BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

1 hour ago, Idiot_icLoser55 said:

Anyone know how to disable certain applications using config files. I've tried with the below but it's not working, I don't want to do it through the web portal because I have other instances of boinc running that are using the app I want to disable here.

<app_config>
	<app_version>
		<app_name>GetDecics</app_name>
		<plan_class>cuda30</plan_class>
	</app_version>
	<app_version>
		<app_name>GetDecics</app_name>
		<plan_class>default</plan_class>
		<max_concurrent>0</max_concurrent>
		<avg_ncpus>0</avg_ncpus>
	</app_version>
</app_config>

Maybe try creating a new preferences configuration for a computer location on the website then set that computer to "Work" or "School" etc with that configuration setup just for that computer. I have a few like that for Yoyo that just don't have enough ram so won't run any ecmP2 tasks. 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Maybe try creating a new preferences configuration for a computer location on the website then set that computer to "Work" or "School" etc with that configuration setup just for that computer. I have a few like that for Yoyo that just don't have enough ram so won't run any ecmP2 tasks. 

Yeah its working now using the different location preferences. I didn't know that it could differentiate between instances on the same host. Thought it would just group them all together as one location.

5 minutes ago, Idiot_icLoser55 said:

Yeah its working now using the different location preferences. I didn't know that it could differentiate between instances on the same host. Thought it would just group them all together as one location.

Yea, fortunately any instance is treated as a computer and given a unique ID. Makes things like this much more configurable and easy.

49 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea, fortunately any instance is treated as a computer and given a unique ID. Makes things like this much more configurable and easy.

Since version 7.16.11 you can name each instance differently than the primary hostname using this in the cc_config.xml file of each additional instance.

<device_name>NAME</device_name>

Changing "NAME" uniquely for each instance on the same host. Most projects support this now so when you look on your host list page you can easily identify which instance on which host each one refers to.

However, not all projects support this and will show the same name no matter what while at least one project will just merge same named instances into a single host on the server.

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

On 5/13/2023 at 3:28 PM, AamirA said:

I have the same problem. Then I found 'Do you consent to exporting your data to BOINC statistics aggregation Web sites?' in the settings. Still has not shown up in my boincstats yet, maybe takes a while.Screenshot_20230513_152608.png.7e13af65c8a2c57d517d9ff807478af2.png

For anyone wondering, @AamirA is correct. This is how you get NF to report on BOINC stats. Took about 24 hours for it to get added but this was the fix.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Just started with the Einstein@home, heard about this on the WAN show from yesterday and thought to help.

I have ryzen 5900X and RTX 3070 Ti.

It is just using CPU though eventhough i thought it was GPU for einstein@home according to the main post?

0bb94d7f58a303b1dbba4d542adeedea.png

17 minutes ago, Koen Peters said:

Just started with the Einstein@home, heard about this on the WAN show from yesterday and thought to help.

It is just using CPU though eventhough i thought it was GPU for einstein@home according to the main post?

You need to go into your account preferences page on the Einstein web site and uncheck use CPU.

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

39 minutes ago, Koen Peters said:

Its kinda complicated.

https://einsteinathome.org/ -> login -> view account -> preferences -> project

Uncheck cpu and select gpu.

Also I am heaing that selecting ONLY Binary Radio Pulsar Search (MeerKAT) (BRP7) under Applications should get you more points.

Click save changes at the bottom. Then go to boinc manager and click update

Edited by AamirA
Make more clear

34 minutes ago, AamirA said:

Its kinda complicated.

https://einsteinathome.org/ -> login -> view account -> preferences -> project

Uncheck cpu and select gpu.

Also I am heaing that selecting ONLY Binary Radio Pulsar Search (MeerKAT) (BRP7) under Applications should get you more points.

Click save changes at the bottom. Then go to boinc manager and click update

Ah that is the only way to contribute points to this one? i do not mind using only CPU or only GPU or both

9 minutes ago, Koen Peters said:

Ah that is the only way to contribute points to this one? i do not mind using only CPU or only GPU or both

All points count for this event, CPU GPU or both.

P.S. Make sure you are registered on the LTT team.

image.thumb.png.41725c43144baa689365da21164dd5dc.png

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

12 minutes ago, Koen Peters said:

GPU only on Einstein, and CPU only on NumberFields, is probably the most beneficial at this point.

I hope somebody drops an Einstein bunker or something.  Maybe my pending work units might actually get validated then...which is almost all of them.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:48 PM, Ithanul said:

Javelin Throw - Final Throw in Progress

• Project: SRBase - all subprojects except TF
  • Invite Code: pillepalle
  • Resource Usage: CPU
  • Scoring: Third best Throw is used for event ranking
  • 1st Throw: 07 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 08 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 2nd Throw: 08 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 09 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 3rd Throw:  10 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 11 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 4th Throw:  11 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 12 May 2023 00:00 UTC
  • 5th Throw:  13 May 2023 00:00 UTC - 14 May 2023 00:00 UTC

Can we get this updated with our placement?

Also, would be nice if we had this link thrown in the post as well! 

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 hour ago, TylerD321 said:

Can we get this updated with our placement?

Also, would be nice if we had this link thrown in the post as well! 

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php

Updated.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Welp, no more Einstein getting downloaded for me since I loaded up just prior to it opening...silly server.  Last couple being worked on now.  Guess that's all she wrote for that.  Not that much of what I did has gotten credit anyway.

Is there any point in me keeping my stuff on Numbers. Unless somebody has some large bunkers seems like it would be worth it to start moving back to einstein and yoyo.

I started running Einstein@Home (Cross Country) and only selected GPU workloads. It takes around 6 minutes for one Task to be completed, but it spends over 50% of that time doing not much (only ~20% CPU utilization and nothing happening on the GPU). Is this normal, or did I set it up incorrectly?

Settings:

Spoiler

image.png.a902f6d27299c11333a1ba4a462ef9d4.png

image.png.d4bd7996c21337a66268a7a26a146438.png

10 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I started running Einstein@Home (Cross Country) and only selected GPU workloads. It takes around 6 minutes for one Task to be completed, but it spends over 50% of that time doing not much (only ~20% CPU utilization and nothing happening on the GPU). Is this normal, or did I set it up incorrectly?

Settings:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.a902f6d27299c11333a1ba4a462ef9d4.png

image.png.d4bd7996c21337a66268a7a26a146438.png

6 minute run time is correct. You need to change Task Manager graph to show CUDA rather than 3D, you can choose any of the graphs to change to CUDA though.

image.png.072f05ecb1ab59ed05967fc873d7149a.png

Click on the top down by the text to see the options.

I have to stop basically all my BOINC systems so would be great for those that can to move GPUs back to Numbers. There is only ~14 hours left so moving GPUs from Einstein won't hurt that event much while protecting us from any surprise late bunkers in Numbers which are always there, and there is a lot of time to gain the only possible position we can in Einstein, no chance of catching P3D in that event.

Edit:

But I have moved my 2x 3060 Ti and 6800 XT in my gaming system to Numbers, that should help a little but honestly not even close to what I'm having to turn off.

Just now, leadeater said:

6 minute run time is correct. You need to change Task Manager graph to show CUDA rather than 3D, you can choose any of the graphs to change to CUDA though.

image.png.072f05ecb1ab59ed05967fc873d7149a.png

Click on the top down by the text to see the options.

I'm checking the power consumption of my card in afterburner. But I actually don't have a CUDA tab in my task manager, and those workloads do show up under 3D

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d91885e8182fe0a729b09958ec3ac0ad.png

5 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I'm checking the power consumption of my card in afterburner. But I actually don't have a CUDA tab in my task manager, and those workloads do show up under 3D

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.d91885e8182fe0a729b09958ec3ac0ad.png

What GPU do you have? Also if the BOINC tasks are taking the 6 minutes like you said then it's running fine, just a reporting problem seeing the activity or something like that.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

What GPU do you have? Also if the BOINC tasks are taking the 6 minutes like you said then it's running fine, just a reporting problem seeing the activity or something like that.

A RTX 3090 (but undervolted pretty heavily to get that low power consumption, at least for stuff like this).

I switched to Numbers now as you said

So turns out I need to bow out, power costs of 0.42USD/KWh is just too much to sustain, especially with the folding event starting on the first. Will keep the two i5 laptops running to see out the rest of the event on yoyo but need to power down the server and gaming rig. The joys of state welfare. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240