[Rumor] Google is buying Twitch for $1+ Billion in cash![Update2: MS almost beat Google to it]

Rafy

Oh no! I really hope this is not true, but Variety is pretty accurate on rumors... It will be a very sad day if it happens.

Edit: looks like http://www.hitbox.tv/ will be taking off if that happens, a lot of major streamers already have accounts there if I recall correctly.

Google’s YouTube has reached a deal to buy Twitch, a popular videogame-streaming company, for more than $1 billion, according to sources familiar with the pact.

The deal, in an all-cash offer, is expected to be announced imminently, sources said. If completed the acquisition would be the most significant in the history of YouTube, which Google acquired in 2006 for $1.65 billion. The impending acquisition comes after longtime Google ad exec Susan Wojcicki was named CEO of YouTube earlier this year.

Reps for YouTube and Twitch declined to comment.

Sources:

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/youtube-to-acquire-videogame-streaming-service-twitch-for-1-billion-sources-1201185204/

http://kotaku.com/report-youtube-is-buying-twitch-for-1-billion-1578241076?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

UPDATE:

Apparently they are still in talks according to the WSJ.

Source: https://twitter.com/RolfeWinkler/status/468180242343817217

UPDATE2:

Looks like MS wanted to buy Twitch before the reported Google deal.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a572172/microsoft-interested-in-buying-twitch-before-reported-google-deal.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=twitter

Twitch is worth well over 1 billion in my opinion. It wouldn't necessarily be  a bad thing of Google bought it. I don't think Twitch will sell out though.

Twitch is worth well over 1 billion in my opinion. It wouldn't necessarily be  a bad thing of Google bought it.

I also thought it would be worth more. I wonder what kind of integration they will create. Look forward to it

24vMbZP.jpg

Twitch is worth well over 1 billion in my opinion. It wouldn't necessarily be  a bad thing of Google bought it. I don't think Twitch will sell out though.

I'm sorry but have you been on YouTube lately?

It would be interesting to see what google will do to twitch. Maybe our twitch accounts will be linked to google+ like youtube did.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

I'm sorry but have you been on YouTube lately?

Yes I'm on there a lot, is there anything specific that bugs you? Because I manage just fine.

Yes I'm on there a lot, is there anything specific that bugs you? Because I manage just fine.

Interface keeps changing and getting worse every time it does, bitrate is beyond sub-par, horrible comment system and more stuff that I just make myself forget as I have to use it very often.

EDIT: Let's not forget the myriads of things that break when they fix another issue.

It surprises me how many of you come here and say "Oh this will be good" but cry thunder when Comcast tries to buy TWC: at the end of the day this is just as bad for competition, now there would be no real alternative for content creators that are still being chased out of youtube by DMCA takedowns and claims. Twitch would be basically impossible under youtube rules as it stands and Google has consistently shown that it's going to side with the trigger happy, overzealous content creators and flatout ignore laws like fair use.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It surprises me how many of you come here and say "Oh this will be good" but cry thunder when Comcast tries to buy TWC: at the end of the day this is just as bad for competition, now there would be no real alternative for content creators that are still being chased out of youtube by DMCA takedowns and claims. Twitch would be basically impossible under youtube rules as it stands and Google has consistently shown that it's going to side with the trigger happy, overzealous content creators and flatout ignore laws like fair use.

Yeah, no more playing songs in your stream with Spotify or showing clips of stuff.

Yeah, no more playing songs in your stream with Spotify or showing clips of stuff.

Goes beyond that: as it stands companies can abuse DMCA takedowns for non copyright related stuff just to silence criticism:

-------

Current Rig

-------

Goes beyond that: as it stands companies can abuse DMCA takedowns for non copyright related stuff just to silence criticism:

Yep, that is very true especially after the new youtube takedown policies and the way it works to dispute claims. So thanks, but no thanks.

forth repost :L

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

How long are we going to have to deal with every other post being about this