You're gonna wanna brace yourself for this - GPU sag might be killing RTX cards

BachChain

I doubt chips on the pcb would flex just as well without risk of damage if you tried flexing it, now imagine some sag im sure the damage will be there with time.

6 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

This the same guy that said RX6000 cards dies were cracking due to drivers? 

6 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Yes. Same guy. 

He is repairing GPUs and one of the few sources of actual numbers for defective units. With the RX6000 he speculated a sudden influx in defective units might be correlated to a the driver. After some digging he found all the broken cards were from the same seller.

I don't know how accurate his assessments are, but if he sees a sudden influx of broken units, there is probably a reason for it.

7 hours ago, BachChain said:

Tech repair YouTube channel KrisFix has reported...

download (1).jpeg

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

He is repairing GPUs and one of the few sources of actual numbers for defective units. With the RX6000 he speculated a sudden influx in defective units might be correlated to a the driver. After some digging he found all the broken cards were from the same seller.

I don't know how accurate his assessments are, but if he sees a sudden influx of broken units, there is probably a reason for it.

Im confused as to the timeline TBH

The video is a year old. and Tom's hardware is reporting on it now. I see no other recent video from Krisfix either. Im not sure there is an influx here.

Not much news this week or something huh?

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

26 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Im confused as to the timeline TBH

The video is a year old. and Tom's hardware is reporting on it now. I see no other recent video from Krisfix either. Im not sure there is an influx here.

That's a good point.

After watching his video I'm also not so sure. I mean, yes, the broken solder joints are at a point on the PCB where you would expect the most amount of displacement from bending the PCB in the slot, but that's a very weak link.

All in all this is a nothingburger.

53 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

That's a good point.

After watching his video I'm also not so sure. I mean, yes, the broken solder joints are at a point on the PCB where you would expect the most amount of displacement from bending the PCB in the slot, but that's a very weak link.

All in all this is a nothingburger.

Probably just click bait for views because something like. I have had 0 issue with my 2080ti and if this was an issue you would see more about this.

16 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Probably just click bait for views because something like. I have had 0 issue with my 2080ti and if this was an issue you would see more about this.

I don't think so. The video and its title are very technical and factual.

This was Tomshardware randomly blowing it out of proportion, not the video.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:23 PM, da na said:

Haven't 2080 series cards had VRAM problems for years? This is nothing new. Also, GPU sag is easily preventable with literally any moderately long stiff object

yes with giant metal bolts and subsequently dying motherboards as seen on this very forum (and nah i wont find these threads now, its been a while lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/14/2023 at 1:18 PM, GuiltySpark_ said:

This the same guy that said RX6000 cards dies were cracking due to drivers? 

IMO this is a non-story. These cards have been out for over two years and preventing sag has well known prevention options. 

Fake drama is boring. 

To be fair to him he never said that. He asked the tech repair community if anyone else had any information on why the dies were cracking and noted the only difference was the driver versions between the broken cards and cards which functioning perfectly the press/media just ran with the bloody thing saying AMDs drivers were killing their cards. Medias fault but he never should have released the video.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List