PC stuck on BIOS logo (press f2 or DEL to enter bios) screen after updating graphics driver.

This issue occurred previously by itself in the past, however, it happens EVERY TIME I update my graphics card through Nvidia GeForce Experience. 

Some background information. 

Current Setup: 
Windows 11
Intel i7 12700k

4090 Asus Strix White 24GB OC

ROG STRIX Z790-A Gaming Wifi DDR5 Motherboard

64GB DDR5 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Seasonic Vertex GX-1200W (with CableMod Cables)
I don't have the BIOS version, I'm sorry. This issue did occur with multiple BIOS versions. 

I previously had a 3080ti up until mid-January, when I upgraded to the 4090. Of course, everything was working fine, until I was forced to do a fresh install of windows around February 1st after a serious issue with my windows that made everything freeze. Ok cool, start fresh, whatever. Issue went away, absolutely no problems. 

I believe the issues started after that, because at random, I would turn on my computer, or restart it, and it would be stuck at the image you see attached. It says to "press f2 or delete" but when I press those buttons they do nothing. Like, it will NEVER ENTER THE BIOS. It's that starting screen that's supposed to give you time to press the buttons in order to get to the BIOS. And the text should disappear when it actually starts to boot properly. 

No light from my motherboard at all. My mobo goes through the CPU, memory, gpu, and boot stuff without throwing a red light or any light at all other than the default "checking to make sure everything is good" light. I have tried to leave it on that BIOS "press button" screen and see if it eventually goes through... But it doesn't. I have left it on for 30 minutes at one point and it never went past that still image. I turn off my computer, turn it back on, the same problem occurs. I turn it off again, turn it on, it still gets stuck on this logo and text. 

I turn it off one more time, and then after I turn it on, it starts working perfectly fine. No issues for a month until I update my graphics driver, then the issue starts all over again. 

At first, I thought it was a GPU issue (it may be idk), but after turning off my computer and disconnecting all monitors from the GPU then plugging my monitors into my motherboard for on-board graphics, the problem still occurs when using the Intel Graphics Driver. Of course, the gpu was still plugged in, however. Never tested it without the GPU installed. 

I reset the CMOS and update my BIOS. That did get me past the screen ONCE, however after these changes the problem came back after I do the graphics driver updates. 

I downloaded the Samsung Wizard, the application I had previously downloaded to update my SSD since there was a bug that would have destroyed it if I hadn't updated it. I ran a full scan (which took like an hour) of every single cell in my NVME and it found that every cell was working fine. I've had this SSD for nearly 3 years and haven't had a single problem with it. 

I have tried many things, apart from disconnecting my USB devices from my computer, or fresh installing windows. 

The last thing I want to do is purchase a new motherboard, that would really suck. Or if the GPU is having problems itself. 

Any help is appreciated and I will be more than happy to answer any questions. 

problem.jpg

1 hour ago, Blastman said:

This issue occurred previously by itself in the past, however, it happens EVERY TIME I update my graphics card through Nvidia GeForce Experience. 

Some background information. 

Current Setup: 
Windows 11
Intel i7 12700k

4090 Asus Strix White 24GB OC

ROG STRIX Z790-A Gaming Wifi DDR5 Motherboard

64GB DDR5 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Seasonic Vertex GX-1200W (with CableMod Cables)
I don't have the BIOS version, I'm sorry. This issue did occur with multiple BIOS versions. 

I previously had a 3080ti up until mid-January, when I upgraded to the 4090. Of course, everything was working fine, until I was forced to do a fresh install of windows around February 1st after a serious issue with my windows that made everything freeze. Ok cool, start fresh, whatever. Issue went away, absolutely no problems. 

I believe the issues started after that, because at random, I would turn on my computer, or restart it, and it would be stuck at the image you see attached. It says to "press f2 or delete" but when I press those buttons they do nothing. Like, it will NEVER ENTER THE BIOS. It's that starting screen that's supposed to give you time to press the buttons in order to get to the BIOS. And the text should disappear when it actually starts to boot properly. 

No light from my motherboard at all. My mobo goes through the CPU, memory, gpu, and boot stuff without throwing a red light or any light at all other than the default "checking to make sure everything is good" light. I have tried to leave it on that BIOS "press button" screen and see if it eventually goes through... But it doesn't. I have left it on for 30 minutes at one point and it never went past that still image. I turn off my computer, turn it back on, the same problem occurs. I turn it off again, turn it on, it still gets stuck on this logo and text. 

I turn it off one more time, and then after I turn it on, it starts working perfectly fine. No issues for a month until I update my graphics driver, then the issue starts all over again. 

At first, I thought it was a GPU issue (it may be idk), but after turning off my computer and disconnecting all monitors from the GPU then plugging my monitors into my motherboard for on-board graphics, the problem still occurs when using the Intel Graphics Driver. Of course, the gpu was still plugged in, however. Never tested it without the GPU installed. 

I reset the CMOS and update my BIOS. That did get me past the screen ONCE, however after these changes the problem came back after I do the graphics driver updates. 

I downloaded the Samsung Wizard, the application I had previously downloaded to update my SSD since there was a bug that would have destroyed it if I hadn't updated it. I ran a full scan (which took like an hour) of every single cell in my NVME and it found that every cell was working fine. I've had this SSD for nearly 3 years and haven't had a single problem with it. 

I have tried many things, apart from disconnecting my USB devices from my computer, or fresh installing windows. 

The last thing I want to do is purchase a new motherboard, that would really suck. Or if the GPU is having problems itself. 

Any help is appreciated and I will be more than happy to answer any questions. 

problem.jpg

Do you have another GPU or CPU to test in this system? Do you have XMP enabled? You could try updating your GPU BIOS. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

1 hour ago, FI Fheonix said:

Do you have another GPU or CPU to test in this system? Do you have XMP enabled? You could try updating your GPU BIOS. 

I don't have another gpu or cpu to test at all, I do have XMP enabled. Not sure what XMP has to do with it. 

How do i update my GPU bios? i didn't know that was a thing. 

I looked into updating the BIOS of my GPU, but I don't see anything on ASUS' website about the BIOS. Only VGA and GPU tweaker 3. Also Armoury Crate (f that thing). 

17 minutes ago, Blastman said:

I looked into updating the BIOS of my GPU, but I don't see anything on ASUS' website about the BIOS. Only VGA and GPU tweaker 3. Also Armoury Crate (f that thing). 

Do you have legacy or UEFI boot enabled? 

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

20 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

Do you have legacy or UEFI boot enabled? 

I looked into my BIOS settings, and I believe it may be UEFI. The only things I changed on my BIOS is XMP, disabling automatic Armoury Crate, and removing the ASUS multicore enhancement (i updated my BIOS and this function got added, it basically made my CPU run at 70 degrees constantly even in idle). 

I will attach the images below. 

bios 2.jpg

bios.jpg

28 minutes ago, Blastman said:

I looked into my BIOS settings, and I believe it may be UEFI. The only things I changed on my BIOS is XMP, disabling automatic Armoury Crate, and removing the ASUS multicore enhancement (i updated my BIOS and this function got added, it basically made my CPU run at 70 degrees constantly even in idle). 

I will attach the images below. 

bios 2.jpg

bios.jpg

Go into windows, and see if you can boot into safe mode. This will determine if the issue is related to a specific program or a windows or hardware problem. 

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

34 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Go into windows, and see if you can boot into safe mode. This will determine if the issue is related to a specific program or a windows or hardware problem. 

I don't see how that will help at all. I can literally go into windows whenever I want. this issue always happens after I do a GPU driver update. 

Is there a specific reason as to why? Not trying to be rude, but it just seems like basic troubleshooting steps to me. 

I would DDU  the drivers and reinstall nvidia drivers and reset bios to default and then add whatever changes you need. 

Since UEFI affect both bios and drivers. 

and since you have a samsung 980 PRO, i would install samsung magician and check for firmware update if you havn't done it yet. 

original firmware tends to be suicidal. 

EDIT: ah saw you did the samsung wizard check. 

1 hour ago, Blastman said:

I don't see how that will help at all. I can literally go into windows whenever I want. this issue always happens after I do a GPU driver update. 

Is there a specific reason as to why? Not trying to be rude, but it just seems like basic troubleshooting steps to me. 

I meant after you go the gpu update.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

42 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

I meant after you go the gpu update.

i can't go into safe mode in windows after the gpu update. once it updates, it stays on that screen even after turning it off and on again. it decides itself when it wants to work, and when it works, I can't get it to pop up again until I do another gpu update. I may just not update my graphics driver ever lol

sounds like an UEFI issue.. have you tried booting to windows with GPU removed?

after it's booted, shut down and install gpu and then boot to see if it works. 

you can also try resetting TPM

15 hours ago, Robchil said:

sounds like an UEFI issue.. have you tried booting to windows with GPU removed?

after it's booted, shut down and install gpu and then boot to see if it works. 

you can also try resetting TPM

May be, but the problem is that no matter what I do, i can't attempt to replicate it. It only happens after I do a new install of a GPU driver. 

I uninstalled GeForce Experience with Revo and deleted all keys/folders. I reinstalled it, reinstalled my graphics driver, and after I restarted my device, I found that the issue did not occur. 

I may have to wait until the next GPU update from Nvidia before I can test again. 

43 minutes ago, Blastman said:

May be, but the problem is that no matter what I do, i can't attempt to replicate it. It only happens after I do a new install of a GPU driver. 

I uninstalled GeForce Experience with Revo and deleted all keys/folders. I reinstalled it, reinstalled my graphics driver, and after I restarted my device, I found that the issue did not occur. 

I may have to wait until the next GPU update from Nvidia before I can test again. 

weird.. you keep chipset drivers updated i assume.. 

you might have to wait for a new bios update to solve it.. or try an older one. 

EDIT.. might even be the bios chip that has an issue in certain settings. or it's trying to access a flag that's bugged/defect.. 

booting without GPU or taking out a dimm can force to reset the bios enough to work properly again. as it reset's UEFI.. memory stick out forces retraining. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

EDIT.. might even be the bios chip that has an issue in certain settings. or it's trying to access a flag that's bugged/defect.. 

booting without GPU or taking out a dimm can force to reset the bios enough to work properly again. as it reset's UEFI.. memory stick out forces retraining. 

Yeah, do you think that the issue could be VRM related?

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

9 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Yeah, do you think that the issue could be VRM related?

Voltage regulator modules?.. no why? unless you unlocked them and are overclocking your cpu cooking it. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

taking out a memory stick while it's running? or before i turn it on and i insert it back in?

59 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Voltage regulator modules?.. no why? unless you unlocked them and are overclocking your cpu cooking it. 

No, i didn't mess with voltages. the only changes I have made are the ones I have listed above: 

XMP, disabling automatic Armoury Crate, and removing the ASUS multicore enhancement

lol no.. shut down. remove power cable or switch the psu off in the back.. press power button..  to discharge caps. 

remove gpu or one ram stick.. boot up .. see if it enters windows. 

if it does.. shut down and turn off psu and press powerbutton again to discharge. and insert ram or gpu.. let it train and see if it still enters windows. 

never remove anything but USB devices while pc is running.. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

Yeah, that’s more what I meant. Maybe the cooling isn’t sufficient. Never mind, I just looked over the graph and realized that the VRM cooling is fine. It’s clear in the graph above. 

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

3 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Yeah, that’s more what I meant. Maybe the cooling isn’t sufficient.

that shouldn't be a problem with a 12700k.. but if you worry get a 4x4cm VRM fan..  my old rog strix e z390 board came with one.. but last i checked the newer ones only came with the bracket for a small vrm fan. 

50 minutes ago, Robchil said:

lol no.. shut down. remove power cable or switch the psu off in the back.. press power button..  to discharge caps. 

remove gpu or one ram stick.. boot up .. see if it enters windows. 

if it does.. shut down and turn off psu and press powerbutton again to discharge. and insert ram or gpu.. let it train and see if it still enters windows. 

never remove anything but USB devices while pc is running.. 

yeah i figured that, i just wanted to be sure. 

Once the issue happens again, i will do the memory removal and then start it up again. if it goes through without issues, i will put the memory back in. 

1 minute ago, Blastman said:

yeah i figured that, i just wanted to be sure. 

Once the issue happens again, i will do the memory removal and then start it up again. if it goes through without issues, i will put the memory back in. 

Smart 

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 2:08 PM, FI Fheonix said:

Smart 

I got the issue again when I re-installed my Graphics driver due to some sort of performance issues I was troubleshooting then restarting my pc. I left it on that screen for like 8 minutes and it did get past and boot to windows. I turned off my pc again and then got the same screen only for like 5 seconds, then it booted into windows. I turned off my pc, as well as my PSU, and then took out my memory sticks and put them back in. It did not stay at that screen. 

I will continue to monitor. 

Nvidia came out with another graphics driver update. I ran the update, shut down my computer, and turned it back on. The issue did not return. I will do it again when the next update comes out. 

How stupid would it be if reseating the memory was all it took. Months of pain.