What was the last LEGAL thing you torrented?

got an episode of doctor who that was gone from iplayer once but thats the only video I get as movie industry needs all the money it can get to make more awsome stuff. Games however are a different matter..

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

I created this thread to find out, it's been pretty rewarding and popular so far.

BTW I used to drink in the Fox and Hounds. :)

:o

You use to live here in Fleet or are you still here?

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

some humble bundle games

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

:o

You use to live here in Fleet or are you still here?

I can be found bombing down the basingstoke canal towpath on a mountain bike quite often in summer, I stop off at the Fox because, well you know how it is by the water with the benches and what not it's a good place for a break.

Speaking of Fleet, where's the pink man these days? Is it true that he is dead? I've met him a time or two in the town, very odd fellow.

Well how do we even define whats legal or not (i dont want to start this kind of a conversation)

naaah drives me mad

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Interesting, didn't know about this, I'm leeching the 2013 part 1 now to give this thing a test drive.

Edit: This is pretty cool, new music discovery mode initiated thanks a lot for posting, I'm grabbing all of these torrents, @helping this may interest you too if you're not already aware of these torrents. :)

when and if I get net that is not crap 10GB monthly cap and way slow and unreliable (cricket 3g) Ill get this too.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

Speaking of Fleet, where's the pink man these days? Is it true that he is dead? I've met him a time or two in the town, very odd fellow.

I don't actually have any idea. He sorta just disapeared. I never saw him.

Nice to know someone who watches linus is relatively close. :D

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Well how do we even define whats legal or not (i dont want to start this kind of a conversation)

naaah drives me mad

how do we define legal? Let's find out.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+legal

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

naaah drives me mad

I think the question was more how does one ascertain the legality of a given torrent, which is opening a whole new can of worms because of how different people interpret things and the fact that bittorrent is global and different countries have different laws. <_<

I think the question was more how does one ascertain the legality of a given torrent, which is opening a whole new can of worms because of how different people interpret things and the fact that bittorrent is global and different countries have different laws. <_<

well i meant not legal itself

lets say a movie comes out and after a couple of years the tv gets the rights to play it and millions watch it. is it legal to record it ? is it legal to share it? those are the things that need the hours of discussion

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

well i meant not legal itself

lets say a movie comes out and after a couple of years the tv gets the rights to play it and millions watch it. is it legal to record it ? is it legal to share it? those are the things that need the hours of discussion

easy (more or less). Check the state of the laws in your place of residence (country, state, et al) and if they are not clear check recent court precedent on such matters.

better safe than sorry: only do things you are sure are legal, and allowed in writing by the author of the content in question.

Beyond that, sticky wicket it is.

Why would you torrent something legal? Wut I don't even.

If you have to ask this you either don't fully understand how torrenting works or aren't thinking hard enough. 

Error: 410

Unigine Heaven 4.0

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

an album off overclocked remix

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

In fact almost all of my torrent traffic in the last month has been legal.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

If you have to ask this you either don't fully understand how torrenting works or aren't thinking hard enough. 

Why would you then? Having looked on other forms including torrent ones they all say to get stuff for free, get stuff before it comes out?.. same again.,

Only thing may be a little greater speed but generally to me if I download something conventually it is fas tenough.

This is wrong. When you paid for those movies you agreed that that's how you plan on watching them. It's not the creators fault that you bought them on disc and now regret the purchase.

If I buy a brand new laptop, and then a week's later a new one comes out does that to be me the right to go steal the better one because I believe that I have the right to use something the way I want?

Despite the legality I fully support him and feel the same.

A laptop is a physical object, if you take it you deprive someone of it. Digital content is simply replicated, format shifting of purchased content should be legal and I oppose your argument.

Why would you then? Having looked on other forms including torrent ones they all say to get stuff for free, get stuff before it comes out?.. same again.,

Only thing may be a little greater speed but generally to me if I download something conventually it is fas tenough.

Redundancy, how quickly it can distribute a file, no flooding a server for a file in high demand, each successive transfer of a part of a file creates a bandwidth 'multiplier' for the effective hive-style server

Much, much more resilient than a file server, if 1000 people have 1MB of a 1GB file, as long as the complete file exists between the peer network and not necessarily one person, the file can be regrown and distributed quicker than 1000 individual downloads. 

each successive transfer of a part of a file creates a bandwidth 'multiplier' for the effective hive-style server.

It can if people use the system like that, but the majority of leechers exit the swarm as soon as they're complete the selfish sons of whores.

I normally seed to 1:1 on most stuff to make my peace or I'll seed to 1:2 or much more if it's something worth keeping up with low seeding.

Redundancy, how quickly it can distribute a file, no flooding a server for a file in high demand, each successive transfer of a part of a file creates a bandwidth 'multiplier' for the effective hive-style server

Much, much more resilient than a file server, if 1000 people have 1MB of a 1GB file, as long as the complete file exists between the peer network and not necessarily one person, the file can be regrown and distributed quicker than 1000 individual downloads. 

That isn't really why you'd download a legal file or legal item through it instead Just why it is better  than downloading from a single server.  I see your point though. But most legal things have a server to download from that can handle the demand. Well everything I have tried to download.

Don't include operating systems (linux distros) because that's an obvious first, I'm more interested in discovering new uses thus far unknown to me, but if your only ever legit use was downloading distros by all means say so. :)

I will be honest about my personal situation, I have never downloaded anything from BitTorrent that wasn't copyrighted, so there is no kind of witch hunt here as I'm first bad guy, I'm just up for some sharing (all your puns are belong to us)

What was the last legal/legitimate thing you torrented, and how long ago was it?

Looking forward to seeing the answers, there's an anon poll too if you want to partake.

indie songs of people that make profits by selling merchandise and donations and unlicensed anime.

and world of warcraft since its speed was better than the WoW launcher.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

there's a lot of free software that people prefer downloading via torrent rather than an upload site because torrents are essentially add free and content doesn't get erased if you don't pay for the file to be uploaded.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I Torrent most of my ubisoft games, Cause the Ubisoft launcher  while it works fine for games, I constantly get horrendous download speeds.

Then just copy paste the folder into ubisoft launchers dir

That isn't really why you'd download a legal file or legal item through it instead Just why it is better  than downloading from a single server. 

uh.. it kind of is.

Even more perks to it depending on what client you use, most have a lot of detailed features and I don't think browsers support interruptable downloading. 

I could just reverse your point and ask you why you would download it from a server versus a torrent. Whatever you reply with, I can refute it with your previous statement.