You're gonna wanna brace yourself for this - GPU sag might be killing RTX cards

BachChain

Summary

Tech repair YouTube channel KrisFix has reported receiving an increasing number of RTX 2080tis suffering VRAM damage. He attributes this damage with heavy GPU coolers causing excessive amounts of flex on the bottom of the card, straining the memory chips located there, and eventually breaking the solder joints.

Quotes

They have one very common problem. and this common problem is right here: the PCIe slot. And the problem comes from there that these three ram chips are very close to the PCI slot. When the card is plugged into the motherboard, in the front, there are one or two screws holding the card, here in the middle we have the motherboard, and on the back side we have nothing. And what happens is all this weight from here causes pressure right here, and from this pressure the card bends very slightly, and from this bending some of the solder joints under these three ram chips crack, and after that they they don't have a good connection between the board and the chips.

My thoughts

I'm surprised that 1) this hasn't become more of a problem sooner, and 2) including card brackets hasn't become standard practice for these monster cards.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2080-ti-dying-from-gpu-sag

This the same guy that said RX6000 cards dies were cracking due to drivers? 

IMO this is a non-story. These cards have been out for over two years and preventing sag has well known prevention options. 

Fake drama is boring. 

23 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

This the same guy that said RX6000 cards dies were cracking due to drivers? 

IMO this is a non-story. These cards have been out for over two years and preventing sag has well known prevention options. 

Fake drama is boring. 

Yes. Same guy. 
If this was about 3000 series, I could get behind the story. Weird he’s doing about sag and not dying vram chips…..

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Severe gpu sag can cause thermal pads to stop making contact. I see this yearly a couple times. But we are talking about severe sag where its visibly detaching.

As always I recommend people prevent it but normally its a non issue for the lifetime of the card.

I dont doubt a handfull of cards are epxeriencing this issue but unless it gets real common I dont see this being a problem.

we have always known that trend of sag has not been good or pressure on the PCIe slot. so not much news.

gpus be goofy sports cars with the price to match 😛

solution buy a $10 stand... or make your own... you think would be worse on 30x and 40x?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

57 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

solution buy a $10 stand... or make your own... you think would be worse on 30x and 40x?

40x being a 3-4 slot, already hitting the floor

just water cool the floppy fish of a card.

Edited by Quackers101

2 hours ago, BachChain said:

My thoughts

I'm surprised that 1) this hasn't become more of a problem sooner, and 2) including card brackets hasn't become standard practice for these monster cards.

The problem is that few, if any computer chassis actually have the mounting points for full length cards in the right place, if at all, because that space is often taken up by 3.5" hard drive bays. The original PC/XT/AT chassis had them, because most of the expansion cards for the original PC/XT/AT were full length cards. The spec is defined as 312mm (12.283 inches.)  

Yet...

A popular case like the Lian-Li O11 doesn't have these brackets because they have glass front panels.

o11-COMPATIBILITY-02.jpg

That said, aside from the RTX x70/x80/x90 parts of the 30 and 40 series, it's really going to depend on the card design (which are all 3 slot designs.) The high end RTX cards, if they are FE cards, or ASUS TUF cards are unlikely to experience this problem just because of the rather solid mounting (eg the cards have entire backplates) so it's unlikely to sag if it has a backplate.

But my guess is there are probably some cards out there where the backplate doesn't cover the entire PCB, only the GPU die back side. Something to keep in mind if your transport your PC around, but probably not going to be encountered that often.

It's not like this is real or anything:

(This is an April Fools video, in case anyone visits this thread from outside the forum)

Because the FE cards don't actually have a PCB that goes end-to-end so it can have the type of cooling fan it uses, there is probably some potential for sag, if only due to surface area (Eg a cooler mount is spread over less area.)

But I don't imagine this to be an issue unless something like that April Fools joke video ends up becoming the reality for GPU's.

my last 2 cases have been horizontal mount cases. never have to worry about sag ever!

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

my last 2 cases have been horizontal mount cases. never have to worry about sag ever!

I just don't own any GPUs big enough to sag lol, RTX A4500 isn't the heaviest of cards compared to the 4 slot monstrosities we see now

Just now, da na said:

I just don't own any GPUs big enough to sag lol, RTX A4500 isn't the heaviest of cards compared to the 4 slot monstrosities we see now

and my a4000 is single slot 😄

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Ever take a paperclip and bend it back and fourth several times? It eventually breaks from metal fatigue from the constant thermal cycling of being off (room temperature) to pull 100% duty cycle of gaming sessions. Eventually the solder points will crack.

This isn't a new thing, and in fact very common with laptops with powerful GPUs.

Now i really want a horizontal case for all these new GPUs coming out. 

21 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Ever take a paperclip and bend it back and fourth several times? It eventually breaks from metal fatigue from the constant thermal cycling of being off (room temperature) to pull 100% duty cycle of gaming sessions. Eventually the solder points will crack.

This isn't a new thing, and in fact very common with laptops with powerful GPUs.

True, but usually the cooler itself fails before it gets there.

Oh no! Anyway....

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

44 minutes ago, da na said:

Haven't 2080 series cards had VRAM problems for years? This is nothing new. Also, GPU sag is easily preventable with literally any moderately long stiff object

The initial Micron equipped cards had artefacts. Samsung cards however are fine.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

The problem is that few, if any computer chassis actually have the mounting points for full length cards in the right place, if at all, because that space is often taken up by 3.5" hard drive bays. The original PC/XT/AT chassis had them, because most of the expansion cards for the original PC/XT/AT were full length cards. The spec is defined as 312mm (12.283 inches.)  

Yet...

A popular case like the Lian-Li O11 doesn't have these brackets because they have glass front panels.

That said, aside from the RTX x70/x80/x90 parts of the 30 and 40 series, it's really going to depend on the card design (which are all 3 slot designs.) The high end RTX cards, if they are FE cards, or ASUS TUF cards are unlikely to experience this problem just because of the rather solid mounting (eg the cards have entire backplates) so it's unlikely to sag if it has a backplate.

But my guess is there are probably some cards out there where the backplate doesn't cover the entire PCB, only the GPU die back side. Something to keep in mind if your transport your PC around, but probably not going to be encountered that often.

It's not like this is real or anything:

(This is an April Fools video, in case anyone visits this thread from outside the forum)

Because the FE cards don't actually have a PCB that goes end-to-end so it can have the type of cooling fan it uses, there is probably some potential for sag, if only due to surface area (Eg a cooler mount is spread over less area.)

But I don't imagine this to be an issue unless something like that April Fools joke video ends up becoming the reality for GPU's.

This has already been solved, ironically by Lian Li, the manufacturer of the O11 Dynamic, lol.

https://lian-li.com/product/gb-002/

This bracket is actually installed through the motherboard standoffs on standard ATX motherboards (the two bottom right standoffs). The bracket is adjustable both vertically and horizontally to avoid fans and contact the card itself.

This design is far more universal than the ones coming from card manufacturers since the ATX standard has been around for years. ITX or Micro ATX boards won't be able to use it, but you are far less likely to pair a 5lb 4090 with a micro or ITX board/chassis. At that point, I'd recommend the Bracing Retention Apparatus, or "BRA":

GPU too heavy? | Page 2 | TechPowerUp Forums

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

True, but usually the cooler itself fails before it gets there.

Regarding, laptops, not in my experience at least. Though a fan failure being the primary would be true of crypto mining GPUs were the temps remain at a constant load.

And while I don't advocate for the use of lead, from a physics perspective, RoHS (lead free) compliant solder isn't as durable under extreme thermal cycling; and the industry has switched over to RoHS some time ago.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

that requires bending it beyond the yield point. 

Metal bends and comes back just fine without fatigue (elastic deformtion). Its onces you make a plastic deformation that you have now changed the structure and made that area harder/more birttle. 

I would have to look further into the OP story, but given their history im suspicious about his heuristics that he uses for troubleshooting and overconfidence. 

8 minutes ago, starsmine said:

that requires bending it beyond the yield point. 

Metal bends and comes back just fine without fatigue (elastic deformtion). Its onces you make a plastic deformation that you have now changed the structure and made that area harder/more birttle. 

That is incorrect! Solder fatigue is absolutely an issue under extreme thermal cycling. If it wasn't then there would never be a need to reflow the solder using either a heat gun or the oven method.

Note: specifically in regards to BGA ICs

Just now, StDragon said:

That is incorrect! Solder fatigue is absolutely an issue under extreme thermal cycling. If it wasn't then there would never be a need to reflow the solder using either a heat gun or the oven method.

yes, but that has nothing to do with your paper clip example or sag

5 minutes ago, starsmine said:

yes, but that has nothing to do with your paper clip example or sag

It does, it's has to do with the crystalline structure within the metallurgy.

Here, right from Wiki

A disadvantage of BGAs is that the solder balls cannot flex in the way that longer leads can, so they are not mechanically compliant. As with all surface mount devices, bending due to a difference in coefficient of thermal expansion between PCB substrate and BGA (thermal stress) or flexing and vibration (mechanical stress) can cause the solder joints to fracture.

Thermal expansion issues can be overcome by matching the mechanical and thermal characteristics of the PCB to those of the package. Typically, plastic BGA devices more closely match PCB thermal characteristics than ceramic devices.

The predominant use of RoHS compliant lead-free solder alloy assemblies has presented some further challenges to BGAs including "head in pillow"[3] soldering phenomenon, "pad cratering" problems as well as their decreased reliability versus lead-based solder BGAs in extreme operating conditions such as high temperature, high thermal shock and high gravitational force environments, in part due to lower ductility of RoHS-compliant solders.[4]