Does Linus know that static electricity is harmful?

richb

I've watched Linus on Youtube repeatedly talk about tech - holding up graphic cards, ram modules etc. Does he understand static electricity can kill electronic components? It doesn't seems that he does.

It's rare to kill something with static electricity these days, there's so much ESD protections built into stuff that you pretty much have to actively try to kill components with static in order to kill them with static, and even then it's kinda difficult. If it was actually a problem, don't you think he would've had stuff die to static? There's a reason why most of the builders I know of in person don't bother with ESD mitigations, they decrease a 0.1% chance of failure to ESD to 0.01% chance, not exactly a big concern.

1 minute ago, richb said:

Good thanks for that link. So we acknowledge static electricity is a problem. Why continue to make videos ignoring that.

Did you actually watch that video? They killed 1 memory module, and it was by putting more ESD than you'd reasonable expect through it.

10 minutes ago, richb said:

Righto so he does know. But doesn't care I guess

He doesn't care because for modern electronics it just doesn't matter (at least in most cases, there are some exceptions), like at all. Modern electrical components (and by modern I mean late 80s/early 90s) have built in ESD protection which offers protection from 99% of cases where something would be killed. Its not like its hard to stick a diode in circuit to stop ESD from running back through a circuit.

Edge connectors are designed in such a way that you can hold them without damaging them, the gold contacts stops a few cm from the edge of the card so when you grip them you can hold the bottom and be electrically disconnected.

ESD is an important factor when messing with older devices going back to the pre 90s since back then ESD protection wasn't really something we tried to implement.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

17 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Did you actually watch that video? They killed 1 memory module, and it was by putting more ESD than you'd reasonable expect through it.

I did. The point is you should properly ground yourself before picking up ram modules or graphics cards. Usually you won't ruin the thing you pick up, but sometimes you will. You should always ground yourself.

26 minutes ago, richb said:

I did. The point is you should properly ground yourself before picking up ram modules or graphics cards. Usually you won't ruin the thing you pick up, but sometimes you will. You should always ground yourself.

like others have said, it is very rare. i own esd equipment(bracelets, mats, floor mats, ect.), and i honestly can't be bothered to use them anymore, hasn't been an issue. also, he may have thought about it, and decided the small risk is worth not having the hassle of using esd gear all the time. he does have enough money, and i assume insurance, to not worry about it, just a thought.

2 minutes ago, richb said:

Again, that "sometimes" is incredibly unlikely. Yeah it's possible, but the odds of it happening are slim to none. 

Do you have a car? if you do why are you driving it?

You know that you have a change of crashing it and dying???

why are you going outside your house? You know that there can be a stranger with a gun waiting for you to come outside and he would shoot you??

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

2 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Do you have a car? if you do why are you driving it?

You know that you have a change of crashing it and dying???

why are you going outside your house? You know that there can be a stranger with a gun waiting for you to come outside and he would shoot you??

ha! love this example, I was just about to mention this.

on a serious note, @richbtheres literally many other ways that your stuff can die, it reminds me of someone who would always hold stuff for pickups at post office because they said trucks could damage them. at the end of the day theres a lot of precautions you can take, hows your rooms humidity? how clean is the power, does it effect your stuff? usually the answer is if you were in a situation where it mattered, you probably would already be aware of it and would take that precaution already. the reason linus doesent mention it in every video (i used to watch a couple years ago and from what i saw he would use like some mat or smth 50% of the time, and hes made a video on the topic itself), is that static electricity isint specific to building your pc, chances are youd already know if you were in an enviornment that is extremely charged and has no grounding.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

1 hour ago, richb said:

If the prospect of ESD killing hardware scares you then by all means wear a ESD strap but I can say myself working with a combination of desktop and enterprise grade hardware for about 14 years now I have never killed a piece of hardware that I could link back to ESD. And I'm talking about all the bad practices.

Building a computer on carpet.

Not grounding myself prior to starting.

Leaving parts naked in cardboard boxes.

Using non-ESD rated bubble-wrap for shipping.

Among many other instances over the years.

I still have the parts from my very first computer which have "been around" if you know what I mean. Still work perfectly fine.

3 hours ago, richb said:

It's more likely to bend and break something when handling than by ESD alone. ESD is actually only real dander for bare, unshielded CPU sockets (and pins). On anything else, the amount is too low to penetrate existing shielding which is implemented on manufacturing level.

We are decade past of ESD being actual danger. You are living in past.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, richb said:

Touch an unpainted piece of the PC's case, or a cold water pipe, or a grounded metal outlet cover / electrical conduit or something.

When you're just working with modern consumer electronics, that's all you need to do. You're not going to kill modern parts by just looking at them. Your home isn't a NASA clean room.

As long as you don't brush your dog with a processor, or something like that, it's going to be perfectly fine. Stop worrying about it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I think Linus knows more about static electricity than OP judging from this thread. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

32 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Touch an unpainted piece of the PC's case, or a cold water pipe, or a grounded metal outlet cover / electrical conduit or something.

When you're just working with modern consumer electronics, that's all you need to do. You're not going to kill modern parts by just looking at them. Your home isn't a NASA clean room.

As long as you don't brush your dog with a processor, or something like that, it's going to be perfectly fine. Stop worrying about it.

My dog literally lay on top of my GPU a few months back. I had placed it on my bed next to my table because I didn't have room to put my PC down sideways without risking knocking it off and unbeknownst to me she jumped up on the bed and lay down right on top of the card. Picked it up, gave it a blow with compressed air and it works fine.

I'll be honest though, I was a little worried about what might have happened even though I knew it was probably fine.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

An old or especially cheap/poorly made power supply is more likely to kill components in your PC than ESD. I'd be more concerned about that.

TLDR:  person new to forums registers account to post a hot take

community gives them an old video already showcasing the mythical problems of said hot take

new user ignores video and declares linus a moron

8 minutes ago, motomat86 said:

TLDR:  person new to forums registers account to post a hot take

community gives them an old video already showcasing the mythical problems of said hot take

new user ignores video and declares linus a moron

There's a lot of those lately.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

“OH WELL YEABUT HE SAID [word he debatably misused] AND THAT IS WRONG BECAUSE [pedantry about a quote taken out of context] THEREFORE HE IS WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING FOREVER IN THIS ESSAY I WILL…”

The biggest Linus-adjacent hazard to electronics is gravity, not electrostatic discharge.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

BUT PIRACY (or something)

That's PIRACY of my thinkings!!! STAY OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 hours ago, tkitch said:

BUT PIRACY (or something)

Don't you mean Privateering? 🙂

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

On 3/26/2022 at 9:30 AM, richb said:

You don't really have to,

PC components are extremely resistant to ESD.

There are people that build PCs on carpets and everything turns out fine,though i don't recommend it just to be safe.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 3/26/2022 at 1:30 AM, richb said:

Pretty much listen to what everyone else is saying.  The chances are pretty slim, especially when doing things like touching a grounded surface occasionally.

On a related take, I'm curious how often people who use an ESD band actually end up damaging components.  After all, wearing it on your wrist, you can easily knock something off your desk...or if you forget to remove it pull it yanking off what your attached to...or the wire becoming unclipped and hitting something like a trace.  I would say you could use an ankle one, but then you would also have a tripping hazard.

So overall, it would be a fun stat to know (unlikely ever to get an accurate stat) how often people wearing those ESD bands end up damaging equipment because they are using it...vs how many times it saves components.  I mean unless you are working with a piece of equipment that is super super expensive that could be vulnerable to it, it's not really worth it in most cases.  Just touch something grounded before picking up something if you are worried.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef