AMD’s Latest Radeon Driver Causing PC Boot Issues, BSODs, Corrupting Windows, & Forcing a Windows Reinstall/Reset (Updated)

and here I was waiting for this driver patiently... and now it's trash. God Damn it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

It was still up on their website when I posted earlier, but I'm pretty sure they pulled the launcher update cause it wasn't available for me either.

Check again on my side, and I agree. They seem to have pulled it... or at least for some GPUs.

Good! 

3 hours ago, divito said:

Didn't expect you to say something fallacious.

My software hasn't suggested an update, and still shows 22.11.2 as the most up to date.

Looks like I was the unlucky one to have check for updates early. Seem that they have pulled it or excluded it for some GPUs.

That said, what I do want to say, that I am angry because it is not the only issue. I feel like with AMD, is that once you have drivers that work... just don't touch it. While with Nvidia, the worst you get 99% of the time, is some specific game has some performance issue or crashes... not the end of the world. In AMD case, this is serious downtime. In the sense that unexpectedly affects a portion of your day, then you need to diagnostic it, then you need to try and play with the driver settings, then when all fails, you DDU the thing and install back the older drivers. That is 1h+ lost.

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I do not envy having to be a software dev that has to build a graphics drive for a variety of graphics cards that are expected to run in literally infinite combinations/variations of systems. If you think about it, its kind of an insane ask.

Kind of the whole point of the PC platform, to be fair.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

and here I was waiting for this driver patiently... and now it's trash. God Damn it.

but why were you waiting for it, honest question? i avoid driver updates like the plague ... always issues... (like every other) 

Spoiler

and I have a Nvidia gpu lol

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

38 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Kind of the whole point of the PC platform, to be fair.

idk, while pc platform has advantages obviously, its also too fractioned and not very modern. 

I just recently discussed this, how many things go into drivers, competing standards,  apis, etc... it works, but it could be better and ultimately holds back graphical advancements due to complexity etc

Or want unified memory?  Nope! (because *reasons*)

Or sell your old games? Nopeeee! (because "gaben")

Etc

The list is long tbh.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

idk, while pc platform has advantages obviously, its also too fractioned and not very modern. 

I just recently discussed this, how many things go into drivers, competing standards,  apis, etc... it works, but it could be better and ultimately holds back graphical advancements due to complexity etc

Or want unified memory?  Nope! (because *reasons*)

Or sell your old games? Nopeeee! (because "gaben")

Etc

The list is long tbh.

There also isn't a replacement for the PC platform either. Smart devices are far too closed-off for example (in terms of both software and hardware), and solutions such as what Apple pursues for Mac doesn't offer a lot of scalability and flexibility for enthusiasts. If I want a home file server, for example, it is an easy job to retrofit my old desktop to handle it for only the cost of the drives, and a bit of time to configure FreeNAS. It's also an easy matter to drop in a faster GPU, for substantially cheaper than the cost of a console, to run my games at 4K if I so choose. I've a laptop from 2010 currently running the latest Windows 10 version, and would certainly be up to running the latest (insert Linux distro here) versions as well. Quite unheard of in any smart devices to receive updates for so long, and allows me to keep old hardware going.

While the PC platform certainly isn't perfect, I feel the flexibility offered is indispensable and worth the tradeoffs.

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, mdk777 said:

Holy mother of everything.....I was using graphics cards before you were born.

Yeah, I know how they work.

I was using graphics cards for numerical computation before bitcoin existed.

Please, tell me how many lines of code you wrote on punch cards.

Don't feed the troll. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Devil's advocate~my 5600xt runs lovely with this driver, few drivers ago was trash though, this one atleast let's me set power to max without resetting power failure every other startup, and I can run the OC bios without it freaking mid game like on early last year drivers 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

39 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There also isn't a replacement for the PC platform either. Smart devices are far too closed-off for example (in terms of both software and hardware), and solutions such as what Apple pursues for Mac doesn't offer a lot of scalability and flexibility for enthusiasts. If I want a home file server, for example, it is an easy job to retrofit my old desktop to handle it for only the cost of the drives, and a bit of time to configure FreeNAS. It's also an easy matter to drop in a faster GPU, for substantially cheaper than the cost of a console, to run my games at 4K if I so choose. I've a laptop from 2010 currently running the latest Windows 10 version, and would certainly be up to running the latest (insert Linux distro here) versions as well. Quite unheard of in any smart devices to receive updates for so long, and allows me to keep old hardware going.

While the PC platform certainly isn't perfect, I feel the flexibility offered is indispensable and worth the tradeoffs.

yeah, all true, im just saying there's a lot of stagnation actually,  things get faster but not really better, or very slowly...  like it feels the hardware is actually miles ahead of the software. 

As for gaming specifically,  it really seems consoles take the lead, pc is following whatever they do... its limiting,  its not innovative.  like yes, it works, it does what it says, but i feel that's not enough long-term. 

And you're right there isnt an alternative,  but that can obviously change,  who knows if for the better.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, all true, im just saying there's a lot of stagnation actually,  things get faster but not really better, or very slowly...  like it feels the hardware is actually miles ahead of the software. 

As for gaming specifically,  it really seems consoles take the lead, pc is following whatever they do... its limiting,  its not innovative.  like yes, it works, it does what it says, but i feel that's not enough long-term. 

And you're right there isnt an alternative,  but that can obviously change,  who knows if for the better.  

For gaming, I generally play mostly older titles, of which, PC offers me a lot more than consoles, owing to having access to an immense back catalogue of titles, and easy access to emulation. Often, if someone is looking to only play leading-edge titles though, I often recommend consoles over PC (outside specific edge cases, such as one person I know that is really into flight sims).

The PC gaming market certainly shows some contradictions. On one hand, getting into it is becoming an increasingly hostile endeavor, owing to highly elevated prices, and lack of innovation. On the other hand, there have been far more console ports, and greater investment by developers into the PC platform. So it's impossible to tell how the platform will fare in the future.

My eyes see the past…

I installed the driver no issues, back to my monster profile OC 355w , did a Port royal just to check and actually got better scores by 500 points, I do so much **** to the drivers with Drivers restart and changing PPTs and no issues. Always disable win to be able to change drivers and it will be ok. 

15 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

You're willing to spend more because of one bad driver?

not sure why you're surprised. people have boycotted other tech companies for less.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

but why were you waiting for it, honest question? i avoid driver updates like the plague ... always issues... (like every other) 

There some known issues with the 6000 series and I'm experiencing them. Plus, I do want the framerate increase in Hogwarts Legacy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

AMD user:  I'm tired of crappy drivers and I'm switching to Nvidia

Nvidia user:  I'm tired of crappy drivers and I'm switching to AMD

Intel user in 2 years:  I can't believe these drivers are still crap, I'm switching to AMD or Nvidia

Owner of a new TV: I can't believe they shipped this with so many bugs

Owner of a new Tesla:  I can't believe they still haven't fixed these bugs

Owner of a new IOT device:  I can't believe how buggy this crap is

Owner of a new child:  I can't believe how buggy this is! 🙂

Everyone needs to come down off their rage horse and a take a long look at the "other brand".  There are just as many threads dealing with Nvidia problems as AMD, and just as many bugs that have persisted for years.  Granted some bugs are more annoying than others, but the other brand is no angel.  Just accept that we live in the age of, good enough, that'll do, we'll fix it later, and the customer will test it for us.

If your waiting for the next driver to fix your problems, you're going to be waiting a long long long time.  The biggest problem facing AMD and Nvidia is the nightmare called Windows.   Windows 10 and 11 and have become a cluster F of patches and updates dating back to Vista.. The code is old, sloppy, and very inefficient..  Trying to write a GPU driver for Windows has to be a Dev's worst nightmare, then you add in games that are just as sloppy and ship unfinished, and we're asking the impossible. There's just no way they can create a driver that works for everyone, by fixing 10 problems they create 10 more.  Unless MS designs a new modern OS from the ground up and game developers start taking some pride in their work, these problems are here to stay and there's not a damn thing they can do about it. 

5 minutes ago, VladTheImpaler said:

Owner of a new Tesla:  I can't believe they still haven't fixed these bugs

paying 5 years in advance for "auto drive" that never arrives. $15,000 for a promise of something that may or may not ever arrive in the future??

Yeah, not great example.

I don't know how they haven't been sued out of existence for fraud. 

it all has to do with the pcibus driver....and its random as hell if you get effected or not. even the factory reset dont help....but if it screws up bad it changes your boot order in bios which kills your install.

my friend who has an identical build as me installed fine. me i had to manually reinstall the pcibus driver. but its fine now (my boot order didnt change thank god)

7 hours ago, mdk777 said:

paying 5 years in advance for "auto drive" that never arrives

I really hope this never arrives. If it do arrive no road will be safe. 😬

8 hours ago, mdk777 said:

paying 5 years in advance for "auto drive" that never arrives. $15,000 for a promise of something that may or may not ever arrive in the future??

Yeah, not great example.

I don't know how they haven't been sued out of existence for fraud. 

Funny you mention that.. Tesla just issued a recall of 365k cars that use the driver assist, after the NHTSA said it was involved in 273 crashes.

The driver has shown up as an update for me - and the persistent issue of driver timeouts (preceded by significant video corruption) when alt-tabbing between games and YT videos in Chromium based browsers is still unfixed and listed as a known issue. I have lost track of how many drivers I've used since I got my 6700XT partway through last year. But it was an issue with all of them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The driver has shown up as an update for me - and the persistent issue of driver timeouts (preceded by significant video corruption) when alt-tabbing between games and YT videos in Chromium based browsers is still unfixed and listed as a known issue. I have lost track of how many drivers I've used since I got my 6700XT partway through last year. But it was an issue with all of them.

I don't get the video corruption, the drivers just randomly reset once a day and the screen goes black for about 2 minutes as they do so.

5 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

I don't get the video corruption, the drivers just randomly reset once a day and the screen goes black for about 2 minutes as they do so.

Probably still part of the same problem - games that I'm running at the time aren't actually affected then the screen goes black due to the timeout.

So far the drivers for my 6700XT are worse than the ones for my Radeon VE through 9200 (and probably 9550 if it arrives working).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 2/17/2023 at 1:54 AM, GoodBytes said:

I feel like with AMD, is that once you have drivers that work... just don't touch it.

That was pretty much my experience owning an AMD card after they moved away from Catalyst Control Center.

Catalyst Control Center worked really well and was stable, it did have issues but not as bad.

The main issues were related to underscan and HDMI Audio, though those were fixed in recent Catalyst Control Center updates.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:28 PM, VladTheImpaler said:

Nvidia user:  I'm tired of crappy drivers and I'm switching to AMD

I use NVIDIA and have no issues...

My experience with NVIDIA drivers is rock solid.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

The amount of AMD drivers having problems to the point where I lost count is starting to get ridiculous. Imagine you've help a few of your friends configured a new gaming build, since they trust you with your tech knowledge and this thing happens. Boy did AMD ruined your tech reputation. Lesson here is, if you're building it yourself then pick whatever you want, where if anything goes wrong, you can troubleshoot it yourself. Building it for your friends and don't want to deal with this driver problems, go with Nvidia.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list