😶🐺.🤨 - Opera browser now allows emoji-only web addresses

Lightwreather

Summary

Web browser company Opera said Monday it will enable emoji-only based web addresses “to bring a new level of creativity to the internet.” The integration is part of a partnership with Yat, a company that sells URLs with strings of emoji in them.

Quotes

“It’s been almost 30 years since the world wide web launched to the public, and there hasn’t been much innovation in the weblink space: people still include .com in their URLs,” Jorgen Arnesen, executive vice president of mobile at Opera, said in a press release.

Yat pages are unique domains generated when someone purchases a string of emoji (which itself is called a Yat). The owner of a Yat can create an NFT of their emoji string, and the company plans to eventually let users connect their Yats to electronic payments. According to the company, musicians are among the early adopters of Yats; for instance, singer Kesha’s Yat page is the emojis Rainbow Rocket Alien followed by y.at, which redirects to her Kesha’s World website.

Yat co-founder Naveen Jain said Yat emoji domains let users personalize their internet identity, potentially giving creators, artists, and others, more visibility online. The company introduced Yat pages on February 1st.

With the Opera integration, users won’t have to type in the y.at part of the Yat page web address as they do in other browsers — so to get to Kesha’s Yat page in Opera, you’d just type in the Rainbow Rocket Alien emojis.

kesha_yat.PNG

My thoughts

Oh dear, as if URLs weren't alreadt a pain to deal with previously (in some cases), here comes emojis to complicate it further. So apparently this is now a thing and as you can tell by the introductory statement, I'm not a fan. This might increase scams and the like as with emojis the differences can be extremely minor, not to mention that different companies and devices will have slightly different variations (side note: This used to much worse before the Unicode council for emojis). Also, on desktops, this is probably going to be a lot more inconvinent as you'd have to bring up the built-in emoji keyboard, which is an experience I'd rather not endure again. That aside, I did go to the website to see how much they charge for such URLs. For a three emoji URL (the most they provide) of Wolf, Violin, Score (as in the musical one) it was about 95 USD for a perpetual licence, not too bad. But if you drop it to one or even two emojis (you know to make it less likely for look-alike URLs), the price tag baloons upto to a base price of 200k. I am astounded.

Now with all that being said, I wish this dies a quick and horrible death. (Jeez, I cannot remember the last time I was this opinionated on something)

Sources

TheVerge

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Oh lord, the emoticons are coming for us...
Emoji's can be nice to put some emotion in an otherwise emotionless way of communication.
But in a web-adres, fuck no. Thats just awful!!! 😩

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

I wish this dies a quick and horrible death

To me this sounds more like a useless gimmick than anything else, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess it'll do exactly that

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

2 minutes ago, AudiTTFan said:

To me this sounds more like a useless gimmick than anything else, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess it'll do exactly that

Here's hoping! 😄

But you CANNOT underestimate the stupidity of the people that are online. 😉

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

Here's hoping! 😄

But you CANNOT underestimate the stupidity of the people that are online. 😉

If I turn out to be wrong and this ends up being a big hit, I guess it's time for everyone to screenshot what I said so they can send it to me in the future (on the new linus🖥️tips(dot)com forum) and call me an idiot..

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

With only Opera supports it, it might as well not exist. However they could be cashing in on FOMO since I could see single-emoji being snapped up for large orgs looking to do something different. Imagine Apple buying the apple emoji, then suing everyone else to stop using it 😄 Wait, which site will that go to?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, porina said:

Wait, which site will that go to?

This one exists, y.at/:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3aa119e75665cb0699352e54ef591489.png

But not this one, y.at/🍎:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6dc47bf73ac89b4e325eaa658ea98724.png

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Safari had this for a while and yet it hasn't impacted the popularity of emoji domains at all, even while being a much more popular browser than Opera.

🙂

This reminds me of those social media noobs that in every response and sentence and especially at the end, just spam so many emojis.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

59 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

This reminds me of those social media noobs that in every response and sentence and especially at the end, just spam so many emojis.

There is a special place in hell for those people. 

We had the Emoji Movie, we are now prepared to handle this, we are now nuke capable.

Bring in the twitter nuke!

Imagine getting tricked into inserting emojis into the address bar and getting malware.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Despite all the negativity and hate in this thread, I like the idea. We get so many new ways to express ourself in everyday life:

y.at/🖕 

inb4 there's also going to be an NFT integration in some form with that. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

reminder Opera was bought out by a Chinese company afaik, i used to use it back in 2010-2014

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

12 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

y.at/🖕 

Doesn't work… 😂

944043836_Screenshot_20220215-220729_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.4691dd9736733415feed3b4170b85836.jpg

🤔

On 2/14/2022 at 7:10 PM, Eigenvektor said:

Now, was it 😱.com or 😨.com… 🤔

yeah, but i think its like 🌵.🤸

(and they only have a very limited number of emojis)

well, idk how it works but i looked at their auction list… i think even just

🐐

should work

🤷‍♀️ 🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

inb4 there's also going to be an NFT integration in some form with that. 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, J-from-Nucleon said:

The owner of a Yat can create an NFT of their emoji string,