BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

36 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

My passion is folding.... Nvidia is where it is at if you want to get the most bang for the buck in folding. 

and BOINC

Is there anything special I need to know about Einstein before I switch to it tonight? 

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

2 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Is there anything special I need to know about Einstein before I switch to it tonight? 

Only allow 'Gamma-ray pulsar binary search #1' to run

22 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

F@H is my first love.... But I'll BOINC around when needed 🙂

I meant that Nvidia is where it is at if you want to get the most bang for the buck for BOINC also. most projects favor Nvidia. and some are CUDA only so can't be run on AMD anyway.

I'm all in on Nvidia now also. Used to have a bunch of AMD 280X GPUs specifically for Milkyway@home due to their double-precision compute abilities, but I've since replaced them with much faster and more stable Nvidia GPUs with good DP. 

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

Just want to reiterate what was said earlier after figuring some things out.

If you are running linux with an Nvidia gpu and set up the Einstein Special App as shown in the link below Gamma Ray #1 can receive a performance increase. For me this dropped around a minute from the runtime.

Before doing this your boinc instance must already be running the Gamma Ray #1 tasks. In my case I was having a couple problems getting Einstein to provide me with the correct tasks. It appears that einstein keeps a record of the tasks it assigns you. And changing your preferences doesn't do anything to this record. Until you complete these tasks they will just keep getting sent back to you even if you abort them. The only solution appears to be to run through them all until einstein starts assigning you new tasks.

Once it starts assigning you the new tasks you can then move onto the following instructions:

https://einsteinathome.org/content/einstein-fgrpb1g-linuxnvidia-special-app-aio

After completing those steps you need to restart the boinc client to allow it to select the new executable. Don't reset the project or else you will have to replace the executable again.

And as mentioned in the instructions if you are getting errors try using v0.95

Edited by Idiot_icLoser55
Had some details wrong.

8 minutes ago, Idiot_icLoser55 said:

Just want to reiterate what was said earlier after figuring some things out.

If you are running linux with an Nvidia gpu and set up the Einstein Special App as shown in the link below Gamma Ray #1 can receive upwards of a 2x performance increase. For me the tasks have gone from completing in 20 minutes to 7 minutes.

Before doing this your boinc instance must already be running the Gamma Ray #1 tasks. In my case I was having a couple problems getting Einstein to provide me with the correct tasks. It appears that einstein keeps a record of the tasks it assigns you. And changing your preferences doesn't do anything to this record. Until you complete these tasks they will just keep getting sent back to you even if you abort them. The only solution appears to be to run through them all until einstein starts assigning you new tasks. Once it starts assigning you the new tasks you can then move onto the instructions below.

https://einsteinathome.org/content/einstein-fgrpb1g-linuxnvidia-special-app-aio

From 20 minutes to 7 minutes? That doesn't sound right.

I am assuming you mean this host: https://einsteinathome.org/host/13139955

Since it's the only host you have.

Looking at your completed tasks none of them have ran for 20 minutes.

You got on CPU task that ran for 41,669 tasks. Don't run CPUs, they're not worth it.

Then your highest running task on your GPU was the Multi-Directional Gravitational Wave task that took 732 seconds.

While your fastest tasks running on your GPU has been another Multi-Directional Gravitational Wave task that took 559 seconds.

The instructions you posted above doesn't effect any of those tasks.

Those tasks you have 30 of them that timed out - no response, and 31 of them that are "in progress" meaning they haven't been uploaded to the server and reported yet.

edit:

The 31 tasks you have in progress are the correct tasks however. So if some of them have completed already you should upload and report them, unless you're being sneaky with a bunker.

51 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

From 20 minutes to 7 minutes? That doesn't sound right.

I am assuming you mean this host: https://einsteinathome.org/host/13139955

Since it's the only host you have.

Looking at your completed tasks none of them have ran for 20 minutes.

You got on CPU task that ran for 41,669 tasks. Don't run CPUs, they're not worth it.

Then your highest running task on your GPU was the Multi-Directional Gravitational Wave task that took 732 seconds.

While your fastest tasks running on your GPU has been another Multi-Directional Gravitational Wave task that took 559 seconds.

The instructions you posted above doesn't effect any of those tasks.

Those tasks you have 30 of them that timed out - no response, and 31 of them that are "in progress" meaning they haven't been uploaded to the server and reported yet.

edit:

The 31 tasks you have in progress are the correct tasks however. So if some of them have completed already you should upload and report them, unless you're being sneaky with a bunker.

Just uploaded now but they're still pending.

Don't know that any of the originals ran to completion though cause I was fiddling with the settings in the middle of it and think they got aborted. 20 mins I think is about what it looked on track for and it's what they were estimating after I changed the settings. Guess it may have come down though if I'd let it run to completion.would have probably made sense to run a couple to completion so I had something concrete to compare. I'll remember that for next time.

Also my CPU's are off einstein now. Didn't know which would be best to begin with and had it backwards with GPU running on numbers and CPU on einstein. New to boinc and folding, and only just picking up on the fact that I should probably go and look at the top profiles to see which I should be running.

3 minutes ago, Idiot_icLoser55 said:

Just uploaded now but they're still pending.

Don't know that any of the originals ran to completion though cause I was fiddling with the settings in the middle of it and think they got aborted. 20 mins I think is about what it looked on track for and it's what they were estimating after I changed the settings. Guess it may have come down though if I'd let it run to completion.would have probably made sense to run a couple to completion so I had something concrete to compare. I'll remember that for next time.

Also my CPU's are off einstein now. Didn't know which would be best to begin with and had it backwards with GPU running on numbers and CPU on einstein. New to boinc and folding, and only just picking up on the fact that I should probably go and look at the top profiles to see which I should be running.

The estimated time that the BOINC Manager reports is 99.9% of the time, incorrect. You will need to run 1000s of tasks on that host before the BOINC Manager can accurately calculate the remaining time because in the beginning its just guessing. Never base the time it takes to run a task on the estimated time. Let them finish, get the result file and see how long it actually took.

I just looked at the 12 tasks you uploaded that are pending. None of them are using the special app.

Here is one of the results that is pending you for.

https://einsteinathome.org/task/1470637670

Notice the top section:

<core_client_version>7.20.2</core_client_version><![CDATA[<stderr_txt>22:28:22 (816644): [normal]: This Einstein@home App was built at: Aug 17 2021 16:19:4022:28:22 (816644): [normal]: Start of BOINC application '../../projects/einstein.phys.uwm.edu/hsgamma_FGRPB1G_1.28_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__FGRPopencl2Pup-nvidia'.

This tells you it is using the stock app still.

If it was using the special app it would look like this:

<core_client_version>7.16.6</core_client_version><![CDATA[<stderr_txt>02:19:04 (3367): [normal]: This Einstein@home App (v1.0 by petri33) was built at: Apr 28 2022 18:47:1502:19:04 (3367): [normal]: Start of BOINC application '../../projects/einstein.phys.uwm.edu/HSgammaPulsar_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-opencl_v1.0'.

You can run nvidia-smi in the console/terminal/ssh/putty when a task is running and at the bottom it will tell you which app it is using.

Good going team!

We snag third in Sprint!

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, SkillzTA said:

The estimated time that the BOINC Manager reports is 99.9% of the time, incorrect. You will need to run 1000s of tasks on that host before the BOINC Manager can accurately calculate the remaining time because in the beginning its just guessing. Never base the time it takes to run a task on the estimated time. Let them finish, get the result file and see how long it actually took.

I just looked at the 12 tasks you uploaded that are pending. None of them are using the special app.

Here is one of the results that is pending you for.

https://einsteinathome.org/task/1470637670

Notice the top section:

<core_client_version>7.20.2</core_client_version><![CDATA[<stderr_txt>22:28:22 (816644): [normal]: This Einstein@home App was built at: Aug 17 2021 16:19:4022:28:22 (816644): [normal]: Start of BOINC application '../../projects/einstein.phys.uwm.edu/hsgamma_FGRPB1G_1.28_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__FGRPopencl2Pup-nvidia'.

This tells you it is using the stock app still.

If it was using the special app it would look like this:

<core_client_version>7.16.6</core_client_version><![CDATA[<stderr_txt>02:19:04 (3367): [normal]: This Einstein@home App (v1.0 by petri33) was built at: Apr 28 2022 18:47:1502:19:04 (3367): [normal]: Start of BOINC application '../../projects/einstein.phys.uwm.edu/HSgammaPulsar_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-opencl_v1.0'.

You can run nvidia-smi in the console/terminal/ssh/putty when a task is running and at the bottom it will tell you which app it is using.

Thanks for this. Needed to restart the client before it would use the new executable. Brought the runtime down from ~450 to ~320. But left it only completing 1 in 6 tasks. Dropped it to v0.95 and now the runtimes are ~380 but there are no errors and it uses less resources.

I've moved my GPU's to Einstein. Not sure I want to fight with Yoyo tonight

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

15 minutes ago, AamirA said:

Should I do yoyo subproject ECM, ECM P2, or both?

Probably ECM without knowing much about your host.

ECM can use up to 4GB of RAM per task while ECM P2 could go as high as 10GB, but I've only seen it reach 8GB. Still twice as much as non-P2 tasks.

Also keep note that the RAM fluctuates while the task is running. So you'll need to monitor the task and RAM usage for probably 30 mins to an hour to see it use the highest point.

1 minute ago, SkillzTA said:

None of them. 😂

Hide contents

I know but... since I have to for a little bit just to help pass [H]OCP soon as possible I'm going to do it lol. Not like we can gain on Yoyo anyway.

Now that three events are in the books, we have a pretty good idea of how the standings are stacking up. It's clear we are not in contention for overall silver, but need to aggressively defend overall bronze. SETI.Germany did a last minute push in the Sprint and got a good bump in the ranks. We only lead them by 27 points overall right now. 

Let's look at some hypothetical scenarios:

SETI.Germany ramps up in Einstein and takes our current 5th place standing. They gain 9 points and we lose 3. Net change: 12 points.

If they can get 4th place, net change (assuming we get 6th place), 19 points. 

Third place in Eintsein should be out of reach.

SETI.Germany beats [H] in their close race for 4th place in yoyo. They gain 7 points.

If they get 3rd place, pushing us to 4th, net change is 27 points. (which would be a tie for 3rd overall only if they remain 8th in Einstein which is unlikely)

If they accomplish both 4th in Einstein and 4th in yoyo, we would still be able to hold 3rd overall by a slim 1 point margin. Therefore, we must maintain 3rd in yoyo to guarantee a 3rd overall finish. 

I've actually never ran CPU tasks (intentionally) on E@H before so I honestly do not know.

You'd be better off taking the time to dual boot all the hosts you can and running the GPUs on Linux with the Special App. You'll nearly double your output.

20 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

You'd be better off taking the time to dual boot all the hosts you can and running the GPUs on Linux with the Special App. You'll nearly double your output.

If any of them actually had GPUs I would 🙃

All the Windows servers are only that due to them being VMs on ESXi deployed via zero touch PXE other than the two 6242R servers which had OS's installed but have been sitting doing nothing for 1-2 years. I actually didn't know the Pent was on and joined after the second or third day, spend the next few days racking, adding ram sticks and installing Ubuntu on the actual physical not VM servers.

P.S. all my computers are public on every project, you'll see just how little GPUs I have 🥲

Ah, I assumed you had some GPU hosts running also. Well youve got time. Run CPU tasks on them, check how long they take to run and how many credits they are worth. Shouldn't be too hard for you to figure out which ones give the best PPD.

Link me to the host(s) after they've reported and validated tasks and I'll do the math for you if you need.

8 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Ah, I assumed you had some GPU hosts running also. Well youve got time. Run CPU tasks on them, check how long they take to run and how many credits they are worth. Shouldn't be too hard for you to figure out which ones give the best PPD.

Link me to the host(s) after they've reported and validated tasks and I'll do the math for you if you need.

Sure, happy to be the first idiot to run Einstein on CPU during the Pentathlon. Plus I'm a little curious to see what I have is equivalent to GPU wise.