What's something from an old build that you miss in your current one?

da na

Hot swap front bays for hard drives in my cooler master HAF X. They were great for testing or quickly using hard drives, especially 3.5” HDDs that can’t just run off a USB adapter like 2.5” HDDs can. 

I miss when video cards weren't so power hungry and monstrous and cost more than what I could build an entire system for.

My old high-refresh CRT. I had a MAG Industries 21" with 1600x1200 resolution that would do 85hz. Quake III Arena was something else. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Me? Well, 5.25 drive bays. They are the best expansion ever made. Not enough front USB ports? Chug 5.25 inch USB expansion into it. Your case doesn't have USB-C but your motherboard has a header? Chug one in. Controlling fan from software is tedious? Chug a fan controllers with knobs that can manually control fan speed. Need a small screen for AIDA hardware monitoring software? Buy a LCD screen and chug it in the bays. Always find yourself swapping HDD or SSD in and out? Get one swappable cage and chug it in. Ever need a drawer? You can chug in one. Lots and lots of usage there.

Too bad modern PC cases don't even bother to include one because of unicorn rainbow puke and the 'fashion sense' gone horribly awful that the fashion police should put an end so the public are not being tortured further. Sad to see this super useful features are going to extinct. It also saddened me more that people just under utilising it.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

You know what

6 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Me? Well, 5.25 drive bays. They are the best expansion ever made. Not enough front USB ports? Chug 5.25 inch USB expansion into it. Your case doesn't have USB-C but your motherboard has a header? Chug one in. Controlling fan from software is tedious? Chug a fan controllers with knobs that can manually control fan speed. Need a small screen for AIDA hardware monitoring software? Buy a LCD screen and chug it in the bays. Always find yourself swapping HDD or SSD in and out? Get one swappable cage and chug it in. Ever need a drawer? You can chug in one. Lots and lots of usage there.

Too bad modern PC cases don't even bother to include one because of unicorn rainbow puke and the 'fashion sense' gone horribly awful that the fashion police should put an end so the public are not being tortured further. Sad to see this super useful features are going to extinct. It also saddened me more that people just under utilising it.

You know what, you're right. I still have use a full tower that has like 8 5.25 drive bays. I never even thought about using them for draws, didn't realize that was even a thing. The other stuff, yea I remember that stuff. Good times, good times.

What I miss is not hardware but - Windows XP

It might be nostlgic view but it was so damn simple and almost fool-proof considering 10-11.

But I guess its the natural progression to add features and options. 

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

What I miss is not hardware but - Windows XP

It might be nostlgic view but it was so damn simple and almost fool-proof considering 10-11.

But I guess its the natural progression to add features and options. 

I could probably leave my XP system and 10 system on 24/7 and the 10 one would go down for one reason or another months before the XP.

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I could probably leave my XP system and 10 system on 24/7 and the 10 one would go down for one reason or another months before the XP.

I have had over all good luck with 10 not crashing, rebooting to install updates is another story... I do miss XP though, and the onslaught of alternative shells that came out for it, Astonshell, Window Blinds, LiteStep, etc. I wish the people that make the shells for Linux would port that stuff over to windows. I would love to run cinnamon instead of explorer on windows. 

Well my old build was a Core i3-2365M-equipped laptop.

So I miss portability. I can't put my tower + monitors + speakers + keyboard/mouse + desk + chair in a bag like I can a laptop.

elephants

the case having a unremoveable sticker saying:

can your PC do this?! this pc can burn cd's!!! 

lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

The ability of older builds to be compatible with anything you throw at them and not care because they can be very cheaply replaced, power supply not working, throw in another obsolete power supply, not happy with the processor, go and buy another one which is being sold for scrap, case burn't down, no problem, use it on a desk tension free. The thing i don't like about newer build is they are expensive, and you can't cut corners as the possibilty of it becoming obsolete is very high and expensive.... there are alot of tech out there that can be salvaged and used for everyday tasks but i get it that the temptation of something brand new is also too much. I no longer have any idea what i wanted to say..lol.

12 hours ago, DavidKalinowski said:

You know what

You know what, you're right. I still have use a full tower that has like 8 5.25 drive bays. I never even thought about using them for draws, didn't realize that was even a thing. The other stuff, yea I remember that stuff. Good times, good times.

Yeah, you can check this out. I'm also stumped when I find this trinket. But yeah, 5.25 inch bay drive is not fully exploited.

https://www.amazon.com/HORNO-Desktop-Computer-Accessories-Storage/dp/B08TM6RL3P

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Vista

XP

In that order I guess.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:01 PM, DavidKalinowski said:

You know what

On 9/30/2021 at 8:27 AM, Chiyawa said:

On 9/30/2021 at 7:39 PM, ShebuAli said:

The ability of older builds to be compatible with anything you throw at them and not care because they can be very cheaply replaced, power supply not working, throw in another obsolete power supply, not happy with the processor, go and buy another one which is being sold for scrap, case burn't down, no problem, use it on a desk tension free. The thing i don't like about newer build is they are expensive, and you can't cut corners as the possibilty of it becoming obsolete is very high and expensive.... there are alot of tech out there that can be salvaged and used for everyday tasks but i get it that the temptation of something brand new is also too much. I no longer have any idea what i wanted to say..lol.

This is because PCs used to a lot more modular,  nowadays they're much more proprietary and restricted, good for manufacturers,  not so good for consumers and i think this is also reflected in operating systems,  older windows versions seemed much more customizable,  i miss just booting up DOS or making every color of the UI how i want it instead of generic schemes, etc

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I don't miss Vista or 98.  XP was grand....for a time.  But it even as a fan of 7, I can't deny that 10 has better integration for SSD support.

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i miss just booting up DOS or making every color of the UI how i want it instead of generic schemes, etc

OMG yes. I used be all about alternative shells for windows. LiteStep, Astonshell, Windowblinds, there where those are the just the ones I can think of at the moment.

Having touch to click on my macbook. the school disabled it a while back. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

A decent cpu.

running a bsel modded q6600 because I killed my b250 motherboard

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I miss when laptops were SUPER upgradeable. The HP zBook G1-G3 17s for example have an upgradeable GPU (MXM); upgradeable RAM with 4 slots, meaning you can get 32GB even with DDR3, socketed CPU on the G1 and G2, and the amount of places you can install hard drives.

Please can someone tell me which laptop to buy ?

1-Gtx 1660ti (6gb)  laptop with i5 10500h 

2-, rtx 3050(4 gb) with ryzen 5 5600h

Both are at the same price in my country.

7 minutes ago, BearIsAwaken said:

Please can someone tell me which laptop to buy ?

1-Gtx 1660ti (6gb)  laptop with i5 10500h 

2-, rtx 3050(4 gb) with ryzen 5 5600h

Both are at the same price in my country.

This isn't the place for this... but #2 is better