AMD’s Latest Radeon Driver Causing PC Boot Issues, BSODs, Corrupting Windows, & Forcing a Windows Reinstall/Reset (Updated)

Summary

AMD’s latest Adrenalin 23.2.1 driver is apparently crashing Windows and causing serious boot issues. The most current update appears to be crashing PCs, bricking Windows installs, sending users error messages that exclaim that the system has an "inaccessible boot drive" error; reports several users from the ComputerBase forums and Twitter.

AMD-Driver-Issues.thumb.png.2b6485ced4df1285c742a4fed5e43554.png

Quotes

Many users have reported corruption of their Windows installation, forcing them to reinstall or reset their operating system. We tried the driver ourselves and faced the same problem. Upon installing the Adrenalin Edition 23.2.1 driver, Windows initiates a system restart from which it never quite boots up. We ran into a BSOD that throws the “Inaccessible Boot Drive” error. It took a system restore and a complete reinstallation of the Radeon drivers using DDU to eliminate the problem.

Twitter user @PrepperAssasin stated that the driver “Crashed my whole PC, now I have to set up Windows again from scratch.” Another user, @flyinghyur, lamented that the driver “bricked my Windows install.”

Users are contacting AMD Radeon's Twitter account to thank the company for destroying their systems. However, all is not lost, as CapFrameX has updated users on what happened to consumers' PCs. The new AMD Adrenalin 23.2.1 driver reportedly alters the BIOS settings and changes the boot options to make the system crash. As a cautionary measure, users should not be so quick to reinstall the operating system on their computer but to check the boot settings and change the option back to the previous settings.

My thoughts

This is really sad, as I know AMD Radeon users were waiting almost two months for a driver update for Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs and older. Now the update finally arrives and you have to deal with this issue. There are users who are claiming no problems installing this driver, but then again, there are plenty who are claiming they are experiencing these issues. It appears CapFrameX discovered that the driver could be changing BIOS settings, such as boot options; leading to the crashes and/or boot problems users have been describing. It's recommended if you are experiencing these issues after installing the new Adrenalin 23.2.1 driver, to check your BIOS settings before resorting to reinstalling Windows. AMD hasn't commented yet or added any information about the current issue. Hopefully, it's not too long before AMD addresses this issue and provides a solution.   

Sources

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/latest-amd-radeon-driver-causing-bsod-corrupting-windows-forcing-a-reinstall-reset/

https://wccftech.com/latest-amd-radeon-graphics-drivers-reportedly-causing-pc-boot-issues-corrupting-windows/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-driver-windows-crashing-boot-problems/

Update

Summary

AMD has issued a warning to users that updating the Radeon GPU drivers could cause damage to Windows installations. The company stated that during the Radeon Adrenalin software update, if users use the 'Factory reset' option and a Windows installation is taking place at the same time, Windows could become corrupted.

Quotes

“We have reproduced an issue that can occur in an extremely small number of instances if a PC update occurs during the installation of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition, and we are actively investigating. We recommend users ensure all system updates are applied or paused before installing the driver, and that the “Factory Reset” option is unchecked during the AMD driver installation process. We are committed to resolve issues as quickly as possible and strongly encourage users to submit issues with AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition via the Bug Report Tool.”

— AMD

My thoughts

This is good that AMD acknowledges this issue and is working towards a solution. It's funny because at the time, certain people were complaining that the person covering the issue was simply badmouthing AMD and the issues weren't real. Now here AMD is clearly saying that the issue is real, and offers a workaround to prevent it from happening. Hopefully, they resolve this issue with a fix.

Sources

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-warns-of-potential-windows-corruption-when-updating-radeon-gpu-drivers.html

https://wccftech.com/amd-acknowledges-radeon-driver-bug-that-can-mess-up-your-windows-os-working-on-fix/

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-admits-a-very-rare-radeon-driver-bug-may-corrupt-windows-installations

I remember an AMD motherboard chipset driver update being pushed automatically by Windows Update that did the same thing.  Fun times.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-amd-driver-causing-pcs-not-to-boot/

Had to go into command prompt in windows repair to fix it.

At least that version was only part of the newest driver release thing and have not been pushed to the recommended release. (AMD differentiate between the two).

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Think i'll wait for the amernimezone modded version of this driver, happy with the version ive got installed from them currently.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Great now i know why my system is acting weird.... i updated to that new driver for my rx 6700xt gpu and since then i have a permanent high cpu core temperature and a always 100% fan speed of the cpu cooler... that actually don't get the temperature even down?!? On windows it's about 80°C all the time in idle on cpu core temp while in bios it's about 50°C cpu core temp on idle befour it was around 20°C on bios Cpu core temp idle and around 40°C on windows idle CPU core temp (befour that new driver)

Made a downgrade to the version befour still the same issue.. i guess i will have to look in my bios if that driver messed up something else there... and replace the thermal paste if needed...

Oh and the best thing till now i found out that the system will not go in idle at all it will always stay as if you moved the mouse to get it back out of hibernation or as if it has no screensaver...

I'll just keep on dealing with constant driver timeouts when using HW decoding...I avoided re-installing Windows when I got my first Gen 4.0 SSD, and I'm not going to risk it now.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Was fine for me. Also updated Windows too same day.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I don't have these issues, but what I do have is the loss of DisplayPort 1.4 DCP, and HDMI 2.1. Meaning my main monitor on DP is limited to 95Hz at 4K (should be 4K 144Hz), and second monitor on HDMI 2.1 is limited to 4K 60Hz with color compression (should be 4K 120Hz with color compression or 4K 60Hz with full colors, no compression).

Just a note, I did try a clean install of the drivers as well.

Rolling back the drivers fixed the issue.

14 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Summary

AMD’s latest Adrenalin 23.2.1 driver is apparently crashing Windows and causing serious boot issues. The most current update appears to be crashing PCs, bricking Windows installs, sending users error messages that exclaim that the system has an "inaccessible boot drive" error; reports several users from the ComputerBase forums and Twitter.

AMD-Driver-Issues.thumb.png.2b6485ced4df1285c742a4fed5e43554.png

Quotes

My thoughts

This is really sad, as I know AMD Radeon users were waiting almost two months for a driver update for Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs and older. Now the update finally arrives and you have to deal with this issue. There are users who are claiming no problems installing this driver, but then again, there are plenty who are claiming they are experiencing these issues. It appears CapFrameX discovered that the driver could be changing BIOS settings, such as boot options; leading to the crashes and/or boot problems users have been describing. It's recommended if you are experiencing these issues after installing the new Adrenalin 23.2.1 driver, to check your BIOS settings before resorting to reinstalling Windows. AMD hasn't commented yet or added any information about the current issue. Hopefully, it's not too long before AMD addresses this issue and provides a solution.   

Sources

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/latest-amd-radeon-driver-causing-bsod-corrupting-windows-forcing-a-reinstall-reset/

https://wccftech.com/latest-amd-radeon-graphics-drivers-reportedly-causing-pc-boot-issues-corrupting-windows/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-driver-windows-crashing-boot-problems/

Oh my, that's why I don't update, unless there's something cool, even then ill still wait to hear about any issues

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Don't have any issues yet after updating yesterday with a clean install while installing. Also updated BIOS yesterday for my Dark Hero to 4402 and had a crash with that, but it was due to CPU OC settings. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Huh, I think they pulled the update from the launcher because I just went into adrenalin and it's not showing it even though recommended and optional updates are on. Still up on the website though.

13 hours ago, fade said:

I remember an AMD motherboard chipset driver update being pushed automatically by Windows Update that did the same thing.  Fun times.

Windows update is pretty bad. I had an issue with an Intel ME driver, and only my OEM (Acer) one worked perfectly.

But damned Windows insisted on updating the known good driver with the bad one...

Removing and reinstalling was a chore, Windows asked why I was doing that, and even then, instead of flagging that driver as bad, they kept pushing it.

I have a 7900xt. I upgraded like I usually do with new drivers.

It did cause screen freeze in my game.

Hence I rolled back to the previous driver that worked great.

Like many here, I was surprised that they would push out a new driver that had such obvious issues.

So, just sharing that this update is buggy across the board, and not just for older graphics cards. 

2 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Windows update is pretty bad. I had an issue with an Intel ME driver, and only my OEM (Acer) one worked perfectly.

But damned Windows insisted on updating the known good driver with the bad one...

Removing and reinstalling was a chore, Windows asked why I was doing that, and even then, instead of flagging that driver as bad, they kept pushing it.

Sounds ilke ACER's fault to me, why are they making customisations that the stock Intel driver can't deal with, and not updating their firmware to deal with more modern drivers?

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

21 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Sounds ilke ACER's fault to me, why are they making customisations that the stock Intel driver can't deal with, and not updating their firmware to deal with more modern drivers?

Well, Acer's drivers worked perfectly. The ones downloaded directly from Intel worked fine too (for ME, graphics and thermal management. The Intel Camera drivers didn't work at all for some reason).

The ones shipped by Microsoft were the problem. Borked pretty much everything.

I gave up and completely disabled Windows update on that particular 2-in-1. WSUS offline + drivers from OEM works just fine.

I do not envy having to be a software dev that has to build a graphics drive for a variety of graphics cards that are expected to run in literally infinite combinations/variations of systems. If you think about it, its kind of an insane ask.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I do not envy having to be a software dev that has to build a graphics drive for a variety of graphics cards that are expected to run in literally infinite combinations/variations of systems. If you think about it, its kind of an insane ask.

They should make versions based on category, Like Gen, Base platform AMD/intel, or atleast have recommendation of version based on config 

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Just now, Ripred said:

They should make versions based on category, Like Gen, Base platform AMD/intel, or atleast have recommendation of version based on config 

Unfortunately it's not just "AMD/Intel", each respective manufacturer has hundreds of chipsets, even just from the last decade, that all are different. 

image.png.9104b3c33ec68a8e4faafc3c32f484f5.png

Y'all are getting updates?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

44 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They are extensive processes that can be made to validate drivers (and software). AMD clearly doesn't have the QA team to handle this. I could understand back when AMD was in the financial red as their GPUs and CPUs where just not selling. But now they are, as they are able to make compelling products, and that has been for a number of years now. There is no improvement on those front, meaning that the company is not caring about quality.

Too busy maximizing profits instead of focusing on quality. Too scared to face shareholders on the importance of quality for long term success of the company.

20 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Unfortunately it's not just "AMD/Intel", each respective manufacturer has hundreds of chipsets, even just from the last decade, that all are different. 

Right, not suggesting they have something for each and every chip, but maybe a recommendation or a little spreadsheet, definitely cant cover everything and config but atleast is this driver or that one known to be stable with x manufacturer, generation, or maybe this driver is known to have issues using x chipset or brand(of course this would also take some cooperation from the users to give there config list when reporting issues) so said information could be added to said spreadsheet lol...that being said probably hopeless lol  

Just now, GoodBytes said:

They are extensive processes that can be made to validate drivers. AMD clearly doesn't have the QA team to handle this. I could understand back when AMD was in the financial red as their GPUs and CPUs where just not selling. But now they are, as they are able to make compelling products, and that has been for a number of years now. There is no improvement on those front, meaning that the company is not caring about quality.

I've worked in manufacturing for a long time, very few ceo's/presidents care about end quality beyond recall of an entire run affecting their end margins (don't ever fly 737 max if you can help it) AMD is stacking cash now and the majority of the end users are satisfied so Quality control will be overlooked because why invest into the only department in the chain that doesn't add value

But a nice spreadsheet of issues reported by users who share there system configs setup to auto populate a little checkmark system for working config and not working config shouldn't be unreasonable, especially since such a thing must already exist within the driver development department or they would be able to support anything more than a few years old