4 display build for trading

Indian pc builder
Go to solution Solved by Indian pc builder,

Also I have a 55 inch 4K in my house where I just tested everything and got it to work

Ok so now that my father has finally gotten around to contracting me to build his trading pc, I have a few questions, one how  do I get 4 or ideally 6 displays running one one pc for him to use and more stuff like which displays, where do I get a stand for this , how do I get enough video outs, etc, basically how should I do this cause I have no clue how to get multiple displays on one pc

edit: my bad sorry, i posted this from my phone and didnt realise that it was in the cooling section, mods pls move it to the correct subforum

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

Multiple GPUs. You can either get two graphics cards OR get a CPU with iGPU and also make use of motherboard video outputs. Once you have everything, all you do is plug the cables and do some configuration of where each monitor is on the array.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 monitors should be possible with a single GPU. Most consumer GPUs are limited to four, so if you want more, you need to either use a second GPU or a CPU with an iGPU or find a GPU that allows more than four monitors simultaneously. For desktop use you don't have to worry about performance all that much. Gaming on multiple monitors requires a beefy GPU, but regular desktop use is perfectly fine on lower end GPUs.

For a stand, you probably want to look into monitors with a VESA mount. You should be able to find monitor arms for that. This way you can stack monitors e.g. 3x2 (three monitors next to each other, one row above another)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, Levent said:

Multiple GPUs. You can either get two graphics cards OR get a CPU with iGPU and also make use of motherboard video outputs. Once you have everything, all you do is plug the cables and do some configuration of where each monitor is on the array.

How do I configure the multiple displays to act like their own separate desktops?

how many displays can the rx550 or a 1050 or a 3050 do, what about daisy chaining using dp 1.4, how do I configure the displays to work like that, is there some function built into windows or is there an amd and or nivida program that can help, also assume a i7 12700k for the cpu and I should have DisplayPort on the mobo as well as hdmi 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

2 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

How do I configure the multiple displays to act like their own separate desktops?

Attach them to the GPU. Then configure Windows to "extend desktop" rather than mirror. Pretty sure that's actually the default when multiple monitors are attached. I don't think I had to configure anything for my two monitors on either Windows or Linux, it uses them separately by default. The only thing I had to configure was their arrangement (so that going out on the right of the left monitor goes to the monitor on the right).

https://www.howtogeek.com/666239/how-to-rearrange-multiple-monitors-on-windows-10/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Indian pc builder said:

What? A user will have a desktop. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Also if I connect some of the monitors to the igpu, do I have to go into the bios and enable them both or will the igp just work and windows will sort out the configuration of the Monitors ?

Have you thought of larger displays? My guess is that 4x 42" 4K displays would be enough screen space for most people.

10 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Have you thought of larger displays? My guess is that 4x 42" 4K displays would be enough screen space for most people.

It’s for trading so nothing more that 1080

Just now, Indian pc builder said:

It’s for trading so nothing more that 1080

I mean you dont have to use 4x 24" 1080p displays. You can show the same stuff using 4 windows in a 48" 4K tv/display. Easier to run as less cables.

4 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

I mean you dont have to use 4x 24" 1080p displays. You can show the same stuff using 4 windows in a 48" 4K tv/display. Easier to run as less cables.

Ideally he would want 6 in 2x3 so the to idea is a good one in case I can get him to settle for 4, speaking of which where and what stand can I find that can support 6 displays in 2x3? Is it even possible without a wall?

1 hour ago, Indian pc builder said:

Ideally he would want 6 in 2x3 so the to idea is a good one in case I can get him to settle for 4, speaking of which where and what stand can I find that can support 6 displays in 2x3? Is it even possible without a wall?

If he goes with a higher resolution and larger display, he'll have equal screen space and pixels vs more lower resolution screens. A 42" 4k will be pretty much the same as 4 1080p 20" displays.

18 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

If he goes with a higher resolution and larger display, he'll have equal screen space and pixels vs more lower resolution screens. A 42" 4k will be pretty much the same as 4 1080p 20" displays.

stop suggesting buying a TV, am looking for computer monitors, is there a stand for 2x3 displays?

Dude. 

Buying 6 1080p monitors is silly.   

Get 3 x 4K monitors and you have much more resolution and easier to arrange the screens.

Or look at the 34-49"  ultra wide slightly curved monitors .. you have 5120 x 1440-2160 resolution and you can stack one on top of the other for a big 5120 x 2880-4320 

I suspect you want 6 screens because you want to "maximize" windows on each screen or snap some windows to particular monitors. There are software tools which allow you to arrange a large resolution screen (ex a 8K panel) into such smaller regions as if you're dealing with multiple monitors. If you don't like software solutions, there's lots of monitors (mostly in the higher end)  that have  Picture in Picture feature where you can basically split the screen in half  and have two video inputs be shown, half on each side of the monitor.

2 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

is there a stand for 2x3 displays?

Six mount monitor stands do exist, however I haven been unable to find any in Amazon.in, only the US version.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Screens-STAND-V006F/dp/B00FPT52JU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=6+monitor+stand&qid=1649083686&sr=8-3

One option you could use instead is two triple monitor mounts that are wall mounted rather than desk mounted (or one desk, one wall) (again, no results on amazon.in)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

i'd probably use 2 uw+1 4k for this setup, or something similar, i sure don't want anything to do with 1080p and trading, not enough space for anything, not even charts or quotes.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Dude. 

Buying 6 1080p monitors is silly.   

Get 3 x 4K monitors and you have much more resolution and easier to arrange the screens.

Or look at the 34-49"  ultra wide slightly curved monitors .. you have 5120 x 1440-2160 resolution and you can stack one on top of the other for a big 5120 x 2880-4320 

I suspect you want 6 screens because you want to "maximize" windows on each screen or snap some windows to particular monitors. There are software tools which allow you to arrange a large resolution screen (ex a 8K panel) into such smaller regions as if you're dealing with multiple monitors. If you don't like software solutions, there's lots of monitors (mostly in the higher end)  that have  Picture in Picture feature where you can basically split the screen in half  and have two video inputs be shown, half on each side of the monitor.

Interesting so you are saying that I get 2 ultra wide displays and stack them so I have 6 displays and use power toys to get them looking like 3 displays on one panel?

btw want to add that the whole point of this thread is to maximise screen real estate and not resolution because it’s easier to read a full screen windows on a 1080p display than it is on one quarter of a similarly sided 4k

Addition: after some measurements, my dads office can only fit 4 displays in it practically without building a wall for them to mount to so I think the only way we do this is a 4 display stand with 4 1080p or if I can get him to, a 40 inch Tv or display that is not ultra wide and then using 4k to get it working about the same 

1 hour ago, Indian pc builder said:

btw want to add that the whole point of this thread is to maximise screen real estate and not resolution because it’s easier to read a full screen windows on a 1080p display than it is on one quarter of a similarly sided 4k

If readability is your concern then you have to pay attention to the pixel size of the monitor, not the resolution.

Let's say you like 1080p on a 24" monitor but on 27" you think 1080p everything looks too big.

Well, typical values:

21.5" 1080p monitor the pixel size is 0.248 mm

23.8" 1080p monitor the pixel size is 0.2745 mm  

27" 1080p monitor the pixel size is 0.311 mm

28" 4K : 0.1617 mm

31.5" 4K : 0.1816 mm

42.5" 4K : 0.2451 mm   (ex dell ultrasharp U4320Q)

34" 3440 x 1440 : 0.233 mm

So ... if you like how windows look and how big text is on a 21.5-22" 1080p monitor with its 0.248mm pixels, then you could replace 4 such monitors with a single 42.5" 4K monitor because the pixel size would be the same. 

OR, you could get 3440 x 1440 monitor and replace TWO 1080p monitors with 1, each "virtual monitor" would be 1720 x 1440 , just a big narrower than 1920x1080, but taller.

last but not least... there's also SCALING in Windows, you could get a 31.5" 4K monitor and simply set text scaling in Windows to 150% and the text would look just like on a 24" monitor  ... 0.1816 x  1.5 = 0.2724 mm  - vs 0.2745mm for the 23.8" monitors.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:42 PM, mariushm said:

If readability is your concern then you have to pay attention to the pixel size of the monitor, not the resolution.

Let's say you like 1080p on a 24" monitor but on 27" you think 1080p everything looks too big.

Well, typical values:

21.5" 1080p monitor the pixel size is 0.248 mm

23.8" 1080p monitor the pixel size is 0.2745 mm  

27" 1080p monitor the pixel size is 0.311 mm

28" 4K : 0.1617 mm

31.5" 4K : 0.1816 mm

42.5" 4K : 0.2451 mm   (ex dell ultrasharp U4320Q)

34" 3440 x 1440 : 0.233 mm

So ... if you like how windows look and how big text is on a 21.5-22" 1080p monitor with its 0.248mm pixels, then you could replace 4 such monitors with a single 42.5" 4K monitor because the pixel size would be the same. 

OR, you could get 3440 x 1440 monitor and replace TWO 1080p monitors with 1, each "virtual monitor" would be 1720 x 1440 , just a big narrower than 1920x1080, but taller.

last but not least... there's also SCALING in Windows, you could get a 31.5" 4K monitor and simply set text scaling in Windows to 150% and the text would look just like on a 24" monitor  ... 0.1816 x  1.5 = 0.2724 mm  - vs 0.2745mm for the 23.8" monitors.

I don’t get uthe part about the 1440 monitors would it need to be an ultra wide? Could you suggest a monitor model?

edit: from what I have seen so far it looks like my 2 most realistic options are either 4 daisychained 1080p monitors running of the igpu, or a discrete gpu like the quadro suggested, or a 42 ish inch 4K monitor which runs one display and uses fancy zones to have 4 windows snap into place on one monitor, 

Which one?

ok so i need the cheapest gpu that can support 4 displays, it need to support either hdmi or displayport or both, as long as it is not dvi or vga, amd or nvidia idk, and it need to be the cheapest one that works well, note i am in india, so take that in to consideration, also note i have a guy at my local electronic component wholesale market who can get me sutff, but for now i would suggest just telling msrp's or say amazon links that can ship to India and don't charge a lot for shipping/ are free with prime. idk if its a gaming card or if its an old quadro, as long as it isn't so old that it costs a bunch of money as it is the only card of that kind, its fine

also aren't gt 710 worse than intel igpu's? 

note: the pc has a 12400, and the mobo has 1 each of hdmi and dp, is it possible to bget a splitter or like displayport daisy chain 4 displays usind the displayport, i know the igp on the chip supports 4 displays, so if there is any way i can get it to work do tell

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

This topic again.

4x1080p = 4K. You cannot get away with just buying the cheapest, if you plan on doing any sort of GPU accelerated workload (meaning even watching a video).

1 minute ago, Levent said:

This topic again.

4x1080p = 4K. You cannot get away with just buying the cheapest, if you plan on doing any sort of GPU accelerated workload (meaning even watching a video).

that is most likely what i'll do but my dad wants me to flesh out this option as well to see which one is cheaper