T-Mobile US is going to move customers on older plans to newer, more expensive plans unless they opt out...

Invincible Sugar
Go to solution Solved by Invincible Sugar,

This story made it to TechLinked!

Summary

T-Mobile intends to migrate customers on older plans to new Go5G equivalents unless they opt-out. The auto-migration begins on October 17th, with potentially significant price increases for some customers. While technically no one is being forced to pay more, by making this an opt-OUT there will be a lot of customers negatively impacted by this.

image.thumb.png.9cef7a913d0ece6940ce08f2738eb429.png

Image credit: u/Appropriate_Draft_77

Quotes

As first shared on Reddit and separately confirmed by us here at The Mobile Report, T-Mobile plans to automatically migrate customers on older plans to a newer Go5G equivalent plan.

It’s a sad day for many T-Mobile customers. The days of T-Mobile being an honest company that won’t raise your rates behind your back are gone. Sure, you can opt-out, but it’s clear the goal is to have as many people ignore the changes as possible, and increase profits by changing out the legacy plans for new, more expensive ones.

My thoughts

This is absurd. T-Mobile has long differentiated itself as the "uncarrier", as being unlike the other wireless providers by fighting for change to benefit customers. While they are obviously a for profit company, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to not find ways to make more money off their customers, they have specifically promised in the past not to pull stunts like this, with their "uncontract" and similar price lock promises. By allowing users to opt out they are staying true to the letter of these promises, but not the intent. They are clearly hoping for users to not notice this change and start paying more for newer plans with features they don't want/need. And it's already possible for customers to upgrade plans on their own quite easily, so there is no reason to do this other than to deceptively increase customer bills.  

Sources

https://tmo.report/2023/10/breaking-t-mobile-will-force-customers-onto-newer-plans-unless-you-opt-out/

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-is-forcibly-moving-those-on-older-plans-to-some-of-its-newer-ones-in-november/

Edited by Invincible Sugar
Added additional sources

Oh I forgot to mention! They also gave most customers on older Simple Choice plans with like, 2 GB, 6 GB, 10 GB, whatever... unlimited for free a few years ago. So it would make even less sense for those peeps to take this upgrade, pay more for exactly the same thing they already have...

While this does suck, it is worth noting that money is tight right now and some companies are struggling for profits (not saying this is the case with T mobile) but none the less, this does suck.

18 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Oh I forgot to mention! They also gave most customers on older Simple Choice plans with like, 2 GB, 6 GB, 10 GB, whatever... unlimited for free a few years ago. So it would make even less sense for those peeps to take this upgrade, pay more for exactly the same thing they already have...

Never trust your wireless carrier. I keep saying that.

Once they hit unlimited minutes and unlimited data, there is no longer anything to differentiate plans. 20 years ago, you had the choice between 30 minutes and 100 minutes, per month. by the end of 2008, everyone was migrated to 3G and unlimited nights and weekends was standard. As soon as smart phones came out, the carriers saw $$$$ in their eyes on the data overage costs, but customers just opted out, and used the unlimited data they had on their WiFi. Too bad ISP's, shouldn't have been so greedy in the first place. So instead, your average ISP/WISP plan is well over $100, even if you get substandard service.

IDK how thsy can do this basically Darth Vader style "imaltering the deal" kind fo one sided contract change....

21 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

IDK how thsy can do this basically Darth Vader style "imaltering the deal" kind fo one sided contract change....

The reason they can do it is because if you're not locked into a contract, they can sunset your current monthly rate at any point. Likewise, you can stop service at any time without penalty.

If you were in a signed contract, it'll be a different story. The telco would be bound to the rates in the contract. 

I don't see how this is tech news. This is something that happens all the time. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Huh. That's actually worse than Tesltra. Before ADSL came through our area (years asking for it, and it took them under 20 minutes of work to "activate" for our street) we only had unreliable, highly limited and costly wireless internet. Whenever they replaced our plan with one that either cost the same and had more data/or cost less and had more data - we were kept on the original plan and never notified. So, for months we paid shitloads for less than what most people would have received.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wouldn't have an issue paying a little more for a better plan but they charge a Jesus Christ amount for insurance on devices thats the reason I stay with the Family Choice Plan. I think me and my mom's iphones are like $18 each as I have the XR and she has the iPhone 13 mini and my days has the 3rd gen SE at $13 a month. So I play like $50 in insurance and it keeps going up.

I might have to switch carriers because T Mobile was really only worth it due to the price and their network really isnt all that.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, D1am0nd said:

While this does suck, it is worth noting that money is tight right now and some companies are struggling for profits (not saying this is the case with T mobile) but none the less, this does suck.

It's more of an executives taking too much of a share issue rather than not having enough revenue.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, D1am0nd said:

Sure, with inflation they need to work harder to maintain profits for their shareholders. I won't argue with that. Hell, I am a shareholder too.

That being said, they are already doing things to improve ARPU and similar metrics. For example, those who want to keep Simple Choice, One, Magenta, have been allowed to. T-Mobile hasn't made any moves until now to force people onto more expensive plans because of their price lock and un-contract promises. However, they've been adding features, or in some cases removing perks* to make customers want to move to more expensive plans on their own. And this has worked pretty well for them.

So to do this now... it's just a blatant money grab, and goes against the core of the business model they've worked so hard to establish.

*T-Mobile has been pretty good about not taking away features people already had and locking them behind more expensive plans. However, things have gotten pretty dire in terms of phone deals. I'll spare you a long history and simply say Magenta MAX set a trend for the first time where the best deals, like $800 off a $800 iPhone, or $1000 off a $1000 Samsung Flip, etc, would only apply for Magenta MAX lines. Previously, customers on cheap and expensive postpaid plans could still get the best deals if they had the right trade in or added a new line, but now Magenta MAX gets full value, everyone else gets half that value. This has changed a few more times, with Go5G Plus supplanting Magenta MAX, so people upgrading from a cheaper plan to MAX would need to upgrade again, and pay more again, to continue to get the best deals. And last week they pulled this yet again, making the best iPhone 15 Pro deal exclusive to Go5G Next, potentially the 3rd time customers have had to agree to pay $10/mo more for the same phone promos in just a 3 year period. Paying $30/mo more per line to save $33/mo on a phone... doesn't even make sense at this point. 

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Never trust your wireless carrier. I keep saying that.

Once they hit unlimited minutes and unlimited data, there is no longer anything to differentiate plans. 20 years ago, you had the choice between 30 minutes and 100 minutes, per month. by the end of 2008, everyone was migrated to 3G and unlimited nights and weekends was standard. As soon as smart phones came out, the carriers saw $$$$ in their eyes on the data overage costs, but customers just opted out, and used the unlimited data they had on their WiFi. Too bad ISP's, shouldn't have been so greedy in the first place. So instead, your average ISP/WISP plan is well over $100, even if you get substandard service.

Yes, this is so true. They've had some perks to help promote more expensive plans, such as increased hotspot data caps, adding free international data at 128 Kbps, now 256 Kbps, if they managed 600 Kbps that'd be worth another upgrade to me... 256 is barely good enough for basic stuff but 600 would actually allow streaming music and using modern social media apps reasonably well...

They've also added perks like PROXY by DIGITS, a free extra phone number for spam or cheating on your wife, but only on more expensive plans. Can be added for a fee to cheaper plans. They've made taxes and fees inclusive, while also charging more... it's a wash for some, saves money for others, but adds value to make the more expensive plan seem worthwhile.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Generic version of T-Mobile's John Legere as Copyright safe Darth Vader parody

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The reason they can do it is because if you're not locked into a contract, they can sunset your current monthly rate at any point. Likewise, you can stop service at any time without penalty.

If you were in a signed contract, it'll be a different story. The telco would be bound to the rates in the contract. 

I don't see how this is tech news. This is something that happens all the time. 

They don't have service contracts anymore, but the "un-contract" is still a legally binding offer for T-Mobile to pay your final month's bill if you leave because they did something like this, changing your bill without permission. Small penalty to pay really, but it's more than $0.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Huh. That's actually worse than Tesltra. Before ADSL came through our area (years asking for it, and it took them under 20 minutes of work to "activate" for our street) we only had unreliable, highly limited and costly wireless internet. Whenever they replaced our plan with one that either cost the same and had more data/or cost less and had more data - we were kept on the original plan and never notified. So, for months we paid shitloads for less than what most people would have received.

Wow that's horrible! Yikes!

52 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I wouldn't have an issue paying a little more for a better plan but they charge a Jesus Christ amount for insurance on devices thats the reason I stay with the Family Choice Plan. I think me and my mom's iphones are like $18 each as I have the XR and she has the iPhone 13 mini and my days has the 3rd gen SE at $13 a month. So I play like $50 in insurance and it keeps going up.

I might have to switch carriers because T Mobile was really only worth it due to the price and their network really isnt all that.

You my friend might benefit greatly by posting about your specific plan and situation on the T-Mobile subreddit. Those folks might be able to help you optimize your bill and insurance strategy.

26 minutes ago, williamcll said:

It's more of an executives taking too much of a share issue rather than not having enough revenue.

This too. :c

3 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

You my friend might benefit greatly by posting about your specific plan and situation on the T-Mobile subreddit. Those folks might be able to help you optimize your bill and insurance strategy.

First of all Im on the family choice plan. They dont offer it. Its 4 lines for $100 but I only got  3 lines on it currently. Bill is $167 a month with taxes and insurance. There is no "Optimizing" the plan as the plan no longer exists and Asuron keeps raising the insurance costs because they are dick heads like most insurance companies. Gotta have insurance because my dad can be careless with devices and drops happen. Outside buying phones directly from Apple and paying for Apple care monthly thats the only way to save money. As all the other T Mobile plans are more expensive. Thats why Im on a plan that no longer exists.

Secondly I dont use Reddit.

Thirdly, If Im going to to forced to pay more than I might as well look at plans from other companies because T Mobile still have a 3rd rate network.

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Bill is $167 a month with taxes and insurance

Yikes! I am paying $112/mo taxes and fees included on Go5G Plus for 11 lines, with free insurance though my debit card...

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Secondly I dont use Reddit.

RIP

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thirdly, If Im going to to forced to pay more than I might as well look at plans from other companies because T Mobile still have a 3rd rate network.

You're not being forced, but you are being moved by default, so you'll have to call in and ask to not be moved.

1 minute ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Yikes! I am paying $112/mo taxes and fees included on Go5G Plus for 11 lines, with free insurance though my debit card...

Like I said its nearly $50 for insurance. We all have iPhones and those are not exactly easy to repair or cheap to repair so insurance is a must.

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Like I said its nearly $50 for insurance. We all have iPhones and those are not exactly easy to repair or cheap to repair so insurance is a must.

So you're paying $600/year for insurance, plus $100 or more per repair for a deductible. Do you break phones at least once every 6 months? If so... geez. Have you tried a case? If not, you'd save more by just pocketing the $50/mo and paying full price for repairs when they come up.

4 minutes ago, D1am0nd said:

💀💀💀

susan_argument.png.14c8f39ddac11292cfaae5e23c2a9565.png

It's true though. Insurance and extended warranties are mostly scams... maybe scam is too strong. They are the wrong financial choice for most people, most of the time. On homes, cars, etc. they make sense and might even be legally required, but for phones, tablets, etc. generally not.

22 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

So you're paying $600/year for insurance, plus $100 or more per repair for a deductible. Do you break phones at least once every 6 months? If so... geez. Have you tried a case? If not, you'd save more by just pocketing the $50/mo and paying full price for repairs when they come up.

I have yet to break an iphone. Given I've only had two, and the iphone 6S only got replaced because of some os-update that disabled the charging chip. That got replaced with the XS, which I bought an otterbox for and used the otter box until I literately wore through the buttons. A bit disappointed in the durability of the otterbox, but it's certainly cheaper than $600 worth of insurance.  I presently have some plastic thingy on it that isn't as good at thermal dissipation. The way I figure is, that it only needs to last until the next iPhone. Or I could buy the current iphone model, but ugh, that "easy break" of the glass back has me concerned.

This video suggests otherwise

Though it does seem that the video floating around from JerryRigEverything might have been a fluke.

At any rate, I tend to hypermile devices. I basically am the person who buys the phone full price because the wireless ISP price for a phone is basically a scam. Especially in Canada.

It's so bizarre how US of A mobile providers are so expensive and just so scummy. The crap I read about them and seeing what kind of services they provide, just HOW?! Here in Europe, the main plans with providers are so much cheaper. Like, one of largest providers in my country, their highest plan is 27€. It has unlimited calls and SMS, full speed up to 500GB and beyond that 2/1 Mbits. For roaming across entire EU, you get 25GB.

Now here's the thing, we also have low cost providers (basically they run on the same big networks, but they don't have offices and resellers) and one I'm using has unlimited calls and SMS and 90GB of bandwidth for 10€. I can pay 1€ extra to get 5G support at 1000/100 speeds. And another cool thing about this low cost provider is that their plans are infinite. They'll never boot you off one for as long as you don't change it to something else and you can change the plan every month if you wantm once per month. They remove a certain plan, but you've already activated it? You can stick with it forever if you want. There was just 1 time they did "force" users off one plan, but what they did was essentially rename and upgrade it for the same price so I'm sure no one was annoyed by that. The price remained the same, they gave it a new name and increased the monthly bandwidth significantly.

This shouldn't be an opt out, because this is scummy. They'll essentially make everyone pay more unless you nope out yourself specifically. How many people won't even really notice or how many will just remain on that because they forget or literally any other reason. Not cool.

7 hours ago, Invincible Sugar said:

If not, you'd save more by just pocketing the $50/mo and paying full price for repairs when they come up.

My parents are on the plan. They are not going to want to shell out what Apple wants for repairs. My dad can be careless with his device. The agreement is I pay for the cellular bill which will include the insurance, they have to pay any deductibles for repairs.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

How many people won't even really notice or how many will just remain on that because they forget or literally any other reason. Not cool.

I mean Id say a vast majority of people are probably on the newer plans. But they want people like me who refuse to upgrade to a new plan on a new plan. They try to dangle the fact they include Netflix, at least thats what the rep did the last time I went to the store. But I rather save the money and only sub to Netflix when I want to sub to Netflix.

12 hours ago, Invincible Sugar said:

It's true though. Insurance and extended warranties are mostly scams

they are...  i pay 20 for my plan/month with "unlimited" data..... why the hell would i pay for "insurance" almost the same amount.... it doesn't even make sense mathematically... i could just buy a new phone for all that "insurance" money! 🙃

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 hours ago, Kisai said:

I have yet to break an iphone. Given I've only had two, and the iphone 6S only got replaced because of some os-update that disabled the charging chip. That got replaced with the XS, which I bought an otterbox for and used the otter box until I literately wore through the buttons. A bit disappointed in the durability of the otterbox, but it's certainly cheaper than $600 worth of insurance.  I presently have some plastic thingy on it that isn't as good at thermal dissipation. The way I figure is, that it only needs to last until the next iPhone. Or I could buy the current iphone model, but ugh, that "easy break" of the glass back has me concerned.

Though it does seem that the video floating around from JerryRigEverything might have been a fluke.

At any rate, I tend to hypermile devices. I basically am the person who buys the phone full price because the wireless ISP price for a phone is basically a scam. Especially in Canada.

We'll see long term how things go, so far I am very happy with my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I haven't broken an iPhone yet... hope I never will. I have broken a few Android phones, but that's because I own so many more than iPhone...

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's so bizarre how US of A mobile providers are so expensive and just so scummy. The crap I read about them and seeing what kind of services they provide, just HOW?! Here in Europe, the main plans with providers are so much cheaper. Like, one of largest providers in my country, their highest plan is 27€. It has unlimited calls and SMS, full speed up to 500GB and beyond that 2/1 Mbits. For roaming across entire EU, you get 25GB.

Now here's the thing, we also have low cost providers (basically they run on the same big networks, but they don't have offices and resellers) and one I'm using has unlimited calls and SMS and 90GB of bandwidth for 10€. I can pay 1€ extra to get 5G support at 1000/100 speeds. And another cool thing about this low cost provider is that their plans are infinite. They'll never boot you off one for as long as you don't change it to something else and you can change the plan every month if you wantm once per month. They remove a certain plan, but you've already activated it? You can stick with it forever if you want. There was just 1 time they did "force" users off one plan, but what they did was essentially rename and upgrade it for the same price so I'm sure no one was annoyed by that. The price remained the same, they gave it a new name and increased the monthly bandwidth significantly.

This shouldn't be an opt out, because this is scummy. They'll essentially make everyone pay more unless you nope out yourself specifically. How many people won't even really notice or how many will just remain on that because they forget or literally any other reason. Not cool.

Things here can be very expensive. They don't have to be though. Personally, I have 11 lines with a big family and friends, $112/mo for all of it, unlimited everything. Not even 1 TB of data per month, it's unlimited. And that $112/mo includes 4 free iPhone 14's, 4 S23 Ultras which were $200 each, 4 free S23's, 4 free S22's, 4 free iPhone SE 3's... and 46 more phones which were free or very very cheap over 2 year contracts.

My case is crazy, I max out every deal I can. But more reasonably someone right now can sign up for Go5G Plus as a new customer, 4 lines would cost $185/mo with pricing as of posting this comment. Each of those lines can get a free iPhone 15 Pro over a 2 year contract, $41.66/mo in value. Or $166.65/mo worth of phones alone if they financed through Apple. But for $18.36 more per month they get those phones plus unlimited calls, texts and data, plus an included $15.49/mo Netflix standard plan, $6.99/mo Apple TV plan... and these are not trials. For a family of 4 using all these things it makes sense.

The plan would also include 15 GB to use in Canada/Mexico per line, 5 GB in +200 other locations (basically most countries). In flight wifi and some other perks. Does your plan include a discounted or free phone?

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

My parents are on the plan. They are not going to want to shell out what Apple wants for repairs. My dad can be careless with his device. The agreement is I pay for the cellular bill which will include the insurance, they have to pay any deductibles for repairs.

I understand, but even so you would save more money if you did not pay for the insurance and instead saved $50/mo in a piggy bank. Even with your parents paying the deductible.

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

they are...  i pay 20 for my plan/month with "unlimited" data..... why the hell would i pay for "insurance" almost the same amount.... it doesn't even make sense mathematically... i could just buy a new phone for all that "insurance" money! 🙃

It's for very clumsy people, and people who can't math.

Just now, Invincible Sugar said:

understand, but even so you would save more money if you did not pay for the insurance and instead saved $50/mo in a piggy bank. Even with your parents paying the deductible.

The issue is I dont pay rent. So I take up some of the bills. They want insurance. Now I can cut insurance on my device because if it breaks I do plan on upgrading. But the cost to repair an iPhone is too much for them. So they rather have insurance. Unfortunately my dad does stupid shit, so there is a real possibility that his phone could break at any point in time. Even with a case he can manage. New screen protector went on a few months back and he's already cracked it. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

The issue is I dont pay rent. So I take up some of the bills. They want insurance. Now I can cut insurance on my device because if it breaks I do plan on upgrading. But the cost to repair an iPhone is too much for them. So they rather have insurance. Unfortunately my dad does stupid shit, so there is a real possibility that his phone could break at any point in time. Even with a case he can manage. New screen protector went on a few months back and he's already cracked it. 

I see, internal family politics. Well in that case it just is what it is...

23 hours ago, Kisai said:

man that video has so few views, so I assume it was CR readers who watched it... but the comment section was... holy fuck

😞