Why some cables cost so much - The Adam Savage video.

Distinctly Average
15 minutes ago, BrandonLatzig said:

I don't believe he ever said he was immensely knowledgable about computers

He has, in fact, said the exact opposite, that his knowledge of electronics is passible at best. For the types of stuff he does, that's all it needs to be. The man is a craftsman, not a computer scientist. 

I have some qualms with that video and how it was framed, but it's far from the worst piece of content ever put onto the internet. From just the standpoint of looking at CT scans of cables, it's a little interesting and how the different types of cables need different things. The fact that Apple they emphasized one cable was Apple (either intentionally or not) was a bit weird, but seeing as how a lot of the people who watch that channel are more makers than electrical engineers marketing it somewhat with the "Apple high end" vibe makes a some sense. It was definitely supposed to be entertainment more than it was informative, the framing just had it seem like the balance was a little bit more towards informative than it actually was. 

46 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

"OMG, a signal repeater... wow, so much compute." Said nobody competent in the subject matter. Differential signals are nothing new, and require literally 0 compute, and equal trace length matters there. DATA is ALWAYS in bits; and the thunderbolt controller in the computer does the multiplexing, not the damn cable. Man, Displayport to VGA adapters would really blow their minds. "Let's compare a thunderbolt cable to a USB 2.0 type C cable"... "nobody's twisting their mustache to rob you"... I beg to differ; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had some round-about legally removed way of sponsoring this without disclosure, to make their shit look like it's 1000 years ahead of everything else. This is a far cry from the Mythbusters level testing I respected and enjoyed as a kid. 

It's like they all fucked off, smoked some epic pot, then looked at some rainbow pictures. That's how intelligent this was. I have experience with smoking pot daily for over a month... this is what that's like; incompetent jackassery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5aAd8Oy84

Bro.

People see Thunderbolt cables and do think the cable maker is taking the piss. BECAUSE historically, a USB cable like that would be. 
The video shows that an active Thunderbolt does cost a magnitude more than a USB charging cable, and even a USB data cable

The fact that Apple charges 130 vs 70-80 is really neither here nor there. Neither price is criminal. Apple cable you know will meet or exceed the spec vs seeing some brand you never heard of charging 100 with all the craziness around USB 3.x that may not meet a spec and is taking the piss. 

There are parts that could have been better communicated, yes. but no they are not smoking anything. Nothing they stated was wrong. 

They also said, for strictly charging at 5v, the cheap ones will do just fine. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

more than it was informative, the framing just had it seem like the balance was a little bit more towards informative than it actually was. 

1st intelligent reply. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Nothing they stated was wrong. 

... um, bullshit. There's no useful logic in the cable; the cable doesn't do any data stream muxxing. The closest thing to "logic" that it could have, is EEPROM functionality, enough to tell the computer (USB/Thunderbolt controller) "I'm new and can handle this recent, pulled out of the ass of USB org, wattage spec", and to tell a MAC "i'm legit Apple; don't work with the other Thunderbolt cables".

Edited by MarcWolfe
additional info and punctuation

14 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

... um, bullshit. There's no useful logic in the cable; the cable doesn't do any data stream muxxing. The closest thing to "logic" that it could have, is EEPROM functionality, enough to tell the computer (USB/Thunderbolt controller) "I'm new and can handle this recent, pulled out of the ass of USB org, wattage spec", and to tell a MAC "i'm legit Apple; don't work with the other Thunderbolt cables".

Not to jump in too deep here, but I'm using a $25 Thunderbolt 4/USB 4 cable with my Mac Studio and have had zero issues. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

30 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

... um, bullshit. There's no useful logic in the cable; the cable doesn't do any data stream muxxing.

Active thunderbolt 4 does more then just reapeating. 

This is the large chip in there, the big one on the BGA socket 
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/JHL7040-S-RGWR?qs=DRkmTr78QAQ3nzlERQUCVA%3D%3D
The repeaters have to keep it all in spec. there is no way to do that without a bunch of retiming with DACs, and ADCs

The chip has firmware, its smart. Hell it has KNOWN software bugs. 

There are also a few other chips on that board. 

This is the other chip on the board, the smaller one (specifically the CYPDC1186B2 revision
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-EZ-PD_CCG3PA2_DATASHEET_USB_TYPE-C_PORT_CONTROLLER-DataSheet-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=8ac78c8c80027ecd01802832031e7f37
It has a full on ARM CPU in there.

A FULL ON ARM CPU.
Its not just a repeater.

And there are two of them, per cable

There is also another chip that I dont know, all I see is that its intel 802.3cd Looks new and completely under NDA. No idea what it does.

52 minutes ago, starsmine said:

It has a full on ARM CPU in there.

I'll repeat what i said about USEFUL logic. 

I'll concede ONLY to the re-timing point\; but only because it's slightly beyond my certainty, and I don't care to go down the necessary rabbit hole right now.

Edited by MarcWolfe
expounding detail

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Jesus, you're acting like Adam fucked your wife. Chill out bruh.

bro wake up and choose violence 🤣🤣🤣

LENNYYYYYYYYY!!!!! WHERE R U BUOYYYYY??????

•  Laptop:
    • Current
      • Spoiler

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 8 | i5-1335U | 16GB LPDDR 6400MT/s Soldered | WD SN810 1TB NVMe (Win11) | 14 inch 1200p IPS 500 nits panel | Intel AX211 | 65W USB-C PD adapter | Aliexpress DIY Thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Heavily modified Lenovo ThinkPad T480 | i7-8550U | 2x 16GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MT/s | Custom FCBGA 595 to Oculink 2.0 @ PCIe 3.0 x4 (using removed nvidia MX150 dGPU pinout) | 14 inch 1080p IPS 350 nits panel | 7 Row classic keyboard mod (from T25) | 512GB Samsung PM981a NVMe SSD (Win10) + 256GB WD SN520 2242 NVMe SSD (Manjaro; on WWAN slot) | Intel AX210NGW | 65W USB-C PD adapter  | Oculink 2.0 to PCIe x16 DIY dock eGPU with JieShuo RTX 3060M 12GB 

• Workstation:
    • Current - Repurposed as Homelab Dev Server
      • Spoiler

AMD EPYC 9454P 48C/96T | Tyan Tomcat HX S8050 (S8050GM2NE) Socket SP5 | 8x32GB (256GB) Kingston Fury Renegade DDR5 4800MT/s RDIMM | Colorful iGame RTX 4080 Advanced OC (windows VM) | PowerColor RX 6600XT Fighter (MacOS VM) | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID 1, Proxmox) | 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (RAIDZ1, VM storage) | Nvidia Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX 25Gb SFP+ PCIe x8 (MCX4111A) | Seasonic Prime TX 1600W | Thermaltake Core W100 case | Enermax LIQTECH TR4 II 280mm AIO (SP5 Kit) |8x Deepcool TF140S Fan

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2650v3 10C/20T (locked all core 3GHz) | Dell ALienware Area 51 R2 Motherboard (MSi MS-7862) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR enabled) | 4x16GB (64GB) SKhynix ECC LRDIMM 2666MT/s Quad Channel | Colorful iGame GTX 1070 Flame Ares U-TOP | Samsung PM981a 512GB NVMe SSD (Win10) + TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA 512GB (Manjaro) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) |  Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | PowerUp Raptor 1633 case + 6x Deepcool RF-120FS case fan | IndoCase 500W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-500).

• Homelab AIO server:
    • Current - Repurposed as Backup server
      • Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 (OEM CPU, got it from AliExpress) | Asus Prime B550-Plus AC-HES | 4x16GB (64GB) Samsung DDR4 3200MT/s ECC UDIMM | 2x Intel Optane M10 64GB (RAID1, TrueNAS Scale) | 6x Seagate SkyHawk 8TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1; Alhua rebranded drive) | Asrock ARC A380 6GB Challenger OC (Terminal + Transcoding GPU) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC | Deepcool Gammax C40 (dual fan) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800) | Samsung Galaxy S10+ 5G (5G backup uplink for Router VM).

• Retired
      • Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5-2695v3 14C/28T (force dynamic turbo all core up to 3GHz) | Huananzhi X99-TF-Q (Q87 chipset) LGA 2011v3 with modded BIOS (ReBAR & all core turbo enabled) | 4x32GB (128GB) Samsung ECC LRDIMM 2133MT/s Quad Channel | Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 (via M.2 E key riser; for basic display) + Dell GTX 1070 OEM (transcoding GPU) + Sapphire Pulse RX 470D 4GB (MacOS Ventura VM) | 2x Kingston A400 120GB (mirrored; TrueNAS SCALE) + 6x Samsung PM981a 1TB (VM storage; RAID Z1) + 7x WD Purple 4TB (Bulk storage; RAID Z1) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) | Alseye M90 CPU cooler (hacksawed to work with LGA 2011v3) | IndoCase IC4008 4U rackmount case + 5x Deepcool XFAN120 + 2x Deepcool XFAN80 | IndoCase 800W 80+ Silver PSU (Rebranded & binned up Gamemax GM-800).

• DIY Router:
    • Current
      • Decommisioned, current router system is running on current AIO Homelab server as VM (Modemsofmen ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10).
    • Retired
      • Spoiler

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Prebuilt | Intel core i5-4460T | 4x 4GB Samsung DDR3L 1600MT/s UDIMM Dual Channel | 1x Kingston A400 120GB (ROOTer GoldenORB OpenWRT 22.10) | Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP 2.0 NIC (with PCIe adapter) + Realtek RTL8125 2.5GBe PCIe NIC + Intel i210 SFP PCIe card with Mikrotik SFP ONU module (for WAN, my default ISP modem sucks) + Fibocom L860 4G modem (with USB 3.0 adapter, for WAN redundancy).

• Desk setup:
    • Spoiler

viewsonic VA2732-H 27 inch + VA2215H 22 inch (portrait) 1080p 75Hz IPS monitor | DIY sound system with 2 50W DIY bookshelf speaker | Senheisser HD 600 Headphone | Keychron K1 SE keyboard (Low profile Gateron brown) | Lenovo ThinkLife WLM210 mice | Samsung Galaxy S8+ (used as a Webcam LOL).

4 hours ago, MarcWolfe said:

"OMG, a signal repeater... wow, so much compute." Said nobody competent in the subject matter. Differential signals are nothing new, and require literally 0 compute, and equal trace length matters there. DATA is ALWAYS in bits; and the thunderbolt controller in the computer does the multiplexing, not the damn cable. Man, Displayport to VGA adapters would really blow their minds. "Let's compare a thunderbolt cable to a USB 2.0 type C cable"... "nobody's twisting their mustache to rob you"... I beg to differ; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had some round-about legally removed way of sponsoring this without disclosure, to make their shit look like it's 1000 years ahead of everything else. This is a far cry from the Mythbusters level testing I respected and enjoyed as a kid. 

It's like they all fucked off, smoked some epic pot, then looked at some rainbow pictures. That's how intelligent this was. I have experience with smoking pot daily for over a month... this is what that's like; incompetent jackassery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5aAd8Oy84

Merged to existing discussion on this video.

The other reason is to keep things less confusing. It's whole another channel (Tested) of which your complain is about. You don't mention it in your main post, it would only show after clicking the link (as it doesn't embed correctly). Only mention is reference to Mythbusters which is only clear AFTER you are aware of which "Adam" you are talking about.

LMG has employee named Adam. This being LMG's community forum, logical first assumption is that you are talking about LMG employee and the top context would make this similar to first take on the Drama.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, MarcWolfe said:

I'll repeat what i said about USEFUL logic. 

I'll concede ONLY to the re-timing point\; but only because it's slightly beyond my certainty, and I don't care to go down the necessary rabbit hole right now.

Define Useful vs unuseful logic please.

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

LMG has employee named Adam.

I will be honest, this is what I thought of when I originally clicked, though I don't remember who adam is at LMG

2 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

I will be honest, this is what I thought of when I originally clicked, though I don't remember who adam is at LMG

There are actually two of which one is writer. Which does make this really confusing if skimmed or just seen title.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

There are actually two of which one is writer. Which does make this really confusing if skimmed or just seen title.

Whats even funnier is the guy who I am thinking of I dont think is adam. I believe its like the main host for tech quickie? At least in older videos he admitted in not being extremely tech savvy

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Merged to existing discussion on this video.

The other reason is to keep things less confusing. It's whole another channel (Tested) of which your complain is about. You don't mention it in your main post, it would only show after clicking the link (as it doesn't embed correctly). Only mention is reference to Mythbusters which is only clear AFTER you are aware of which "Adam" you are talking about.

LMG has employee named Adam. This being LMG's community forum, logical first assumption is that you are talking about LMG employee and the top context would make this similar to first take on the Drama.

I'm sure, even here, Adam Savage is more well known than whatever the fuck the other Adam's last name is. 

What year is this that I have to do a damn thing for a youtube link to auto embed?

Edited by MarcWolfe
spelling and punctuation for readabillity

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Define Useful vs unuseful logic please.

It's a 1 to 1 cable, nothing.

11 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

I'm sure, even here, Adam Savage is more well known than whatever the fuck the other Adam's last name is. 

What year is this that I have to do a damn thing for a youtube link to auto embed?

Not without context his not. In your original post, only reference to who and what you are talking about until the link is "Mythbusters". Which considering this isn't Tested's forum, just isn't enough.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Not without context his not. In your original post, only reference to who and what you are talking about until the link is "Mythbusters". Which considering this isn't Tested's forum, just isn't enough.

It'd be enough if the link auto embedded. Don't blame me for this site's deficiencies.

17 minutes ago, MarcWolfe said:

I'm sure even here Adam Savage is more well known that whatever the fuck the other Adam's last name is. 

its not that Adam Savage isn't more well known. Its context. 

posting about Adam in LTT forums has us all assume an Adam from LTT before we assume Savage.

Also, they do auto embed, you turned it off by posting it as a hyperlink 

It's a 1 to 1 cable, nothing.

That was the least helpful definition. 
High-speed signal reconditioning requires logic.

hell even at lowspeed it does. 

Analog to digital converters need logic, you have to buffer, Error correct and retime it all. 

And if we're going to so heavily use "this is LTT forum" as our standard for judging things, it's enough. 

image.png.182f7d82d2d078835e3935339fd3b8d4.png

12 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Analog to digital converters need logic

And that has nothing to do with thunderbolt. 

I'm aware everything is essentially analog (because physics), not that I think that was going to be part of your point.

And that has nothing to do with thunderbolt. 

I'm aware everything is essentially analog (because physics), not that I think that was going to be part of your point.

broski. 
the signals look like this
image.thumb.png.5155b32a719355ef4d895496bf601591.png
Yes, they are digital signals... but even a square wave is an analog wave. 

Also, a generic retimer for you
retimer-block

Go have fun https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/serial-bus-white-paper.pdf

This is an early concpet block diagram of what thunderbolt needs
image.thumb.png.a3147a36008828d3fc8b5f81a7ab1866.png
I don't know what changes or additions have been made since then. This was them looking at pci 3. 
Thunderbolt 4 is 4 pcie 3 lanes.  
And it needs to also be protocal aware to switch between all the USB standards as well as shove well over 100W without emfing itself to death. 

7 minutes ago, starsmine said:

You say that as if I didn't.

7 minutes ago, starsmine said:

retimer-block

I made a statement on retiming already. Where's the mux?

The first time when i really came face to face with the reality of the so called "overpriced" cables vs regular ones was when i was buying a new USB-C cable for my P30 Pro phone. Before that i was using the original cable included in the box. It got destroyed by my cat in less than 6 months. Went to a local tech market and saw a promo on some nice HAMA cables and a really beautiful braided USB-C cable grabbed my attention. Even with the already massive discount of 40% it was still over 3 times more expensive than the usual "OEM" cables. Bought it, came back home, plugged it in my charging adapter, the very same i've been using with my phone since the day i bought it and... wait... wtf??? Supercharging???? Instantly thought something was f-ed up. Unplugged it and plugged in the USB-C cable i had from my old P20 Pro phone.. hmmm FastCharge only. Went to my car and got the cable i have in there, plugged it in... still FastCharge only. The moment i plugged that expensive cable, SuperCharge became instantly available. It also enabled FastCharging in my car, hooked to my standard 12V car charger adapter, which wasn't available before that. After a few weeks tried that with the USB cable my dad has on his Mate 20 Pro and my mom's S20 Ultra, both using still their original included cables and instantly SuperCharge and Ultra Charging became available. This cable has been with me for over 3 years now and looks as new as the day i bought it. Since then i've been switching all of my cables i regularly use to top quality ones and it worked magic for my experience. Not only with USB, but HDMI and DP as well. So yeah - my opinion changed 180°... from "naaah, just snake skin oil" to "holly sh*t, this really works and makes a difference". 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

8 hours ago, starsmine said:

broski. 
the signals look like this

retimer-block

Go have fun https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/serial-bus-white-paper.pdf

This is an early concpet block diagram of what thunderbolt needs
image.thumb.png.a3147a36008828d3fc8b5f81a7ab1866.png
I don't know what changes or additions have been made since then. This was them looking at pci 3. 
Thunderbolt 4 is 4 pcie 3 lanes.  
And it needs to also be protocal aware to switch between all the USB standards as well as shove well over 100W without emfing itself to death. 

Dude, you just cant post all of this highly technical stuff!
I just scooped my brain back into my head and its gonna leak back out now!

7 minutes ago, BrandonLatzig said:

Dude, you just cant post all of this highly technical stuff!
I just scooped my brain back into my head and its gonna leak back out now!

Don't worry too much about it; it's an over complicated method anyway.  

The most modern HDMI standards meet or exceed 40 Gbit. HDMI has a reference clock; don't need to re-time that.