Solving Intel's Heat Problems..

CPotter
On 12/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, Bitter said:

I don't think the PCB is vacuum tight, pretty sure you'd be sucking air through the layers of fiberglass and the solder hole vias on the board.

If a joint square T joint between the socket and the protection square does that tighen up ? Like it envelop the socket and the IHS (not the top) i'm gonna make a single top view of this piece.

PCB solution vacuum tight.png

Edited by raitodemon
Add image of the thinking. with more details

21 hours ago, Bitter said:

Also fiberglass PCB isnt non gas permeable from it's edges, it'll wick air through between the layers it's made from. You'd need to either vacuum chamber the whole board which would result in a lot of parts overheating or build a special PCB just for this approach with some kind of non permeable PCB or special CPU socket. And you can't just -20 the whole board because some components change characteristics or go out of spec enough to cause stability problems with very low temps.

Pumping in dry inert gas, submerging in non conductive hydrophobic fluid, or sticking with traditional conformal coating and insulation are the feasible options here sadly. Dry gasses can be problematic because of not only their asphyxiation hazards but also because components are made to be air cooled often passively and different gasses cool differently than air does. Nitrogen is a good choice because it's only about 30% off from what air is and it's pretty cheap, "air cooling" should work similarly enough. Also using a compressed gas into a chamber would let you bleed gasses outside and use the decompression of the gas to add some minor cooling to the whole chamber and board. Alternatively you could recapture, compress, dry, and reuse the gasses in the chamber and just use dried compressed air and avoid the dangers, but also have to run essentially a liquid air plant at Wich point you'd just use the liquid air as a refrigerant probably and then bleed off a little into the chamber to dry it up I guess. 

It's never as simple as it seems and the simple fixes are often the best ones. Unless we're getting LTT liquid gasses in LTT branded dewars.

I was thinking that in the long run all of the components would be in a sealed case filled with argon. I'm not 100% on how argon chill's but being this type of system has plenty of headroom. I could imagine small fingers branching out to the other components that need cooling.

Although I feel like the cpu cooler could chill the Ar in the entire case problem would be making sure you have internal circulation of the Argon. 

Argon really is safe it's used in great quantities in the industrial mechanical / plumbing trades especially Medgas. You could always use nitrogen! 

Of course if you wanted to suffocate yourself you could do it but you could also do that with the plastic bag the MoBo comes in......... On second thought,, this is the Tidepod eating generation... {sad}

I could imaging this eventually being a complete PC case. Comes with a small window unit. 

1. install window unit.

2. Install your PC compnents in the case.

3. attach cooler "fingers" (simular to water cooling)

4. Install side panel

5. Start purging & fill case (slight pressure check for leak)

6. Once verified you can begin.

Of course a case like this would be expensive but that would be subjective on how good it works. 

That's just my idea.

There are all kind of variations, I can think of. 

1 minute ago, Squashy said:

I could imaging this eventually being a complete PC case. Comes with a small window unit. 

1. install window unit.

2. Install your PC compnents in the case.

3. attach cooler "fingers" (simular to water cooling)

4. Install side panel

5. Start purging & fill case (slight pressure check for leak)

6. Once verified you can begin.

Of course a case like this would be expensive but that would be subjective on how good it works. 

That's just my idea.

yeah my project is to manufacture an easy solution for sub zero cooler, like a watercooling kit.

35 minutes ago, raitodemon said:

yeah my project is to manufacture an easy solution for sub zero cooler, like a watercooling kit.

That would be nice! The only problem I see to sub zero daily driving is keeping moisture at bay and doing it economically. 

Just imagine trying to maintain -273C and all stray subatomic particles and magnetic fields at bay! (Struggle is real for Quantum computing) This is why i believe "Analog" machines are going to stroll right by Quantum.

Don't get me wrong, Quantum entanglement has its uses and will be a major roll in the future but Quantum computing stability issues are leg sweeping! LoL 

4 hours ago, Squashy said:

That would be nice! The only problem I see to sub zero daily driving is keeping moisture at bay and doing it economically. 

Just imagine trying to maintain -273C and all stray subatomic particles and magnetic fields at bay! (Struggle is real for Quantum computing) This is why i believe "Analog" machines are going to stroll right by Quantum.

Don't get me wrong, Quantum entanglement has its uses and will be a major roll in the future but Quantum computing stability issues are leg sweeping! LoL 

My plan is to make a frost copper cube like smaller than LTT, and envelop all the module into a vacuum chamber. The cold water should boil at a certain pressure. and exit the chamber. also, the vacuum will act as isolator.

3 hours ago, raitodemon said:

My plan is to make a frost copper cube like smaller than LTT, and envelop all the module into a vacuum chamber. The cold water should boil at a certain pressure. and exit the chamber. also, the vacuum will act as isolator.

Shouldn't need to worry about condensation inside a vacuum chamber. There shouldn't be any water molecules for condensation? The seal you chose between the chamber and mobo would be important and possible PIA.... I believe you will still be facing condensation issues. But like they say, you never know until you try, please don't let anyone deter you!

8 hours ago, Squashy said:

Shouldn't need to worry about condensation inside a vacuum chamber. There shouldn't be any water molecules for condensation? The seal you chose between the chamber and mobo would be important and possible PIA.... I believe you will still be facing condensation issues. But like they say, you never know until you try, please don't let anyone deter you!

yeah it will not a pure vacuum, I will work with two principle, pressure and vapor. it will a equilibrium between pressure and the temperature of the chamber (calculated by sensor and a small computer). To always have the cold water to boil.

Can the air-drying properties of that same air conditioner could be used to desiccate the surrounding air and isolate and ventilate some sort of enclosure in which the board sits?

Is condensate itself a problem or is the accumulation of it as larger drops of water the problem?

Maybe inverting or otherwise orienting the board might guide condensate to less critical areas where it can then be dealt with.

Maybe gentle, directed extra heating of the non-cooled parts could evaporate condensate before it accumulates.

8 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

Can the air-drying properties of that same air conditioner could be used to desiccate the surrounding air and isolate and ventilate some sort of enclosure in which the board sits?

Is condensate itself a problem or is the accumulation of it as larger drops of water the problem?

Maybe inverting or otherwise orienting the board might guide condensate to less critical areas where it can then be dealt with.

Maybe gentle, directed extra heating of the non-cooled parts could evaporate condensate before it accumulates.

I think surrounding all the components with Ar or Nitrogen would be so much easier.

I'd like to see LTT take a empty, clear, pickle bottle, fill it with Argon, then set the cpu cooler in the pickle jar and turn the system on. You might need to have a small constant tube of argon feeding the jar with a small exhaust. (Same way welders back purge when brazing or tig welding.) I would do it but I don't have pure Argon (mix) in my tank right now nor do I have the something like the cooler to get cold. 

Go on YT or something and search for "back purging in welding"

I can also made a personal Custom IHS to improve the isolation of the motherboard (give more space between the freezer block and the actual motherboard). Also, if I go to this model, i can make a multiple different material layers if I have more space. ( but in this case I can also have alveolus like stuctural in the 3d print to trap some air) static air is a good insulator 

• 1 year later...

If dielectric grease is applied to the CPU socket pins while sub-zero cooling the CPU, won't it hinder the electrical connections and potentially disrupt the flow of power and data between the CPU and the motherboard?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 1:16 PM, Tejas P S said:

If dielectric grease is applied to the CPU socket pins while sub-zero cooling the CPU, won't it hinder the electrical connections and potentially disrupt the flow of power and data between the CPU and the motherboard?

It shouldn't