Are the Linus Tech Tips videos feeling like there's more filler and less content to anyone else?

I just watched the Cable testing video and the "Check out my HUGE Rack! - New House Network Update" video. They both could have been a tweet or two basically. The Network video was "I got a pink server rack" and "I got these new ubiquiti equiptment" but he didn't actually discuss any of the actual tech here. The networking video didn't really discuss any of the setup, inside it was just "yeah I got a NVR, and like 86 network devices".

Like I don't mean to be a "hater" and I'm not coming here to shit all over the folks at Linus Media Group but the videos are feeling like a waste of time, they could honestly be half as long.

Your feelings aren't just yours; me and many fellow forumgoers share your sentiment.

I personally don't watch many if at all newer LTT videos; their golden age was between 2017-2019 for me. That's where I learned the most about tech because they actually went more in-depth than "hey look at us moving rack around plug in cables dangit thing got drop".

elephants

The videos have always just been entertainment to me, though I understand if they were your entry to a lot of tech and computer stuff you'd feel different.

Just now, Jaesop said:

The videos have always just been entertainment to me, though I understand if they were your entry to a lot of tech and computer stuff you'd feel different.

Thats the thing, I'm not entry to a lot of tech and that's why I'm feeling less thrilled with the videos. I get the entertainment perspective and know he has a large demographic of kids, but maybe they could be more "tech tips".

To their credit they did explain jitter, but the cable testing video could have shown them actually testing a few?

8 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Your feelings aren't just yours; me and many fellow forumgoers share your sentiment.

I personally don't watch many if at all newer LTT videos; their golden age was between 2017-2019 for me. That's where I learned the most about tech because they actually went more in-depth than "hey look at us moving rack around plug in cables dangit thing got drop".

I agree, I remember they had a Dell Switch and Linus wanted to install a GUI on it and it was never spoken of again.

He has a massive CNC shop now and so far all they've made is his desk and a pyramid case.

Just now, InadequateComputerUser said:

Thats the thing, I'm not entry to a lot of tech and that's why I'm feeling less thrilled with the videos. I get the entertainment perspective and know he has a large demographic of kids, but maybe they could be more "tech tips".

To their credit they did explain jitter, but the cable testing video could have shown them actually testing a few?

I mean the 'tech tips' bit just seems like a legacy part of the name, like donuts in Dunkin' Donuts.

I guess everyone has different expectations and standards. They're videos that I can watch while eating a sandwich, so it just needs to keep my attention for X amount of minutes.

Just now, Jaesop said:

I mean the 'tech tips' bit just seems like a legacy part of the name, like donuts in Dunkin' Donuts.

I guess everyone has different expectations and standards. They're videos that I can watch while eating a sandwich, so it just needs to keep my attention for X amount of minutes.

That's fair, they do make for okay meal time videos.

My wishlist just consists of "depth similar to gamer nexus, but more entertaining"

1 hour ago, InadequateComputerUser said:

They went in to more explanation of the testing process in a separate video. The video has a pretty awful clickbait title so I wouldn't be surprised if you missed it. (Some alternative title suggestions: "We're putting cable manufacturer's to the test!", "Testing cable manufacturer's claims!", "This makes testing cables so easy anyone can do it!")

I think this is going to be part of a small series of videos testing different types of cables. They've tested HDMI but if they go on to test DisplayPort, USB, etc then it does make sense that they would put the explanation of the testing process in its own separate video instead of including the same explanation of the test equipment every time they test each type of cable.

The pink server rack is part of his new house move vlog. It's more for fans of the channel who like that little behind-the-scenes peak in to Linus' life and are interested in what sort of tech he runs at home, it's definitely not meant as a guide on how to install a server rack.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

27 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Same for me. 

They used to do way more in depth things with hardware... 

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They went in to more explanation of the testing process in a separate video. The video has a pretty awful clickbait title so I wouldn't be surprised if you missed it.

I think this is going to be part of a small series of videos testing different types of cables. They've tested HDMI but if they go on to test DisplayPort, USB, etc then it does make sense that they would put the explanation of the testing process in its own separate video instead of including the same explanation of the test equipment every time they test each type of cable.

The pink server rack is part of his new house move vlog. It's more for fans of the channel who like that little behind-the-scenes peak in to Linus' life and are interested in what sort of tech he runs at home, it's definitely not meant as a guide on how to install a server rack.

touche

Oops, guess I entered the room where the haters gather. 🤣 Oh well. 

I get the entertainment perspective and know he has a large demographic of kids, but maybe they could be more "tech tips".

LTT has always been a general tech and more geared towards entertainment, the wow factor and the ridiculous setup. There may be a tech dive once in a while but I guess it will lose the audience quickly. The target audience is generic population with some interest in tech. And also, you might be underestimating the LTT audience's age. Would a majority of 30 - 35 be considered kids? Because that's the main bulk of their audience. 

He has a massive CNC shop now and so far all they've made is his desk and a pyramid case.

3D printed case, Water-cooled chair, zero cable desk, Minecraft PC, Watercooled Red Camera but honestly fabricating stuff is insanely time consuming. Some youtubers take months for a single project. 

There's a reason why LTT has a larger viewership than say a niche channel like GN. In-depth reviews and benchmarking of a power supply just ain't as popular and interesting. You just may not be LTT's target audience anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that the reason there's a less content in LTT because they're now handling multiple channels?

Truth! Certainty! That in which there is no doubt!

That which is above is from that which is below, and that which is below is from that which is above,

working the miracles of one [thing]. As all things were from One.

Its father is the Sun and its mother the Moon.

The Earth carried it in her belly, and the Wind nourished it in her belly,

as Earth which shall become Fire.

Feed the Earth from that which is subtle,

with the greatest power. It ascends from the earth to the heaven

and becomes ruler over that which is above and that which is below.

Indeed, don't get me wrong, I love LTT but I have noticed a decline in content in the last 3/4 months or so overall and I certainly get a feel for a lot of 'meh' videos with obvious clickbait titles. Still, there are some gems in there though for both entertainment and information value and i'm still subbed. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

I can see where some are coming from but for me I think there are enough channels that have more tech so I prefer the "lighter" side of what LTT is doing now. It's one of the few tech channels I can watch with my partner.

mrwhostheboss, them, and graystilllame  has a lot of clickbait and winging about things that are non-issues. "gamers can't get the nvdia rtx 9000" translation: we can't so we're just going to bitch about it every  video. 

On 11/25/2021 at 4:12 AM, Actual_Criminal said:

Indeed, don't get me wrong, I love LTT but I have noticed a decline in content in the last 3/4 months or so overall and I certainly get a feel for a lot of 'meh' videos with obvious clickbait titles. Still, there are some gems in there though for both entertainment and information value and i'm still subbed. 

more like since 2019 or so it's gone to shit. 

@LinusTechhas covered this more than once in comments.

He doesn't like the clickbait titles, but that's what drives the YT Algorithms and gets views.  Views get him money and get you more content.  

If he put boring titles on videos, they'd be more accurate, but would get a lot less traction.  And unless I'm mistaken, he's tried some "accurate, but unexciting titles" on videos, and the resulting viewership was demonstrably lower.

So...  yeah, there ya go.  They could do boring titles and such, but it would literally hurt the income they need to make good videos.  

3 hours ago, tkitch said:

@LinusTechhas covered this more than once in comments.

He doesn't like the clickbait titles, but that's what drives the YT Algorithms and gets views.  Views get him money and get you more content.  

If he put boring titles on videos, they'd be more accurate, but would get a lot less traction.  And unless I'm mistaken, he's tried some "accurate, but unexciting titles" on videos, and the resulting viewership was demonstrably lower.

So...  yeah, there ya go.  They could do boring titles and such, but it would literally hurt the income they need to make good videos.  

No one is complaining about the titles.

Same thing happened to Diggnation.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:30 PM, FakeKGB said:

I found them in late 2020 and I still think their golden age was that period. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!