I have made a very expensive mistake

JordB
7 hours ago, poochyena said:

"track mode" should be illegal on public roads. Frankly, any car labeled as a "sports" car should be illegal on public roads. There are bicyclists on the road and pedestrians next to the road. These cars are deadly.

Track mode does not make the car more polluting or more dangerous, so why should it not be allowed on public roads?

car but not electric, really fun car. cadillac CT5-V BLACKWING 😈

10 minutes ago, EIREXE said:

Track mode does not make the car more polluting or more dangerous, so why should it not be allowed on public roads?

It might encourage people to be reckless, but so many other things do as well. Even dash cams can subliminally encourage people to be aggressively self-righteous jerks; just look at all the clips where someone does something stupid (like cross three lanes) but the camera car doesn't take any defensive measures and lets the collision happen. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

45 minutes ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

This heavily depends on where you're at, in some countries company cars through leasing companies are very common. For example, some of the videos were actually relevant for me when I had to select a new car... 

Well most people missed the point on that, in North America its very common to have to take out a lengthy loan with high interest rate to be able to buy a new vehicle, cars are just significantly overpriced with very few options for a basic car that isn't loaded with things that most people don't need like an infotainment screen or a sunroof.

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

Nothing wrong with small trucks. Its the oversized trucks that are the problem

image.thumb.png.bf1a5cabbfc0e311b29fa9da2a59bac4.png

You literally can't even see children in front of you in these oversized vehicles. Every time I see these oversized vehicles, I worry about my 8-year old step daughter getting ran over by one of these vehicles in a parking lot because they literally don't see her. There is zero excuse for the existence of these vehicles.

I think small trucks and SUV's should be an option, i've seen arguments that it wouldn't be possible for safety reasons but it seems like BS if companies can still sell compact cars.

However all trucks and SUV's also have to include blind spot warning sensors and backup cameras so the driver is still responsible for not getting into an accident.

9 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

GR Corolla is fun and all but the GR Yaris is what is really special sadly us fat Americans are too big for them to sell us it. 

On the flip side, this GR corolla isn't coming here in Europe! Not fat enough 😞

Jam on through to the other side

9 hours ago, poochyena said:

"track mode" should be illegal on public roads. Frankly, any car labeled as a "sports" car should be illegal on public roads. There are bicyclists on the road and pedestrians next to the road. These cars are deadly.

Such a bad take. I see way more young provisional drivers in old beaters driving recklessness then I do people in fancy sports cars with track mode's. The problem isn't with the cars its with the idiots driving them. By your logic Cyclists and E Scooter should be illegal as I've had countless near misses with them when I'm on public paths. Even if we wrapped the world in bubble wrap someone would find a way to be stupid and hurt someone else.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

It might encourage people to be reckless, but so many other things do as well. Even dash cams can subliminally encourage people to be aggressively self-righteous jerks; just look at all the clips where someone does something stupid (like cross three lanes) but the camera car doesn't take any defensive measures and lets the collision happen. 

IMHO the 50:50 split makes the car slower in anything that isn't a wide track, so track mode might actually be genuinely slower on public roads.

10 hours ago, poochyena said:

You must be trolling, otherwise all I can say is you're uneducated. Sports car, or any car in that matter, is not a danger to society. It's the drivers that are. As for track mode, it's just a mode with different ECU configuration, which is tuned specifically for race track use.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

You do know that a 700hp Mustang is just as dangerous as a Eco-boost Mustang hitting a pedestrian at 50kmph right? You know both can go over 150kmph? A Honda Odyssey can also easily do 150kmph.

Vehicle safety laws include pedestrian safety and it's part of crash testing, vehicles with sports modes aren't any more dangerous than those without. Anyone can drive like an idiot in a Ford Ka and kill people, collide with vehicles or objects including people.

I own a Nissan 370GT Type S, know what I have never done? Turned off ESC or TC, ever. I also own a Nissan Leaf, which accelerates pretty damn fast btw. Also just so you know the Leaf as a vehicle is less safe than my 370GT, it has worse mechanical stability and traction as well as less effective stability controls. I am more likely to get in to an accident in my Leaf than I am in my 370GT. In fact I had a collision with a sheep in a 100kmph zone at night because it got on to the road and I had to make the choice to hit it rather than avoid it because I couldn't trust the vehicle to react properly if I were to try to avoid it and the stopping distance of a Leaf is also rather bad so I ended up hitting quite damn fast, $4700 worth of damage. People die all the time doing what I decided was not safe.

Completely agree, I live in a rather rural area, and turning off ESC/TC is for when there's an empty field, you got some traffic cones, and you just want to have fun with a bunch of friends.

What folks also frequently forget is that these expensive unattainable cars are often used as testbed for newer driving assistance systems, and the high-end racing cars are often the source of some of the more interesting inventions. High end cars from the likes of BMW/Mercedes/... were the first to really implement lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, obstacle avoidance, automatic braking, reverse driving/parking cameras, etc. And most of the electronic stability/traction/... systems have an obvious root in 80s racing cars, a lot of engine efficiency advancements as well for that matter, electronic engine control was also a biggy that started showing up around this time, etc. What I'm basically saying is simple: bring back Group B rally! For fun, profit, and the safety of everyone who's not a spectator or driver.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well most people missed the point on that, in North America its very common to have to take out a lengthy loan with high interest rate to be able to buy a new vehicle, cars are just significantly overpriced with very few options for a basic car that isn't loaded with things that most people don't need like an infotainment screen or a sunroof.

Yeah, but a lot of the cars being run in the US would also not be financially viable in most countries. That fuel consumption alone gives my wallet the shivers, if you ran a 10+ year old US car in Europe, you'd be paying more in fuel than the car is worth each year. A large part of why the cars here on average are newer is mandatory improvements in emissions, fuel consumption, and safety systems.

16 minutes ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Yeah, but a lot of the cars being run in the US would also not be financially viable in most countries.

New vehicles here are brought on finance or through mortgage extension. People typically don't have lots of money laying around ready to use, it's usually tied up in their most expensive asset they will ever purchase in their live time, a house. And if you can't afford a house then you are stuck in rental hell and not able to save a lot of money either or you wouldn't be stuck in rental hell and be using that as a deposit on a house purchase.

The collapse of the 50's-70's "middle class" isn't isolated to the US, it's basically a global thing.

Most new vehicles here are purchased for vehicle rental companies or business fleet vehicles, used for 5-8 years then sold in to the used market often back through vehicle manufacturer like Toyota Signature Class or Toyota Certified Used. Consumers here do buy new however used and imported vehicles is by far the staple of vehicle purchases here. Why would I buy new when I got my 370GT with 25k km on the ODO for $30k NZD (~18k USD).

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

yea? and? That hasn't stopped people from killing others with their cars.

and yet, you are here with us today. Literally proving my point.

Its avoidable; by banning these dangerous vehicles.

We have laws to prevent people getting unnecessarily harmed by cars used in a dangerous manner.  But it hasn't stopped people from killing others with cars. 

We have laws to stop people from stabbing others with forks.  But those laws are ignored by crazy people, and yet I don't see you demanding we ban assault forks!

Sometimes buildings collapse, and people die.  Should we ban buildings, and all live in fields and under trees? 

Yeah, I got hit by a car and still have a painful shoulder.  But I still understand that cars are required and don't say, "Ban all the cars".  I could have been hit by a train or a bus, should we discuss banning public transit?  If I hit someone and hurt them with my bike, would they be justified in banning bikes?

People getting hurt is not unavoidable.  It will always happen.  Ban all the trains, buses, trucks, cars and bikes, and people will still trip and fall walking.

We agree vehicles can be dangerous, but banning them is a solution only fools and silly people fooled by a eco-cult would consider reasonable.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

You do know that a 700hp Mustang is just as dangerous as a Eco-boost Mustang hitting a pedestrian at 50kmph right? You know both can go over 150kmph? A Honda Odyssey can also easily do 150kmph.

I don't think these people understand physics.

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

I like the notjustbikes video. His videos do well to summaries the dislike I've had for cars and driving from the past 10+ years.

Do you drive?  What kind of car do you drive?

7 hours ago, poochyena said:

So how long until we get to see this car plow into others while going 90+mph, killing multiple people? Tell me again why we need these sporty cars with high speeds and sports modes on our public roads? I'm sure Linus will take no responsibility of course, for promoting these killer cars.

How long until one of these trains kills many people? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Ohio_train_derailment

Therefore, lets ban all the trains.  Not just trains carrying hazardous goods, but also passenger trains because a train could hit a bus and kill all the kids.  So BAN ALL TRAINS.  Who cares what that does to the economy or people needing things like food?  BAN AWAY FOR SAFETY!!!

Why do people need sports cars?  FOR FUN!  And why do they want them so bad right now?  Because silly people are trying to ban everything that is fun. 

Ban all the fun stuff, because it hurts marginalized groups, because fun stuff hurts the planet, because fun stuff isn't fair because not everyone can do it.  F THAT. 

MORE FUN STUFF!  FUN STUFF FOR ALL! 

I loathe these modern day anti fun police.  Pathetic people.

This video made me feel very nostalgic. I lived in the Steelhead area for most of my early childhood. Many fond memories were fostered along that road, what with all the comings and goings to Mission & Maple Ridge. @LinusTech if you're the kid who's intricate sand castle I messed up at the Hayward Lake rec area back in the summer of '95 or '96, my bad. Thomas the Tank Engine managed to be a bad influence on me. 😞

The big question I need to ask, why are you guys still not properly disclosing dealings with companies.  This thing felt like a giant ad, personally, and not a single reference to who provided you with the vehicle and who provided you with some of those talking points.  It's like the whole Mirai stuff, where LMG failed to disclose their dealings with Toyota.  (It took how many times asking in the forum before it came out that Toyota had helped cover some of the costs for the hydrogen video)

It doesn't matter if they don't have final says in a video, if Toyota is providing anything it should be disclosed when the highlight of the video is about Toyota.  I've actually noticed that about a lot of the videos, there isn't any disclosure guides of who provides the products.

While strictly not in the laws of Canada, at least in the EU I think it would be violations.

So I want to ask, what dealings did Toyota have in this vehicle.  I'm assuming you guys didn't rent the vehicle, instead likely got it from a dealership or Toyota directly to test.  If you are taking money, services, or products then there should be at least some disclosure somewhere of what was provided.

On a similar note, the Android Auto comment in the video...as someone who had been told by the sales rep. and saw the marketing of Android auto on the Sienna's; can you see my frustration to learn that the model I had bought on delivery didn't have Android Auto (2020)...the "last" year they didn't have it, and they aren't going to do any upgrades to include it...they had "mistaken" that they were talking about the 2021 model.

So Android Auto really only exists in some Toyota vehicles since the 2021 model, and I believe it had to be plugged in on that model as well...although later changed to wireless.  Speak as you may about the Tesla one for not having it, overall there really isn't much of a need for it (at least what I've found).  They still essentially use Google maps, you can just create a hotspot if you want things like music without paying.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Vehicle safety laws include pedestrian safety and it's part of crash testing, vehicles with sports modes aren't any more dangerous than those without. Anyone can drive like an idiot in a Ford Ka and kill people, collide with vehicles or objects including people.

Not to mention that EV's tend to actually have more acceleration than even those ICE with "track mode".

It's actually a mixed bag really, I do think track mode should be made illegal to drive on public streets with (which I think in some places it already is)...mainly because it sets a bad precedent of people gunning it off the line trying to "race" the person next to them.

Heavy acceleration can also lead to dangerous situations, like entering into intersections prior to the other cross traffic (that might have still entered legally) to clear...or the classical pressing the accelerator down and going 10 - 50 kmph in less than a second.  It allows the driver to get into bad situations quicker and easier; and punishes the driver for pedal misapplication.  It also becomes more of an issue of losing control on wet surfaces if the person is applying the acceleration too aggressively

With that said, the better acceleration also alleviates the issue of things such as highways merges where you only have a short distance to get to highways speeds.  So overall good acceleration has it's perks and drawbacks.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The big question I need to ask, why are you guys still not properly disclosing dealings with companies.  This thing felt like a giant ad, personally, and not a single reference to who provided you with the vehicle and who provided you with some of those talking points.  It's like the whole Mirai stuff, where LMG failed to disclose their dealings with Toyota.  (It took how many times asking in the forum before it came out that Toyota had helped cover some of the costs for the hydrogen video)

It doesn't matter if they don't have final says in a video, if Toyota is providing anything it should be disclosed when the highlight of the video is about Toyota.  I've actually noticed that about a lot of the videos, there isn't any disclosure guides of who provides the products.

While strictly not in the laws of Canada, at least in the EU I think it would be violations.

So I want to ask, what dealings did Toyota have in this vehicle.  I'm assuming you guys didn't rent the vehicle, instead likely got it from a dealership or Toyota directly to test.  If you are taking money, services, or products then there should be at least some disclosure somewhere of what was provided.

On a similar note, the Android Auto comment in the video...as someone who had been told by the sales rep. and saw the marketing of Android auto on the Sienna's; can you see my frustration to learn that the model I had bought on delivery didn't have Android Auto (2020)...the "last" year they didn't have it, and they aren't going to do any upgrades to include it...they had "mistaken" that they were talking about the 2021 model.

So Android Auto really only exists in some Toyota vehicles since the 2021 model, and I believe it had to be plugged in on that model as well...although later changed to wireless.  Speak as you may about the Tesla one for not having it, overall there really isn't much of a need for it (at least what I've found).  They still essentially use Google maps, you can just create a hotspot if you want things like music without paying.

Not to mention that EV's tend to actually have more acceleration than even those ICE with "track mode".

It's actually a mixed bag really, I do think track mode should be made illegal to drive on public streets with (which I think in some places it already is)...mainly because it sets a bad precedent of people gunning it off the line trying to "race" the person next to them.

Heavy acceleration can also lead to dangerous situations, like entering into intersections prior to the other cross traffic (that might have still entered legally) to clear...or the classical pressing the accelerator down and going 10 - 50 kmph in less than a second.  It allows the driver to get into bad situations quicker and easier; and punishes the driver for pedal misapplication.  It also becomes more of an issue of losing control on wet surfaces if the person is applying the acceleration too aggressively

With that said, the better acceleration also alleviates the issue of things such as highways merges where you only have a short distance to get to highways speeds.  So overall good acceleration has it's perks and drawbacks.

the concept of track mode is not standardized, the track mode in this car for example just gives you a 50:50 AWD split, which isn't dangerous at all

In terms of emissions, most places have regulations that different modes must all adhere to the same emissions standards

How would you even police it anyways? A standardized way to tell if the car is in a certain handling mode? What about people who modified the car and replaced the electronics?

What was the purpose of this video? Tax write-off on the GR Corolla?

This is the first LTT video I didn't like: Very very subjective and on topics nobody is real specialist of. We could go on with our lives without watching it and we wouldn't have lost any valuable information. Comparing a real piece of engineering (Porsche Taycan) vs a Marketing gimmick (Toyota Corolla) is sad. 

Linus, you want a sports car that can be driven every day and that is "FUN": Mazda Mx5.

5 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Track mode doesn't do anything special at all, most of the time it doesn't actually turn off TC or ESC either. Yet lots of older vehicles still being driven today don't have either.. because they are old. So if we are going to be fair with this critique then modern cars with track mode being used is 1000% safer than EVERY vehicle with none of these vehicle safety features at all.

Let's ban the right thing first then? Right? Or maybe it's not and has never been a vehicle issue at all and cars are only safer today than they have ever been no matter what "setting" is being utilized.

It's also not like TC can't be easily and fairly cheaply added to vehicles that didn't originally have it so you could legislate it as being mandatory with a fair and reasonable lead time to enforcement and you'll have a huge industry of TC ECU add-ons and installation services.

Also it's time to remember that exactly zero vehicles within the last roughly 20 years struggle to reach 60mph/100kmph and don't have decade long acceleration times because even the most cheaply made mass produced engines have vastly more power than much older vehicles so be very weary of what you are blaming. Anything half modern will get you in to trouble very rapidly very easily, "track mode" actually has nothing to do with anything at all.

US-auto-EPA-HP-2022-12-12.png

On 8/2/2023 at 3:29 PM, themrsbusta said:

Linus should make a car channel... How much would cost to LMG buy Donut Media from Recurrent? 👀

Um, Donut Media has been under fire lately, see one character in these two videos, watch both of them and you will see why the commenters are so mad, Donut seems to be so out of touch with its own audience. 

8 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The car has an Ontario plate. If you want to see who provided the car, you can look up the registered owner via the Ontario Ministry of Transportation website. That'll tell you if it was provided by Toyota in some way.

Personally, I don't think it was a paid shill for Toyota. These cars are available everywhere, they would have provided a model off the lot in the lower mainland. Instead, I think LMG got something in their inbox from a private individual that interested them. Whatever the deal with said individual was, someone drove the car across the country for Linus and Alex to play with it for a day. Maybe they got free tickets to LTX and milage paid? I'd drive from Ontario to BC and back for that deal.

To be fair this is more of a policy issue rather than the vehicle itself. There's no point in driving a large car if it doesn't have a large capacity. There's no point in driving a sports car if it doesn't go fast. Problem is public transport is severely lacking in North America. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 8/2/2023 at 11:57 PM, leadeater said:

You know both can go over 150kmph? A Honda Odyssey can also easily do 150kmph.

Cars shouldn't be allowed to go more than ~5% higher than the fastest speed limit in the country its registered in.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:57 PM, leadeater said:

Anyone can drive like an idiot in a Ford Ka and kill people

Does the Ford Ka encourage people to drive like an idiot? Any car with racing modes do. You can't argue against that, as its the entire point of those modes.

22 hours ago, EIREXE said:

It encourages people to drive badly, such as faster acceleration and faster cornering (see video of linus's driving).

20 hours ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

I see way more young provisional drivers in old beaters driving recklessness then I do people in fancy sports cars with track mode's.

An old beater will do less damage and doesn't actively encourage and advertise dangerous behavior.

20 hours ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

By your logic Cyclists and E Scooter should be illegal as I've had countless near misses with them when I'm on public paths.

e-bikes are regulated by law to not exceed ~26mph. Bicycles kill significantly fewer people than cars, yet, are regulated further than cars.

19 hours ago, Emzijs said:

Sports car, or any car in that matter, is not a danger to society. It's the drivers that are.

Then we should take those cars away from drivers.

18 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

We have laws to prevent people getting unnecessarily harmed by cars used in a dangerous manner.  But it hasn't stopped people from killing others with cars. 

Right, thats why we need to ban dangerous cars, so you will be less likely to be killed by one.

19 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Yeah, I got hit by a car and still have a painful shoulder.  But I still understand that cars are required and don't say, "Ban all the cars".  I could have been hit by a train or a bus, should we discuss banning public transit?  If I hit someone and hurt them with my bike, would they be justified in banning bikes?

I don't think all cars should be banned. ebikes are speed regulated, why not cars?

18 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Do you drive?  What kind of car do you drive?

Occasionally for work. ~15 year old kia sorento I use to transport my inventory between events. Its a work vehicle. I only get gas once every 2 or 3 months.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Also it's time to remember that exactly zero vehicles within the last roughly 20 years struggle to reach 60mph/100kmph and don't have decade long acceleration times because even the most cheaply made mass produced engines have vastly more power than much older vehicles so be very weary of what you are blaming. Anything half modern will get you in to trouble very rapidly very easily, "track mode" actually has nothing to do with anything at all.

Honestly terrifying. Why do regular people need such powerful vehicles? What good is it doing to society? I can show you the harm

%E2%80%8Ebig-cars1-800x600.png

On 8/2/2023 at 1:48 PM, BaidDSB said:

yeah its pretty unethical for people who can afford a GOOD EV to instead buy a ICE car.

Event he fact you made this video is disgusting. Please dont talk about Climate change problems again.

Ok, me and my dad have over the past ~7 ish years been using ebikes these bikes are like ~6-8k together (4 different bikes).

Yet we own 2 cars all bigger than 2L.

Is it fine to have a EV and a fun ICE? I think yes.

Have a daily commuter EV with a ICE big suv or smth use it for trips.

On 8/2/2023 at 4:31 PM, emosun said:

to me it seems like a purposely limited exclusive designed to make money by selling a corolla for 50k

Exactly why toyota made it...

These are well bassicly what subarus STI's are off the shelf ready to go to the track street legal race cars.

also GR is legit there racing division https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Gazoo_Racing

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 8/2/2023 at 11:29 PM, poochyena said:

Nothing wrong with small trucks. Its the oversized trucks that are the problem

image.thumb.png.bf1a5cabbfc0e311b29fa9da2a59bac4.png

You literally can't even see children in front of you in these oversized vehicles. Every time I see these oversized vehicles, I worry about my 8-year old step daughter getting ran over by one of these vehicles in a parking lot because they literally don't see her. There is zero excuse for the existence of these vehicles.

I legit drive a ford explorer (about same hight as a f150) probably for atleast this point over ~50 hours (look I just got my license).

Mostly through city traffic.

Thats a total myth you can see everything up there.

I also know that the base has blind spot mirrors you can see around that suv.

Its honestly drivers fault and neglagence if something like that happens.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang