This video will not age well - AMD Radeon RX 7900 Series Review

AMD’s new RDNA3-based Radeon RX 7900 series GPUs are finally here to compete with Nvidia’s RTX 4080 and 4090! At a lower price point, can they live up to the hype?

CORRECTION: Updated power graphs

Edited by GabenJr
Link to updated power graphs added

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Going off of these numbers...I think I'll skip this generation and possibly next if these are the performance gains we will be getting. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Wow that's not even close to cheap. The random nvidia discounts are already getting close to AMD prices. Great for a high end Linux build though.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I feel like nvidia/AMD should stop releasing new cards for a few years and release something worth getting on a 4-6 year upgrade cycle. 

Feels like performance gains these days have less been about actual hardware changes and more about just pumping power.

not to mention the sell your kidney prices from nvidia. (And AMD to ig)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Interesting. I wonder if the one generation RT behind Nvidia holds up for the lower tier cards. I could be very tempted to get a 7700 xt or 7600 xt, depending on actual performance. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Honestly this generation reminds me a lot of the RTX 2000 generation of cards. Compared to the previous generation it is too expensive and if you already have a high end GPU of the previous generation, most likely the performance gains aren't really going to matter to you because those cards are still powerful enough, unless you're also targetting an increased resolution.

I also still believe that raytracing is more of a gimmick than anything else and it would never justify spending hundreds of dollars more on a GPU just because it was better at it. Raytracing gives me Nvidia PhysX vibes (anybody remember that stuff?). Sure, it's certainly here to stay, but the hype around it is blown way out of proportion. Remember how back in the day people would put an entire GPU into their system for the sole puropse of using it for PhysX acceleration? These days, yeah of course GPU accelerated physics are still a thing, but it's not something your average gamer will even think about, because it's just considered normal.

But there is a silver lining here, because many things are cyclical and with any luck, the GPU pricing situation might be as well. Demand for GPUs is way down after the mining bust and with the coming recession and the pandemic being over, I doubt that it's going to increase again soon. Also, while ARC pretty much sucks at the moment, assuming Intel keeps at it and actually manages to compete in the next generation, this should also help forcing prices down.

In the end, I'll probably sit this generation out, much like I did with the RTX 2000 series.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

In all honesty i think the best thing to do is buy the older stuff for cheaper,

Before the pandemic the top of the line stuff was ~$700 with the XX80/Ti cards, and the second best was the XX70/Ti for ~$500.

The whales buy 4090s, just like they did with the titans, but why would the rest of the people pay more than $700 for a GPU?

It's possible that the RX 7900 series of AMD will sell as bad as the 4080s.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

19 minutes ago, Vishera said:

In all honesty i think the best thing to do is buy the older stuff for cheaper,

Before the pandemic the top of the line stuff was ~$700 with the XX80/Ti cards, and the second best was the XX70/Ti for ~$500.

The whales buy 4090s, just like they did with the titans, but why would the rest of the people pay more than $700 for a GPU?

It's possible that the RX 7900 series of AMD will sell as bad as the 4080s.

Oh for sure. The 4080 is basically stuck here and the 4090 is only doing a bit better. The 7900s are gonna be priced similarly so I doubt they'll move much.

Waiting for Nvidia to strike the channel due to "not taking ray tracing seriously enough".

But yes, they are going to do a own video on the encode/decode stuff, or media engine.

As for AMD, I hope we can get some insight to the AMD streaming, where your GPU can use a side of it for game streaming? How secure or good that is? If you need the newer/upcoming AMD HUB or the software they use for their GPU and CPU, and whatever happens next year for using directstorage 1.1 in supported titles.

Someone please explain to me like I am a five year old, how to read these relative performance charts? What is it relative to?

image.thumb.png.bccb4cc3a0ea1aef16a72dd343e603f4.png

3 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

Someone please explain to me like I am a five year old, how to read these relative performance charts? What is it relative to?

To the 7900XTX in blue and the 7900XT in yellow.

Or actually the other way around, the 7900 series to the 6900/40 series.

erm, at 4:18, are Linus talks about the 7900XT and XTX, and the 6900XT and 6950XT are being displayed in relative performance to the 4080/90, not sure if this is a mistake or not, but it is confusing af for me anyways.

Impressive in rasterization, lackluster in ray tracing. Sad to see AMD still didn't improve their ray tracing hardware.

I'm going to skip this generation and see what the RTX 5000 / RX 8000 will bring.

It's not like my 3080 is going down anytime soon (hopefully).

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Something wrong with the F1 22 4K numbers @ 3:43

RX 6900 XT = 97 fps

RX 6950 XT =  158 fps

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

AMD’s new RDNA3-based Radeon RX 7900 series GPUs are finally here to compete with Nvidia’s RTX 4080 and 4090! At a lower price point, can they live up to the hype?

So it's a fair assumption that AMD managed to follow in Nvidia’s footsteps in terms of generational improvement for RT? 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

I'm probably the only one who would like to see direct-comparison benchmarks between the 3870 (I think that's the last AMD card Linus said he had) and the 7900 XTX, including some with the same games and also with the same settings. 🙂 
No, I don't expect the 3870 to even launch Flight Simulator or Cyberpunk at all, but I would guess the 7900 XTX would get a few tens of times more FPS at 1080p high/ultra in Crysis or CS:Source vs the 3870, for example. 

Spoiler

Userbenchmark and videocardbenchmark / passmark don't list the 7900 XTX yet, but UB says the RTX 4080 is 6,485% faster than the HD 3870, and VCB scores the 4080 at 34648 vs the 571 they give the 3870.  The 3870 isn't listed on UL / TimeSpy as it doesn't support DX12, and I'm not sure where's a good game benchmark repository to look for benchmarks of GPUs that are a couple decades or more apart in age; passmark has pretty much been the only place that I can do wide-range comparisons, for example the RTX 4090 vs the Rage 128 Pro, or the GeForce2 MX.  (I'd call some of those lower end benchmarks in question though, for example it says the GeForce3 Ti at score 3 matches the GeForce2 MX at 3 which I'm pretty sure was not the case... any ideas of a better site that lets me compare benchmarks of every video card that has ever existed, even going all the way back to, say, the IBM graphics adapter in the original 1981 IBM PC, or even the original Apple 1 or before that? 🙂

16 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

To the 7900XTX in blue and the 7900XT in yellow.

Or actually the other way around, the 7900 series to the 6900/40 series.

Ah fk... Didn't even notice the cards as legends, but yeah kind of confusing chart... The way it is shown seems as if 6900 XT is 61.6% more performance, but reality what is meant is that 7900 xtx is 61.6% more performance over the 6900 XT.

I feel like having the 7000 series as 0 mark at then "graphs" show how much slower 6000 series are and how much faster Nvidia's 4000 series are would've made more sense...

23 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

The xtx (blue bar) is 61.6 % better at raytracing than the 6900 xt but 42 % worse than the 4090

2 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

The xtx (blue bar) is 61.6 % better at raytracing than the 6900 xt but 42 % worse than the 4090

Ye, idk how I didn't notice the legend. Still I find it would've been better to set the new cards as "0" mark and show competitors perf relative to this...

44 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

Ah fk... Didn't even notice the cards as legends, but yeah kind of confusing chart... The way it is shown seems as if 6900 XT is 61.6% more performance, but reality what is meant is that 7900 xtx is 61.6% more performance over the 6900 XT.

I feel like having the 7000 series as 0 mark at then "graphs" show how much slower 6000 series are and how much faster Nvidia's 4000 series are would've made more sense...

While I understand the graph LTT has I can also see how it could be confusing at a glance. 

The relative preference charts in the techpowerup written review should be easier to understand performance relative to the 7900xt.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt/34.html

image.png

And 7900xtx

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx/34.html

image.png

The downside to showing the results this way is you'll need to view the separate charts for the 7900xt and 7900xtx. I think the reason LTT did the chart their way was to condense both cards info on to one chart.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

In the review Linus mentions he publicly committed to skipping Nvidia's current gen. Anyone have a link to where he said that and explained why?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

In the review Linus mentions he publicly committed to skipping Nvidia's current gen. Anyone have a link to where he said that and explained why?

Pretty sure it was on the WAN show and the reason is the outrageous pricing because it doesn't actually help if all we do is complain but then buy the cards anyway, so he committed to putting his money were his mouth is and to skip the RTX 4000 series.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

30 minutes ago, Spotty said:

While I understand the graph LTT has I can also see how it could be confusing at a glance. 

The relative preference charts in the techpowerup written review should be easier to understand performance relative to the 7900xt.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt/34.html

The RTX 3080 costs $550 in my country...

It's significantly cheaper than the 7900 XT and the performance difference is just 12%.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Impressive in rasterization, lackluster in ray tracing. Sad to see AMD still didn't improve their ray tracing hardware.

I'm going to skip this generation and see what the RTX 5000 / RX 8000 will bring.

It's not like my 3080 is going down anytime soon (hopefully).

Seems like a good call. 

I might upgrade, mostly because my 3060 doesn't fit in my mITX case. Waiting to see what the 7600 xt brings to the table, though