Why some cables cost so much - The Adam Savage video.

Distinctly Average

It is just amazing to see CT scans of a $130 Apple cable vs cheap ones. We all know that not all cables are made equal and USB-C is a wired one in that they don’t have to support all of the features. Seeing the inside of a cable this way really shows the differences. I’ve always been very dismissive of over priced HDMI cables, but cables that carry data ah such rates as well as high power are a different matter. This was especially true when a cheap USC-C cable set light to my daughters desk last year.

You can view the scans here - https://www.lumafield.com/article/usb-c-cable-charger-head-to-head-comparison-apple-thunderbolt-amazon-basics

image.thumb.png.c54941ff979a7d62764dc24eca4c6e71.png

Arstechnica wrote about this last week as well.

My only problem is that they really didn't do a fair comparison - they should've included CalDigit's 1-meter and 2-meter TB3/4 cables for us to better appreciate what it took to go beyond 2 meters.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

27 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

It is just amazing to see CT scans of a $130 Apple cable vs cheap ones. We all know that not all cables are made equal and USB-C is a wired one in that they don’t have to support all of the features. Seeing the inside of a cable this way really shows the differences. I’ve always been very dismissive of over priced HDMI cables, but cables that carry data ah such rates as well as high power are a different matter. This was especially true when a cheap USC-C cable set light to my daughters desk last year.

You can view the scans here - https://www.lumafield.com/article/usb-c-cable-charger-head-to-head-comparison-apple-thunderbolt-amazon-basics

My question is ....

Why bother comparing a thunderbolt (Thunderbolt 4 at that) cable with a non thunderbolt cable :x

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Thunderbolt is well, Thunderbolt. This baby can fit like, idk, 4 PCIe lanes in it. What can USB do? Some data and some power....maybe.

Not a fair comparison, but interesting none the less.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What can USB do? Some data and some power....maybe.

tbf, usb-c pd isnt just "some power", its like 240 watts over a usb c cable. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

tbf, usb-c pd isnt just "some power", its like 240 watts over a usb c cable. 

Agreed, and why the small fire we had happened.

38 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

My question is ....

Why bother comparing a thunderbolt (Thunderbolt 4 at that) cable with a non thunderbolt cable :x

Thunderbolt is a feature set that can be included in a USB-C cable.  The video and scans show that not all cables are made equal. It also shows how even the assembly methods vary substantially.

3 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

Thunderbolt is a feature set that can be included in a USB-C cable.  The video and scans show that not all cables are made equal. It also shows how even the assembly methods vary substantially.

But it poorly does a comparison.

You don't need X-rays to tell me that a TB3/4 cable is different from a 10gbps USB-3 cable is different from a USB-C 2.0 cable.

The X-rays would've been awesome to compare a 2-meter TB4 cable against a 3-meter TB4 cable, or a crappy 10gbps USB3 cable against a premium 10gbps USB3 cable.

It's like seeing a counterfeit Rolex compared to a genuine one. But the article decides to compare a Timex to a genuine Rolex instead.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, Distinctly Average said:

There's a certification for Thunderbolt.

Basically there's a minimum standard that has to be met for each Thunderbolt version.

So comparing a Thunderbolt 4 certified cable to a non thunderbolt $13 480mbps cable is kinda....... pointless. Since the latter is pretty much just USB2.0 cable with a type-C connector on one/both of it's end(s).

That's probably like comparing the innards of a smartphone with old fliptop nokia.

or for simpler comparison, a Cat 5 cable with Cat 8 cable.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-4-vs-usb-c.html

https://www.thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/certification

One notable difference is wire gauge for sure. Even my Orico $10 100w / 10gbps type-c is way thicker than my $2 480mbps/under 40w Type-C.

Not to mention knowing Apple I wouldn't be surprised if they added an authentication chip into their cable just to make iphones/apple product know it's an apple cable.

Not saying that all cables that claimed they're thunderbolt 4 cable out there are the same.

There are shit TB4 cables, there are fake TB4 cables. There is brands that dares to claim they're certified while they aren't.

For a company as big as Apple it is very unlikely they'll lie about theirs. The world would totally roast them for it.

Just saying the X-ray machine & time should've been put to a better use, like Comparing Apple's TB4 cable to other TB4 cables.

Or simply comparing 480mbps/5/10/20/40Gbps Type-C with/without above 20w charging capability with one another.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Did he just say there's "two power supplies" in the cable at 1:36 ? The fuck does he mean there's two power supply... Is he pointing at the capacitors?
Like what was already said. They are comparing a thunderbolt cable to regular usb-c cables... Not at all the same thing.

The fact the "entry level" iPhone 15 only supports up to USB 2.0 speeds anyway, makes this cable entirely redundant in the first place for most users.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

So, they compared 2m active Thunderbolt cable to 1 extra cheap passive USB2 cable, 1 a bit more expensive USB2 charging cable and 1 passive USB3 cable.

Is this some ad for poor people to feel better for their spent money?

Like come on! If you want to make cable ad at least bring the real deals to the table and not some puny 2m copper piece of junk that is hardly any better than the Amazon Basic piece of junk.

If you want to impress someone and not look like some normal mortal pleb with a bit more expensive Apple cable, at least bring something like the Corning Thunderbolt3 cable to the comparison: 5-50m optical that you can pull through AC electromagnet without your data even noticing. And the price, $400 for 15m of data moving fibre-optic greatness.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

If you didn't see the sarcasm and humor, here's emote to show you how serious I am 😜

26 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Did he just say there's "two power supplies" in the cable at 1:36 ? The fuck does he mean there's two power supply... Is he pointing at the capacitors?

yes but no. 

the RLC circuits are there to regulate power. It is not incorrect to call them power supplies, just weird, they are the same as a creating a power rail to standardize against. You see the the two inductors there for that purpose. 

image.png.70f89baa03dff8e71d1a9e099be086d7.png

Those are two different power rails. 

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Like what was already said. They are comparing a thunderbolt cable to regular usb-c cables... Not at all the same thing.

The fact the "entry level" iPhone 15 only supports up to USB 2.0 speeds anyway, makes this cable entirely redundant in the first place for most users.

Think of it like a pc power supply, you need different voltages for different parts of the device. In this case they are really dc-dc converters or regulators to take the voltage from the supply and turn it into the relevant voltages the chips require. In this case there appears to be two different voltages needed.

58 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

So, they compared 2m active Thunderbolt cable to 1 extra cheap passive USB2 cable, 1 a bit more expensive USB2 charging cable and 1 passive USB3 cable.

Is this some ad for poor people to feel better for their spent money?

Like come on! If you want to make cable ad at least bring the real deals to the table and not some puny 2m copper piece of junk that is hardly any better than the Amazon Basic piece of junk.

If you want to impress someone and not look like some normal mortal pleb with a bit more expensive Apple cable, at least bring something like the Corning Thunderbolt3 cable to the comparison: 5-50m optical that you can pull through AC electromagnet without your data even noticing. And the price, $400 for 15m of data moving fibre-optic greatness.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

If you didn't see the sarcasm and humor, here's emote to show you how serious I am 😜

A few things here, this is not a review. This is just to give people an understanding of that is different in these types of cables and why the apple one costs so much. It is an interesting look at the different constructions in a way we would never normally see.

Ican also guarantee you that average joe does not know their arse from their elbow, let alone an active TB4 cable from a cheap charge lead. I’ve seen this numerous times. People charging laptops with the cheapest of cables and wondering why they don’t last long, overheat or don’t provide the functions they thought they should. I’ve also seen people using expensive cables for charging their phone in the car and nothing else. It is the norm, and a lot of the confusion bought about by the USB standard which is frankly a mess.

As an electronics geek myself, I found seeing the scans very interesting.

so long story short
Apple cords are expensive because they are thunderbolt cables

Cool to see these shots. Didn't watch the vid but I do hope we see more USB4 in the wild.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

20 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

A few things here, this is not a review. This is just to give people an understanding of that is different in these types of cables and why the apple one costs so much. It is an interesting look at the different constructions in a way we would never normally see.

Ican also guarantee you that average joe does not know their arse from their elbow, let alone an active TB4 cable from a cheap charge lead. I’ve seen this numerous times. People charging laptops with the cheapest of cables and wondering why they don’t last long, overheat or don’t provide the functions they thought they should. I’ve also seen people using expensive cables for charging their phone in the car and nothing else. It is the norm, and a lot of the confusion bought about by the USB standard which is frankly a mess.

As an electronics geek myself, I found seeing the scans very interesting.

lol are you're intentionally misunderstanding the criticism?

The scans show why a Thunderbolt 4 cable is more expensive than a regular USB-C cable. You don't need x-ray scans to describe that. Quick Google searching would also tell the average Joe the same thing.

The x-ray scans fail to use this opportunity to demonstrate why a Apple's 3-meter Thunderbolt 4 cable costs $160 while a CalDigit 2-meter Thunderbolt 4 cable costs $65. It's an assumption that there's a lot more Engineering involved to go from 2-meters to 3-meters, but this article doesn't provide any information to add facts to the assumption.

In fact the article could've compared CalDigit's $65 2-meter cable to Apple's $129 1.8-meter cable!
Is there more Engineering involved for Apple's cable at this length, or is this another case of "we're Apple, we're going to charge more" ?

3 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

lol are you're intentionally misunderstanding the criticism?

The scans show why a Thunderbolt 4 cable is more expensive than a regular USB-C cable. You don't need x-ray scans to describe that. Quick Google searching would also tell the average Joe the same thing.

The x-ray scans fail to use this opportunity to demonstrate why a Apple's 3-meter Thunderbolt 4 cable costs $160 while a CalDigit 2-meter Thunderbolt 4 cable costs $65. It's an assumption that there's a lot more Engineering involved to go from 2-meters to 3-meters, but this article doesn't provide any information to add facts to the assumption.

In fact the article could've compared CalDigit's $65 2-meter cable to Apple's $129 1.8-meter cable!
Is there more Engineering involved for Apple's cable at this length, or is this another case of "we're Apple, we're going to charge more" ?

What you have to remember here is that Adam Savage is not a kit reviewer, he is a maker. You also have to under the history of the relationship with the company that did the CT scan. In this case they were use so some replica models could be made from very fragile original moulds. They are not LTT, but a company that did this because it is interesting. You seem to be obviously missing that.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:47 AM, Distinctly Average said:

image.thumb.png.c54941ff979a7d62764dc24eca4c6e71.png

Because people will convince themselves of things that don't exist to feed some need.

Read:  Self professed audiophiles.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Because people will convince themselves of things that don't exist to feed some need.

Read:  Self professed audiophiles.

Oh we all know those lot. I remember going into a large audio retailer to buy an optical cable to connect one of my PlayStations to my home theatre amp. The salesman tried to convince me that I needed to special low oxygen version at £120 instead of the £20 one as it would drastically improve my audio. I left and bought one for £1.99 from the local supermarket.

Unfortunately, the Internet is filled with “experts” and I am convinced that through time people who believe their words spread them and eventually they become the “truth”. I suppose that is one of the risks of AI spreading its own truths.

I do think the story was an interest story, and not a review though. To me it is more showing the tech of a modern CT scan. Being able to see 9 layers of a PCB in such detail is quite astonishing.

This is Apples' 1.8 meter (5 ft 10.8 inch) ThunderBolt 4 cable.  Intel specifies what it must go into the cable make it meet TB4 specifications and then it must pass an Intel certification test certifying it meets the standards.

Nothing I've seen here makes it better than the 6 foot 70 dollar TB4 certified cables from multiple other sellers at a much lower cost.

There is a lot of "oh gee look here," but no direct like for like comparison of a similar size TB4 certified cable.  Maybe that would have found some difference from the TB 4 standard.

The pictures of the internals are the only interesting part of this article.

"OMG, a signal repeater... wow, so much compute." Said nobody competent in the subject matter. Differential signals are nothing new, and require literally 0 compute, and equal trace length matters there. DATA is ALWAYS in bits; and the thunderbolt controller in the computer does the multiplexing, not the damn cable. Man, Displayport to VGA adapters would really blow their minds. "Let's compare a thunderbolt cable to a USB 2.0 type C cable"... "nobody's twisting their mustache to rob you"... I beg to differ; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had some round-about legally removed way of sponsoring this without disclosure, to make their shit look like it's 1000 years ahead of everything else. This is a far cry from the Mythbusters level testing I respected and enjoyed as a kid. 

It's like they all fucked off, smoked some epic pot, then looked at some rainbow pictures. That's how intelligent this was. I have experience with smoking pot daily for over a month... this is what that's like; incompetent jackassery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5aAd8Oy84

You know Adam isn't completely knowledge about..everything right?
The man knows what he knows. I don't believe he ever said he was immensely knowledgable about computers

24 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

I have experience with smoking pot daily for over a month.

sorry, the only people who say this are 13 year olds trying to be edgy on the internet.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒