How do you build?

Borgus Bohr

*Not sure if this belong in this forum ''category'', but my question felt too general to put anywhere else.

Personally, my last choice of component when building a new computer, is the case. I normally base my case options on my cooling system, but first, is always the CPU. What is your way of planing and building a computer?

⌨️🤔

Normally I build around a theme, but I am pretty spartan, I like all black/grey or red nothing fancy like rgb). From there I start with the CPU and move on from there.

My choice of CPU depends on the workload I plan to put on it. Top tier is not the always the goal, if it goes to waste, I'll use a lower end or mid-tier CPU for the build.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

For me, it goes CPU, MOBO, Cooler, RAM, GPU, PSU, Case, Storage, then balance everything to go under budget. I basically pick components in the order of least difficult to upgrade (RAM and GPU are pretty interchangeable for which I pick), as well as easiest to cheap out on to let me get the bigger ticket items like the CPU and GPU. 

That being said, there are some builds where I do go in a different order. For my current system I went cooler, GPU, CPU, Case, PSU, storage, mobo, RAM. I wanted to do a custom loop, then the 30 series and Ryzen 5000 was announced, so I knew which of those to get, and everything else was trying to accommodate those (case big enough to hold dual 360mm rads, large enough PSU for a 3080, etc.)

Usually, I see a part I want and go with it. Then build around it. For example, I wanted 5900x and 6800xt. I didn't get a 5900x since I got my parts in November. I was able to get the 6800xt and 5800x when the 6900xt dropped. Then at first, I wanted to see how small of a case I could fit it in. I found the limits of that and then went for high airflow high cooling. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Well, every PC build I've done has been inspired by the motherboard/CPU that I have laying around. For Y2K I had an ASUS P3V4X + Pentium III 500 Katmai, so I built a PC around it. Same story for P4HT - I got an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe + Pentium 4 3.4 Prescott, so I built a PC around that. P4HT isn't done as the P4C800-E Deluxe needs recapping though.

For Phenom, again - motherboard+CPU. ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 + Phenom II X4 955. I recently got a Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 as well which I'll be swapping in once I have time.

With each build I try to add a unique marker. For Y2K I have a bunch of external drives - optical, 5.25" floppy, 3.5" floppy, Zip, for P4HT I have a bunch hard drives, for Phenom the system is designed to be as CPU-oriented as possible (it runs my Minecraft Java server) - 3D Rage II +DVD PCI video card, 24GB of RAM, and 2 cores disabled on the CPU for a high overclock. In my main system it's packed as full as I can get it - 2 graphics cards, 32GB RAM, full front bays, no power cables left unused, etc.

elephants

Pretty much same as @FakeKGB - I find parts and then build an era appropriate build if it's a retro thing. I mainly do refurbishing of prebuilt office PCs, in which case they get a dual monitor 1gb Radeon HD, 8gb of ram, 240gb SSD and a quad core CPU. 

I go through, buy a used PC for every part I want. Then part out the rest of the PC.

I'm usually a generation behind, but I don't really play a ton of games so it doesn't really matter much.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

38 minutes ago, Borgus Bohr said:

*Not sure if this belong in this forum ''category'', but my question felt too general to put anywhere else.

Personally, my last choice of component when building a new computer, is the case. I normally base my case options on my cooling system, but first, is always the CPU. What is your way of planing and building a computer?

⌨️🤔

Note: I've only ever build one pc so I'm not exactly an experiencer builder.

The way I build my PC was first decide the budget, second take 30-50% percent of that and see what the best GPU you can but, and then I decided the parts around that GPU e.g. not using a 10100 and a 3080 or spending 200 on the gpu and 200 on the case and/or rgb. And as far as actually building the PC I basically just followed an ltt tutorial, mobo, CPU, cooler, ram, m.2 SSD, case, psu, GPU and I at least tryed to cable manage along the way but my case didn't make it easy.

For me its the opposite, ill start with the case as its the thing I'll be looking at all the time and also temps/airflow is important to me (although that's difficult to fully judge *before* the build is actually done)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'll start with the CPU and motherboard. Then I'll pick up everything else around it as follows; CPU cooler, RAM, storage, GPU, PSU, and case. I'll refine it more afterwards to bring the price down below my budget. Any accessories/extras like keyboard and mouse or case fans I don't really include as its the main system. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I pick the CPU and MB first, then the cooling and the case. Then i choose the gpu, and then based off that i can decide PSU, RAM, Storage, ect.

Its never always been the same for me but for instance in the latest one I built it was a case decision first, I saw the 7000x launch and decided I really wanted that case, so then I chose parts to fill it out such as using dual res/pump, 420mm and 360mm rads and push pull fan configs where they fit. For the actual components I carried over a lot from my last system and the gpu I picked was based strictly on what was available at the store at the time that I could order a water block for, hence I ended up with a TUF 6800

I pick the CPU and motherboard then go case and cooling with everything else in between.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Me: "What's a good, highish end computer case, to hold 3x5.25" bay devices for my BDRE drive and two hot swap hard drive bays?

Internet: High end and 5.25" bays?  We got cases where the front is made of GLASS how's that?"

Me: One Corsair Carbide 200R plz. >_>;

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

I've not done a full new build in a long time. upgrades and builds tend to be done around whats good value parts, its why I've got a 2700x over a 3600x, because 2700X were on fire sales start of 2020 for 130$

Cases is easy for me, I keep reusing my obsidian 350D with my 750D as an option if I go full ATX which I might for my next build.

I need HDD bays I'm not someone who can leave them behind, at least 3 is my requirement.

as for colors I tend to go mostly black with a few splashes around, right now I've got LTT fans with their orange and some silver on my b450m pro4

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

My builds are now about what it takes to feed a particular GPU and keep that GPU cool under load.

I use either a big air cooler or a 360mm AIO so the CPUs are fine. 

The 30 series cards have put even more emphasis on cooling the GPU since half the cases I own have failed even though they were fine with overclocked RTX 2080 tis in them.

All are called high air flow but that seems to only mean that they have lots of holes.

My motherboards are mostly high end now since I have less issues with them. I do more research on them than anything else.

My PSUs are 1000 watts plus because they last the longest and power is going up with GPUs even though die size is going down. 

The last thing I buy is the motherboard since if there is a boot issue 99% of the time it is the motherboard and I want to return it and not deal with a warranty.

All my builds start on a test bench and the GPUs are tested separately on established builds.

My latest build was last month and it is an i9 10900kf on a Aorus Master Z490 with a RTX 3080 ti.

It was going to go into a Corsair 5000d but I tested the 5000d with my old i7 8086k/Hero X setup along with the 3080 ti and I could not get the GPU temps down to were I wanted so it was replaced with a lian li o11 dynamic.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Well, since most of my PC buying has been laptops, the order is a bit different. 

-When I got my Borg Cube, Case was consideration #1.  I knew I was going to put an xx80 GPU in it.  16gb ram, but wasn't too concerned with CAS timings, speeds, etc.  And the i5 was the first i5 with 6-cores, so that was an easy downgrade from my usual i7 fare.  M.2 SSD was still a bit rich for my blood in 2018, so SATA SSD boot + HDD rounded out the mix.  PSU, MOBO and everything else was "whatever comes with it".  Although I do seem to recall upgrading the MOBO from the default choice...

-Laptops (assuming the right size form factor) are easily "what display" at #1.  GPU is #2.  #3 is "what is cooling like?"  #4 is probably "does it have a backlit keyboard?"  CPU, storage and RAM are virtually irrelevant considerations--given that the perfect solution for #1-4 (if it even exists) usually yields like 1 choice.

P.S.

My STX build was also built around the case.  And I pretty much struck out trying to get a bare mini-STX MOBO, NUC box was the only option.

18 hours ago, Borgus Bohr said:

⌨️🤔

step one: open pc part picker

step two: select item (start with motherboard, then gpu, then ram, then cpu, then ssd, then peripherals)

step 3: sort by: price

no, but in seriousness, the first, and maybe only pc I'm going to make in the near (10 years) future will be top of the line, and a bit less than 10x cheaper than this one which I made with the steps above (around 10.5k), and I feel like the order of part choice I listed is accurate

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Finnegan16/saved/q4G9cf

• here's the method I showed above ^