Apple getting dose of its own medicine with iPhones users getting messages that android user reacted

TheawesomeMCB

Summary

Google is giving apple a dose of its own medicine with iPhone users getting annoying messages that an android user reacted to their text message.

Quotes

One feature that's part of Google's payback to Apple is that now, when Messages users react to an SMS text with an emoji, iPhone users will get a text saying the other person reacted to their text with a description of whatever emoji the person used. It's similar to when iMessage users react to an SMS text, with the recipient getting a "so and so loved" message instead of seeing the heart emoji reaction.

My thoughts

I don’t know if this is going to change anything with apple or not. I mean I feel like this would cause people to google why this is now happening and be very annoying for iPhone users. Which I feel is googles goal in the end to put pressure on apple

Sources

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-messages-android-update-iphone-reacted-texts-imessage-2022-10?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar

5 minutes ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

very annoying for iPhone users.

I think you're overestimating how much people actually care about this stuff outside of the weird OS fanboyism that exists in the fringe. 

Your average human will see it, feel a certain way for 0.5 seconds, and go about their life. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

9 minutes ago, Roswell said:

I think you're overestimating how much people actually care about this stuff outside of the weird OS fanboyism that exists in the fringe. 

Your average human will see it, feel a certain way for 0.5 seconds, and go about their life. 

I mean yeah I may be overestimating but also what’s kind of funny is that apple made things a bit better for reactions with iOS 16. And google deliberately coded this to egg apples face. 🤣

1 hour ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

google deliberately coded this to egg apples face

I feel like older versions of android might be affected as well, I can't say for sure that it's not the case after skimming the article. Might be trying to give people another reason to get a new phone and upgrade sooner rather than later.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Nothing about RCS is standard on Android. Its implementation differs by carrier and by manufacturer. Google wants people to adopt their standard, not a standard that's better for users and their privacy. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Google wants people to adopt their standard, not a standard that's better for users and their privacy. 

Well I mean Google's extension of RCS includes E2EE...so yea that extension is better for user's and their privacy.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

3 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Well I mean Google's extension of RCS includes E2EE

E2EE is not currently supported/the default for Group conversations with RCS. iMessage has been E2EE for as long as I can remember. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Meh,  It never bothered me, I understood why I got the message that someone "liked" my txt.  It's not like I ever have to look up a dictionary of code to see what the emoji would have been.  Besides,  I care more about not wasting money on shit phones that either spy on me or control where I buy my software.    Too bad I have ZERO options for an out of the box experience with that one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If this was in anyway intentional (I highly doubt that),
It feels extremely petty, like Doofenshmirtz level of petty

I;m gonna with the thought that this was completely accidental or a side effect.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Before people start to scream RCS there are a load of issues with RCS (or at least with how it has ended up being deployed).

If apple were to support RCS (out of the box so that they could receive RCS messages):

* Apple would provide google the ability to check if any given phone number was attached to an iPhone

* Apple would provide suers information on if a user is online or not (at any time google/or any other RCS provider checks)

When users send RCS message the RCS registry provider (this is supposed to be your service provider but all to commonly this is google) will be binned so that apple can check if the number you are messaging is on RCS and if they are online.  

* RCS is NOT end to end encrypted, messages within googles RCS fork are end to end encrypted but this is just the message body not the metadata google still get all of that information. In-cluding typing notifications etc. 

In the end you need to ask why is google willing to spend (lots of) money to manage this service for free? Manangin a multi-media service that even supports attachments will cost a LOT.  Google is not doing thing out of the kindness of their hart they are doing it to gain very vauable info about users, when they are online, who they are messaging and how long it takes for them to reply 

8 hours ago, Roswell said:

Your average apple users will see a green bubble, scoff and proceed to block the person. Obviously. 

Honestly. I'm not a fan of RCS. It doesn't even send my message half of the time, telling me the user is unavailable, retry sending it or send it via sms... 

Also the fact that I need to have my mobile data activated to even send or receive a text message, unlike sms.

So cheap pre-paid plans with little to no data, because there's wifi everywhere these days, are at an even bigger disadvantage at that point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

In the end you need to ask why is google willing to spend (lots of) money to manage this service for free? Manangin a multi-media service that even supports attachments will cost a LOT.  Google is not doing thing out of the kindness of their hart they are doing it to gain very vauable info about users, when they are online, who they are messaging and how long it takes for them to reply 

Same could be said for iMessage

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

What a meme this is. Who tf uses iMessage come on. On the other hand, give them the 'Tim' advice if they don't like this, "get your friend or whoever an Android phone".

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

E2EE is not currently supported/the default for Group conversations with RCS. iMessage has been E2EE for as long as I can remember. 

But acting like Google is compromising privacy and security by trying to push for Apple to support RCS is just foolhardy though.  The fact is it's already reverting to SMS and MMS which have absolutely zero sense of security.  At least with RCS, especially ones that travel through Google's server, the messages are encrypted to the server itself (and Google has stated that they won't data mine RCS).

RCS wouldn't eliminate iMessage, but it would eliminate the stanglehold that Apple uses to keep people in the system.  Like seriously, in the lawsuit it was shown that Apple intentionally doesn't support some things to try make it a pain moving away from their ecosystem.

Since it's a communication technology as well, they can't data mine it without an express contract in place to do so; as it would run afoul with data-tap laws.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

RCS wouldn't eliminate iMessage, but it would eliminate the stanglehold that Apple uses to keep people in the system. 

Yes, and instead Google would have the stranglehold on a communication technology. That’s all this is. Google wants people on their platform, it’s not about the user experience. Apple isn’t going to adopt RCS and has no interest in it. 

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

What a meme this is. Who tf uses iMessage come on. On the other hand, give them the 'Tim' advice if they don't like this, "get your friend or whoever an Android phone".

Step into any high school. Boom answered. Also me, I use iMessage.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

13 minutes ago, Dominik W said:

If someone is judging you on the basis of the colour of a message, that person better be eliminated from your life imo.

I don't get why people use imessage or facetime. It is just plain inferior to other products on the market. It is so weird to see apple weaponize their messaging platform. I thought the days of that happening(BBM) should've been over long ago.

I don't understand why we can't just all agree on a standard and stick to it. I'm sick of dealing with a million versions of message handling. Remember when all we could do was send plain text no emojis nothing let's just go back to that. 

40 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

If someone is judging you on the basis of the colour of a message, that person better be eliminated from your life imo.

I don't get why people use imessage or facetime. It is just plain inferior to other products on the market. It is so weird to see apple weaponize their messaging platform. I thought the days of that happening(BBM) should've been over long ago.

Yeah definitely. But from my recent experience, that isn't necessarily the case. It's just that everyone uses iPhone's, and you just "join in", it has more features that android (like really, lets be honest here). iMessage is built in, and no one ever used WhatsApp or messenger or what not. I wouldn't say it's inferior, but it just naturally doesn't work as well due to being a text message platform. And imo android is still behind iMessage in terms of text messaging. Facetime compared to others..idk lol I never video call. But its good enough probably for your average family. Google Meet always drained my battery.

And I'm not here to completely defend Apple, they do deserve their fair share of criticism, it's just that some people have some sort of deep "fuck apple" complex that really clouds up their view, and we would all benefit from objective opinions.

--Dominik W

9 minutes ago, Fasterthannothing said:

I don't understand why we can't just all agree on a standard and stick to it. I'm sick of dealing with a million versions of message handling. Remember when all we could do was send plain text no emojis nothing let's just go back to that. 

I agree. But do you think companies want to work together for the good of consumers? no!

They only work for the good of the shareholder. Legally they have to.

--Dominik W

1 hour ago, Dominik W said:

This depends on the region,

In my country of residence, usage of phones in school has been essentially banned by the governing authority. And beyond that, most people here just use whataspp and Discord (The latter by students, mostly).

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

2 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

This depends on the region,

In my country of residence, usage of phones in school has been essentially banned by the governing authority. And beyond that, most people here just use whataspp and Discord (The latter by students, mostly).

Yes, I should have specified, American high schools.

Phones are banned in our schools as well, but still, everyone knows who has which phone.

--Dominik W

6 hours ago, PeachGr said:

This sounds so strange for non Americans. Just so you know

yeah i cant think of any two other countries that are confrontational that don't include america.....

7 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Tim Cook did say something like this if you want to sideload, then buy an android. And now if you want better texting, buy an iPhone. 
Which is it Tim?!