Reddit user allegedly gets hands on Intel i9 12900K

WolframaticAlpha
On 10/25/2021 at 1:35 AM, leadeater said:

He might need to torque to a counselor

and get threadapy?

✨FNIGE✨

On 10/22/2021 at 10:13 AM, Master Disaster said:

The dumb thing is bragging about it on the internet, someone will recognise him, track down his IRL details and he'll end up getting in deep dodo. Retailers who preorder stuff for a street date and generally under a contract to not sell them until that date and yes, its kind of an unwritten rule that some employees get early access for testing and reviewing but those employees usually don't take to reddit to brag about it.

What I would do:

have the cpu in my hands weeks//months before the actual official release date. Take the cpu with me somewhere else that no friend and family will recognize where the photos are taken and who got it. Then make benchmarks (if possible of course) or brag hardcore about it under a totally unknown name. Use a cheap smartphone and use public wifi to publish the photos on known websites like reddit and wait for them to go viral. Delete everything from the smartphone, destroy it to pieces and burn it to ashes. Go back home, wait a few days or even hours and watch yourself die from laughing reading all the comments from people who lost their shit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

This might be interesting:

Intel-12th-Gen-Core-Core-Alder-Lake-S-Final-Pricing.jpg

Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Ryzen-9-5950X.jpg

The power draw is meh, but kind of too be expected from 10-16 core CPUs. This might be a good kick for AMD(prices fixed since Zen 3 launch). The multicore will be interesting.

We need to wait for independent reviewers to not just get their hands on them, but also to test them using DDR4 because right now, we just have no idea how much of an impact DDR5 has on performance of various tasks; and you can bet your collective asses Intel has been showing performance using DDR5.
Guesses, yeah, but no actual hard, cold data (AFAIK, please slap me towards wisdom otherwise).

Which I guess is a really cool thing about Alder Lake, being DDR4 and DDR5 compatible, will give us a somewhat realistic view into what the performance difference between the two will actually be.

3 minutes ago, Rauten said:

you can bet your collective asses Intel has been showing performance using DDR5.

Is it really a surprise to show performance of what will be the standard ram configuration? About the only reason I see for running DDR4 on Alder Lake is if you're a cheap OEM wanting to shave cost.

Which I guess is a really cool thing about Alder Lake, being DDR4 and DDR5 compatible, will give us a somewhat realistic view into what the performance difference between the two will actually be.

IMO I don't think there'll be anything shocking, but of course would want that confirmation. Right now you can already overclock top end DDR4 to comparable speeds, adjust the latencies a bit, and you're going to be pretty close. At the end of the day you could simplify ram related performance into two dimensions: latency and bandwidth. Not exact, due to differences in channel width and other transfer mechanics, but we're really digging into detail there.

Oh, have a free prediction from me: Cinebench will be practically zero difference from the ram 😄 The more interesting differences will be in workloads that actually stress ram.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Is it really a surprise to show performance of what will be the standard ram configuration? About the only reason I see for running DDR4 on Alder Lake is if you're a cheap OEM wanting to shave cost.

Well, no.

But it's also not a surprise that they're marketing themselves as being "THIS MUCH BETTER THAN OUR COMPETITORS WOOOH OU YEAH" when in reality their advantage might not be as impressive.

Not saying this is an Intel thing, though, this is a global "I hate marketing PR" thing.

Back to you, Steve.

But it's also not a surprise that they're marketing themselves as being "THIS MUCH BETTER THAN OUR COMPETITORS WOOOH OU YEAH" when in reality their advantage might not be as impressive.

Decide what you are comparing here. The end product will be best used with DDR5, and I'd expect it to be in most situations. If you're looking at a microarchitecture comparison, then fair enough you want to take out platform considerations. To do so in the past I would underclock and reduce core count, so that in effect the ram limitations don't choke the core operations. Alternatively there's always Cinebench. It has been seen even through to latest versions it is close to ideal scaling with CPU cores and clocks, with hardly any impact from ram settings. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

-snip-

The power draw is meh, but kind of too be expected from 10-16 core CPUs. This might be a good kick for AMD(prices fixed since Zen 3 launch). The multicore will be interesting.

Yeah, didnt mention benchmarks were done on W11

So I woulnt trust any of these numbers, not even for ballpark.

If they also cherrypicked, this diffrences in real world performance from these numbes could be large.

Say amd cpus lost 10% from W11 bugs and then the cherrypicking takes resaults 5% lower than average for amd and 5% higher for intel, thats a 20% preformance change.....

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, porina said:

Decide what you are comparing here. The end product will be best used with DDR5, and I'd expect it to be in most situations. If you're looking at a microarchitecture comparison, then fair enough you want to take out platform considerations. To do so in the past I would underclock and reduce core count, so that in effect the ram limitations don't choke the core operations.

I'm not sure I would say that is valid though, if the archecture has been optimized for how DDR5 works (because it's very different) then comparing with DDR4 may not show some of the archecture improvements. DDR5 has subchannels or just more channels, doesn't matter other than each DIMM is now 2 32bit rather than single 64bit and there is also double the number of bank groups and this all means the CPU can more often receive data and do things with it which does mean you have to make archecture improvements to make best use of that change.

So even though still flawed you'd have to test DDR4 vs DDR5 at the same effective bandwidth and latency, which may be impossible to have both.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

So even though still flawed you'd have to test DDR4 vs DDR5 at the same effective bandwidth and latency, which may be impossible to have both.

I'm losing the direction of the discussion here. My reply was on the question about how much product level performance increases may be driven by the new ram coming in, and I proposed methods to defeature the ram from the performance equation. Your reply to that, seems to swing back to how DDR5 may behave differently to DDR4? Which I certainly agree there are differences we don't understand the impact of yet.

I suppose what we might need is something like CrystalDiskMark but for ram. "Sequential" would be like a peak transfer best case. Then we can come up with different types of "random" workload and that could show up latency effects more.

As for closest possible DDR4 vs DDR5 comparisons, I'm going through the just released info now but not read it in depth yet. Skimming it, it looks like even the DDR5 4800 initial rating is a best case, with 4400 actually being the official supported max for 4 slot mobos, and that drops further if you fill all 4 slots, especially with 2R modules. These kinds of speeds are well within the capability of high end DDR4, and the DDR4 timings can be relaxed to better match DDR5's. There will be enough overlap for someone to do some testing in that area.

I haven't decided yet if I'll get an Alder Lake system for testing. The tech in me say, get it. The sensible part of me says, I don't need another system, and I don't need to upgrade another system.

2 hours ago, porina said:

I'm losing the direction of the discussion here. My reply was on the question about how much product level performance increases may be driven by the new ram coming in, and I proposed methods to defeature the ram from the performance equation. Your reply to that, seems to swing back to how DDR5 may behave differently to DDR4? Which I certainly agree there are differences we don't understand the impact of yet.

I'm just concerned that with an effort to try and eliminate DDR5 gains to purely look at the CPU cores only that it may give incorrect or incomplete overall architecture gains. I don't actually think it's fair to say that some of Intel's gains "are due to DDR5" without a good way to both prove that and also factor that in to any testing.

That's why I say such an effort would only work at as close to identical bandwidth and latency then you could compare if DDR5 is giving performance gains or not, namely how much percentage of gain in applications or games is due to DDR5.

We already have DDR4 that has higher bandwidth and lower latency than current DDR5 anyway and people actually use this so technically release day reviews will be performed on systems with regressions in both total bandwidth and latency. It's not the DDR4 ram used in basically any review benchmarks though.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm just concerned that with an effort to try and eliminate DDR5 gains to purely look at the CPU cores only that it may give incorrect or incomplete overall architecture gains.

I think architecture understanding is one key part towards overall understanding. Not all tasks will be impacted by ram performance. Many compute tasks can operate largely out of on-CPU cache, so they're more or less core bound. Maybe cache performance could then be another layer to poke into, but for my interests the two extremes of CPU perf and ram perf give a good enough picture.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's why I say such an effort would only work at as close to identical bandwidth and latency then you could compare if DDR5 is giving performance gains or not, namely how much percentage of gain in applications or games is due to DDR5.

So take out the rated speed/latency consideration, and see if the new arrangement of DDR helps out (or hinders?) relative to DDR4? Directly or indirectly, I think that will be tested.

That is different from my reading of the other question I responded to, which seemed to be suggesting that, on average DDR5 systems may well operate with "faster" ram than an average DDR4 system, and that is responsible for at least part of Alder Lake's uplift in performance.

In other news, I see pre-orders have gone up at one of my favoured suppliers. Pricing is higher than I hoped for both CPU and mobo, so I think I'm out of getting my own system to test. There isn't ram pricing that I can see yet, but they're 2x16GB kits and I don't really need that capacity for a test system. On the positive side I can order a Noctua mount kit for lga1700 so I don't need to buy another cooler. The total cost is more than I want to throw on a bench system right now. If I get one at all, I'll have to wait until lower models in the range exist, if Intel don't end up copying Zen 3 strategy and what we see is what we get.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:18 AM, Master Disaster said:

Pro tip: Never believe anything you hear about a product until its in the hands of independent reviewers. Manufacturers have a habit of cherrypicking the good numbers and totally omitting the rest.

testing was on early windows 11 which AMD loss 10-15% performance on.

at least intels finally admitting turbo can be over 250W

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

People trying to run ADL with DDR4 are going to run into the same drawbacks as Rocket Lake (10nm backport to 14nm) had with regards to CML cross compatibility and RKL's structure actually designed for dual memory controllers.

People ripped into RKL hard when it came out, not understanding that sacrifices had to be made for how it was designed, and RKL is still the MOST stable platform I've ever used.  ZERO random WHEA's, ZERO parity errors, ZERO L0 Cache errors.  ZERO.  If you're unstable you just hard lock or BSOD (or an application crashes with an internal error).

Now those same people want to run ADL on DDR4, thinking "Gear 1" will save them with latency.  Yikes... Complete utter Yikes...

10 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

at least intels finally admitting turbo can be over 250W

Picking at a detail perhaps, the stated "Max Turbo Power" for the top model is 241W. Having said that, it is unclear to me how they define that. Is this the maximum power the CPU can take under non-overclocked conditions, or is it an enforced limit and it could exceed that if unconstrained (without overclocking)?

10 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Intel-12th-Gen-Core-Core-Alder-Lake-S-Final-Pricing.jpg

Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Ryzen-9-5950X.jpg

48 minutes ago, porina said:

So take out the rated speed/latency consideration, and see if the new arrangement of DDR helps out (or hinders?) relative to DDR4? Directly or indirectly, I think that will be tested.

My comments were more around what @Rautenwas saying and pointing that Intel's performance numbers being with DDR5 and "not knowing what gains were due to DDR5". Basically that's drawing on the assumption that DDR5 has higher bandwidth so gains may be from that, hence the test with DDR4 as well comment to try and show it.

It's just that DDR5 changes so much in the way it works such an endeavor is fraught with problems itself that one could end up "proving it's due to DDR5" when really it's a combination of both since Intel could have made archecturual changes on the basis of these changes in how DDR5 works.

For example Golden Cove can do 3x 256b (96 bytes) or 2x 512b (128 bytes) loads per cycle, DDR5 burst data per 32bit channel is 64 bytes so 128 bytes total where as DDR4 burst data for the single 64bit channel is 64 bytes. I don't think it's coincidence that these data sizes align like they do. So while in theory DDR5 latency is higher (for now) than good DDR4 it's the actual access latency as the memory systems in Golden Cove pull data in could be better aligned on a per cycle basis so there is less wasted cycles waiting for data to populate.

However the above should only matter, I believe, when you are stressing the memory and caches with such a workload that actual memory access becomes directly part of the workload performance.

So, how did it went? He drop it? 🙃

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/27/2021 at 6:32 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

That was quick..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD