I got scammed from a gpu and am now down $250, what should I do?

Kelp-O

Essentially this just happened today, and I'll just add the screenshots of the chat logs, but it was very promising and seemed to hold ground at not being a scam, and sure enough when it was time to meet he didn't show. To be honest Im not really sure what to do and was wondering if I can get some advice on where to go from here.

I'm not able to message him on Facebook,he's blocked me on cashapp as well and cashapp support can't do anything.

Spoiler

SmartSelect_20220103-143540_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143603_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143613_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143623_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143634_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143643_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143652_Messenger.jpg

image.png

SmartSelect_20220103-143718_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143725_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143741_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143750_Messenger.jpg

SmartSelect_20220103-143758_Messenger.jpg

Edited by Spotty
Removed personal information

That's the downside to apps that have no guarantee.  

If you can't ask the app for a refund, you're kinda SoL.

Just now, tkitch said:

That's the downside to apps that have no guarantee.  

If you can't ask the app for a refund, you're kinda SoL.

so do you think their is any point in filing a police report?

Sounds like Jack is a Jackass. 

1 minute ago, Kelp-O said:

Most likely won't go anywhere as it appears Jackass deleted their account. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

So you paid through a cash app before having anything in your hands or being able to see the product? Clark Howard was actually just talking about all these various cash payment apps recently actually (Venmo and the like).  His recommendation was basically not to use them at all, unless you are paying a family memeber, or had something in hand.  I don't need any more payment apps, if that's all they take, it already concerns me.

Just now, OhioYJ said:

So you paid through a cash app before having anything in your hands or being able to see the product? Clark Howard was actually just talking about all these various cash payment apps recently actually (Venmo and the like).  His recommendation was basically not to use them at all, unless you are paying a family memeber, or had something in hand.  I don't need any more payment apps, if that's all they take, it already concerns me.

ok ill keep that in mind, just never had anything like this happen to me

While it's unfortunate that you got scammed, you have to ask yourself; are the police really going to work that hard to help you recover $250? Think of how many man hours would go into the investigation; it simply doesn't make sense when they could be handling much more important cases.

What did you think getting his licence plate would do? It's very easy to simply go take a picture of some random licence plate.

You did get scammed, but, hate to say it, unfortunately it's all on you. Never, ever send payment ahead of time, and if someone comes up with a story like his, it's a clear red flag. I've flagged your post, as you've listed (potentially) personal information of another, which shouldn't be done online.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Kelp-O said:

ok ill keep that in mind, just never had anything like this happen to me

Paypal is the only one I use. Perhaps you can still file a dispute with your credit or bank since you did not get what you "purchased"?

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Paypal is the only one I use. Perhaps you can still file a dispute with your credit or bank since you did not get what you "purchased"?

ok thank you ill keep that in mind

Report their account for scam

https://cash.app/help/ca/en-us/6482-recognize-scams

Spoiler

Q: What can I do if I get scammed on Cash App?

A: Report a potential scam payment by following these steps:

1. Tap the profile icon in the top right corner
  2. Tap Support
  3. Select Report a Payment Issue
  4. Select the payment and follow the prompts

If the scam is associated with a potential scam account instead of a specific payment, report and block a potential scam account by following these steps:

1. Launch the Cash App and tap on a Customer Avatar to view a profile. You can also search for a profile by entering a Name, $Cashtag, Phone Number or Email
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the profile and tap on ‘Report’ or ‘Block’
  3. Select one of the options and follow next steps

Additionally, you can reach out to our Cash Support team through https://cash.app/contact.

You're unlikely to ever be refunded, but you could indeed try to get refunded through your bank or possibly through cashapp's support.

But hey, lesson learned right? Don't send money over the internet to random people, especially the kind who make up excuses like that. You should've just said you'd meet them at their place to pick it up the moment they started asking for money, even if it was far.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

As soon as I saw "selling it to buy a tire..." I Instantly knew what was coming.

Never give anyone any payment over anything without buyer protection (meaning: dont even use family and friends on paypal!), and meet in a police station and exchange money and goods there.  If they act weird when you mention police station then you know they're crooks.

10 hours ago, TetraSky said:

but you could indeed try to get refunded through your bank

10 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Perhaps you can still file a dispute with your credit or bank since you did not get what you "purchased"?

---The following is applicable in Australia and is based on my knowledge and experience of working in a bank for 11 years---

Generally in these cases a bank isn't really going to be able to help, since the transaction was with cashapp, which was a valid transaction. A bank does not have chargeback rights against a valid transaction. Where the funds go after they are received by cashapp is no longer the bank's concern.

All the chargeback with the bank would do, is send a notification to cashapp, who simply just have to prove that they received the funds, show the authorisation that the funds be drawn from their client's bank account and that they completed the OPs request on their end.

remember there is 2 transactions here, the only way the bank could dispute it is if cashapp took the funds from OPs account without authorisation or was fraudulent linked to someone else's cashapp. And especially with this being a private sale (no e-commerce middleman) there's not a whole lot that can really be done.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 1/3/2022 at 3:39 PM, Kelp-O said:

'm not able to message him on Facebook,he's blocked me on cashapp as well and cashapp support can't do anything.

First of all, you dont do cash app in this type of instance. You do cold hard cash. You pass them the cash as they pass you the GPU. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Gosh, makes me glad that I live in a small country where meeting the seller/buyer personally is easily arranged, and I usually insist on COD . IF meeting personally is inconvenient, the app I use allows for refund, or can be made a police matter (cheating). For those times I'd made money transfer and await delivery, I'd check their reviews/feedback to ascertain their credibility and trustworthiness. So far, I've not had any issue with the deals I'd made. As for the OP's current dilemma, it sux the big one.

This reminds me of the time I'd paid a 'trusted' fellow forum member (not this forum) for a pair of Klipsch PM2.1, he'd promised to send it to me as soon as I'd made payment. Naively, I chose to believe him and sent the money, well, he'd stopped answering my queries about shipment after a short while. Fortunately, a few fellow members of the same forum heard of my problem, and they knew the seller personally as well as where he was staying. They contacted him and told him, in no uncertain term, to make good on the refund. And he did shortly after. Man, this takes me back....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

If the name is legit (many criminals aren't especially bright, so there's a possibility), you could attempt to pursue the money in Small Claims. Though even in the best case, the time spent is likely to result in a Pyrrhic Victory.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just file a report online with your local police, they'll use it for crime stats. 

OP @Kelp-O, I kinda want to just share some of the lessons I learned here reading through this. I'm really sorry this happened to you, but I do actually like reading stories like this as it helps ME avoid things. I also hope you share this with others and teach them how to avoid scams and such. It's a great life lesson and conversation piece. 

The biggest thing I see here was the cash app offer. You should of stood fast on the transaction being handled completely in person. You could of told him cash app is fine but you'll pay him when we meet in person. He probably would of killed the deal then because of this because he may not have actually had any product. It would of been dissappointing but you would of avoided a scam (even if you didn't know it!)

Second red flag I see is the excuses about this and that and how every single time there was something in his way to prevent him from selling it to you. If it can't be a straightforward deal (you give money he give GPU) then something is up. For something like a GPU to be honest, I would have backed out early on because of this. Just said something like "I actually found another one but thanks". If his inability to travel was too big of an issue for him he would of told you to drive the full distance or that the deal couldn't be done. 

Valuing your time more than the product will usually help you avoid scams, because you're not gonna sit around and wait. You need to have the attitude of finding the deal, getting the product and being done with it and if you can't do that, then it's prob best to walk away and find another source that gives this to you.

The last thing I want to say is if you're ever shopping for big ticket items like used cars from private sellers for example. You make darn sure the paperwork is straight and ready to go before you hand over a single dollar. Get things notarized, have someone handle the deal. It's worth the money, trust me. Losing out on $250 sucks, but losing out on thousands is another story, that can be pretty life ruining if you're young (think of the investment opportunity cost you lose)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:43 PM, Kelp-O said:

None whatsoever. Police don't do anything after a crime has happened unless it is a high profile case or it involves one of their own. They certainly don't care at all about petty theft that is happening a 1000 times a day.

All you can do now is learn from this experience. No offense but there were so many red flags that should have alerted you even before he mentioned cashapp which is the biggest red flag of all.