I have made a very expensive mistake

JordB

Toyota's GR Corolla Core is a ton of fun, but is it worth the extra costs and wait time?

Not gonna watch the video. I already know the answer, yes.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Why don't EVs have more gear? Lots of wasted torque st higher speeds. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I guess they don’t call it the “Bank of Toyota” for nothing. They milk you dry and give you the run around just like an actual bank.

Yea you spec out your car and expect delivery in 2-3 years. That time passes but wait, they didn’t promise you that they won’t just flip the car to someone else when it arrives because ordering doesn’t mean signing a purchase agreement. So either pony up and pay those dealer extras or you’re not getting that car you waited years for delivery.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Why don't EVs have more gear? Lots of wasted torque st higher speeds. 

tl;dr, a significantly wider RPM range in which torque is available throughout a much larger area of it. 

EV's with two or more gears do exist, however, just far less common. 

Can you guys stop reviewing cars.... the majority of people are driving cars over 12 years old so every time I see them reviewing a car that most people can't afford , and aren't going to actually be driving for another decade , it really just reminds me of how out of touch they are with the reality of what people actually drive.

Unlike tech , cars take forever to actually trickle down to lower price brackets so the review is basically useless for most people until the car has become so old that all of it's original features have little to do with why a person would end up buying it a decade later.

honestly i had more respect for linus when he drove the beater honda.

Linus should make a car channel... How much would cost to LMG buy Donut Media from Recurrent? 👀

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Can you guys stop reviewing cars.... the majority of people are driving cars over 12 years old so every time I see them reviewing a car that most people can't afford , and aren't going to actually be driving for another decade , it really just reminds me of how out of touch they are with the reality of what people actually drive.

Unlike tech , cars take forever to actually trickle down to lower price brackets so the review is basically useless for most people until the car has become so old that all of it's original features have little to do with why a person would end up buying it a decade later.

To be fair, the GR Corolla is not cheap, but it's one of the last of a dying breed: A simple, practical and relatively "affordable" enthusiast's car (at least compared to the cars in the same price bracket), so I think it really has a reason to be there as a contrast to the hyper-advanced taycan, sometimes lighter and "slow" (the GR corolla isn't slow) is better and more fun.

1 hour ago, BaidDSB said:

yeah its pretty unethical for people who can afford a GOOD EV to instead buy a ICE car.

Event he fact you made this video is disgusting. Please dont talk about Climate change problems again.

The Corolla is a type of vehicle that just doesn't have an EV equivalent, it just doesn't exist. Just like the Mazda MX-5

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Millions of cars are sold in the US alone each year. And I mean cars, not trucks. This video is relevant to certain people, that group of people may not be you or people you know. That doesn't mean they should stop. You also don't need to want to buy a car to watch a review of one. I watched Linus's reviews of the M2 mac pro. Can I afford it? No. Can most people afford or can justify buying it? Also most likely no. That doesn't mean that the review shouldn't be made. For you or anyone to buy a 10 year old car, someone else needed to buy that car 10 years ago for that transaction to happen, it matters to those people what the car is like, otherwise they would have never bought it.

2 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

yeah its pretty unethical for people who can afford a GOOD EV to instead buy a ICE car.

Event he fact you made this video is disgusting. Please dont talk about Climate change problems again.

It's not unethical to buy and use a ICE car.  It's not disgusting to make videos about gas burning cars either.

All the videos of consumer products that are transported by cargo planes or cargo ships that burn bunker fuel aren't unethical either.

Energy is dirty, solar panels have mined minerals, wind is CARBON fibre and copper intensive, nuclear is risky, hydro destroys habitats, batteries come from strip mining which often involves slaves.

If you don't like car reviews, go watch something else, or go ride a bike!  But other people still like cars, especially ones with engines that sound good and have a manual transmission so the driver can experience being in charge of the machine, instead of a user of a electric transportation appliance (that has it's place, but not always). 

Don't feel the need to ruin others peoples passion for your activist cause.

2 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

Is this bait? This has to be bait, right? 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

some people don't realize that no small high horse power EVs exist.  all the current ones are big and heavy.  A small, GR corolla sized EV with the same power/torque and a decent battery range, and a similar price to the current base model corolla would be the hottest car on the planet.  the issue is that there is no margins in them, they have to "luxury" them up to sell them at a higher price, otherwise they aren't making any money.  Its why Nissan cant make enough Leafs' and GM can't make enough Bolt EUV's, because they are actually affordable EVs, even though not fun, they aren't huge and heavy.  not everyone wants a huge SUV or massive car.  I just want a small 4 door sedan or hatchback that has 100 miles of range so it can be driven locally and charged at home, and is reasonably priced at like 25000 starting.  

That said, on his little rant at the end about actually getting one of these GR corolla's, or any toyota really, this falls squarely on toyota refusing to do anything about its dealers being scummy.  Toyota corporate, TMSUSA has no incentive to stop the dealers, because they are literally constraining supply by slowing production, and selling literally everything that rolls off the assembly line.  NO back stock, no sitting inventory, and profits on their assembly right now.  why would they stop what they are doing?  scummy dealer practices or not, every single one of their cars is selling.  

I have a theory as to why as well:  they make something that is a good balance between a BEV and an ICE only car, their hybrid lineup is great.  They have a great mileage capable vehicle in every size.  No other MFG offers a complete size range of vehicles anymore.  

11 minutes ago, Chubbysumo said:

some people don't realize that no small high horse power EVs exist.  all the current ones are big and heavy.  A small, GR corolla sized EV with the same power/torque and a decent battery range, and a similar price to the current base model corolla would be the hottest car on the planet.  the issue is that there is no margins in them, they have to "luxury" them up to sell them at a higher price, otherwise they aren't making any money.  Its why Nissan cant make enough Leafs' and GM can't make enough Bolt EUV's, because they are actually affordable EVs, even though not fun, they aren't huge and heavy.  not everyone wants a huge SUV or massive car.  I just want a small 4 door sedan or hatchback that has 100 miles of range so it can be driven locally and charged at home, and is reasonably priced at like 25000 starting.  

That said, on his little rant at the end about actually getting one of these GR corolla's, or any toyota really, this falls squarely on toyota refusing to do anything about its dealers being scummy.  Toyota corporate, TMSUSA has no incentive to stop the dealers, because they are literally constraining supply by slowing production, and selling literally everything that rolls off the assembly line.  NO back stock, no sitting inventory, and profits on their assembly right now.  why would they stop what they are doing?  scummy dealer practices or not, every single one of their cars is selling.  

I have a theory as to why as well:  they make something that is a good balance between a BEV and an ICE only car, their hybrid lineup is great.  They have a great mileage capable vehicle in every size.  No other MFG offers a complete size range of vehicles anymore.  

It's not just the "luxury" angle, it's just impossible (with current tech) to make an electric car like the GR Yaris with similar weight, it just doesn't exist.

39 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Millions of cars are sold in the US alone each year. And I mean cars, not trucks. This video is relevant to certain people, that group of people may not be you or people you know. That doesn't mean they should stop. You also don't need to want to buy a car to watch a review of one. I watched Linus's reviews of the M2 mac pro. Can I afford it? No. Can most people afford or can justify buying it? Also most likely no. That doesn't mean that the review shouldn't be made. For you or anyone to buy a 10 year old car, someone else needed to buy that car 10 years ago for that transaction to happen, it matters to those people what the car is like, otherwise they would have never bought it.

tell me your bank owns a car they let you borrow without telling me your bank owns a car they let you borrow

55 minutes ago, EIREXE said:

To be fair, the GR Corolla is not cheap, but it's one of the last of a dying breed: A simple, practical and relatively "affordable" enthusiast's car (at least compared to the cars in the same price bracket), so I think it really has a reason to be there as a contrast to the hyper-advanced taycan, sometimes lighter and "slow" (the GR corolla isn't slow) is better and more fun.

to me it seems like a purposely limited exclusive designed to make money by selling a corolla for 50k

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

to me it seems like a purposely limited exclusive designed to make money by selling a corolla for 50k

There is a bunch of expensive bits to make a boring corolla FUN.

Some people like driving and feeling sports cars.  If you haven't experienced it, maybe give it a shot sometime.

I will preface this with: I love Toyota, I've been driving a little 5-speed Scion hatchback since buying it new in 2005, and it has been a wonderful car needing very little repairs and I can do them myself.

That said, their dealers recently have had a tendency to be horrible, and the markup they want for anything now is criminal. I've had some of the worst dealer experiences post-sales at Toyota dealers, wild attempts at upselling service to downright lying about things a car needs. Toyota also doesn't really make their bread-and-butter anymore; Simple and economical cars at a good price point. The Yaris is gone, and the Corolla starts at $24k USD now?? Nissan will sell you a base Versa for $15k, what the heck is going-on at Toyota USA headquarters?

The video was cool and the GR Corolla is definitely a neat vehicle, but dang there's a whole list of other sporty/fast things for $40K USD after the markup; That's almost twin-turbo Nissan Z money, or GT Mustang money, and you probably don't need to wait two years to take delivery of those.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

AFAIK the GR Corolla is a derivative of the GR Yaris, the GR Yaris was made because their rally car at the time had to share a roof height with the production car it was based on. So they made a "homologation special" to be able to have a lower roof to improve the aerodynamics of the rally car, it ended up not being used due to them not making a new rally car due to COVID, and the new regulations are no longer production-based, but the Yaris was a fan-favourite so enthusiasts clamored them to make a corolla version since there are places where the yaris either isn't sold or is too small to be practical. There was really no reason for the homologation special yaris to be different, but the CEO of toyota at the time was a huge motorsports nerd so they decided to make it AWD and give it a lot of power, they ended up creating a monster.

Do note, that if the GR Corolla is the same as the Yaris (I have no idea) then the car isn't related to the other Yarises and Corollas, it's a completely different car and engine made to look like a Corolla/Yaris.

So I personally think that the reason why it's priced so high is because it's an entirely different car with no relation to their homonymous cousins, the dealer price hikes are unacceptable but it is the unfortunate reality.

4 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

There is a bunch of expensive bits to make a boring corolla FUN.

Some people like driving and feeling sports cars.  If you haven't experienced it, maybe give it a shot sometime.

Haven't looked into it, but if it's the same case as the yaris then it's not just a corolla with expensive bits, it's a completely different chassis underneath too.

16 minutes ago, EIREXE said:

Haven't looked into it, but if it's the same case as the yaris then it's not just a corolla with expensive bits, it's a completely different chassis underneath too.

a different chassis is just a big expensive bit.