What was the last LEGAL thing you torrented?

I'm going to go out on a whim here and say I both agree and disagree with you in regards to developers. I totally believe it's not fair for a developer to put out all that work and time only to have no money coming in. It won't make a living for them and they won't be able to continue to support the application. What I disagree with is paying for software before you've had a chance to try it out, without limitations.

Also, software that I use maybe 6 times a year like Office or Photoshop (I've paid for Lightroom, love and need it) I don't wish to pay $100's of dollars for because I'm not actually making any money nor using it enough to warrant a full purchase. I'd rent it if the price was actually decent, but Adobe's cheapest CC license buys me 6 cups of fancy coffee, which I enjoy much more. But that's just me and my morals.

Another example is DAW software - I like to mix and mash music, and have yet to find a perfect audio software solution for both mixing and exporting at good quality. Right now, to be perfectly honest, I'm trying to get a hold of MixedInKey's software. I mean everything they make. They don't even offer a trial, and that's a no-go for me. I'm not going to buy their software, and then waste my time refunding it if I don't like it, and until I can get a demo/trial of DAW software that doesn't block exporting audio, there's no way to tell how the quality will be after export without buying it.

I guess my point is I'll pay for good, well supported software made by developers who take every customer's suggestions seriously, and are out to develop great software instead of just making money. I'm pretty sure I've paid more for donation and shareware applications than well-known programs who sell to corporations as well as consumers.

Most music is streamed these days so you've got a point, but I think I have more of a problem of the DRM that is iTunes. Yes, I know most things are DRM free now, but videos/movies are still locked into iTunes/QuickTime and when I really really really want to support an artist, I cannot think of paying 30% to Apple, ~30% to their record label, and ~20% to their management, leaving the artist with a measly ~20% cash flow, which still has to pay for their expenses before profits. I'd rather pirate the music, buy the Bandcamp (only takes 10%) releases, goto concerts, and then buy merch/CD's.

Actually it could be legal; if you already own a Mac and are wishing to run OSX in a virtual machine on said Mac, there's nothing illegal there because you're running in on Apple Approved Hardware.

You raise very good points. I can see that but honestly I still pay for cc even though I only occasionally us Photoshop and nothing else. I buy most of my music and programs or use open source or free versions. Like luna over windows on my i3 4gb ram notebook. 

only use it for music since who would want to spend a lot of money for songs you listen to a few times. has 16,000 songs and iTunes charges $1.30 per song now so I prefer to keep my money unless I really like it and I have bought a few song already

Spotify brotha!

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

This probably isn't even legal, but a Mac OS X .dmg for a Virtual Machine.

Same as pirating windows...Not legal.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

i use it for music me and my dad have albums of on vinyl that we haven't converted yet.

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

Same as pirating windows...Not legal.

Pirate means no license, not the software.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Probably some mod that the author uploaded as a torrent. Can't remember exact details since it's been a while...

I downloaded Project Reality 1.0 ISO as a torrent because it was a huge ass file. Other than that I haven't downloaded anything else recently (and PR 1.0 update was released in like, September 2013).

I don't have a lot of programs so I don't torrent anything [illegal]. Plus I prefer to get things legitimately because my friend torrents paid stuff by the dozen and he has to update them manually very often, something I really hate. If he keeps it up he'll need a new drive for his HP pavilion laptop. I think it's a good thing that a lot of sites are seeing torrenting as a good legal way to get downloads a lot faster instead of the same old 5GB zip over a 100kB/s download speed. I just use DAP for downloads though nowadays and I find it quite a bit faster (3.0 MB/s as opposed to 1.0-1.5MB/s over most torrents).

Pirate means no license, not the software.

Well you do not need a license to activate OSX since it is usually protected by the Mac App Store (and the hardware UUID and processor making it only work on selected machines i.e. only macs in theory)

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I used burnbit.com to make a torrent so I could download an update for a game. (my home internet connection is terrible)

I downloaded the 5th song off of an album I had just purchased off the Zune store. For some reason the 5th song wouldn't download with some error. So I decided to go get it. Was several years ago.

And Mungyodance 3. It's a free DDR clone that the download link to get it on the creators site sent me to the pirate bay. It's a DDR clone with a bunch of really great music, check it out sometime.

On a similar note, i've torrented several albums from LapfoxTrax/VulpVibe. Renard doesn't care if you pirate, share, or really whatever you do with his music. He does sell it on bandcamp, but it's stated on one of his sites somewhere. He does some really great stuff.

for me torrenting is both convenient and cheap i would prefer to DL legally but sometimes that isnt an option. it has helped me learn web dev through lynda tutorials (which i now pay for) and provided me with the software to learn for free when web development takes off for me i will purchase all i need but for now its a means to an end.....

i also torrent tv but i dont know if its leagl or not......i have sky+ (like tivo) if i torrent a tv programme i could record is that illegal? i mean i can do it legitimately but torrenting is so much more convenient it allows me to watch a show anywhere in my house not just on my sky tv box.  

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Ubuntu 14.4 x86 & x64

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

snip

I download RAM via Torrent. It's super effective.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I've downloaded a few albums and Dungeon Defenders from Humble Bundle. I feel that BitTorrent is the best way to download files with the queuing, bandwidth control, and other features. Chrome downloads always freeze on me halfway through.

I only used it for illegal stuff before I was 18. My parents "didn't know"  ;) , so no one could have gotten in trouble. Now I use it for Linux. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Alan Wake, which I bought off the humblebundle, but I gave the keys away to some guy.

A documentary called the arrivals, can post the magnet link if anyone wants it.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Only thing I ever torrented was Linus' PS4 and PC comparison clips.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.