Reddit user allegedly gets hands on Intel i9 12900K

WolframaticAlpha

Summary

Redditor u/seby9123 got his hands on a retail version of Intel's upcoming Alder Lake 12900K, claiming to have bought it for 610 dollars(pre tax). 

Here is the package in it's full glory:

Spoiler

UJB1iiB.jpeg

Spoiler

gOMlxn2.jpeg

Spoiler

T27XWGJ.jpeg

Quotes

Seby9123 hasn't actually tried the processor out because they don't yet have a motherboard on which to install it. Once they acquire one, they plan to benchmark it against a Core i9-10900K and a 5950X, with both DDR4 and DDR5 RAM. Previous benchmarks have already shown Intel's upcoming Core i9 putting up a fight against the 5950X.

My thoughts

Seems highly interesting, if real. It is on reddit, so it's veracity is obviously unknown. If the price(610 dollars) is correct, then Intel might be competitive for once(before Zen 3+). The gold wafer replica seems cool, and will probably be on ebay for 25 dollars on launch day 😄

Sources

Intel Core i9-12900K spotted with unique retail packaging | TechSpot

The images on imgur

the reddit thread:

So they dude is a product manager who works at a large computer parts retailer and used his position to get hands on early inventory (or he knows someone that is). This really isn't rare, heck I worked at a tiny mom & pop computer shop for 10 years and I was able to get parts (and occasionally games) weeks before they went on general sale, I had an OEM boxed copy of Vista Ultimate 2 weeks before it was on sale.

The dumb thing is bragging about it on the internet, someone will recognise him, track down his IRL details and he'll end up getting in deep dodo. Retailers who preorder stuff for a street date and generally under a contract to not sell them until that date and yes, its kind of an unwritten rule that some employees get early access for testing and reviewing but those employees usually don't take to reddit to brag about it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ngl the packaging is pretty cool

Supposedly the 12900k beats a 5950x so it would be decently competitive, esp when gaming

But for some reason it still consumes a crap ton of power even though its 10nm so rip power bills

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Supposedly the 12900k beats a 5950x so it would be decently competitive, esp when gaming

But for some reason it still consumes a crap ton of power even though its 10nm so rip power bills

Pro tip: Never believe anything you hear about a product until its in the hands of independent reviewers. Manufacturers have a habit of cherrypicking the good numbers and totally omitting the rest.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yeah 330W could be real with a 5.2ghz overclock and if numbers is correct Intel only beats AMD in single core performance on stock and if wattage is over 220W then why would you even care, as long as multithread is still good. Games might run faster, esp older games like CSGO etc.

Rumor souce: https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-cpu-consumes-whooping-330-watts-power-overclocked-to-5-2-ghz/

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

12 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yeah 330W could be real with a 5.2ghz overclock and if numbers is correct Intel only beats AMD in single core performance on stock and if wattage is over 220W then why would you even care, as long as multithread is still good. Games might run faster, esp older games like CSGO etc.

Rumor souce: https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-cpu-consumes-whooping-330-watts-power-overclocked-to-5-2-ghz/

This made my laugh when I first saw it, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the point of hybrid designs to be more efficient and use less power?

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

This made my laugh when I first saw it, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the point of hybrid designs to be more efficient and use less power?

I think the point was to have, how to put it... scalable power?

As in, if what you're doing is rather undemanding, just load up a couple efficiency cores and make do sipping a few watts of power. But if you need to hit the CPU -HARD-, then it can go full room heater mode and do serious heavy lifting.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I wouldn't take overclocked power numbers as meaning anything at all. Overclocking has been a meme for a few years now, like 30-50% more power usage for ~10% more performance. The last flagship CPU actually worth overclocking was probably the i9 9900K.

39 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

If the leaks are real then I don't see the point of the performance and E cores if overclocking causes the CPU to be a space heater. I mean sure if you're a pro CSGO player then you wouldn't care, but modern GPU's already use 300W+ and you'll at least maybe need a 360mm AIO to keep the CPU cool.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

So they dude is a product manager who works at a large computer parts retailer and used his position to get hands on early inventory (or he knows someone that is). This really isn't rare, heck I worked at a tiny mom & pop computer shop for 10 years and I was able to get parts (and occasionally games) weeks before they went on general sale, I had an OEM boxed copy of Vista Ultimate 2 weeks before it was on sale.

The dumb thing is bragging about it on the internet, someone will recognise him, track down his IRL details and he'll end up getting in deep dodo. Retailers who preorder stuff for a street date and generally under a contract to not sell them until that date and yes, its kind of an unwritten rule that some employees get early access for testing and reviewing but those employees usually don't take to reddit to brag about it.

lol nah, just an enthusiast who keeps an eye out

4 minutes ago, Seby9123 said:

lol nah, just an enthusiast who keeps an eye out

wait a minute, we have this dude on the forum?!

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

55 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Seems only logical that they would only beat them in single core performance because well they lack a good amount of full power cores.

I just don't like the big little design for even multi core use cases. Like a render is happening and currently all cores are busy but now one by one they are finishing and one of the little ones has just started their last part taking over double as long. Hopefully they have something to prevent that from happening

I also want to see their performance in windows 10 not 11 as that os is greatly skewed against amd and even intel's own normal cpu's perform a bit worse.

33 minutes ago, Rauten said:

I think the point was to have, how to put it... scalable power?

As in, if what you're doing is rather undemanding, just load up a couple efficiency cores and make do sipping a few watts of power. But if you need to hit the CPU -HARD-, then it can go full room heater mode and do serious heavy lifting.

That said- do you think it would be possible for such CPUs to dedicate P cores to levels only and E cores to the GUI/HUD within the same software?

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

2 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

That said- do you think it would be possible for such CPUs to dedicate P cores to levels only and E cores to the GUI/HUD within the same software?

Uuhhh I'm just an enthusiast, not an engineer or anything, this is getting way above my level.

However, considering all the talk about how they're working with Microsoft to help prepare the task scheduler, I assume  (note the very heavy emphasis) it's tied to processes. 
So if the GUI/HUD is in the same process as whatever task you're doing, it will all have to go into the same core(s); if they are in separate processes, then they should go to P and E cores respectively.

14 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

Could it be done, probably. Would it be done? Unlikely.

Consider that workloads can be broadly split into two parts: critical path, and throughput. Things that have to be done to move on will be critical path. This should be prioritised to P cores. Other stuff is more a throughput exercise. You just want it done, you don't care how it gets done as long as it is done in time. That can go anywhere, P or E core. Dedicating stuff to E core doesn't make sense especially as for a long time most people wont have anything like that. General software will try to be as hardware agnostic as practical since you don't know what will be out there. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Seems only logical that they would only beat them in single core performance because well they lack a good amount of full power cores.

I just don't like the big little design for even multi core use cases. Like a render is happening and currently all cores are busy but now one by one they are finishing and one of the little ones has just started their last part taking over double as long. Hopefully they have something to prevent that from happening

I also want to see their performance in windows 10 not 11 as that os is greatly skewed against amd and even intel's own normal cpu's perform a bit worse.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how it comes out. Most likely they'll have the speed "crown" until Ryzen 6000. Might need to get more AMD stock. Yes Microsoft really screwed up Windows 11, but again that's the cycle. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

8 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how it comes out. Most likely they'll have the speed "crown" until Ryzen 6000. Might need to get more AMD stock. Yes Microsoft really screwed up Windows 11, but again that's the cycle. 

Honestly even from the leaked benchmarks it seems to be just doing ok? That and it's 100% running windows 11 which means that amd is missing 15-20% of it's performance vs a cpu that 11 was basically optimized for for a good while.

So in multi core the 5900x once it's performance is normal again is brushing up against the 12900k and single core wise it's a lot less further away.

I mean at this point when a last gen not even top of the line cpu can match a new top of the line cpu you are just not doing something right. Combine that with the knowledge that 11 is optimized for intels big little design I just don't think this cpu is really all that much better.

That and we are on desktop wth is up with wanting big little there when the power consumption of this thing is over 200w.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That and we are on desktop wth is up with wanting big little there when the power consumption of this thing is over 200w.

I honestly don't get these reactions to Alder Lake. 

If you are running a task that demands full power, you get full power. If you are running a task that requires 2W, you get 2W.

Is there a negative to this I'm missing? Honest question.

18 minutes ago, Rauten said:

I honestly don't get these reactions to Alder Lake. 

If you are running a task that demands full power, you get full power. If you are running a task that requires 2W, you get 2W.

Is there a negative to this I'm missing? Honest question.

pretty much. The justification against it being that if you are gaming then you are probably going to be putting the cores on all power and that big.LITTLE may introduce compatibility problems.

27 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

pretty much. The justification against it being that if you are gaming then you are probably going to be putting the cores on all power and that big.LITTLE may introduce problems.

We shouldn't move ahead because there may be problems? Different people may choose to run games differently, but generally speaking in most situations we're not CPU limited.

I can't find where I saw it now, but Intel was reported to say words to the effect perf/watt parity 2024, leadership 2025. The leadership claim ties in with past statements they expect to be first to deploy whatever next gen fab tech in production. The parity claim might be more industry wide than product wide. Think Apple, not AMD. 

Edit: Found the source. Ian Cutress (Anandtech) reacting to Intel's financial results.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

We shouldn't move ahead because there may be problems? Different people may choose to run games differently, but generally speaking in most situations we're not CPU limited.

I can't find where I saw it now, but Intel was reported to say words to the effect perf/watt parity 2024, leadership 2025. The leadership claim ties in with past statements they expect to be first to deploy whatever next gen fab tech in production. The parity claim might be more industry wide than product wide. Think Apple, not AMD. 

Perf/watt with this gen apple or 2024 apple?

4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Perf/watt with this gen apple or 2024 apple?

2024 Apple. With the usual arguments on how it is measured, I think they have a good chance at passing AMD way before that.