Are the Linus Tech Tips videos feeling like there's more filler and less content to anyone else?

7 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

No one is complaining about the titles.

at least 2 or 3 posts before mine were whining about clickbait titles, so, yes, people are.

3 hours ago, tkitch said:

at least 2 or 3 posts before mine were whining about clickbait titles, so, yes, people are.

Its mentioned once in the middle of a post and that's what you choose to write a 4 paragraph reply to?

This whole thread is about the content of the videos not the titles.

On 11/15/2021 at 1:39 AM, InadequateComputerUser said:

I agree, I remember they had a Dell Switch and Linus wanted to install a GUI on it and it was never spoken of again.

He has a massive CNC shop now and so far all they've made is his desk and a pyramid case.

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

I stopped watching LTT around when Pascal was released. I don't remember much GTX 1060 content from them, so around that era I stopped watching. Idk, in my opinion the best LTT had to offer was when they had white text with black borders on top of a normal image.

I've been watching for a while and I never learn anything from his main videos. I learn a LOT from wan show, but in his main videos, he just goes through things to quickly. They rarely really explain things, they just list data and numbers. I feel like linus explains stuff best on the wan show.

9 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I've been watching for a while and I never learn anything from his main videos. I learn a LOT from wan show, but in his main videos, he just goes through things to quickly. They rarely really explain things, they just list data and numbers. I feel like linus explains stuff best on the wan show.

Definitely. The WAN Show is one of the best pieces of content they produce, even if it does have the feeling of being thrown together sometimes. It's the only thing I've consistently watched from LTT over the years. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

9 hours ago, poochyena said:

While I don't agree with the general sentiment in this thread I do agree that sometimes it does feel like they skipped over things just in order to keep the video of a certain length. I very much suspect that it has to do with the fact that videos of longer length generally (and sadly) do not work very well with the youtube algorithm and view counts in general. Same goes for the titles. 

In the thread about the latest Linux challenge video I did reply to@LinusTech about that as well as I do feel that some of the hostility they faced there is simply because they skipped past some things. They then do take the time to actually explore things further in the WAN show but not everyone will watch the entire show and that context is not there when the video is released. Personally speaking it would add a lot of value if that information could be made available as part of a background article (See also what I quoted below). In the WAN show Linus actually mentioned having an extensive document for each episode of the Linux challenge so my thinking is that with some limited editing these docs might already provide the extra information and insights to the video that now sometimes are absent. 

On 11/26/2021 at 10:02 AM, creesch said:

I do know that on the WAN show you once talked about the fact that you explored a written LTT as well with articles and such but that at the time it wasn't seen as something that would be reasonable. Have you also given consideration about approaching it in a slightly different manner where you write background articles for videos where it simply wasn't feasible to include all that information in the video itself? 

I'd imagine that much of that information is already there as part of the video script and notes, though it would of course need extra work to be written down in article format. As far as infrastructure goes, realistically speaking it could just be included as comment with these posts. 

Just my 2ct coming from someone who has often wondered about some of the details or rationale behind some of the videos 🙂

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

Yes, but I do not mind. It's to watch during lunch and maybe discover cool things I didn't know I wanted. 

Also, I avoid the weird thumbnails by using newsboat as my way to "subscribe" to the channels and yt-dlp to watch. Considering to use the option that promises to cut out the sponsor parts instead of just manually skipping them. 

I think it may be a result of having a new video everyday that results in more being excited to show off some cool tech or use case than raw details. I still like it though, they’re still the best tech videos for learning and entertainment.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Yes, I have noticed this as well. I love LTT, but in late the production is driven mostly from a business perspective as in "what you think YouTube requires you to do", i.e. upload one video a day, put a stupid and annoying face on the thumbnail (I am so sick of those - so many channels do this now), etc. When you work like that the passion dies. I find less and less of the content worth watching.

The problem is that this is actually NOT what's making a channel successful and the sooner LTT realizes this the better. If you do not do it for passion, but more or less solely for the money, then  the quality of the show will just keep declining and then you will slowly but surely loose your followers.

Advice to LTT: Stop following blindly all the stupid trends on YouTube. Do what you did when the show was more about the passion for tech that for making sure you upload 1 video a day - no matter how stupid or bad the content is. Otherwise you will loose your most valuable viewers.

6 hours ago, iio7 said:

Advice to LTT: Stop following blindly all the stupid trends on YouTube. Do what you did when the show was more about the passion for tech that for making sure you upload 1 video a day - no matter how stupid or bad the content is. Otherwise you will loose your most valuable viewers.

Funny enough, LTT is doing better than they have ever been. And also, it's call catching up with the trend or get left behind.

damn, this makes me miss the toy firetruck reviews
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

On 11/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, tkitch said:

He doesn't like the clickbait titles, but that's what drives the YT Algorithms and gets views.  Views get him money and get you more content.  

If he put boring titles on videos, they'd be more accurate, but would get a lot less traction.  And unless I'm mistaken, he's tried some "accurate, but unexciting titles" on videos, and the resulting viewership was demonstrably lower.

find that to be such a false statement, at some point it might be true. And I get that some more exciting titles can be more fun, also when he overdo it... its just going to backfire on content he knows is not, what he wants to portray it to be, to his viewers.

Are there any old Top Gear/The Grand Tour fans here? If you've been watching those shows for years you already know it's not just a car show. It's about 3 friends traveling around the world taking 3 of the most inappropriate cars they can find for a given task and letting hilarity ensue.

I think LTT actually has some similarities. The tech is always there but it's not always the primary focus, there's humor and comradery mixed with information. Some videos are definitely more detail oriented than others but at the end of the day they're trying to draw a wide variety of viewers.