I have made a very expensive mistake

JordB
1 minute ago, emosun said:

tell me your bank owns a car they let you borrow without telling me your bank owns a car they let you borrow

I don't and wouldn't lease or finance a car. Cars don't hold their value nearly as well in the UK as they do in the US and I have nothing against buying a used car. I just don't think your argument against making these reviews are good. There's people out there who are buying new cars, people who others, as you say, will be relying on to sell their cars on 10 years down the line. Unless this is some kind of bait I'm unaware of.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I just don't think your argument against making these reviews are good.

yeah well i don't think your argument is good either so that's 50/50

51 minutes ago, emosun said:

to me it seems like a purposely limited exclusive designed to make money by selling a corolla for 50k

You're not a car enthusiast and that's fine. 

4 hours ago, emosun said:

Can you guys stop reviewing cars.... the majority of people are driving cars over 12 years old so every time I see them reviewing a car that most people can't afford , and aren't going to actually be driving for another decade , it really just reminds me of how out of touch they are with the reality of what people actually drive.

Unlike tech , cars take forever to actually trickle down to lower price brackets so the review is basically useless for most people until the car has become so old that all of it's original features have little to do with why a person would end up buying it a decade later.

honestly i had more respect for linus when he drove the beater honda.

Lol i couldn't stop laughing. Asking a YouTuber to stop reviewing because you personally couldn't afford it. And calling them out of touch 🤦 you salty bro?

It's like asking LTT not to review computer parts because the majority of the population on Earth cannot afford a high end computer.

I live in a city and I'll most likely never buy a car but it's good to learn about cars and see what's out there.

GR Corolla is fun and all but the GR Yaris is what is really special sadly us fat Americans are too big for them to sell us it. 

59 minutes ago, crazzp said:

you salty bro?

not a bro

59 minutes ago, crazzp said:

because you personally couldn't afford it.

said most people which is accurate , didn't say me personally

"track mode" should be illegal on public roads. Frankly, any car labeled as a "sports" car should be illegal on public roads. There are bicyclists on the road and pedestrians next to the road. These cars are deadly.

37 minutes ago, poochyena said:

"track mode" should be illegal on public roads. Frankly, any car labeled as a "sports" car should be illegal on public roads. There are bicyclists on the road and pedestrians next to the road. These cars are deadly.

Last time I checked there are laws against going to fast and driving in a dangerous manner.

I got hit riding my bike by some old people in a boring hybrid, the physics of transportation has risk that is unavoidable, but we can plan transportation networks that are better and have better urban planning along with better education and licensing for drivers.

Banning all the fun things is silly and rarely works.    

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

Last time I checked there are laws against going to fast and driving in a dangerous manner.

yea? and? That hasn't stopped people from killing others with their cars.

I got hit riding my bike by some old people in a boring hybrid

and yet, you are here with us today. Literally proving my point.

the physics of transportation has risk that is unavoidable

Its avoidable; by banning these dangerous vehicles.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

by banning these dangerous vehicles.

not arguing just asking; are you saying to ban all vehicles or just "dangerous" vehicles such as SUVs and sports cars on the road?

never overclock your underwear

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

People will die, no matter what you do, people are going to die. Stupid people will do stupid things and end up killing people. Whether thats Driving a car, riding a horse, any type of vehicle going a decent speed can cause injury and death. A dog can kill people, a cat can kill you. This type of argument doesnt work outside of fantasy land where everyone follows the laws and rules, reality people dont follow the rules.

If you dont want people to buy massive trucks because they arent safe because the risk of when they hit people, its illegal to hit people like that. There are rules against reckless driving, driving under the influence, amongst all the various laws, and yet it still happens. Anyone over 65 should have to be road tested every 3 years to make sure they are capable of driving due to how many accidents are caused by elderly people, but guess who makes the laws and will never let that happen. 

If everything were perfectly efficient, yes trains would be the best form of transport everywhere, and when its not then a Small vehicle would be fine. Trucks for people who need to have a lot of equipment etc still are needed, so banning them means how will people that actually use these vehciles do it? Guess you dont want your roads plowed when it snows, guess you dont want all the other activities people using these vehicles do.

Life is complex, banning one type of vehicle like that really doesnt solve the main issue. If the drivers were being safe and driving carefully, generally accidents can be mostly avoided, but they are just that, accidents. We are human after all, we didnt evolve traits to drive cars, we were meant to run and walk everywhere, but cars are certainly more convenient. 

1 hour ago, treestain said:

not arguing just asking; are you saying to ban all vehicles or just "dangerous" vehicles such as SUVs and sports cars on the road?

Dangerous vehicles, ones that encourage dangerous driving (Any "sports/racing mode" equivilant features) or have dangerous designs (some SUVs and trucks with huge hoods).

55 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

People will die, no matter what you do, people are going to die.

The goal is to reduce deaths.

56 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Whether thats Driving a car, riding a horse, any type of vehicle going a decent speed can cause injury and death

How many cyclists kill people vs how many cars kill people?

56 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

A dog can kill people, a cat can kill you.

Dogs kill a lot more people than cats (and even more than rabbits, hamsters, and other household pets.) Dogs are terrible pets, especially large and aggressive breeds.

59 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

There are rules against reckless driving, driving under the influence, amongst all the various laws, and yet it still happens.

Yes, because we allow it to happen. I want to prevent it from happening, not simply punish people who do those things.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Trucks for people who need to have a lot of equipment etc still are needed, so banning them means how will people that actually use these vehciles do it?

Nothing wrong with small trucks. Its the oversized trucks that are the problem

image.thumb.png.bf1a5cabbfc0e311b29fa9da2a59bac4.png

You literally can't even see children in front of you in these oversized vehicles. Every time I see these oversized vehicles, I worry about my 8-year old step daughter getting ran over by one of these vehicles in a parking lot because they literally don't see her. There is zero excuse for the existence of these vehicles.

(4:25)

So how long until we get to see this car plow into others while going 90+mph, killing multiple people? Tell me again why we need these sporty cars with high speeds and sports modes on our public roads? I'm sure Linus will take no responsibility of course, for promoting these killer cars.

<Removed by staff>

9 hours ago, emosun said:

Can you guys stop reviewing cars.... the majority of people are driving cars over 12 years old so every time I see them reviewing a car that most people can't afford , and aren't going to actually be driving for another decade , it really just reminds me of how out of touch they are with the reality of what people actually drive.

Unlike tech , cars take forever to actually trickle down to lower price brackets so the review is basically useless for most people until the car has become so old that all of it's original features have little to do with why a person would end up buying it a decade later.

No because PCs will be as expensive as cars in a few years.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

35 minutes ago, poochyena said:

There is zero excuse for the existence of these vehicles.

Vox made a very good story about why they exist and how they started.

"The dilemma is people buy big cars for safety from people driving big cars. it's a vicious cycle."

Again not arguing, just, adding to the conversation. it's interesting!

10 minutes ago, treestain said:

Vox made a very good story about why they exist and how they started.

"The dilemma is people buy big cars for safety from people driving big cars. it's a vicious cycle."

Again not arguing, just, adding to the conversation. it's interesting!

I like the notjustbikes video. His videos do well to summaries the dislike I've had for cars and driving from the past 10+ years.

11 hours ago, williamcll said:

Why don't EVs have more gear? Lots of wasted torque st higher speeds. 

Originally cheap/affordable gearboxes just got destroyed by electric motors, just couldn't handle the torque and how it gets applied over long time. Originally that was tried and got removed because of it. Also unless you need really high top speed gearing in EVs simply isn't necessary.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

You do know that a 700hp Mustang is just as dangerous as a Eco-boost Mustang hitting a pedestrian at 50kmph right? You know both can go over 150kmph? A Honda Odyssey can also easily do 150kmph.

Vehicle safety laws include pedestrian safety and it's part of crash testing, vehicles with sports modes aren't any more dangerous than those without. Anyone can drive like an idiot in a Ford Ka and kill people, collide with vehicles or objects including people.

I own a Nissan 370GT Type S, know what I have never done? Turned off ESC or TC, ever. I also own a Nissan Leaf, which accelerates pretty damn fast btw. Also just so you know the Leaf as a vehicle is less safe than my 370GT, it has worse mechanical stability and traction as well as less effective stability controls. I am more likely to get in to an accident in my Leaf than I am in my 370GT. In fact I had a collision with a sheep in a 100kmph zone at night because it got on to the road and I had to make the choice to hit it rather than avoid it because I couldn't trust the vehicle to react properly if I were to try to avoid it and the stopping distance of a Leaf is also rather bad so I ended up hitting quite damn fast, $4700 worth of damage. People die all the time doing what I decided was not safe.

11 hours ago, emosun said:

This is a pretty bad take. Obviously people are buying new cars and do so regularly or else there wouldn't be any used cars to buy 10 years later. In the video they talk about the long wait times on buying new Toyota's. These reviews will also stay up on Youtube so whether somebody is buying it today or in 10 years time they can still watch the review to find out more about the car before buying it. Some people also just have a general interest in cars and may be interested in watching car reviews even if they aren't intending to purchase the car, just like how I'd watch an RTX 4090 review even though I don't plan on buying it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

just like how I'd watch an RTX 4090 review even though I don't plan on buying it.

It helps to know where the company is going and if something like a 4090 is something I'd suggest to a friend if they ever asked about it whether it be now or a few years later when the card gets cheaper.

And yeah I agree, the same would have to go for cars.

12 hours ago, emosun said:

This heavily depends on where you're at, in some countries company cars through leasing companies are very common. For example, some of the videos were actually relevant for me when I had to select a new car... 

13 hours ago, emosun said:

to me it seems like a purposely limited exclusive designed to make money by selling a corolla for 50k

Toyota's not doing the GR any favors by selling it as a "Corolla", but at least it's trying to be a hot hatch.

The Corolla Apex is the cynical appearance package cash-in. That's just a regular Corolla with a manual and a body kit, and stiffer suspension.

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

Nothing wrong with small trucks. Its the oversized trucks that are the problem

image.thumb.png.bf1a5cabbfc0e311b29fa9da2a59bac4.png

You literally can't even see children in front of you in these oversized vehicles. Every time I see these oversized vehicles, I worry about my 8-year old step daughter getting ran over by one of these vehicles in a parking lot because they literally don't see her. There is zero excuse for the existence of these vehicles.

I'm about 6' tall, and the bed sides on modern full-size trucks are about my shoulder height. How is that supposed to be useful? 

Trucks peaked in the 90s, and they've been trapped in a size and aggression arms race ever since. I wouldn't say no to a single cab long bed GMT400 Silverado if I had a place to park one.

Unfortunately, discourse around trucks is nearly impossible because as soon as you say anything negative about these vehicular codpieces you're dismissed as a freedom-hating busybody, usually with a Wojack cartoon.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.