Piracy

Wictorian

YT also has to weigh in the fact that Youtube Premium users *would* be a a great demographic to market ads to.  They have the disposable income to pay $ to skip ads.

So they have to charge much more than just balancing out the value that user would have contributed had they watched ads.

I would suspect Youtube Premium had an impact on CPM, since the "best" demographic of people with disposable income AND willing to spend it...no longer watch the ads.

You missed the one demographic that are morally against adblock and therefore buy YT premium.  No idea how large that group is..but it must exist, right?

1 hour ago, jaypro said:

YT also has to weigh in the fact that Youtube Premium users *would* be a a great demographic to market ads to.  They have the disposable income to pay $ to skip ads.

So they have to charge much more than just balancing out the value that user would have contributed had they watched ads.

I would suspect Youtube Premium had an impact on CPM, since the "best" demographic of people with disposable income AND willing to spend it...no longer watch the ads.

You missed the one demographic that are morally against adblock and therefore buy YT premium.  No idea how large that group is..but it must exist, right?

Premium users are worth far far more than ad viewers are.  You'd have to watch like 9000 ads a month to equal the revenue from a Premium user.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

They can ask whatever is legal in the country they're incorporated, and more. Some terms may not be legal in some countries or regions and then the terms would say that (ex see lotteries and prize laws in some areas)

Not in guidelines, in their terms of service and what you agree on when you sign up, or visit Youtube without being logged in for the first time. 

They can ask for you to stand on your knees, but it would be a pointless because they have no way of checking that.

Just the same, while they could figure out you're MOST likely using an ad blocker, it's no 100% certainty, you could have a bad internet connection, you could have a bad DNS server from your ISP, could be using a VPN which messes with the ads (I have a company VPN that makes ads not work, for example I get the ad sound in background and right away I get a picture with the skip button so I can skip ads instantly - I think it has something to do with main youtube site being cached while for ad requests the DNS query goes through my vpn and times out/fails so the video fails to load and I get the skip button right away)

Well, no, you couldn't, because when you signed up on this forum you agreed to give LMG a license to publish your content.

See https://linustechtips.com/terms/

Basically, even I as part of the "grant others permission to do the same for any purpose in any medium"  could take your comment and put it on t-shirts, mugs, other forums etc ... unless I'm reading it wrong and it's meant to say you grant linustechtips.com the right to grant others the same permission ( basically I think the idea is to allow users to quote your message like I just did, without getting into copyright issues)

What if I wrote a book I don’t want anyone to quote and quoted part of it here?

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

What if I wrote a book I don’t want anyone to quote and quoted part of it here?

You can want to ban anyone from quoting, but it's most likely not gonna be legal / enforceable. 

See the laws of your country about copyright and implicit (automated) copyright, and see European Union / US copyright laws (or whatever region your are)

Also see exceptions for news gathering, reviewing works, critique, other legitimate needs to extract small fragments of the work. 

If I start to paste here  Brandon Sanderson's latest novel, then that's definitely illegal... but I can write a 1000 word review and paste 2-3 paragraphs to prove what I'm saying in the review, and it would be legal (as far as I know)

You would need to have a license or a written statement from the author granting permission to quote a fragment from a book into your own book for example - I've read books that had 2-4 verses from a poem at the start of a chapter, and the author had to get written permission / license from the poem author / rights owners (the family of the deceased poet, whatever) to legally print those verses in the book.

In a very simplified way, the copyright laws on books and other works was implemented as a way to encourage authors to create such works and give them some protections FOR A LIMITED time, making it possible for them to earn some money out of it... but it's not supposed to be just benefits for the author, it is (or was supposed to be) a trade.

It's not a one way street, in exchange (in a lot of countries) you also commit to supply public libraries with a limited number of copies of your work, or allow by default libraries to purchase an amount of copies of your work. Public libraries also have the right to copy small fragments from your work and have other rights... and may even have the right to COPY your book to make it available within the public library to their readers. 

14 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Haven't watched this series in at least 5 years

6 hours ago, rrats said:

Haven't watched this series in at least 5 years

I still rewatch it at least once a year. 

Napster, limewire, kazaa were all the og piraters.  The torrents came shortly after.  

So many hours for 1 song at times.  

15 hours ago, jaypro said:

Yeah that's the same conclusion I had.

Try to figure out which has more value..

% of users that will turn off ad block to watch video

% of users that would watch ad free video, but then go and buy merch or something.

In the end, it all boils down to money and not really principles or views on what or what isn't piracy.

Youtube offers a ad-free version, its called Youtube Premium.  LTT offers a second source of ad free version, Floatplane.  People want more money (in this case, by saving money), so just use adblock, its like a free version.

Businesses also don't care about the principles, they also just want more money. They don't usually take the nuclear option and block all access to the site, since the users still provide some sort of value, like increased traffic or engagement.

They can’t block adblocks because people would get mad, we collectively decide what’s ethical or not.

15 hours ago, mariushm said:

"Geek" people and very motivated / stubborn people will make the effort to use ad block , install plugins, do things like pi hole etc. These people are most likely not the "market" for advertisers anyway, as they're unlikely to click on ads .. so only the "impression" ads and brand awareness type ads would work (ex the coca cola / mc donalds etc type companies that push ads to keep the brand in people's mind not to promote a specific thing)

The Premium Youtube version works for that niche of viewers who are not skilled enough to install ad blocks or simply have enough paycheck/revenue that they don't feel 5-10$ a month is that big of a deal,or they're too lazy, too "can't be bothered" and would rather pay than deal with setting up things like ad blockers. 

A small subset would be those that feel that paying premium is worth it to hopefully reward the channels they view or whatever.

Some will be content creators themselves or reactors who will pay that small amount to react to other people's videos without getting ads in the middle of their reactions. 

Then there's the general audience who doesn't want to pay or doesn't mind waiting a few seconds to click on skip on ads ...  Youtube will constantly try to find that threshold where too much ads would annoy people and move to some other platforms (where? only twitch is competition, sort of) or there's just enough ads to convince someone it's worth going for Premium.

I've just noticed a couple days ago they're offering TWO months free to try the premium, they kept offering 1 month until a few days ago ... so I guess that 1 month free trial was successful enough to be worth expanding it to 2 months free...

Basically, Youtube Vanced went after this "general audience" segment, making it stupid easy to skip the ads, which is what Youtube doesn't want. It wants to convert these users to Premium paying users, and with Vanced, they'd have little interest to do it. 

We can justify adblocks pretty easily and I think it is a nice way to protest, but for instance can we pirate EA’s games?

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

You can want to ban anyone from quoting, but it's most likely not gonna be legal / enforceable. 

See the laws of your country about copyright and implicit (automated) copyright, and see European Union / US copyright laws (or whatever region your are)

Also see exceptions for news gathering, reviewing works, critique, other legitimate needs to extract small fragments of the work. 

If I start to paste here  Brandon Sanderson's latest novel, then that's definitely illegal... but I can write a 1000 word review and paste 2-3 paragraphs to prove what I'm saying in the review, and it would be legal (as far as I know)

You would need to have a license or a written statement from the author granting permission to quote a fragment from a book into your own book for example - I've read books that had 2-4 verses from a poem at the start of a chapter, and the author had to get written permission / license from the poem author / rights owners (the family of the deceased poet, whatever) to legally print those verses in the book.

In a very simplified way, the copyright laws on books and other works was implemented as a way to encourage authors to create such works and give them some protections FOR A LIMITED time, making it possible for them to earn some money out of it... but it's not supposed to be just benefits for the author, it is (or was supposed to be) a trade.

It's not a one way street, in exchange (in a lot of countries) you also commit to supply public libraries with a limited number of copies of your work, or allow by default libraries to purchase an amount of copies of your work. Public libraries also have the right to copy small fragments from your work and have other rights... and may even have the right to COPY your book to make it available within the public library to their readers. 

You miss the point. When I buy books here it says that the right of the books are exclusive to the publisjer and one can’t copy or quote a fragment before asking to the publisher. Let’s say somehow I keep anyone from quoting it. And I’ve quoted it here, now as it is in the forum guidelines, does it mean that anyone can quote it?

On 4/14/2022 at 5:32 AM, GuiltySpark_ said:

It boggles the mind that people find this topic so controversial. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:23 AM, SansVarnic said:

Fortunately its a straightforward topic, people just make it controversial. 

In a time when you are the product, defining piracy is a bit difficult, eh matey?

Call it whatever you want, but at the end of the day websites cost money to run, youtube channels cost time/money to run,  if you deny them ad revenue eventually it will all end up behind a paywall and you will have to properly pirate it to view it.  There is a reason lots of youtubers jumped on patreon. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

To me it is simple.

People that create content for a living(like I did) are against it.

It was basically an attack on my livelihood.

Most People that don't create content are usually fine with it.

They don't feel the consequences and may benefit from it.

When I was a part of an indie group(2000 to 2005) that created content for games, one of the rules was not to call out anyone on forums(publicly) for piracy since it is bad press. 

That has not changed.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

If they want my money they can get it from Netflix + Hulu. Piracy is morally wrong, but almost never morally wrong enough where the common person should be punished for it

Pirates preserve content, make things convenient, and often have strict standards that make sure the quality is better than the actual release. I'm not logging into 50 different services, I am not paying hundreds of thousands, and i'm only interested in the highest quality version possible.

12 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

In a time when you are the product, defining piracy is a bit difficult, eh matey?

Not really, its still afailry easy term to define. Culture just want s to twist the variables to make it difficult to define. But this has been happening for a while now. Just at some of the most basic thing we can no longer "clearly define". 🤨

(yes there is hidden intent in that but I'm not diving into that rabbit hole please dont anyone else either.)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Culture just want s to twist the variables to make it easier to justify their own actions.

FTFY. Can't do something illegal if we move the goal posts weekly.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

48 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Not really, its still afailry easy term to define. Culture just want s to twist the variables to make it difficult to define. But this has been happening for a while now. Just at some of the most basic thing we can no longer "clearly define". 🤨

(yes there is hidden intent in that but I'm not diving into that rabbit hole please dont anyone else either.)

yeah haha. basically adblocking is pracy but no one wants to admit it.

2 hours ago, Wictorian said:

yeah haha. basically adblocking is pracy but no one wants to admit it.

its not piracy if they allow you to keep watching... even thow you blocked it. its not like you hacked the site or get some other program to watch the video... besides the adblock also collects your data so...same with honey...yt dose the same to cover the cost of the site.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I've never paid for a single game I've played throughout my life, mostly because I depend on my parents for

money, and they won't pay for videogames ever (to them it's unnecessary time waste), but what I did was tell my friends about the games, some of whom actually bought the games, so yes it's ok for piracy as long as you support the devs

When I was a broke teenager I thought piracy was fine, i downloaded music, and games through torrents, got some virus's along the way. I thought it acceptable back then because it was something like, the creators of these things were far removed from I was getting or I guess thats how I justified it. But as a grown man I understand that people put hard work into games and software and im happy to pay for it now. With streaming services and steam games arent even that expensive, if you pirate it now I feel like you are just being a dick.  

Team Blue. http://Intel.com. Disclosure, I work for Intel but my comments and opinions do not represent the opinions of the company.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:53 PM, SansVarnic said:

Fortunately its a straightforward topic, people just make it controversial. 

it's literally a topic that was said and done 20 years ago

9dde1c0001b2b6e083be9ad83b88b0d9.jpg

Piracy is buying an old clunker of a ship, outfitting it with bigger sails and 10 or so cannons, then using that now-armed and considerably faster clunker to force much nicer ships to stop so you can board them and steal their treasure before either adding the ship to your fleet or just sinking it (if the owner's an asshole).

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:06 AM, Wictorian said:

How do you even pirate music?

You have one friend buy the new album on Vinyl (or know someone with a record store & borrow said album) and then record it on to blank cassette tapes which cost cents to buy & then share it with your mates.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

On 4/14/2022 at 9:02 AM, IAmNik said:

When I hear "priracy", my mind automatically goes back to the Napster days and Lars Ulrich suing them lol and of course the, "YoU WoUlDnT dOwNlOaD a cAr"  previews on movies haha

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

17 hours ago, Virus__ said:

You have one friend buy the new album on Vinyl (or know someone with a record store & borrow said album) and then record it on to blank cassette tapes which cost cents to buy & then share it with your mates.

this is how its done...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links