TV-Style ads coming to console gaming before the end of 2021

20 hours ago, Spotty said:

Then the argument would be made that traditional TV ads, and the ads that would appear in the games which you believe should be banned, are equally art as you hire actors, script writers, animators, special effects artists, costume designers, directors, music composers, music performers... 

by definition everything can be art

pretty sure that there was an artist that was selling his own shit

6 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If I am literally phoning them in connection with giving them money,

Whats worse is when Comcast does that when you call in for tech support. Literally the tech support agent will try to sell you more service. Its like Im calling in because the service doesnt work. What the hell are you trying to sell me more service that probably wont work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Double Post

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

but wth does mean tv style advertisement?

the advertisement that are on the tv, are usually target to a specific demographic (usually old geezer/"popular" consumer)

if they do recycle the same ads into games, I doubt that they would have the same success, since the demographic should be different

20 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

the advertisement that are on the tv, are usually target to a specific demographic (usually old geezer/"popular" consumer)

if they do recycle the same ads into games, I doubt that they would have the same success, since the demographic should be different

I think they mean "Style" as in video content or targeted to the audience playing the game based on the demographic or collected data on the individual. ie young players getting mountain dew ads vs older players getting car ads with the same 30-60sec video length and message/companies who advertise on traditional TV.

but that's a guess based on the wording and current "tv ads"

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Anyone play Uncharted 3 free to play multiplayer on PS3? Naughty Dog did a similar thing. I remember seeing dozens of Last of Us adverts, (this was shortly before it's release) and adverts for other Sony titles/products if I'm not mistaken.

I can somewhat see the use case for F2P titles, if this eliminates pay to win and other shady microtransactions then that's a plus, but if we're being honest...we know it won't.

6 hours ago, 12345678 said:

You clearly don't know how TV advertising work and have not observed enough.  What advertisements you see are tailored to the audience demographics because that's how you sell ads.  You will see different kinds of ads on different channels and even at different times of day as who is in the audience will vary.  24/7 news channels do often lean towards the Gen X or older audience who are aging and you'll see that reflected in their ads.  But watch daytime children's programming and you'll see children's products and products aimed at parents.  Daytime talk shows with content aimed at the that demographic.

That said different methods of consumption has it's own demographics too. The younger the demo the more streaming services they're using as opposed to traditional cable but guess what?  YouTube has ads too.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Nonsense like this makes me glad that my consoles only connect to the internet to download games/patches and then go months without access to the net. 

There are a few things i agree and disagree with. 

Ads on console games would be ok as long as they are not interactive to the user, the ads are based on the type of content your are playing, and only run during loading screens.

What is not ok is putting ads on the console itself, paying hundreds for a console and an online sub on top of that is a breaking point for me. At one time i was an xbox player, then they put ads on the dashboard. I have been a ps player since..

I feel if the ads benefit the developers and in turn create better games then ads would be ok in my book.

Ads regardless are things I find unacceptable in this day of age considering how annoying and intrusive they can be. Getting them on console games can be pretty problematic considering the audience they're trying to target. It doesn't matter whether they are free or heck paid games. I know how people like to ignore ads in general, but ultimately you will get the incentive to buy or try the advertised item out and this is especially the case for younger people. If there are ways to avoid the ads by some adblocking software like Pihole, it should definitely be used.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Bloody hell, how much lower are console games going to fall? Pretty much X360/PS3 end of the era started to be at the PC level with XOne/PS4 being PCs (you install and update every game, you spent time to do that and you deal with the lack of storage, that is a PC not a console anymore) and now they are heading directly to the bottom of the barrel, the latrine of gaming where game is only 50% of the time and rest are ads, the mobile game level. Good thing PS5 and Xbox Series are harder to get in some places with reasonable prices than left kidneys.

Product placement is fine for me, even must in certain games to create the atmosphere and immersion. But "TV-style" ads? You mean those garbage things that are slapped wherever they are going to be seen and everybody used to hate because they interrupted the show? The same shit that takes 50% of the mobile gaming time because you cannot do a fracking thing during an ad? Yeah, no way Jóse, I already stopped getting consoles when they lost the ability to just slap the game in and play, now you say there is a chance I would also need to wait even 5 seconds watching some ad of a product I probably will circle like a cancer because its ad made me wait to play a game after I waited it to be updated and all that crap and I cannot even mod or hack those things away. Yeah, nope, not gonna buy and never going to approve.

But if we take the current degenerative way world is going, gamers are probably going to drool over those ads and show off statistics how much ads they have watched without thinking twice what they actually are. Like seriously degenerated world, band-shirts used to be a way to show your support for something, sponsors on athletes shirts pay for them to wear those shirts, and then we have the degenerated common mass that thinks "Company X"-logo on their shirt is some kind of "design" and "style", no, it's an ad and you just paid to be a walking billboard for the company. That your shirt has cat-sized letters saying "NIKE" is an ad and you were stupid enough to pay for it.

8 hours ago, Thaldor said:

But if we take the current degenerative way world is going, gamers are probably going to drool over those ads and show off statistics how much ads they have watched without thinking twice what they actually are. Like seriously degenerated world, band-shirts used to be a way to show your support for something, sponsors on athletes shirts pay for them to wear those shirts, and then we have the degenerated common mass that thinks "Company X"-logo on their shirt is some kind of "design" and "style", no, it's an ad and you just paid to be a walking billboard for the company. That your shirt has cat-sized letters saying "NIKE" is an ad and you were stupid enough to pay for it.

A little aggressive there in that assertation, but not wrong.

Here's the thing. Some brands (eg NIKE, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Apple, Lexus, etc) are considered Luxuries, and demand a premium. If they start offering the same product without their brand (eg a white-label version), it would command a much cheaper price, and then you take into counterfeiting.

The "Brand" itself is the trademark, that's what keeps someone from selling a 99cent LVMH knock-off purse made of plastic and made in china from a $3000 hand-made purse from europe. Yet, go wander outside any asian store, you'll see these counterfeits in the front window. This means that some amount people you see "wearing" these brands, likely aren't wearing the authentic product anyway.

So while I won't buy clothing for the brand, they are not on the level of "band t-shirt"'s , band t-shirts (and similar things like event t-shirts) are cheaply made, usually domestically on a silkscreen or worse, inkjet iron-on transfer. My dad made one shirt like this to protest something once. You spend $5 on the shirt and then sell them for twice to ten times as much. 

The thing is, everything I see that plops ads into it, is usually pretty close to flying off a cliff and going out of business. Companies like EA show they have no regard for the IP they have, let alone the customers they have, and it's like... why would I ever spend money on their games with how they treat everyone. For all intents, if there is something else out there, I'd rather buy that instead. 

There are plenty of indies out there that have produced much more interesting games with much smaller budgets and staff, and it's just like, where IS all this money going? It's clearly not going into the game any more.

Well, we'll see what happens. EA has supposdely denied this.

https://apptrigger.com/2021/07/03/ea-games-advertising/

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-company-is-putting-video-ads-in-games-and-ea-has-already-signed-up/

"Following incorrect reports suggesting that we are looking to introduce 'TV-style' commercials into our games, we wanted to clarify that in-game advertising for console games is not something we're currently looking at, or have signed any agreements to implement," an EA spokesperson said. "Creating the best possible player experience remains our priority focus."