What did people used to be online on in 2001?

VirusDumb

Today I was listening this Blink 182 album and this song came up 

It mentions "I saw you online" but it didn't mention where, unfortunately I was born wayy after this came out and the oldest site I know is my space which also came out after this song

Various instant messenger services.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I miss the AOL chatroom and spamming the sound commands 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Various instant messenger services.

Ah, the golden years of IM. Trillian was my jam.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Depending on how far you want to go back, MainFrame dumb terminals had options to see who was using the MainFrame at the time, and you could send messages to them (not real-time like an IM, but more like an e.mail/IM hybrid)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

mIRC, ICQ (ohhh somebody stole my icq number, was like a phone number, MUCH better than skype messenger or what so ever)

Data wise i think i was on dual ISDN dialup so 128Kbit, was on X2 US robotics modem before which actually was a different protocol than the 55.6k normal modems..

we had people that had high speed lines in at the time, in like dormitories universities and so on.. which was often 2mbit connections, i did get my first high speed line at some point back then i am not sure about the speed though. it was over cable, and my guess it is was around 2mbit.. the upload was 512kbit for a long time, then i went to study engineering, and we were on something called "forskernet" which was a fiber backbone 21 years ago. it was extremely high speed, but in reality most dorms got around 2mbit capped, those dorms at the technical university had 20+ 

MSN, some file share software and games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

Today I was listening this Blink 182 album and this song came up 

It mentions "I saw you online" but it didn't mention where, unfortunately I was born wayy after this came out and the oldest site I know is my space which also came out after this song

Depending on the exact year this song came out, most likely it was AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), Yahoo Instant Messenger, or MSN Messenger (basically "Hotmail"/Microsoft messenger). Then you had the more niche platforms, IRC and ICQ, plus actual BB Forums, etc.

That song came out 2001 or so? I'd say most people were using MSN Messenger by 2001.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

hmm games 4 all. waraz , msn, napster

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I was studying IT in 2001, spent most of my time on message boards and yahoo/MSN messenger. Also spent lots of time on the SMS text sites as I was constantly running out of credit on my phone.

Man I feel old...

I think it depends on what country you were in what was the prevailing platform. Where I'm at it was ICQ, MSN, IRC (mostly guys), a plethora of sites with browser based chat rooms and over here Lunarstorm (Basically Facebook before there was a Facebook) and various internet forums. 

at first 56k dialup on a flatrate, later 768k ADSL flat...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

2001 would’ve been a lot of very early social media but closer to how we see it today rather than it’s precursor of message boards.

Still a lot of that, personal websites and message boards, older messaging like irc being commonplace still. But by that point stuff like instant messenger applications were the norm, and they tended to link to lots of other sites to create a sort of single site ecosystem. Yahoo messenger involved yahoo avatars, being a vague precursor to social media profile pages, which then also linked to yahoo answers and your yahoo mail. Apply that same concept to several other services that all did the same thing. AOL had one for AIM with the messenger interacting with other software and features in the AOL space, and later (I think 2005/2006ish) introduced a social profile webpage for users.

What killed all that stuff was MySpace and Facebook took all of what everyone else was doing and consolidated it from the start. 

Now back into the very early 2000’s era, beyond that kind of segmented social networking and instant messengers, you also had conventional forums. Honestly not even that far away from modern forums like this one based on xenforo stuff. This is not a new concept, it’s just a bit more refined. Oldschool forums have nearly the same features as you see here just a little rough to handle. Forums were distinctly different from message boards in having dedicated sub boards, accounts and profiles. You also started to see the dawn of image hosting sites, Funnyjunk being one that started in 2001 and 4chan starting in 2003.

You can still see some ancient forums or repurposed forums, things like the VCF forum was originally sourced from another vintage pc groups website which goes back to 1997/1998, then fully adapted to the vintage computer forum in 2004 but generally it was the same as it was years prior, and even to this day looks like it’s from at least 2004.

2001 or that era in general isn’t too far away from what we have now.

Just for context, a full version of Habbo Hotel was launched in 2001 after its short beta test period.

The original RuneScape came out in 2001.

Online gaming for the Dreamcast and PS2 was a thing in 2001, for both mainstream titles and web browser functionality.

Most of the internet looked like this:

1B9DD643-DB80-4BFA-A9CD-33DB6FC6F44A.png.48048952d72e16db78bed47abd4840d0.png

There is beauty in simplicity which leaves me looking back on this era fondly.

Here is a machine i own, a thinkpad S30 from 2001, browsing the internet 

BD1B2208-4379-4A41-9858-1C48B4306B60.thumb.jpeg.d6492d8d640fb3b5c9e89957276892d3.jpeg

in this case the thinkpad general thread on /g/

And this isn’t too different from how this would be 20+ years ago, it would pretty much look the same as it does there.

9 minutes ago, 8tg said:

There is beauty in simplicity which leaves me looking back on this era fondly.

I don't know if this is just a poor memory thing, but I never seem to remember getting caught in a loop or not being able to go back a page on the older websites, it was like they were only a few pages deep and everything was within 3 clicks of the default.htm.   Nowadays people seem to place design above access and I often find my self doing donuts through the same three pages not being able to find the information I need.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Mostly good old MSN Messenger, and ICQ a few years earlier.

MAIN PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 Patriot Viper 4 3200 | GPU: XFX RX580 4Gb GTS | Case: Sharkoon S25-W | Storage: M.2 NVME Adata Gammix S10 128Gb + SATA SSD WD Blue 1Tb | ODD: LG GH24NSD1 | PSU: Seasonic Core GM-500 | Display: AOC I2490PXQU | Cooler: Wraith Stealth | Keyboard: Logitech K120 | Mouse: Logitech B100 | Sound: the usual integrated Realtek | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

RETRO PC: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M | RAM: 2Gb DDR 800 | GPU: ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb | Case: Tacens Anima AC4500 | Storage: IDE WD Blue 80Gb + IDE DVD-RW drive + floppy drive | Sound: Terratec 128i ESS Solo-1 PCI | OS: Windows 98 SE + Windows XP SP3 + Linux Bionic Pup 32
HTPC: CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | Motherboard: AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 G.Skill Aegis 3200 | Case: Aerocool CS-101 | Storage: SATA SSD Silicon Power A55 256Gb | ODD: LG blu-ray WH14NS40 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

damn kids making me feel old 😂

Anyway we would mostly chat on MSN or AOL messengers after school. also download songs that were usually a virus from limewire that would take about 8 hours to download 1 freaking song not even an album 1 damn song. oh the days of dialup and 56k modems lol

Also I'm super confused about what the internet says about myspace. because i graduated HS in 2003 and we used myspace for at least senior year and I'm pretty sure Jr year too but the internet claims it was founded in Aug of 2003 which is after i graduated so that cant be right

2 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

damn kids making me feel old 😂

Anyway we would mostly chat on MSN or AOL messengers after school. also download songs that were usually a virus from limewire that would take about 8 hours to download 1 freaking song not even an album 1 damn song. oh the days of dialup and 56k modems lol

I remember the old days of downloading individual songs.

Or, downloading pirated copies of Stargate SG-1, but since our internet was so garbage, I'd download a 20MB copy of the episode (Yes... that's 20MB for a friggin 45 minute long TV show... and yes, the quality was as bad as that implies... the title screen and the WOOSH was just a pixel blur mess).

2 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Also I'm super confused about what the internet says about myspace. because i graduated HS in 2003 and we used myspace for at least senior year and I'm pretty sure Jr year too but the internet claims it was founded in Aug of 2003 which is after i graduated so that cant be right

This might be an example of a false memory (Such as "Luke, I am your father" from TESB - many people swear they heard this line in the movie theatre and think it got changed in subsequent releases... nope, they just remember wrong).

More than likely you are thinking of a different time frame (maybe you went to College and used MySpace there?) or you're thinking of some other platform.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

20 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I remember the old days of downloading individual songs.

Or, downloading pirated copies of Stargate SG-1, but since our internet was so garbage, I'd download a 20MB copy of the episode (Yes... that's 20MB for a friggin 45 minute long TV show... and yes, the quality was as bad as that implies... the title screen and the WOOSH was just a pixel blur mess).

This might be an example of a false memory (Such as "Luke, I am your father" from TESB - many people swear they heard this line in the movie theatre and think it got changed in subsequent releases... nope, they just remember wrong).

More than likely you are thinking of a different time frame (maybe you went to College and used MySpace there?) or you're thinking of some other platform.

never went to college, and i distinctly remember using the school library computer to use myspace. but i don't recall any myspace type sites before that time.

MSN Messenger, AIM, ICQ and mIRC. That's how I could tell if someone was online back then.