Dell doesn't want to sell you a computer

churn

Summary

Dell is auto canceling your orders if you order too many items from them. It seems very odd when they even have a credit on the American Express Business Platinum credit card. A small business with technology needs is likely to need various tech items on a regular basis. Does Dell hate money?

Quotes

New reports indicate that Dell.com consumer accounts might have a limit of placing 6 orders every 6 months

My thoughts

It seems counter intuitive to try and partner with small business owners to service their technology needs then refuse to sell them technology. If I need a few laptops for work and I have this credit I'd gladly look at Dell, in particular when they are trying to advertise to me with a perk of a credit card. But the frustration of them saying you have this credit but we are going to cancel your orders because you ordered too much seems counter intuitive. Worst of all they seem to silently cancel, aka not give you a notice that we canceled your order. If I need new laptops for new hires, place an order then 2 weeks later I check the order because they never arrived because they decided to cancel and not tell me that seems absurd. I'd understand if I ordered something and they were out of stock and sent me an email, but to just be like we don't want your business and we are giving you the silent treatment seems extra petty

Sources

https://milestomemories.com/dell-order-issues/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/reports-dell-consumer-accounts-may-have-limit-of-6-orders-per-6-months/

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

If you are a business then go through a Dell partner...

Dell partnered with Amex and Amex provides products to small businesses.

This is consumer accounts after all...it'd help cut back on potential scalpers and fraudulent purchases (aka bought with stolen cards etc).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So according to the sources it's basically dell determining that domestic consumers are considered resellers if they make more than 5 orders in any one rolling 6 month period.  Which seems reasonable to me as most domestic consumers don't buy more than 12 times a year from the one seller.

If you are running a business then you make a business account with them so they know you are buying stock for a business and not private, it seems using an Amex Platinum card is not automatically considered business (which makes sense given the payment attributes are different too often whilst still legitimate).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, churn said:

Amex isn't a Dell solutions partner. A Dell partner is an IT services company that offers Dell solutions.

https://www.delltechnologies.com/partner/en-nz/partner/find-a-partner.htm

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

it seems using an Amex Platinum card is not automatically considered business (which makes sense given the payment attributes are different too often whilst still legitimate).

It's just a credit kickback deal between a business and a credit card provider. The intention seems quite clear to me, it's for small business making only a few purchases. 

The Amex aspect of this seems to be unrelated to the issue of Dell's policies, from reading the sources it's as simple as regular Dell accounts have order limits, makes sense.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Amex isn't a Dell solutions partner. A Dell partner is an IT services company that offers Dell solutions.

Partners are basically anyone you buy a Dell Computer from on a B2B basis, so places like Ingram Micro if you want the computer yourself, or Rackspace if you want a server hosted with them.

The feeling here is that Dell limiting the individual purchases is because buying 5 computers for your entire family once a year is somehow "Reasonable", but someone buying 5 computers every month, is probably not doing it under a philanthropical cause and is more likely someone reselling it under their own value-added service.

Of course the obvious reason for this is that Dell wants you to buy directly from them, in bulk.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:27 AM, Kisai said:

Of course the obvious reason for this is that Dell wants you to buy directly from them, in bulk.

Doubt it, consumer accounts buying off the website is direct purchase and Dell's business model is setup primarily for that. An actual reseller would be getting computers at a lower cost so it's actually worse for Dell.

If anyone really wants to buy in larger volumes like this going through a Dell partner is the proper way to do it.

The middle ground solution would be having actual business accounts on the Dell website with higher limits, but still low enough to push larger volume customers through partners where Dell wants them to go through. One of the reasons why OEM/ODM like Dell want business customers to go through partners is to make sure they are getting proper advice on what to purchase and better lifecycle support.

Edited by leadeater

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's just a credit kickback deal between a business and a credit card provider. The intention seems quite clear to me, it's for small business making only a few purchases. 

The Amex aspect of this seems to be unrelated to the issue of Dell's policies, from reading the sources it's as simple as regular Dell accounts have order limits, makes sense.

Amex did partner with Dell

https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/detail/shop-dell/business-platinum

Besides Dell Partner is usually worse pricing then Dell Consumer unless you are doing massive volume like a government entity or actually buying volume. Buying 5-6 items a year isn't volume.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Partners are basically anyone you buy a Dell Computer from on a B2B basis, so places like Ingram Micro if you want the computer yourself, or Rackspace if you want a server hosted with them.

The feeling here is that Dell limiting the individual purchases is because buying 5 computers for your entire family once a year is somehow "Reasonable", but someone buying 5 computers every month, is probably not doing it under a philanthropical cause and is more likely someone reselling it under their own value-added service.

like a small business that you would advertise to through a credit card perk?

10 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Dell is hopeless, trying to buy a poweredge at work. The second I pick a higher TDP CPU they no longer allow a nvme backplane or GPU support.... like WTF.

I believe many years ago I had issues buying a PowerEdge for home.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Doubt it, consumer accounts buying off the website is direct purchase and Dell's business model is setup primarily for that. An actual reseller would be getting computers at a lower cost so it's actually worse for Dell.

If anyone really wants to buy in larger volumes like this going through a Dell partner is the proper way to do it.

The middle ground solution would be having actual business accounts on the Dell website with higher limits, but still low enough to push larger volume customers through partners where Dell wants them to go through. One of the reasons why OEM/ODM like Dell want business customers to go through partners is to make sure they are getting proper advise on what to purchase and better lifecycle support.

I agree in regards to them probably getting better lifecycle support.

Then again, I've been at a company that purchased from Dell before in bulk (well not sure if 50+ computers is really consider bulk, to some it might).  We had a Dell rep for that purchase, but we also knew exactly what we wanted and what specialty components we needed put in.  Dell gets the benefit of doing Net 30/60/90 where it's paid by cheque instead of credit card.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons they are limiting it might be because it is a premium card service, as if those earn back 2-3% Dell might be charged 4-5% on that purchase.  There isn't exactly healthy profit margins with electronics to begin with, and if there is a higher percent I would totally understand why they would want to limit those purchase.

2 hours ago, churn said:

Amex did partner with Dell

https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/detail/shop-dell/business-platinum

Besides Dell Partner is usually worse pricing then Dell Consumer unless you are doing massive volume like a government entity or actually buying volume. Buying 5-6 items a year isn't volume.

Wrong kind of partner.

A Dell Partner is one who will sell you the Dell computer.  There is a partnership between Dell and Amex, but it's more of an use your credit card and get more % back or credits incentivizing the use of the Amex card while Dell gets the added traffic of being part of the program.

I do think the reason why it's likely limited to 6 is that anything more and you are likely buying for a business and there are separate business accounts for that.  There is also as I mentioned above things like Net 30 that they can do where it's pay by cheque or other means.  Credit cards, especially premium ones, are super expensive.

If you want to buy more than 6 from Dell itself, then create the proper Dell account...not the consumer one.  (The business account has other perks, like if you purchase enough having a rep from Dell)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

4 hours ago, churn said:

Buying 5-6 items a year isn't volume.

It isn't but 5-6 a year also wouldn't get the account flagged and order cancelled for exceeding order limits either.

4 hours ago, churn said:

That's not a Dell Partner. That's simply an business agreement with a credit card provider to give benefits to it's users.

A Dell Partner is a specific thing, it's not any business that's made some kind of deal with Dell. That's why I gave you the link I did, that is the portal you can search to find any company/business with Dell Partner status, Amex is not one. Amex isn't one because they are credit card company not an IT solution provider which is what the Dell Partner program is all about.

4 hours ago, churn said:

Besides Dell Partner is usually worse pricing then Dell Consumer unless you are doing massive volume like a government entity or actually buying volume

If you think you are getting bad pricing through a partner then it's simply them putting on a higher margin. You can get quotes from more than one and you can also contact Dell directly to discuss problems like this with them.

There are of course potential online only deals that Dell offers which they do for a reason, those should really only benefit a small business only buying a few times a year anyway.

I get that there is likely a gap to be filled between going to a Dell Partner or not which is why I said a Dell business account type with a higher purchase limit would help. It's just companies like Dell really like to have businesses talking to partners so they can get whatever marketing spiel it is that Dell want them to give. Personally I just ignore them or give them the run around, not that we buy a lot from Dell anyway but they sure try to get us to. 

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

It isn't but 5-6 a year also wouldn't get the account flagged and order cancelled for exceeding order limits either.

comment section of the doctor of credit link says otherwise. eg
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/reports-dell-consumer-accounts-may-have-limit-of-6-orders-per-6-months/#comment-1524154

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/reports-dell-consumer-accounts-may-have-limit-of-6-orders-per-6-months/#comment-1523705

38 minutes ago, churn said:

The hours I’ve spent just purchasing Xbox GCs is insane. To get the GAME10 discount each needs to be purchased in a separate order. I’m reluctant to purchase a laptop to resell because a buyer dispute on eBay could sink it (Please advise if incorrect.) Here’s how I spent my July (add in 3 or 4 phone calls):

Yea I'm sure his account is flagged as reselling for a reason. There's always more to the story.

39 minutes ago, churn said:

Not true. I’ve had 14 successful orders and 9 cancelled orders in the past 6 months all from the same account. My 3 most recent orders were successful despite my previous 9 in October all being cancelled. Here’s a quick rundown of the timeline in case it helps anyone in Dell purgatory:

Is 14 greater than 5-6?

The articles all say buying more is not a guarantee of orders getting cancelled but exceeding the threshold will get the account flagged.

Clearly the only people that actually care about this issue are the ones trying specifically to maximize any Amex and Dell offered purchasing rewards and odds are what they are doing is either violating the terms of those or riding the line hard.

When the most common complaint examples you can link me are all Xbox gift cards I'm afraid sympathy to the issue sinks to near zero.

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Clearly the only people that actually care about this issue are the ones trying specifically to maximize any Amex and Dell offered purchasing rewards and odds are what they are doing is either violating the terms of those or riding the line hard.

When the most common complaint examples you can link me are all Xbox gift cards I'm afraid sympathy to the issue sinks to near zero.

That... wow. So these people are complaining that they can't minmax their credit card benefits? 

I boggles the mind that someone would go through the effort to do this, and then complain when the companies offering the benefit turn around and limit it to limit their losses.

Wait how is this bad news?? Their PC's are utter E-waste right out of the box.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

47 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That... wow. So these people are complaining that they can't minmax their credit card benefits? 

I boggles the mind that someone would go through the effort to do this, and then complain when the companies offering the benefit turn around and limit it to limit their losses.

There are whole forums dedicated to just that.  Like it's a game to them to get the highest credit score the highest benefits and the most prestigious cards they can.   I understand a lot of travel Vloggers do that.  You know the ones we see somehow flying first class supposedly without the airline sponsoring the video. 

I'd only call this a legit complaint IF they were talking about a credit line with Dell that they can only used to buy from Dell.  That if that line is in good standing and paid off they should be able to buy what they need when they need it no problem. Certainly, if a business needs a laptop for a new hire don't just cancel it.  You know.  At that point it'd make more sense to have a credit line at Best Buy or Microcenter or even Amazon and just buy from them. 

AmEx though.  They give the impression of being the card that will take care of anything you need as long as you have good credit with them.  Like in the old commercials don't leave home without it. 

IMO this seems like a non-issue.

What kind of regular consumer orders stuff directly from Dell more than 6 times in a 6-month period?

Small businesses would use the business site or have a business account, normally, or they'd purchase through resellers.

Larger businesses would have a direct Dell Rep, and also likely have an account with a Dell Partner (which, as noted by @leadeater, is a specific term applied only to authorized Dell Resellers with certain credentials. A Dell Partner can offer deals and services a non-partner Reseller cannot).

This is a total non-issue. If you're making more than 6 orders in 6-months, you're probably not a consumer. You're probably a reseller or a business of some kind.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/19/2023 at 12:03 AM, TrigrH said:

Dell is hopeless, trying to buy a poweredge at work. The second I pick a higher TDP CPU they no longer allow a nvme backplane or GPU support.... like WTF.

Which PowerEdge model? Depending on how many Us, the power and thermal budget might not allow for both. You'll probably have to choose a model up in U count to have that option.

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

Which PowerEdge model? Depending on how many Us, the power and thermal budget might not allow for both. You'll probably have to choose a model up in U count to have that option.

R7515 / R7525 with the lowest core milanx (7373X)

image.thumb.png.0c1342120b773e0922577160e108eb6c.png

19 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

R7515 / R7525 with the lowest core milanx (7373X)

image.thumb.png.0c1342120b773e0922577160e108eb6c.png

That's not unique to Dell, you can't with HPE and DL380 either. You have to go with 7713 rather than 7763 if you want GPUs. The performance difference is quite minimal and the 7713 supports cTDP up (I think 240W). Best to keep within spec, don't want to loose performance to thermal throttling.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's not unique to Dell, you can't with HPE and DL380 either. You have to go with 7713 rather than 7763 if you want GPUs. The performance difference is quite minimal and the 7713 supports cTDP up (I think 240W). Best to keep within spec, don't want to loose performance to thermal throttling.

Correct. Dell does publish the thermal restriction matrix for the R7515 and others.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:53 PM, churn said:

what are you smoking 🤣

Maybe have a read through here to understand what beign a Dell partner actually is - https://www.delltechnologies.com/partner/en-us/partner/partner.htm

As a Dell Technologies Partner, you'll have access to a comprehensive and interconnected portfolio of end-to-end solutions that give you the opportunity to sell products with high customer demand.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

The 7373X also has a 225w cTDP, dell is just being difficult and for that reason they lose a sale.