Solving Intel's Heat Problems..

CPotter

Huh. Maybe the next gen won't be a Vapourised lake

/s

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

One thing that you guys could do is a voltmod board for the CPU like this one(which is for GPU) but for the CPU, so you wouldn't have any problem with power but you wouldn't have access to XTU tuning

General GPU Voltmod and External VRM Information | Overclock.net

BSOD's are life somedays

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I have a  followup video idea, but its really not cheap: get a dehumidifier/humidity generator that can lower your frost point (the point at which water condenses into ice) to below your minimum temp (say -25C). Then you wouldn't have to do any insulation what-so-ever, as no water would ever condense on your board. And, because all your cooling is done through your  AC pipes  somewhere else, you could run the compressor pipes into an otherwise sealed clear Tupperware container where the pc would be, where the inside air is dry, not the whole room. (note that it would have to be sealed, and positive pressure is not enough to keep humidity out most of the time). They make cheap cable seals, so it shouldn't be too hard to run power in, and hdmi out, with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I know battery manufacturers use these  very dry conditions in their factories prevent battery explosions, so a tuppaware sized enclosure with your AC cooling piped in should be doable. I don't think a standard dehumidifier would work, but it would be by far your cheapest option. In case it isn't, you could use this thing for the generation, though I suspect it would be expensive, even to rent: https://www.rhs.com/g3-frost-point-generator/

One final caveat: some circuits boards don't like dry conditions, so it's hard to say you wouldn't you run into some other problem with overclocking, so higher voltages would probably be better at avoiding this static buildup.

Anyone have thoughts?

I remember Jay mentioning he could get crashes at stupid frequencies when he was close with his mic pack and whatnot so I wonder if it or the camera is giving off interference enough to cause the CPU at the brink to have issues.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

For the sake of fairness, that TR system they referenced to should get the same treatment and then compare the results.

But then Intel wouldn't be winning (which was the purpose of this video) :old-eyeroll: 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I daily drove a P4 on Peltier circa 2002, and love the idea of Sub-ambient cooling in a DD. And we've come a long way, I was coating things with wax and Petroleum jelly. 

So I've been thinking for years about why we need to do all the silly things with sub ambient cooling, when you could Super Cool a fluid and do submersion. 

I think if LMG would take the current AC powered cooler and its PC and placing it in an environment filled with Mineral spirits, this eliminates all need and concern of water shorting out the board.

I even had a few ides that you might not even in theory need a heat sink if the surface area of the cooling block was able to sufficiently cool the fluid.

The issue here is that it would need to be in basically an airtight container as otherwise you will get condensation and water that will end up on top of the oil. Also typical mineral oils used for these purposes freeze at around -5c.

3 hours ago, CPotter said:

Have u considered something a little different in regards to condensation prevention ..just to be different mind you ...for long term use it would require a bit of work creating a seal case but...

Get urself a container, place the entire testbench inside, buy urself some Argon and literally pour it into the container. This will displace the lighter air, and being 'dry' will stop any condensation forming. And just for sh*ts and giggle im sure ull all try atleast once breathing it in and sounding like Vader 😛

(though im compelled to remind u to be careful, it is an asphyxiate afterall)

Im sure u have some welders in the shop that use argon ? ..'borrow' the gas 😛

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Have u considered something a little different in regards to condensation prevention ..just to be different mind you ...for long term use it would require a bit of work creating a seal case but...

Get urself a container, place the entire testbench inside, buy urself some Argon and literally pour it into the container. This will displace the lighter air, and being 'dry' will stop any condensation forming. And just for sh*ts and giggle im sure ull all try atleast once breathing it in and sounding like Vader 😛

(though im compelled to remind u to be careful, it is an asphyxiate afterall)

Im sure u have some welders in the shop that use argon ? ..'borrow' the gas 😛

Just dunk the board in oil, easier and cheaper than Argon or other dry inert gasses and less dangerous if it leaks.

Just now, Bitter said:

Just dunk the board in oil, easier and cheaper than Argon or other dry inert gasses and less dangerous if it leaks.

but a whole lot more messy, and iirc LTT swore off doing any more mineral oil builds due to the mess it makes.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Why you didn’t assemble you MB in air tight poly acrylic box purged with dry nitrogen gas which will prevent condensation better and assembled easily 

@GodOfROG @Same1955 Merged with official video thread.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

32 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

but a whole lot more messy, and iirc LTT swore off doing any more mineral oil builds due to the mess it makes.

But a WHOLE lot easier as well. Just have a dunk tank of acetone to wash the board and other components off when done, it won't be so bad. However it would be less like watching Benny Hill at the I Love Lucy chocolate factory and take away some of the zany fun I guess. No drama, no clicks.

I thought the whole point of this chiller

was for projects exactly like this. Why replace it with an air conditioner?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

38 minutes ago, Same1955 said:

Why you didn’t assemble you MB in air tight poly acrylic box purged with dry nitrogen gas which will prevent condensation better and assembled easily 

I recall back in the day Dry ice and Alcohol was a way.

Watching you guys prep that thing was a cringe - how the hell do you not have any conformal coating spray on hand to apply on the board??? The dielectric grease and neoprene foam WON'T protect against the things that conformal coating spray can save you from. Moreover it's an insurance policy in case your grease or foam hack job just doesn't cut it.

Marine-grade electronics come with that stuff pre-applied and those conditions are no where near as extreme or critical as what you guys are doing.

I'm also scratching my head why you would want to launch a consumer chip into space when HEDT is the classic high-performance platform to push. Do this exercise with a 3995WX and a 3955WX and see how far those can go on frequency/amps. I doubt DDR5 is putting any actual performance extra on the table here, in fact a fast DDR4 kit is still the preferable option.

I'll sit back and wait for Intel's next HEDT stuff to release. While I'm there you guys might want to look into the benefits of water cooling with a chiller/peltier as a secondary coolant loop - safer to use, works with conventional gear, no condensation, and most importantly, can be set up to run 24/7. If you can keep the room your gear is in at a set, low temperature, it is VERY doable.

@AlexTheGreatish
I just wanted to check which SuperLube product you're using for di-electric? Their silicone grease or their standard petroleum SuperLube grease? I've seen some longer term issues between their petroleum product and some rubbers and plastics, just something to look out for.

Also wanted to make you aware you can get silicone grease in a spray-able form to lessen the risk of socket damage during application. It goes in a little thin then flashes off some solvents to set up about as thick as the stuff out of the tub or tube, it'll get in around all the pins and crevices pretty good without the need to touch the delicate socket.

I'll also mirror what @Luscious said above about the conformal coating. It can just be left on the board with no ill effect long term if you want to do this with this board again and it's much less messy and more stable for storage.

Well, considering 5950x gets higher score on aio... This isn't really impressive for intel.

Comparing this to 2990wx is a bit not fair imho.

Is building an actually airtight container for the computer and filling it with dry nitrogen that much more work?

18 hours ago, Luscious said:

Watching you guys prep that thing was a cringe - how they hell do you not have any conformal coating spray on hand to apply on the board??? The dielectric grease and neoprene foam WON'T protect against the things that conformal coating spray can save you from. Moreover it's an insurance policy in case your grease or foam hack job just doesn't cut it.

Marine-grade electronics come with that stuff pre-applied and those conditions are no where near as extreme or critical as what you guys are doing.

I'm also scratching my head why you would want to launch a consumer chip into space when HEDT is the classic high-performance platform to push. Do this exercise with a 3995WX and a 3955WX and see how far those can go on frequency/amps. I doubt DDR5 is putting any actual performance extra on the table here, in fact a fast DDR4 kit is still the preferable option.

I'll sit back and wait for Intel's next HEDT stuff to release. While I'm there you guys might want to look into the benefits of water cooling with a chiller/peltier as a secondary coolant loop - safer to use, works with conventional gear, no condensation, and most importantly, can be set up to run 24/7. If you can keep the room your gear is in at a set, low temperature, it is VERY doable.

If you build the chiller I WILL 100% do this with whatever the next TR40X chip is.

Well, I for one appreciated the video and the quality insulation job. I can tell you have been speaking to someone in the know about these things. From my knowledge none of this is new as in the earlier Supercomputer days everything was experimented with and that's with government funding! There was a lot of things that worked but deemed inefficient due to service requirements or detrimental to human health.

But for a hobbyist that enjoys overclocking and wants to daily drive a overclocked machine these are some fun things to do! 

Supercomputers need to be stable and once we figured out how to share the work loads with multiple processors the need for super fast single core speeds diminished. As you hinted at, there is a difference between a Workstation and a Gaming system. 

When I was a kid I always wanted my own Cray lol had a picture of a Cray supercomputer hanging on my wall next to a Lamborghini Countach poster! (Instead I had a room full of 486's that kept it extremely warm.)

Wouldn't it be fun to build a modern version of an old school Cray.... Step down into your basement and there is a humming and pulsating Cray super computer!!

On 12/5/2021 at 2:30 PM, Dutch_Master said:

But then Intel wouldn't be winning (which was the purpose of this video) :old-eyeroll: 😛

Not sure there's any reason to suspect that there's an agenda here.

The subtitle stopped at 15:05 😞

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)