post count / Solution count / reputation farming
  • No posts generated by AI
  • No shortened links (bit.ly etc.) without the permission of staff.
  • No thread dumping (posting a thread in the wrong section). Check the forum for the most appropriate location for your thread before posting.

I'm honestly not sure how a "real" reputation system could work on a traditional forum like this without a lot of manual intervention. Reddit-style upvote/downvote would only encourage brigading. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 2/27/2024 at 7:30 PM, Erioch said:

Mods here REALLY don't like memes.

I've never gotten any negative feedback from mods when using memes. Then again, I also tend to not just post memes with no further elaboration. I think using some levity to illustrate a point with a meme is perfectly valid if you also take a moment to seriously write down your thoughts (feel free to reprimand me if you feel otherwise, mods). 

What bothers me most about forums is generally what bothers me about human interactions as a whole:

• Asking for help but being stingy with information and acting like you're entitled to a response.
  • Seeking help or advice by signing up and starting a thread only to seemingly toss your phone or computer into the depths of the abyss and never showing up again to either acknowledge or thank for the help or confirm that it worked. I don't need to have my answer marked as the solution, I don't care about that counter. The words "Thank you" are immeasurably more valuable.
  • Being confrontational about your desired solutions with no qualifiers, i.e. "Don't recommend me X" even though X would perfectly solve the problem but we'll never know why that'd be out of the question.
  • Overly aggressive pleas for help regarding banal problems. If the UI of some app or website changes, you deal with it like an adult, not by throwing a temper tantrum.
  • "Never mind, I've solved it."
    Christian Bale - Good for you! by sebadgk Sound Effect - Tuna
    Tell us how you did it for others who might also run into the same issue.
  • Not using the search function. This probably ties into the reluctance of people using Google to look up solutions for their problems, but it's hilarious and infuriating to see two threads in the same subforum about the same problem. 
  • Misplaced confidence by alumni of the Dunning-Kruger program of "I learned it from ChatGPT".
  • Taking photos of devices with built-in screenshot capabilities. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm honestly not sure how a "real" reputation system could work on a traditional forum like this without a lot of manual intervention. Reddit-style upvote/downvote would only encourage brigading. 

What about a point system based on how many reactions you get? 

3 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

What about a point system based on how many reactions you get? 

Why would that be better?  Surely the most relevant opinion is that of the OP asking for help, only they can judge who was most helpful.  Though I admit, sometimes when several people offered advice I felt it a little unfair if I got marked as the solution, but it is what it is.

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Why would that be better?  Surely the most relevant opinion is that of the OP asking for help, only they can judge who was most helpful.  Though I admit, sometimes when several people offered advice I felt it a little unfair if I got marked as the solution, but it is what it is.

well there the like/agree button...ya i seen things marked when it was not the solution. and ya if mutly people offer solutions they get nothing... also i seen it marks and continue to have a conversation and offer other solutions something mods hate when people talk...

redit was proven mods are crupt if they dont like the post or persone its removed. i tried many times with nms,diablo 2 and mindcraft ive give up. and with thows its just post pics all day and get upvotes of "how cool" my pic is..

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links