Does HP like to get SUED? || HP is blocking third-party printer ink again...... ||

darknessblade
29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Unless you are printing photos it really doesn't matter. Good colour laser actually has excellent quality anyway, never been disappointed by my Ricoh. Used to have an actual photo printer with photo ink and paper etc but like.... it died and since it never got used I don't have one anymore.

Ricoh I think is one of the best corporate printers I've ever worked with, it's like the toyota of printers...just works (and I found the least fiddly drivers).  Although with that said, the only reason I print in color is when I need to print with graphics...at which point I do resort to ink-jet.

For corporate situations, color lasers can make sense (especially good ones), but unless someone is printing of lot of documents with color at home, I find that it's generally better with inkjet.  The cost for a decent color laser printer is just too much compared to what an inkjet is (with comparable quality).  I in general just have a b&w laser, that has cheap toner, then ink the colors.  To each their own though.

I really dislike HP's approach, having a pop-up initially fine, but the amount of nag-ware they are building into everything (and outright preventing) really needs to end.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

For corporate situations, color lasers can make sense (especially good ones), but unless someone is printing of lot of documents with color at home, I find that it's generally better with inkjet.  The cost for a decent color laser printer is just too much compared to what an inkjet is (with comparable quality).  I in general just have a b&w laser, that has cheap toner, then ink the colors.  To each their own though.

I don't remember how much mine cost but it's just a Ricoh small desktop one, also comes with actually full high (for a desktop printer) cartages which is still have never replaces like 5 years later. It's not the low cost of a Brother 2130 ($80 NZD) but it also wasn't more than $500 NZD either. Plus since it's network anything can print to it without having to share it from another device.

23 hours ago, leadeater said:

AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh nooooo, keep away. The horror!!

Haha anyway, they are actually fine. I just don't like when business try and buy lots of them rather than higher end ones that last longer and have network ports so they can be print cost tracked.

I don't actually know how much I use it (maybe a half dozen times every few months), but I know in the last decade I have only refilled it once and it still works exceptionally well for a $50 printer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

I don't actually know how much I use it (maybe a half dozen times every few months), but I know in the last decade I have only refilled it once and it still works exceptionally well for a $50 printer.

Threads like this always makes me question how much people actually print.

I only print maybe once or twice a year, and when I need to do that I just use the printer at work. I have an HP inkjet printer at home but it hasn't been used in years.

What do people actually print these days? I feel like everything is done digitally, although I guess that depends on where you live.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I only print maybe once or twice a year, and when I need to do that I just use the printer at work. I have an HP inkjet printer at home but it hasn't been used in years.

What do people actually print these days? I feel like everything is done digitally, although I guess that depends on where you live.

Work in construction/engineering, everything has to be hard copies or posted on job sites. Printing is required so everyone has access to it.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

22 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

TBH id say the proper way to fine companies is to size the fine so big that they just barely survive it.

"Sir, this is America, we don't do that sort of thing here."

I totally agree with you, but..well...this is America, we punish the poor and subsidize the rich.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

You're probably correct for most people, but we actually print enough in our house that I might need to drop my old inkjet and get a laser in the near future. Legal documents, tax forms, and school materials are some of the more common things that get printed fairly regularly.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

18 hours ago, leadeater said:

I don't remember how much mine cost but it's just a Ricoh small desktop one, also comes with actually full high (for a desktop printer) cartages which is still have never replaces like 5 years later. It's not the low cost of a Brother 2130 ($80 NZD) but it also wasn't more than $500 NZD either. Plus since it's network anything can print to it without having to share it from another device.

At least last time I looked, which is quite a while ago now, I could purchase about 5 inkjets for the cost of a laser; so for myself where an inkjet printer might last 5-6 years due to how little I print the added cost of the laser doesn't make practical sense (I print enough to not clog the nozzles but not enough to go through ink and inkjet even the cheap ones usually handle better than the lasers). 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't print too often, but when I do it's because I know I'll be somewhere without a laptop or I just need paper where I can write things down.  I find I do process information better when its printed and I am making modifications by hand.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Shipping labels for physical goods. At least until our postal service finally accepts a QR code at the shop and then prints the labels there.

Sometimes some technical documents, excerpts from datasheets that I like to make handwritten annotations on. Usually the printer at work is fine, though.

1 hour ago, Kid.Lazer said:

You're probably correct for most people, but we actually print enough in our house that I might need to drop my old inkjet and get a laser in the near future. Legal documents, tax forms, and school materials are some of the more common things that get printed fairly regularly.

I went laser specifically because I print so rarely. This way, I needn't be concerned with ink drying out, an clogging things up.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 3/12/2023 at 8:26 PM, leadeater said:

Can I first as why people are still using Ink printers and not laser?

Up front cost, you can get an ink printer for less than the 4 toners needed for a color laser. Hell it's sometimes cheaper to just buy another printer on sale than it is to buy new ink when it runs out.

23 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I went laser specifically because I print so rarely. This way, I needn't be concerned with ink drying out, an clogging things up.

Same. Basically some shipping labels, tax documents, and a form here or there.

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Up front cost

Thinking in short term aint a good idea. In the long run its cheaper to buy laser and use refilled cartridges (its ludicrous how expensive OEM cartridges have gotten, last time i bought one it was about 40€[not cheap but lasted a hell of a lot longer than any ink cartridge could without clogging up between prints], a few months back that one ran out, a new oem now costs 80€.... 🤬 )

54 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

This is very true. I print just often enough that I don't typically deal with dried out ink. I inherited this printer though, hence why I'm currently using an inkjet. If I were buying new today, I'd get a small laser printer with at least scanning capability.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

2 hours ago, miagisan said:

Work in construction/engineering, everything has to be hard copies or posted on job sites. Printing is required so everyone has access to it.

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough. 

I understand why some jobs requires you to print stuff out. For example my office has several printers, and I understand that on a construction site it's convenient to have stuff printed out. What I don't understand is people who have printers at home. 

Just now, LAwLz said:

What I don't understand is people who have printers at home. 

The same reason anybody has anything at home: convenience. I can print what I want, when I want. Just like owning a truck, or a pool, or anything that could be done by public options.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Just now, LAwLz said:

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough. 

I understand why some jobs requires you to print stuff out. For example my office has several printers, and I understand that on a construction site it's convenient to have stuff printed out. What I don't understand is people who have printers at home. 

i work around the clock, having jobs running 24/7. I visits job sites often. I print out permits, schedules, field paperwork, or anything else that needs to be printed for my field staff. 

My office is an hour away from my house, easier to remote into my work computer,  print out what I need and go to a jobsite/inspection than go to the office. I can go through a ream of paper every 2 weeks.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

24 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Up front cost, you can get an ink printer for less than the 4 toners needed for a color laser. Hell it's sometimes cheaper to just buy another printer on sale than it is to buy new ink when it runs out.

Everything depends on the situation really.  When you get to the point of needing to replace toner for color lasers I'd argue that most of the time it would be overall cheaper at that point.  Specifically toner cartridges can print a whole lot more pages per print than standard inkjets.

I think inkjet can make sense though if you only occasionally print; it's like in my case I print just enough not to really have clogs happen in my inkjet, yet I don't really print enough to care about the cost of ink.

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Thinking in short term aint a good idea. In the long run its cheaper to buy laser and use refilled cartridges (its ludicrous how expensive OEM cartridges have gotten, last time i bought one it was about 40€[not cheap but lasted a hell of a lot longer than any ink cartridge could without clogging up between prints], a few months back that one ran out, a new oem now costs 80€.... 🤬 )

It's going to depend on how often you print really.  I have had my printer now for about 5 years, and had no issues with clogging up (only occasionally printing sometimes once a year).  I have had to replace the ink on it once, but that only was $26 (none-oem) and I got 2 of each color and 3 black.  That will last me another 10+ years...at that stage I likely would be buying another printer anyways.

I've actually also had bad experiences with using refilled cartridges at work.  I've had one batch that was broken enough that the cartridge dumped a thick layer of toner onto the paper, so after a few pages before people looked at the print job it had completely destroyed the fuser (which cost $200 to replace), and required a thorough cleaning.

On 3/12/2023 at 2:56 PM, darknessblade said:

My thoughts

Does HP like to get sued or what?

Seems they actually get off from the legal abuse like it's a weird kind of S&M. 
I want no part of that boardroom meeting..... 😵

This is related to an older article in a thread I created some time ago and TBH, the thing about DRM itself is nothing new.

DRM printing paper.... How low can they go now? - Page 3 - Tech News - Linus Tech Tips

In this case it's about ink cartridges instead of printing labels - Just goes to show they've tried DRM crap before and will again no matter how this latest episode pans out.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

29 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

The same reason anybody has anything at home: convenience. I can print what I want, when I want. Just like owning a truck, or a pool, or anything that could be done by public options.

Yeah but my point is that I don't want to print anything. I don't understand what people need or want to print either. 

Especially not since this thread is full of people complaining about how their printers are annoying and/or doesn't work. 

I don't really see the convenience of having a printer when they are expensive, often doesn't work, and I rarely if ever need them. Especially when I and a lot of other people have access to good printers for free in those rare cases where they might be needed. 

30 minutes ago, miagisan said:

i work around the clock, having jobs running 24/7. I visits job sites often. I print out permits, schedules, field paperwork, or anything else that needs to be printed for my field staff. 

My office is an hour away from my house, easier to remote into my work computer,  print out what I need and go to a jobsite/inspection than go to the office. I can go through a ream of paper every 2 weeks.

Do you not have printers at the work site? All the construction sites I've been to have had printers there. 

Anyway, it might be good for you but it seems like a kind of niche thing. 

29 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah but my point is that I don't want to print anything. I don't understand what people need or want to print either.

I mean, good for you that you don't ever need to print. Some of us do. And if you haven't seen any reasons why, then you haven't been reading very well. I gave my own examples:

3 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Legal documents, tax forms, and school materials are some of the more common things that get printed fairly regularly.

29 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Especially when I and a lot of other people have access to good printers for free in those rare cases where they might be needed. 

This is true; I, myself, also have access to many printers at work which are also superior in quality. But, again, it's convenience. I don't have to wait until I go to work the next day. I can print it at home, immediately.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Especially not since this thread is full of people complaining about how their printers are annoying and/or doesn't work. 

I don't really see the convenience of having a printer when they are expensive, often doesn't work, and I rarely if ever need them. Especially when I and a lot of other people have access to good printers for free in those rare cases where they might be needed. 

Do you not have printers at the work site? All the construction sites I've been to have had printers there. 

Anyway, it might be good for you but it seems like a kind of niche thing. 

Still easier to do from home while relaxing in my PJs.  And I don't work in the field, I manage projects, a lot of report writing 

— Grumpy old man

19 hours ago, LAwLz said:

When I was doing more stuff with people with disabilities I found myself printing out applications, medical forms, and stuff for hospitals often enough to justify a printer at home.  Now most of the stuff we do is education related, color in, alphabet stuff for the kids, photo copying reports for doctors/school and my eldest like to draw and sketch so he has the A3 printer.   I use my laserjet for making circuit boards so I whilst I could send off to a PCB maker, it's actually better for me to prototype at home from start to finish (I find more mistakes before power on that way).  I also make labels and print out stickers for my PA gear.  Which is super handy when you have more than a few large road cases plus racks and bags. 

EDIT: and my new job is working in DEMO, so there is no printer there. But I find it very necessary to print out workshop manuals and wiring diagrams for the machines when carrying out repairs and maintenance, the phone would end up an inch thick in oil and grease if I had to pull it out while working.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/12/2023 at 3:56 PM, darknessblade said:

Does HP like to get sued or what?

I mean any lawsuit or fine is going to be an inconsequential amount of money that they just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. Unless penalties are such that it actually hurts their business they will continue with business as usual. HP wont face any road blocks in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have a printer at home. I would *NEVER* buy a HP printer because I saw this writing on the wall well over a decade ago. 

That said, that printer has been sitting in the same place for 3 years unplugged and buried by other things, because the only time I've printed anything in the last 15 years was legal things that I literately printed, signed, scanned and sometimes even shredded. That one ream of paper I bought nearly 20 years ago.