DDR3 Supply is Finally Starting to Shrink

AudiTTFan

IMG_2859.thumb.jpeg.0beecc797f804263197a7e32f9a9d42b.jpeg

Summary

While the hardware community watches helplessly as DDR5 memory remains priced too high for most consumers, the price of DDR3 is also starting to rise as DRAM manufacturers shift their focus to DDR4 and DDR5. 

Quotes

In the midst of the gradual shift to DDR5, DRAM suppliers will also scale back the supply of DDR3 solutions, according to TrendForce's latest investigations. With Korean suppliers accelerating their withdrawal from DDR3 production, Taiwanese suppliers yet to kick off mass production using newly installed capacities, and Chinese suppliers falling short of their expected yield rate, the global supply of DDR3 solutions will undergo an impending decline.

My thoughts

As someone whose most powerful PC still uses DDR3, this came as a tremendous shock, primarily because I didn't know DDR3 still existed. Fortunately, the prices are still slightly lower than those of DDR4, and I doubt that my memory will break from simply hearing me talk about RAM failures the way DDR2 does. I don't think it'll be long until it gets more expensive in the secondhand market as well, although I feel like my SandyBridge-era motherboard will be dead before that ends up happening.

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/292708/trendforce-ddr3-consumer-dram-prices-expected-to-rise-by-0-5-in-2q22-due-to-rapidly-shrinking-supply

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ddr3-supplies-rapidly-shrinking-as-consumers-hold-onto-older-hardware

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

I doubt the supply was going into desktop modules, so much that these were going into Single Board Computers and other low end devices and applications. Probably a lot of smart TVs are using DDR3. I’d imagine a lot of lower end DSLR and compact cameras also use DDR3. And SSDs have been using DDR3 for some time as well. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I doubt the supply was going into desktop modules, so much that these were going into Single Board Computers and other low end devices and applications. Probably a lot of smart TVs are using DDR3. I’d imagine a lot of lower end DSLR and compact cameras also use DDR3. And SSDs have been using DDR3 for some time as well. 

seems about right. i been watching a ton of upgrade videos. tons of nas dd3 up till 3 years ago manf. rest are going into wat you mention.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I expected it happed way back already.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Im surprised they are still making ddr3. I just bought 16 gigs 5 months ago, and when I got it I found it to be new old stock from 2012

Considering that apparently OEMs have good price on DDR5 (apparently costs a bit more than DDR4, but nothing like the price we see), I have a feeling that memory manufactures are just taking advantage of the market in the DIY space to increase their profits the most they can. Won't be surprised if there is price collusion not by RAM manufacture themselves, but rather by the assembler (Kingston, GSkill, Corsair, etc.). 

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

No! Not my DDR3, yes I'm using DDR3 still lol

Either I got a smoking deal, or it's happening quickly. I paid $26ish a sitck on Feb 19. Up to $40ish now.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f3f78ea916d251680f31b0bcf8397a88.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Same boat. It's starting to fall apart haha

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

22 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Same, I was thinking that aside from a few companies still making laptop DIMMs (mostly just AliExpress companies at this point) it would've had to be going into IoT devices and industrial embedded systems 

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

Good thing I upgraded my macbook Pro to 16gb years ago 😛

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

• 3 weeks later...

Summary

DDR3 SDRAM set to get more expensive as Samsung and SK Hynix plan to cease making it.

Quotes

Samsung and SK Hynix, the largest makers of dynamic random access memory (DRAM), plan to cease production of DDR3 memory, affecting inexpensive devices like routers that still use this type of memory. Micron and makers of specialty DRAM will maintain the production of DDR3 for the foreseeable future, but it is evident that it is time for DDR3 to leave the scene. 

My thoughts

This was to be expected now that DDR3 is  2 generations old. If this also means that they can put the factories that produce DDR3 to use for the production of DDR5, prices of DDR5 might decrease, due the higher stock that is being produced

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-and-sk-hynix-to-cease-ddr3-production-shortly

https://www.gizmochina.com/2022/04/02/ddr3-soon-phased-out-in-2022-samsung-sk-hynix-cease-production/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Buying brand new DDR3 hasn't made sense for the last several years. Cheap DDR3 is going to continue to be all over eBay, and $5 prebuilts stocked with DDR3 will be at garage sales for years to come. It's kind of sad to see DDR3 go, but it's also kind of surprising that it was still being produced for consumer use, and it's really not a big deal. If anything, maybe sell off any extra DDR3 you have lying around right after production ends. There tend to be bumps in pricing here and there, and the end of consumer production would be one of them.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

There's plenty on the secondary market anyway, now that it's two generations old and DDR3 rigs are getting retired we don't really need more.

I loaded up my Ivy Bridge servers with ECC DDR3 for under $1.50/gig.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

46 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Buying brand new DDR3 hasn't made sense for the last several years. Cheap DDR3 is going to continue to be all over eBay, and $5 prebuilts stocked with DDR3 will be at garage sales for years to come. It's kind of sad to see DDR3 go, but it's also kind of surprising that it was still being produced for consumer use, and it's really not a big deal. If anything, maybe sell off any extra DDR3 you have lying around right after production ends. There tend to be bumps in pricing here and there, and the end of consumer production would be one of them.

Servers is why it was still being made. I'd say at least 1/3 of servers running worldwide use DDR3. 

It'll probably be a bit harder to find new RAM for my workstation now. 

Most of my systems are DDR3 based, but I don't see this as a concern at all right now. There is PLENTY of DDR3 available on the used market, and plenty of it gets thrown away all the time as well. I can't keep track of how much DDR3 I've pulled from systems that were headed to be recycled, and for the most part there's nothing wrong with it. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

This might cause problems for budget phones and some SBCs that use LPDDR3 because of SOC support. Super low end Qualcomm SOCs are still on LPDDR3 iirc.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I bought all the large capacity DDR3 I needed ages ago in 1600 or 1866 because oddly 1866 was cheaper??? for some reason. I have 16GB 1866 in my HTPC and another 16GB split between a few other PC's, put 32GB in my dad's Haswell SFF HP build because it was under $100 for it! Did it need that much, nope. But it was cheaper getting 4x8GB than 4x4GB for some reason.

Last year I decided to stop buying anything needed DDR3, it's getting too dated now to be of use going forward.

There's plenty of other (and new) DDR3 manufacturers out there.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 3/13/2022 at 8:06 AM, leadeater said:

Same. i7 4950HQ desktop uses DDR3 1866, 16GB of the stuff. Thankfully I bought all I'll need a long time back when it was dirt cheap used. Waiting for the sake for DDR4 so I can get some better than 3600 C19 for my Ryzen. I just didn't know better!

On 3/14/2022 at 12:06 AM, leadeater said:

Lol, but seriously actually?

If so, rip my guy

1 hour ago, Elijah Kamski said:

If so, rip my guy

Yep, it's not like I've ever been CPU bound in any way that matters. CPU advancement up until Zen 3 has been irrelevant. I have 4930K quad channel G.Skill Trident 2400MHZ DDR3 CL10 10-12-12-31 1T so better than most DDR4 setups as it is, bandwidth and latency. Faster than Dual Channel DDR4 3600 🙂

1 hour ago, Elijah Kamski said:

If so, rip my guy

There are plenty of us DDR3 users still out there. Only one of my computers has DDR4 in it, and the rest are DDR3. Still have a couple DDR2 machines running, but they're getting close to being retired at this point. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

My first gaming PC used DDR3 when it was brand new. Back when we had to deal with the cap on memory being only 4gb for windows xp.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1