Faceboo- I mean Meta announces they are going to take up to 47.5% of any virtual asset sale in its metaverse.

ManBearPig4405

Summary

Meta has announced they are going to take up to 50% of any digital asset sale that occurs within their metaverse platform.

Quotes

Facebook-parent Meta is planning to take a cut of up to 47.5% on the sale of digital assets on its virtual reality platform Horizon Worlds, which is an an integral part of the company’s plan for creating a so-called “metaverse.”

My thoughts

Very interesting considering how Zuck has been railing against Apple's 30% cut of the app store recently. Let's hope its 50% of nothing. 

Sources

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/13/meta-plans-to-take-a-nearly-50percent-cut-on-nft-sales-in-its-metaverse.html

Once EPIC release the Fortnite metaverse, every metaverse will beirrelevant. Especially Facebook verse.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

https://c.tenor.com/GCpJBUm3YBQAAAAC/umm-confused.gif

50%……

I think I'm going to need to sit down for a hwhile.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

12 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Overall, I think this is a good thing...

Because it will heavily dis-incentivize companies from investing in the platform, thus keeping it irrelevant forever - as it should be.

I'm 100% ready to watch facebook just throw a bunch of water onto the grease fire that is their metaverse 

I still can't get over how ugly Horizon Worlds looks. I can't think of any reason to charge such a high fee.

According to the article they're taking a 30% cut on sales in the Meta Quest store (Proform wide I guess?) and it's an additional 17.5% fee for purchases made in "horizon worlds"; meta's own little world in the metaverse. 

A Meta spokesperson confirmed to CNBC Wednesday that Meta will take an overall cut of up to 47.5% on each transaction. That includes a "hardware platform fee" of 30% for sales made through the Meta Quest Store, where it sells apps and games for its virtual reality headsets. On top of that, Horizon Worlds, will charge a 17.5% fee.

Horizon Worlds (formerly Facebook Horizon) is a free virtual reality, online video game that allows people to build and explore virtual worlds. 

I guess their plan is to take a 30% fee on anything sold through the store (like Apple, Steam, Google) and then let "world" (basically VR game) developers in the metaverse also take their own cut of sales on top which is the additional 17.5%. Then the person making the skins/mods gets the remaining 52.5%. 

Meta getting 30% of all sales on the platform isn't really any different than what Steam, Google, Apple, et all do. It also makes some sense that the game world developers are getting a cut of item sales in their VR world as that provides incentive for them to develop those worlds/games. If the developers are making their own skins/DLC for their game/"world" and selling on the metaverse storefront then they'd still get 70% cut, right?  

Edit: Steam has the Steam workshop which has some paid mods available to buy. Valve will likely take their 30% out of any mods purchased through the Steam workshop. Does anybody know if the game developers also get a cut of the sale for mods made for their game on the steam workshop? That might be similar to what Meta are doing here. 

I still don't properly understand what the metaverse is even supposed to be. Is the metaverse just Meta's attempt at being the major platform for all VR software?

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Is the metaverse just Meta's attempt at being the major platform for all VR software?

Investors need facebook to justify buying oculus.

I still dont get why people will have meetings with avatar instead of seeing the person face on a video conference.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

And now the entire reason they're pushing this comes to light. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

When you own the walled off garden, you can set the price of admission.

When the garden rots and dies because noone was funding it's upkeep....

56 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Investors need facebook to justify buying oculus.

I still dont get why people will have meetings with avatar instead of seeing the person face on a video conference.

Are you saying that you don't want to conference call with master chief, goku and an anime schoolgirl for board meetings?

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

And will they take more of "Monetized items" [just like Google does with Monetized video's they still show ads on]

Like art piece that can only be correctly viewed from a certain angle

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11252942/See-the-artwork-that-only-reveals-itself-at-a-90-degree-angle.html

Like from every angle it looks complete gibberish/trash, but when watched from a Hyper-specific angle that is accurate to 0.1 degrees.

It are actually banned symbols, or banned objects

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, ManBearPig4405 said:

Summary

Meta has announced they are going to take up to 50% of any digital asset sale that occurs within their metaverse platform.

Quotes

My thoughts

Very interesting considering how Zuck has been railing against Apple's 30% cut of the app store recently. Let's hope its 50% of nothing. 

Sources

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/13/meta-plans-to-take-a-nearly-50percent-cut-on-nft-sales-in-its-metaverse.html

So if you use a 3rd party payment system you are committing metaphysical tax evasion 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

According to the article they're taking a 30% cut on sales in the Meta Quest store (Proform wide I guess?) and it's an additional 17.5% fee for purchases made in "horizon worlds"; meta's own little world in the metaverse. 

I guess their plan is to take a 30% fee on anything sold through the store (like Apple, Steam, Google) and then let "world" (basically VR game) developers in the metaverse also take their own cut of sales on top which is the additional 17.5%. Then the person making the skins/mods gets the remaining 52.5%. 

Meta getting 30% of all sales on the platform isn't really any different than what Steam, Google, Apple, et all do. It also makes some sense that the game world developers are getting a cut of item sales in their VR world as that provides incentive for them to develop those worlds/games. If the developers are making their own skins/DLC for their game/"world" and selling on the metaverse storefront then they'd still get 70% cut, right?  

Edit: Steam has the Steam workshop which has some paid mods available to buy. Valve will likely take their 30% out of any mods purchased through the Steam workshop. Does anybody know if the game developers also get a cut of the sale for mods made for their game on the steam workshop? That might be similar to what Meta are doing here. 

I still don't properly understand what the metaverse is even supposed to be. Is the metaverse just Meta's attempt at being the major platform for all VR software?

I think its better to compare it to the steam marketplace, which has a 5% fee, since the items in meta are suppose to be tradable, right?and the 30 and/or 17.5% is per transaction, not per item?

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I think its better to compare it to the steam marketplace, which has a 5% fee, since the items in meta are suppose to be tradable, right?and the 30 and/or 17.5% is per transaction, not per item?

There's no way to cash out from the Steam marketplace though, is there? I don't think it's comparable since nobody is earning their income from Steam marketplace trades where as people are generating income that they can actually cash out from the Play store/app store/Steam workshop. Even if Steam only charges a 5% free on Marketplace transactions it's pointless if the 95% the seller gets is in scrip Steam credit that can't be withdrawn. It's also not possible to create things to sell on the marketplace I don't think? Only items that are bought/earned in game, Steam promotions, and trading cards from playing the game.

It seems more like meta is trying to make it so creators can make skins/mods for the metaverse and then still those assets/models to other metaverse users. So I would see that as more like selling game mods or developing apps for the play/app store rather than trading weapon skins or trading cards. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/12/mark-zuckerberg-says-meta-will-test-horizon-worlds-virtual-sales.html

Though yeah, if those assets can be resold from player to player inside the metaverse and meta takes a 30%-47.5% cut every time it's sold then that could have potential to be very lucrative for meta. Assuming anybody buys them.

... And why would people buy assets/skins from other players instead of just buying direct from the developer where Digital assets could just be infinitely distributed - oh, wait, right... They're using NFTs to artificially add scarcity to digital assets. 

Also I've since looked it up and according to some old articles Skyrim mod developers in Steam workshop only receive 25% of the mod revenue. I couldn't find any pages saying what the exact split is that Steam earns from that but I did see something mentioning that game developers can set the percentage that mod developers earn, so I am assuming Steam takes a set cut and it's up to the game developers how much of a cut they want to take for their game.

According to Skyrim's Workshop summary page, modders will receive 25 percent of any payments—a seemingly low amount compared to revenue sharing on other services like the App Store (which pays 70 percent), but on par with the revenue sharing rates for golden-gated mod sales in Steam games like Dota 2. The service doesn't tell sellers how Valve and Skyrim publisher Bethesda split the rest of the cash.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/04/steam-workshop-lets-users-sell-mods-but-only-shares-25-percent-of-revenue/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

There's no way to cash out from the Steam marketplace though, is there?

oh, fair. I wanted to at least bring that up though.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

... And why would people buy assets/skins from other players instead of just buying direct from the developer where Digital assets could just be infinitely distributed - oh, wait, right... They're using NFTs to artificially add scarcity to digital assets. 

well, they could still send each other money through paypal, to then trade each other in game to avoid the fees, probably. No clue the specifics. Maybe you can't do 1v1 trades

2 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Are you saying that you don't want to conference call with master chief, goku and an anime schoolgirl for board meetings?

i really don't think it would be a good idea if a ceo of a fucking muti-billion dollar company has his avatar be a fucking loli.

that is downright unacceptable and wrong on SO many levels.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

3 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

i really don't think it would be a good idea if a ceo of a fucking muti-billion dollar company has his avatar be a fucking loli.

that is downright unacceptable and wrong on SO many levels.

I can definitely see the marketing team and PR reps in a meeting discussing the pros and cons of banana-man vs John Wick avatars for a keynote addressing "the younger generation"

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

I guess Facebook got tired of waiting for the hype to die down on its own, so they decided to expedite the process.

25 minutes ago, BachChain said:

I guess Facebook got tired of waiting for the hype to die down on its own, so they decided to expedite the process.

honestly, yea. They still haven't recovered from the 30% dip after announcing their meta investments. They are down 40% from their peak. Its really not going well for them.

12 hours ago, ManBearPig4405 said:

My thoughts

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Realistically, nobody in their right mind would use Meta. This is just yet more grifters grifting the people who don't know better or get caught up in the hype.

The reasonable "commission" to have your game/app/product on a store is:

10% - the physical payment process, which includes taxes

10% - the digital storage/download ticket process

Anything above that, is not justified. If a company wants to use their own payment processor, they still don't get out of the digital storage commission unless there is nothing to download (and no, IAP's are not additional downloads in nearly every case.)

But that's just my view on that. Be it Meta, Roblox, Minecraft, Fortnite, VR Chat, or Second Life or any other "platform" that permits some level of user-generated-content, the platform shouldn't be imposing fees on the players, they should be paying anyone who creates something on the platform that is used by someone else, at whatever cost the creator has requested. If I decide that I make something for a $10 IAP, and 2 other people buy it, I should get $20. Those commission costs go on the platform's side of the transaction, so since many platform use "points" or "vbucks" or something, they get out of multiple credit card commission fees by encouraging the user to overspend. That is rolled into the price of those "vbucks"

Reason #814723 to avoid the Zuckiverse.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 hours ago, darknessblade said:

And will they take more of "Monetized items" [just like Google does with Monetized video's they still show ads on]

They want the Roblox money, clearly.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/roblox-is-allegedly-exploiting-young-game-developers-3024548

75% take that steam/apple! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

There's no way to cash out from the Steam marketplace though, is there? I don't think it's comparable since nobody is earning their income from Steam marketplace trades where as people are generating income that they can actually cash out from the Play store/app store/Steam workshop. Even if Steam only charges a 5% free on Marketplace transactions it's pointless if the 95% the seller gets is in scrip Steam credit that can't be withdrawn. It's also not possible to create things to sell on the marketplace I don't think? Only items that are bought/earned in game, Steam promotions, and trading cards from playing the game.

It seems more like meta is trying to make it so creators can make skins/mods for the metaverse and then still those assets/models to other metaverse users. So I would see that as more like selling game mods or developing apps for the play/app store rather than trading weapon skins or trading cards. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/12/mark-zuckerberg-says-meta-will-test-horizon-worlds-virtual-sales.html

Though yeah, if those assets can be resold from player to player inside the metaverse and meta takes a 30%-47.5% cut every time it's sold then that could have potential to be very lucrative for meta. Assuming anybody buys them.

Also I've since looked it up and according to some old articles Skyrim mod developers in Steam workshop only receive 25% of the mod revenue. I couldn't find any pages saying what the exact split is that Steam earns from that but I did see something mentioning that game developers can set the percentage that mod developers earn, so I am assuming Steam takes a set cut and it's up to the game developers how much of a cut they want to take for their game.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/04/steam-workshop-lets-users-sell-mods-but-only-shares-25-percent-of-revenue/

If there was a cashout on Steam it would be even worse cancer than it already is...

56 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

They want the Roblox money, clearly.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/roblox-is-allegedly-exploiting-young-game-developers-3024548

75% take that steam/apple! 

I completely forgot about Roblox. I think that would probably be the most comparable to what Meta is doing with the metaverse - creating a platform and then giving 'creators' the tools to develop their own worlds and assets inside.

Roblox is also extremely scummy in the way they exploit children. I think the world could do without a VR version of Roblox's business model.